Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 8 of 11
Re: Paris reports
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 17, 2007 14:13

>> When did Wanna Hold You become I Wanna Hold You? Even Keith called it by that incorrect name! <<

well hell bong - in 97 he rather famously called it I Wanna Hold You, I Gotta Hold You, I Gotta Do Something With You
(and it's listed on the B2B dvd as I Wanna Hold You, so ... so have some popcorn!) :E

Posted by: salar ()
Date: June 17, 2007 14:15

john lomax Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
basically all of the words
> of Happy and Wanna Hold You, and even made up some
> filthy words in Wanna Hold You (he said at one
> point "I'm gonna shove it up your @#$%&" - I am
> not making this up, can someone else who was at
> the show verify this).

TooTough here again: He said something like "Thanks
for keeping the town tidy from all this shit while I was away!"
EDIT: Sorry, he said this between the 2 songs!

As Salar wrote: He was totally out of everything on his own tunes.
Sad to say. But in the rest of the show he was great! I don´t know
how that all comes about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-17 14:20 by salar.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 17, 2007 15:21

it is very hard to make an idea of the show from these reviews so opposite
it is starting to be tedious because i feel i cannot trust no more what people write not because it is subjective (of course it is) but because i feel there's people round here more focused on their "agenda" (being "they are always on fire e so be it" or "they sucks and he has brain damage and so be it") than the music and the experience of the concert.

Sounds good to me when i hear someone usually being critic telling of a good concert
Sounds bad to me when i hear someone usually being cheering telling of a disaster

but how can we go on like this? it's annoying

Date: June 17, 2007 15:41

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> stoneswashed77 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > you can forget that you can post to me and i
> will
> > not react sssoul.
> > i will not go away just because you don´t like
> > what i got to say.
> > and i just won´t go away just because it seems
> > here is a community that wants to life in
> dreams,
> > fight there borders and doesn´t want to be
> > disturbed in fooling thereselfs and others.
> > but anyway i give it up on you. that i just
> > arrived last month is not true, i have been
> here
> > for years, but can´t see blue eyed wannabe
> > stonesfans fool people that come here from
> around
> > the world to stay informed about the band while
> > they can´t go see them thereselfs. it is ok to
> be
> > subjektive, but to tell the complete oppossite
> of
> > what is true is lying. that´s unfair.
> >
> > no one is actually writing negative things
> about
> > keith because of mistakes or forgetting lyrics.
> he
> > is almost not playing and if than only along
> with
> > the rest of them. someone spoke of sabotage
> > regarding keith richards guitar playing in
> paris.
> > but i know that genuine keith richards.
> >
> > there is way more wrong most people who open
> there
> > eyes can see that.
> > he needs to get hugged between songs by patti.
> is
> > that a good sign?
>
>
>
> I think the point is that you have written 30
> posts saying the same thing - the Keith is not how
> he used to be. Which is an honest opinion..
> But out of respect for Keith, and for the people
> who actually thought the shows were terrific....-
> why repeat the same lines again and again ?

i completely agree with erik and sssoul because she's telling you the same thing. your opinion deserve respect as everyone else's because in fact it is an opinion. you seem to try to force it thru this board as "fact" which is not because we dont have enough insight to say so. we can say, that is what i surely do, when we like or not how k is playing. everyone has the right to weigh k "usual" fu+++ ups as he/she wants. everyone has the right to speculate about what is behind a performance. you sure have the right to repeat endlessly you opinion and your speculation based on your (or whoever else you choose to be a reliable source - that is as i see just those who say what you think while the others are "on drugs" or "in denial").

we have the right to tell you that you are booooooring now

and i am not in denial or on drugs (as you can easily see from my posts here and elsewhere)

mau

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-17 15:43 by maumau.

Posted by: StillBannedFAH ()
Date: June 17, 2007 15:45

klypp Wrote:
> Here we go again. You people just can't leave it,
> can you?
>
> Why do I have to read all this shit about Keith
> couldn't play a single note? Or journalists never
> saw a Stones show? And that they don't know what
> the real Keith is like? And so on and so on...
>
> Thousands of people had a hell of a good time
> yesterday! If you can't live with that, go
> somewhere else. It's as simple as that!
>
> (Or even better: Go see a shrink. He might tell
> you that some people don't respond well when you
> take a leak on them...

If you cannot tolerate people's opinions who may be negative I think you are the one with the issues and should see the shrink.

