Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Best Bootleg from the 1972 Tour
Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: May 8, 2019 21:35

Why not just collect every show? Then you can judge for yourself! That's the fun of it....then you can start on the '73 tour...or 1969...maybe '75...so many great recordings and performances--don't limit yourself to soundboards or well-known famous boots.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 10, 2019 16:37

Ft Worth TX - June 24 1972 First Show
1. Gimmie Shelter
2. Dead Flowers
3. Sweet Black Angel
4. Happy
5. Tumbling Dice
6. Love In Vain
7. Sweet Virginia
8. You Can't Always Get What You Want
9. Midnight Rambler
11. Rip This Joint
12. Street Fighting Man

Was that really the setlist? If so, that's an interesting order. Probably because the two shows in one day deal.

Anyway, the separation between instruments is much better during the evening show. I wish we had some more separation on Sweet Black Angel, because the horns are playing some really cool stuff and I'd like to hear Nicky Hopkins and Mick Taylor's harmonic contributions a bit clearer.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 11, 2019 12:35

Brown Sugar
Bitch
Rocks Off
Shelter
Dead Flowers
Sweet Black Angel
Happy
Dice
Love In Vain
Sweet Virginia
You Can't Always Get What You Want
All Down The Line
Rambler
Rip This Joint
J Jack Flash
Street Fighting Man

Was the real setlist, first show.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: May 11, 2019 13:04

Palace Revolution 2000

And I truly apologize for repeating myself here again and again, and it is slightly OT - but Australia '73, which is almost the same setlist, and definitely the same vibe as '72 , is IMO still the very best. Performance and Sound Quality.

I agree...That Perth '73 (Happy Birthday Nicky) boot is fantastic...my absolute favorite and I enjoy it much more than anything from '72. It captures the Stones perfectly....raw, sloppy and loud. I love the sound on it, the separation of the instruments. It's like you're sitting on stage with the band.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: May 11, 2019 14:00

Gold Stones era.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: May 11, 2019 22:00

The 7 cd box (S.T.P.) is great and a must have. Also the Pittsburg concert is awesome sounboard, though the performance is so so. Ycagwyw is wonderful from Pittsburg. Then you have welcome to new york, The audience recordings from Norfolk, Charlotte and Mobile are great. Also the Keep your Motor running is good. The holy grale is the recordings from down under '73 IMO - and of cource the L&G soundtrack...

Date: May 11, 2019 23:25

I've always loved that Pacific Tour, Benefit Concert included. It's really cool to hear them play that old stuff: "Definitely Vintage"!

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: May 13, 2019 14:14

While the 7CD Rattlesnake box is nice, glossy, and has some cool graphix, truly the the 8 CD collection "Work Sucks, Let´s Go On Tour" is perhaps one of my all-time Stones' CD sets. As mentioned up above, it was compiled by a fan from Undercover who fixed errors, added missing songs etc., and, if there is one essential documents from the 1972 STP, this is it. As mickijaggeroo said above - Absolutely outstanding.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: May 13, 2019 15:38

'72 was a very powerful tour.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 13, 2019 17:48

TheflyingDutchman

It was indeed. But I gotta say the official audio release of the Ladies and Gentlemen soundtrack should have sounded way better with today's technology.. Maybe it's just me but to my ears it just sounds thin and trashy. It should at least sound as good as Ya Yas. To my ears it doesn't. I like the performances but the sound quality keeps me from going back to it much.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 13, 2019 21:38

HonkeyTonkFlash
TheflyingDutchman

It was indeed. But I gotta say the official audio release of the Ladies and Gentlemen soundtrack should have sounded way better with today's technology.. Maybe it's just me but to my ears it just sounds thin and trashy. It should at least sound as good as Ya Yas. To my ears it doesn't. I like the performances but the sound quality keeps me from going back to it much.

Agreed. It's a lazy release – clearly they didn't do a new mix from multi tracks or anything like that. They should put out something much better from this tour. Many of the boots are better listens.

My favourite of the bunch is probably the Charlotte recording. Such a great, tight, lively performance, and a fine audience recording.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-13 21:39 by LieB.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: May 14, 2019 22:44

My 1973 experience was that they were VERY sloppy (testimony in the cassette recording I made) if 1972 was the warm up for 1973, they were pretty tepid

Maybe it was the afternoon shows that flattened the mood, night lights would add atmosphere- not to be regrettably.

