Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT:Roger Waters reviews and comments
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 19, 2007 06:26

I'm going to see Roger Waters tomorrow night in Oakland. Has anyone seen a recent setlist from this tour? I beleive the last show was Sat. in vegas.....I Know he does all of Dark Side Of The Moon....But interested in what else he plays............Thanks for any help.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-24 10:10 by bv.

Re: OT:Roger Waters set list
Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: June 19, 2007 06:54

I heard it's the same as last years tour..in exact order, etc. Still a great show.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 19, 2007 07:03

In The Flesh
Mother
Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Have A Cigar
Wish You Were Here
Southampton Dock
The Fletcher Memorial Home
Perfect Sense Part 1 & 2
Leaving Beirut
Sheep

Speak To Me
Breathe
On the Run
Time
The Great Gig In The Sky
Money
Us and Them
Any Colour You Like
Brain Damage
Eclipse

The Happiest Days Of Our Lives
Another Brick In The Wall Part 2
Vera
Bring The Boys Back Home
Comfortably Numb

Date: June 19, 2007 07:36

Yeah that's the one I saw. I guess he hasn't changed it. Thanks guys. I'll let you know the show was.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: June 19, 2007 08:23

awesome, enjoy scl!!

Re: OT:Roger Waters Review
Date: June 21, 2007 01:30

I saw Roger Waters last night in Oakland. I thought I'd give a brief review. The setlist was exactly as posted above and I guess the same as last years tour. Good show overall,but let me do what I do best. Nit-Pick. I think he should have started with Dark Side Of The Moon then done the other Floyd material in the second half. But some of the highlights:Mother,Have A Cigar,Sheep. But he should not be playing Wish You Were Here. This is totally a Gilmour song and Waters does not sing it well. The Dark Side Of The Moon part of the show was good,moved quickly. Although I actually tend to prefer Wish You Were Here as a whole over Dark side. But he brought the house down with Brain Damage at the end. A few comparisons to the stones and the bashing they've received lately. Ticket prices $125. Waters had an 11 piece band including back up singers. Old rockers don't die.........They just charge more for tickets.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: June 21, 2007 01:33

The tour stopped in Chicago a week ago Saturday. I thought the sound was great and the band very tight. No complaints from me and I would recommend anyone to see the Roger show if they roll through your town. Top end stuff.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 21, 2007 01:55

I'm going to see him in a couple in weeks in Hartford. I can't wait! It should really be a magical night.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: June 21, 2007 01:58

I saw him in chicago as well a week or so ago. Great Show!. The set-list isnt likely to change considering its printed in the tour program. But in that book Waters explains why its structured the way it is: he views the shows as rock theater, whiche means every song has a reason for being in its place. Plus that aside, the use of visuals and other effects means that constantly rotating the set would be difficult. This is very much the same thing that Floyd apparently did when they toured in the 70s: the set list was the same for the most part night to night, so as the concentration could be on the visuals, a la the rock theater.
My only real complaint would be that Waters didnt make darkside his own: it sounded almost exactly like the Floyd album. At least in 1994 when "Pink Floyd" (Gilmour, Mason and Wright) played Darkside live, they added their own touches to it, such as different sound effects and playing.
This aside, it was an awesome show. Highlights for me included "Mother" (one of my favorite Floyd songs), Sheep, Darkside (especially Us and Them), Bring the Boys Back home and Comfortably Numb. The show delivered exactly what it promised, which was good.
As a side note, I had a conservative friend of mine with me who cringed at certain points in the show. It should be noted that Waters was very blunt with his political messages. However, one should not be discouraged, because as Waters himself points out: people should expect that and not be surprised to find that he extolls a very liberal viewpoint.
Go see the show, because if you are a Pink Floyd fan (like me) I think this is as close as you'll get to seeing anything directly connected to Pink Floyd and it may be the last time as well.

Date: June 21, 2007 02:07

Good Points Happy Jack. Yes, clearly Waters has a great mind for visuals and theatre and presenting a good show. I could have done without his over the top political statements. We can criticize are own president. I don't need Roger Waters to do it......But I digress. It was good fun and a very good show.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 21, 2007 02:23

I've seen him five times since he played his first solo gigs in 1984. I go because I like Floyd and Roger is the one who enjoys touring, or at least, he enjoys the adulation of fans who think HE was Pink Floyd and the other guys were a bunch of lazy ass-holes who were just along for the ride. Gee .... I wonder who gave them that idea. Last time I was in the cheap seats, where the fans are sometimes not too knowledgeable. In fact, during the playing of Wish You Were Here, I heard the guy behind me ask his friend "Is this song on Dark Side Of The Moon?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-21 02:25 by tatters.