Posted by: klypp ()
Date: June 17, 2007 16:02

StillBannedFAH Wrote:
>
> If you cannot tolerate people's opinions who may
> be negative I think you are the one with the
> issues and should see the shrink.

Keith couldn't play a single note, journalists never saw a Stones show...
Stuff like that..
You call that opinions????

Guess I'll see that shrink. I'm gonna tell him I'm Jesus. Bet his answer will be: Fine, everyone's entitled to an opinion...

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: June 17, 2007 16:06

My French Connection Phillipe Deliafiore states Keith very solid in Paris. Appears talk of stroke large overeaction unfounded. Nice to hear the old wizard still holding his own from the Parisians. Thanks Phillipe MEZ

Date: June 17, 2007 16:31

ah, one last thing i forgot to mention in my review [www.iorr.org]

(i'm about to catch my plane back to berlin, so i gotta make it quick.) tim reis' solo on waiting on a friend was abysmal. no melody whatsoever. i didn't think he could play worse than he did on Neighbours on Four Flicks, but he truly outdid himself last night. (or indid himself?)

please cut him loose, stones.

*and i'm just like that bird - singing just for you*

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: June 17, 2007 16:37

hum... yes if you compare Tim Ries with the Wayne Shorter's in St Louis or better the original and magic Sonny Rollins one

Posted by: StillBannedFAH ()
Date: June 17, 2007 16:46

klypp Wrote:
> StillBannedFAH Wrote:
> >
> > If you cannot tolerate people's opinions who
> may
> > be negative I think you are the one with the
> > issues and should see the shrink.
>
> Keith couldn't play a single note, journalists
> never saw a Stones show...
> Stuff like that..
> You call that opinions????
>
> Guess I'll see that shrink. I'm gonna tell him I'm
> Jesus. Bet his answer will be: Fine, everyone's
> entitled to an opinion...

Why do you even care what they say? Why does bad press bother you so much? It's just words, and you had a point that people had a good time there so why give a crap what anyone says. It's a waste of your time and energy.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 17, 2007 16:48

Neighbours from FF is awesome. One of the best things on there. IMO.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Mercury Sound ()
Date: June 17, 2007 17:10

It was my third Stade de France show in a row, after the ones in 2003 and 2006. I was in the golden square on Keith’s side, which was great.
The Stones seem to get rougher with the years, as far as their global sound is concerned. They tend to rely more and more on the guitars, and less on useless instruments or horrible backing vocals. Last night, every intervention by non-members of the Stones was useful and did bring something to the song.
The first two songs were quite worrying. We couldn’t hear the guitars properly, at least from where I was standing. It sounded like Keith had forgotten to turn his guitar up (at some point I think I saw him adjust the volume). He was looking completely off his head. Ronnie wasn’t doing much either, so “Start me up” and “Let’s spend the night together” sounded very weak.
Fortunately, the gig really started on “Rough justice”. Not a tremendous songs, but guitars were clearly heard at last. And when Keith and Ronnie play together, when they are both concerned by the song, no other band can sound as good as that.
They were on, that’s for sure. And they delivered a great version of “All down the line”. It’s not easy playing Exile songs in a stadium, except for “Tumbling dice”. But they nailed that one. Great guitar playing by Keith while Ronnie was brilliantly soloing with the bottleneck.
“She was hot” was nice, and so was “Waiting on a friend”, even though I’d rather have listened to “Sweet Virginia” to keep the Exile thing going on.
When “Can’t you hear me knockin’” started off, I thought “Midnight rambler” would have been better. I might have been wrong about that, since CYHMK was probably the highlight of the gig. The riff was as heavy as it should be, Charlie perfectly alternated quiet drumming and powerful breaks. The sax solo by Bobby Keys was enjoyable. But the best part was Ronnie’s playing, which sounded very much like Mick Taylor’s. Pretty surprising for a stadium show. The song was an ambitious attempt, and the Stones made no mistake.
“I’ll go crazy” rendered alright, “Tumbling dice” is getting a little boring looking back on it, but enjoyable when you’re at the venue.
Keith triggered off “Happy” with the riff that comes from nowhere, but then the song wasn’t too powerful. “I wanna hold you” worked the other way round: after a shy beginning, Keith and Ronnie (on the pedal steel if I remember correctly) did a great job.
Then they slid to the B-stage along with “It’s only rock’n’roll”. The stage slowly lifted while progressing towards us. The image was quite striking. A few musicians surrounded by 70,000 people and abandoning themselves to megalomania. A sound and light show so far away from rock’n’roll’s inner spirit. Insanely expensive tickets. A part of the audience who were here for the show and not the music. Merchandising. A show that doesn’t seem spontaneous at all, demanding hundreds of roadies and security guys. A show that cannot go wrong because everything is too well timed.
The stage that was sliding down the stadium looked like rock’n’roll history riding the rails of modern decadence. But the Stones talk to your guts anyhow. It’s hard to say how they are doing it. But it’s easy to know why they can: they are the Rolling Stones, the greatest rock’n’roll band ever.
As the stage was going past me, I heard the sound of their own amps, the sound they can hear on stage. It was unbelievable. That guitar sound is just unforgettable. The kind of stuff that would make you kill to attend a small club gig.
The songs played on the B-stage were nice. “It’s all over now” is always a good song to hear. I’m getting bored with “You got me rocking”. “Honky tonk women” came out great, which was a good surprise for me, as I am used to hearing weak live versions.
And then they did “Sympathy for the devil”. Mick on the roof, looking like a cross between Freddy Mercury and the devil. Sympathy is in my opinion the best song ever written by the Stones, and it’s not easy playing it right on stage. I don’t think it has ever sounded as it should since the Rock’n’roll circus, but on some bits of the song, you know that they grasp the essence of it. Especially when Keith is on. There was a moment when he was playing a great solo, while Mick finally stopped being this well-trained athlete and became Jagger for a second. “Tell me beeba, wha-my-name”. Mick+Keith. At that point, no other band can do as good as that.
“Satisfaction” sounded pretty rough too, I liked it. From this moment onwards, I didn’t get my eyes off Keith, even though everybody was looking at Mick.
“Brown sugar” might not have been brilliant, but I did the job.
And then, “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”. I was still focusing on Keith. The perfect guitar sound, the sounds that defines rock’n’roll. And Keith talking to himself while playing. I have no idea what he says in these moments, but he’s a hundred percent focused on what he does.
As long as they feel concerned about their music, I do too.