I totally agree with the comments about the poor sound on L&G and wonder if there is a better version that could be 'added'

Date: August 17, 2020 21:07

I've been listening to the proposed album, specifically "Keep Your Motor Running", it's awesome. One question: why use You Can't Always Get What You Want from Ladies & Gentlemen? It's so much more narrow than the great stereo separation on the rest of the album?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-18 04:53 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 17, 2020 22:15

Charlotte and the NYC third show are great ,but the sound on both is pretty crappy.The Ladies and Gentleman performances are great too,but the sound is really bad.I’d be very happy if they could have made it sound like the 1971 Roundhouse tracks on the Sticky Fingers deluxe

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: August 18, 2020 02:09

Anyone have a link to the best Charlotte show?

Date: August 18, 2020 15:19

Philadelphia should be the next vault release.

Date: August 18, 2020 15:27

TravelinMan

Would have been great. BUT: They need to reverse the channels! Having Keith in the left channel makes me dizzy smiling smiley

Date: August 18, 2020 15:53

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan

Would have been great. BUT: They need to reverse the channels! Having Keith in the left channel makes me dizzy smiling smiley

Absolutely!

I actually did this because I subbed YCAGWYW in the Keep Your Motor Runnin boot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-18 15:54 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: August 18, 2020 19:16

Just a few years ago, I did an extensive "taste test" of all the popular 72 releases. Very unscientific, and purely based on the most satisfying performance and sound quality TO MY EARS.

Philadelphia Special was my winner, hands down. Worthy of an official remaster and release for the Vault series.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-18 19:17 by Kennedy.

Posted by: HTD ()
Date: August 18, 2020 20:28

When LAGTRS came out on official video, I read that the audio came directly from the audio track on physical film stock. The actual film that was the source for the official release was found in Ian Stewart's garage and it was in almost pristine condition so it was used for the official release. The multi-track audio masters have yet to be located. So that's why the official CD audio is less than great.

Duck

Date: August 18, 2020 20:56

HTD
When LAGTRS came out on official video, I read that the audio came directly from the audio track on physical film stock. The actual film that was the source for the official release was found in Ian Stewart's garage and it was in almost pristine condition so it was used for the official release. The multi-track audio masters have yet to be located. So that's why the official CD audio is less than great.

Duck

That makes sense. Hopefully the Stones have some tapes from that tour, I know a bunch of shows were recorded including Philly.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 19, 2020 07:08

Agree on the sound on the L n G CD.

Any votes or thoughts on Winterland San Francisco?

plexi

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 19, 2020 11:54

I play the DSP Remaster of the Ahmet Artegun tape a lot, the 6/24 Fort Worth show with Don't Lie To Me. This DSP remaster really is good.

Mathijs

Date: August 19, 2020 13:11

I know it’s not 1972,but I always liked the Honolulu and Melbourne shows from 1973.Too bad their shows for Japan and I think Hong Kong were cancelled that year.The band plays great in Melbourne.The Honolulu shows have a cool vibe about them

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-19 13:14 by Taylor1.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: August 19, 2020 13:20

Date: August 19, 2020 14:35

Mathijs
I play the DSP Remaster of the Ahmet Artegun tape a lot, the 6/24 Fort Worth show with Don't Lie To Me. This DSP remaster really is good.

Mathijs

Is that similar to Ft. Worth Express? That’s one of the first boots I remember.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-19 14:36 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: August 19, 2020 14:42

HEILOOBAAS
jagbo

Don’t want to show the whole qoute, but you write everything very was very bad on that concert, except for one rearly played song Sweet Black Angel. That’s strange! Why would only be that song outstanding......spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 19, 2020 15:13

TravelinMan
Mathijs

Mathijs

Is that similar to Ft. Worth Express? That’s one of the first boots I remember.

There's a couple of boots from this soundboard tape, I think 'Ahmet Artegun We Thank You' was the best known one. I believe this tape was remaster by DSP, and I forgot who that was....I downloaded it from the Hot Stuff page.

Mathijs

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: August 19, 2020 15:51

I agree! The three shows in Philly were great. I have yet to hear a better performance of All Down the Line. This live version on the Philly Special boot is one of my favorite live recordings of any Stones songs. Taylor’s slide work and solo are magnificent. Check it out when you can.

Date: August 19, 2020 19:06

Are you talking about the All Down the Line,July 21,1972show?That is also my favorite.My second is the first Brussels show,1973.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1879
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home