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: June 21, 2007 04:06

I'm Going July 10th in Hartford Ct! Hope its good. I know I'll be feeling really good personally!!!! MEZ

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: June 21, 2007 05:34

When he toured in 2000 Texas guitarist Doyell Bromhill II (Spelled wrong) was his guitarist and on some of the Pink Floyd songs he did not play the solos note for note like the studio versions. They sounded like Stevie Ray Vaughan solos. On some of the songs fans were turning to each other with a WTF look. Gilmour solos people know and they expected to hear them that way even when performed by a different guitarist. When I saw the band last year, it seemed that everything was note for note.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: June 21, 2007 06:52

Still hoping for a Pink Floyd reunion but not holding my breath.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 21, 2007 20:01

tatters wrote:

In fact, during the playing of Wish You Were Here, I heard the guy behind me ask his friend "Is this song on Dark Side Of The Moon?"

You should have told him that it was on Exile On Main Street - he wouldn't have known the difference.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 21, 2007 20:42

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> tatters wrote:
>
> In fact, during the playing of Wish You Were Here,
> I heard the guy behind me ask his friend "Is this
> song on Dark Side Of The Moon?"
>
>
> You should have told him that it was on Exile On
> Main Street - he wouldn't have known the
> difference.

One drawback to sitting in the cheap seats is that you're often surrounded by people who decided to go at the last minute only because they had nothing better to do that night. Consider this gem I overheard at a CSNY show:

Him: The only one I recognize is Stills. He's the barefoot one. [Nash was the barefoot one]
Her: Oooh, I LOVE his songs, especially Almost Cut My Hair. [Stills didn't write or sing that one. Crosby did.]

They went on to talk about how much she likes the Moody Blues, and a host of other topics that had absolutely nothing to do with music. My wife and I finally couldn't stand it any longer and had to find other seats. I think a lot of people at that show had not the slightest idea who they were seeing .... various former members of the Eagles, perhaps?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-21 20:45 by tatters.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: June 21, 2007 20:43

Saw the show in Oakland and thought it was awesome!

Posted by: BassShredder88 ()
Date: June 23, 2007 22:20

I saw the show in Oakland last Tuesday. It really was an amazing show with a great setlist. It is almost disappointing that Roger always uses the same setlist, but I can let it slide. I mean, he DID play all of the Floyd's best songs. Sweetcharmed life said "I think he should have started with Dark Side Of The Moon then done the other Floyd material in the second half." I couldn't agree with this more. The Dark Side portion of the show was amazing - how could it not be being the entire album all the way through? - but at the same time it was a let down in my opinion. It went by all too quickly and it really was the exact same thing as the album. It only differed from the Dark Side album version in one way - Roger did not sing all the songs! And I personally felt as if this took away from the show a tremendous deal. The most notable of these songs was Money. Roger's guitar player (a completely unknown above average David Gilmore wannabe) sang the entire classic Floyd song. The entire time I was thinking, "I am seeing a really good Floyd cover band." Roger just walked around the stage playing the familiar riff on his bass, really not contributing much to the music. Roger's voice does not have the range that Gilmore has, so he is limited in songs that jump large vocal intervals such as Money. Even if Roger's voice had sounded worse than his guitar player's, I still would have liked to hear Roger attempt to take on the vocal challenge of Money. Afterall, he had enough backup singers to cover up any part that may have been too high for Roger's voice. He could have sang the low end of the harmonies.

Other songs like Time and Us and Them featured the vocals of Roger's keyboardest,once again taking on the notes that fly out of Roger's vocal range. I am not downing this part of the concert - the visuals were amazing and of course the songs did sound great. I just felt that the fans did not get their moneys worth of a Roger Waters concert - a lot of it was random musicians singing Floyd songs. I like how Roger shares the spot light, but I also know that this is only because Rogers vocals do not allow him to reach the high notes in many Dark Side songs. This is why David Gilmore is probably a better solo tourist from the Floyd.