Date: June 17, 2007 17:13

toomuchforme Wrote:
> see this
> [ggalmiche.free.fr]

first thank for the link
second of course those 20 or so 1 minute clips from the concert are a small portion of the show so that one cannot honestly make a steady opinion on that (expecially because some "core issue moments" are missing...)
BUT
1 the clips are very good quality (better than most of the cell clips found on youtube - werchet, nijmengen)
2 the angle is very good to have a glimpse to what happen on stage
3 the sound is pretty good
SO
i am baffled
I hear keith is having trouble with the first chords of CYHMK and it takes a while to get the song going. Mick, on his part, enters with the wrong line.
The rest of the clips for me show a pretty damn good band on stage (given that i cant stand anymore the way HTW and SFTD are performed). Also he has a "strange way" to intro SWH, but i dont know how much you can say it is "f+++ up")
MORE
Someone hear posted that Keith has barely played last night
So the person who took these clips must have been very lucky, because Keith is driving thru (CYHMK is interesting in that Keith screws the intro but is clearly the man in charge and they all wait for him to get it going so at the same time a bad and a good sign, but to me more good because it seems he is not so carried along as i thought by reports)
I literally have shivers on the intro of happy which i cant describe other than "more than nailed" (and make sme wonder again why some people here quotes the f+++ up intros and then dont quote something like this, makes me wonder if they take for granted or if they can be "shivered" anymore). I like to be shivered by the stones and that 1-2-3 riff did that to me.
Someone hear will tell me that I am in denial now but what I am talking about here is my perception of those clips (strictly)
so i hear Chuck enter the intro of LSTNT a little shy and keith coming in to sustain and support with a good riff (not hampton 82 but still, i think is good)
i hear keith leading hard Rough Justice and IORR also It's all over now seems very good and rhythm guitar driven.
SMU seems good as usual (i.e. IOW "official" clip)
LAST BUT NOT LEAST
Blondie
i see him playing acoustic on rough justice and she was hot (which is fine with me as it just add something in the back of the songs, in most of the other clips is on stage doing BV or playing maracas (actually is backing mick in that during CYHMK). of course i havent seen/heard the rest but these 20mins of the concert makes me wonder and have a "reasonable doubt" about the "keith as disaster" sentence of some eyewitnesses.

hope none is offended by this, nor will offend me for this

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-17 17:22 by maumau.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 17, 2007 17:41

Here is 2 other links after my 3 before. " The Stones inflammes SDF " and " State of Grace "

[www.cyberpresse.ca]

[www.lejdd.fr]

I do not agree with all those laudatives articles but.

Date: June 17, 2007 17:43

yes maumau, pretty good analysis you have here.

"It's all over now" was swinging a lot, perfectly played.

the fact is Keith wanted to be the chief last night. Very involved. "I start you follow" and he was taking things in hands. But he could not do it properly during the all concert. It is something shared by the french fans on the french forum.

Of course this argument about Keith is maybe bullshit, but aren't we hardcore fans ?

the best would be a dvd release to convince you all. A nice audio recording could do it too.

I remember : london sept 13, 2003 : a mess - London sept 15 : what a show !!

Listen to Phoenix dec 13,81 : some @#$%& up and some great things in the same show.
(By the way hampton is 81)

Date: June 17, 2007 17:48

another thing to notice
Mick introduced Ronnie as Ronnie Renoir Wood, because woody has his paintings in a Paris gallery at the moment.
And Keith was introduced as keith Richard without S (he insisted on the D)

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: June 17, 2007 17:56

maumau Wrote:
> toomuchforme Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > see this
> > [ggalmiche.free.fr]
>
> first thank for the link
> second of course those 20 or so 1 minute clips
> from the concert are a small portion of the show
> so that one cannot honestly make a steady opinion
> on that (expecially because some "core issue
> moments" are missing...)
> BUT
> 1 the clips are very good quality (better than
> most of the cell clips found on youtube - werchet,
> nijmengen)
> 2 the angle is very good to have a glimpse to what
> happen on stage
> 3 the sound is pretty good
> SO
> i am baffled
> I hear keith is having trouble with the first
> chords of CYHMK and it takes a while to get the
> song going. Mick, on his part, enters with the
> wrong line.
> The rest of the clips for me show a pretty damn
> good band on stage (given that i cant stand
> anymore the way HTW and SFTD are performed). Also
> he has a "strange way" to intro SWH, but i dont
> know how much you can say it is "f+++ up")
> MORE
> Someone hear posted that Keith has barely played
> last night
> So the person who took these clips must have been
> very lucky, because Keith is driving thru (CYHMK
> is interesting in that Keith screws the intro but
> is clearly the man in charge and they all wait for
> him to get it going so at the same time a bad and
> a good sign, but to me more good because it seems
> he is not so carried along as i thought by
> reports)
> I literally have shivers on the intro of happy
> which i cant describe other than "more than
> nailed" (and make sme wonder again why some people
> here quotes the f+++ up intros and then dont quote
> something like this, makes me wonder if they take
> for granted or if they can be "shivered" anymore).
> I like to be shivered by the stones and that 1-2-3
> riff did that to me.
> Someone hear will tell me that I am in denial now
> but what I am talking about here is my perception
> of those clips (strictly)
> so i hear Chuck enter the intro of LSTNT a little
> shy and keith coming in to sustain and support
> with a good riff (not hampton 82 but still, i
> think is good)
> i hear keith leading hard Rough Justice and IORR
> also It's all over now seems very good and rhythm
> guitar driven.
> SMU seems good as usual (i.e. IOW "official"
> clip)
> LAST BUT NOT LEAST
> Blondie
> i see him playing acoustic on rough justice and
> she was hot (which is fine with me as it just add
> something in the back of the songs, in most of the
> other clips is on stage doing BV or playing
> maracas (actually is backing mick in that during
> CYHMK). of course i havent seen/heard the rest but
> these 20mins of the concert makes me wonder and
> have a "reasonable doubt" about the "keith as
> disaster" sentence of some eyewitnesses.
>
> hope none is offended by this, nor will offend me
> for this

I agree with you, the Band seems to be very good that evening and Keith looks and played way better than in Frankfurt and I'm really glad about it. The only thing i want to point out is that that may be a selection of clips where everything was fine, just look at the numbering of the clips. The songs (or the parts of it) where people reported something went wrong are left out of this selection. I know people will start bashing me now but if you want to come to a objective judgement about the show you have to take that into consideration.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-17 18:01 by firebird.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: June 17, 2007 18:00

can anyone translate these french articles?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 17, 2007 18:03