However, the other Floyd songs that Roger sang were AMAZING! Opening with In the Flesh was a great way to start the show, and the rest of the first part of the show was everything that a Floyd fan could ask for. I was surprised that he actually played so many Floyd hits (Mother, Have a Cigar, Shine On, Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun, Sheep). It was a real treat for all Floyd fans and it made the audience feel as if they were actually at a Pink Floyd concert as opposed to just a Roger Waters Show. I thought that his political songs were unnecessarily in the American's face and felt almost awkard at some points. However, one must remember that this is Roger Waters and he does not care about the consequences of expressing his personal beliefs. He is going to say what is on his mind whether you like it or not. This is what makes him such a tremendous song writer, and also is pretty much the reason why the Floyd broke up. You can love Roger for it or hate him for it. For me, its a mixture of both.

I was thrilled that his encore consisted of selections from The Wall. Surprisingly, I thought that Bring the Boys Back Home was the best song during the encore. It was very heartfelt, and it had my adrenaline going. Comfortably Numb of course was amazing as always and was a great choice for a concert closer.

All in all, the Roger Waters show was spectacular. There were its drawbacks, but it is important to remember that this is a Waters - not a Pink Floyd - show. Roger is not the most talented muscian from the Floyd (that is by a long shot David Gilmore). But the creative genius of Roger Waters made this show something special and the songs sounded just as good as ever (only with just a little piece missing from each one).

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: June 24, 2007 00:46

tatters Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > tatters wrote:
> >
> > In fact, during the playing of Wish You Were
> Here,
> > I heard the guy behind me ask his friend "Is
> this
> > song on Dark Side Of The Moon?"
> >
> >
> > You should have told him that it was on Exile
> On
> > Main Street - he wouldn't have known the
> > difference.
>
>
> One drawback to sitting in the cheap seats is that
> you're often surrounded by people who decided to
> go at the last minute only because they had
> nothing better to do that night. Consider this gem
> I overheard at a CSNY show:
>
> Him: The only one I recognize is Stills. He's the
> barefoot one.
> Her: Oooh, I LOVE his songs, especially Almost Cut
> My Hair.
>
> They went on to talk about how much she likes the
> Moody Blues, and a host of other topics that had
> absolutely nothing to do with music. My wife and I
> finally couldn't stand it any longer and had to
> find other seats. I think a lot of people at that
> show had not the slightest idea who they were
> seeing .... various former members of the Eagles,
> perhaps?

This reminds of the people my friend and I sat next to: the whole show they looked like they were watching a movie at a movie theater: cuddled up around each other. I know Floyd Music isnt exactly the greatest to get up and dance to (thus the joke about their first greatest hits collection: a collection of great dance songs, or something like that) but still, you couldve at least looked like you knew the music. Maybe those people that sit up in the back sections arent devoted fans (the only reason I sit up there is because its all I can afford).

Date: June 24, 2007 00:56

Hey bassshredder,seems like we both saw the same show allright. I was really surprised at how good the first part of the show was. In The Flesh was really good as was Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun. Again I didn't care for his Wish You Were Here. My favorite Floyd song. When Gilmour sings it. I saw Gilmour solo last year and he opened his show by playing his entire new album. Then in the second half he did the Floyd stuff. Although he changed it up later in the tour and started opening with Breathe and Time,because people kept coming to the show late. Waiting for the Floyd stuff.

Roger Waters, Vancouver
Posted by: MsTuesday ()
Date: June 22, 2007 21:03

My goodness. The Roger Waters Concert was absolutly amazing. I couldnt take pictures at the concert, which REALLY pissed me off. But, i took picture of my poster and tee i bought. I'm surprised i only spendt $50. I brought like 150 to the concert.
Anyways
On to the concert.

Set list:

First Set[

In The Flesh
Mother
Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Have A Cigar
Wish You Were Here
Southampton Dock
The Fletcher Memorial Home
Perfect Sense Part 1 & 2
Leaving Beirut
Sheep

Second Set [DarkSideofTheMoon]

Speak To Me
Breathe
On the Run
Time
The Great Gig In The Sky
Money
Us and Them
Any Colour You Like
Brain Damage
Eclipse

Encore

The Happiest Days Of Our Lives
Another Brick In The Wall Part 2
Vera
Bring The Boys Back Home
Comfortably Numb

They opened with In the flesh, as you can see. And it was absolutly brilliant. One of my favorite songs of all time.
Leaving Bruit was a brand new song Roger Waters did
it was about his trip in afganistan where his car broke down and he had to hitch hike. And he met this really nice Afganistan...ian family. And he begins to think Are we right to bomb these people?
It was really cool, the light show ,and the picture show.

They even had the flying pig, which is legendary for a Pink Floyd show

Annd during the dark side of the moon bit
they even had a triangle thing that came down
and light shown through it just like the picture.
The rainbow and everything! It looked identical
the light moved around the audience.

It lookedexactrly like that but in REAL LIFE
and the prisim was an actually prisim, 3D

And of course they had a flying astronaut too

the ligght show was AMAZING
and the picture show

goddamnnn
it was SO good

I wanna go back

Anyways heres the stuff i got.

Thats the front of my tee

Thats the back

Theres where it says Vancouver. WOO

Okay my poster:

[[FEAR; BUILDS WALLS.]]

Re: Roger Waters, Vancouver
Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: June 23, 2007 06:52

Very nice, I didn't go as I was busy that day. Was he at GM Place? Last show at GMP for me was Rod Stewart...his tee was $42!!

Posted by: MsTuesday ()
Date: June 24, 2007 03:31

Sure was.
Wow! He charged 2 dolalrs extra! How dare he. winking smiley
The Stones tee only cost me 40$ as well.

[[FEAR; BUILDS WALLS.]]

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: June 24, 2007 03:47

(After a title like that,I can't imagine anyone is still reading this.However,we will persevere.)

Hello,

Thanks to [www.scarletmist.com] I got lucky with a couple of 6th row seats at face value.Admittedly I was in two minds about going,but I do think "Dark Side..." is still a great album,and I was almost curious to see if RW was as humourless a twat as I'd imagined.

I'll cut right to the chase-only the Stones and Rod Stewart (honestly) have matched the atmosphere that RW created,in what can be a cold and cavernous hangar.

The sound (quadraphonic of course-blimey it really is 1973) was not only @#$%& loud,but also crisp.Pyrotechnics and lasers aplenty too,and of couse a jumbo widescreen telly behind the 11-piece band.Further malarkey included a space-walking astronaut,and a flying pig.Naturally.

RW isn't the first person you'd consider to be a front-man for a band,for sure,but I was surprised at how he connected with the audience right from the bombast of the opening number-he would stalk to either side of the stage and make eye-contact,and smile/shout/cajole people into action.Quite a revelation-he must've checked his dour demeanour in at the door.

I only know DSOTM plus perhaps a dozen other Floyd songs,but what I heard sounded fabulous.The first set was made-up of Floyd ("Set The Controls...","Shine On...","Wish You Were Here") and solo stuff ("Fletcher Memorial Home","Perfect Sense").His band included Andy Fairweather-Low and P.P. Arnold.Everybody got a turn at showing-off.

There was a lot of anti-war sentiment involved which at times semed a wee bit heavy-handed.I can't say that RW is a band-wagon jumper as he's been banging that drum for many years now,but right now it's easy to have a go at Dubya and Blair.And fun too.I suppose millionaire pop-stars get to have an opinion as well as everyone else.

After a fifteen-minute break it's straight into "DSOTM" with sounded stunning,at times.When people weren't cheering it was because they were dumbstruck at the playing combined with a load of visual tricks such as the prism suspended from the ceiling,or the sine-wave projected around the arena.

Forty minutes later and a crescendo has been reached-I can only remember Motorhead being louder than this!The crowd weren't ready to go anywhere so back the band come to play some stuff from "The Wall"-something about having sufficient schooling,I think-and finishing with "Comfortably Numb".Cue arena go berserk,right back to the poor sods in row X of block 207 (almost in Cheshire).

I'll not be buying any of his solo albums,but I can 100% recommend this show if you like Pink Floyd-you will not be disappointed!

C'mon,you must have known there'd be pictures...

Nah,he never mentioned Dave Gilmour once,either!

Cheers,

Si N.

Posted by: liquorgud ()
Date: June 24, 2007 08:57

I,ve seen the two shows at madison square garden andI agree. The show is a spectactular assault on the senses

Re: OT:Roger Waters reviews and comments
Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: June 24, 2007 10:43

Great photos, thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1795
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home