Just got home from 2 wonderfull days is Paris. What a great city, what a great time we had, and what a wonderfull concert. Merci beaucoup Paris. Merci beaucoup French Rolling Stones fans, you are great. And of course Thank you Rolling Stones. This was my 50th Rolling Stones show and it was one of the best I ever had.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: June 17, 2007 18:11

toomuchforme Wrote:
> yes maumau, pretty good analysis you have here.
>
> "It's all over now" was swinging a lot, perfectly
> played.
>
> the fact is Keith wanted to be the chief last
> night. Very involved. "I start you follow" and he
> was taking things in hands. But he could not do it
> properly during the all concert. It is something
> shared by the french fans on the french forum.
>
> Of course this argument about Keith is maybe
> bullshit, but aren't we hardcore fans ?
>
> the best would be a dvd release to convince you
> all. A nice audio recording could do it too.
>
> I remember : london sept 13, 2003 : a mess -
> London sept 15 : what a show !!
>
> Listen to Phoenix dec 13,81 : some @#$%& up and
> some great things in the same show.
> (By the way hampton is 81)

yes i agree, and i see what you mean by "keith trying to lead" and most of all i hear his f++++ ups when i listen to them (see njmengen SFTD solo on you tube)
what baffle me is the distance that has to be covered from these considerations to the argument of "the band is over" or "he has brain damage and cant play anymore". I think there's a huge difference.

Early i was expressing discomfort because it seems hard to make an idea of what is happening to the band and how they are going thru
by now my idea from reports and glimpses is of a band that is still looking for the best shape,suffers from "original sins" that is "stadium shows production" (stage, sound, megalomania) and have the first guitar, that is the most important member, a bit late in getting in his best shape.

Of course the line "they were on fire all the way thru" "best concert ever" are ridicolous because it takes that 1min of CHMK to show a moment where they were not on fire.

Still i wonder how one can say, on the other hand, "he has not even played"...
I mean, i know what does it mean when Keith pose and not play. I see 20 mins of the concert (small portion but still 1/6 of it) and he even plays on TD when he comes over to the left end of the stage... i mean I 've seen him walking over the stage not playing at all..)

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 17, 2007 18:13

toomuchforme Wrote:
> the upper level of the stade de france was not
> opened
Wrong. It was opened. And the blocks opposite to the stage were full. I was there and I saw it.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 17, 2007 18:13

Thanks for the review, Mercury Sound - nice read

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-17 18:15 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: bartfrombrussels ()
Date: June 17, 2007 18:14

What a show. What a sound. What a crowd. What a reaction from the boys to us.

F**k! I missed again the special T-shirt (after Werchter!). Only solld out side the stadium and after the show it was sold out. This is going to be the tour of the missed T-shirts. But what the heck. The music in fanf**kingtastic.

bartfrombrussels
Senior Food Critic IORR

?Remember Vilvoorde?
94 concerts & counting

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-17 18:28 by bartfrombrussels.

Date: June 17, 2007 18:16

i see what you mean firebird
and of course as i have repeatedly said. It is not possible to have a steady opinion based on these clips
to me the theory of the censored clips sounds a little bit too paranoid
i would have cut the intro of cyhmk on that basis...
anyway
the only thing that i can say and feel comfortable with is that
there seem to be a huge gap between those glimpses and the worst reviews of the band and of keith in particular

Posted by: jack_daniels ()
Date: June 17, 2007 18:21

The vieofootage is not much but the sound is great. Listen to (part of) a most beuatiful version of Waiting on a Friend:

I'm just a Monkey Man

home.planet.nl/~verm6412/

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 17, 2007 18:22

I was really p****d off about Frankfurt, but this gig brought the smile back to my face.
I really had a good time at Stade de France - great venue, very good sound and the band obviously loves to give everything when in Paris.
Keith was having fun on stage - quite the opposite from Frankfurt.
I quite agree to the reports of salar and bongster, so I needn't write another one - as I'm still knackered from the trip - no sleep in Paris, you know....

so how about some pics winking smiley

oh, Keith seems have some new stuff in the back.New Amp?

...outside the Some Girls Bar, early in the morning.
It's the red house over yonder

Date: June 17, 2007 18:25

indeed some pics:

I'm just a Monkey Man

Date: June 17, 2007 18:26

I'm just a Monkey Man

Date: June 17, 2007 18:27

I'm just a Monkey Man

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-17 18:29 by jack_daniels.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: June 17, 2007 18:31

Thanks openg-g and jack daniels. Great pics

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-17 18:40 by Sohoe.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 8 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1755
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home