Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11
Re: Paris reports
Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 17, 2007 10:35

toomuchforme Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> But let's come back to Keith.
> I think there is a problem, really.
> But what is weird is the way he forgot the lyrics
> (he sings "happy" and "wanna" for 30 years and
> even more for "happy" !) and could not start on
> solos when we were waiting for them. Mick said
> many times "yes" "come on" and was looking at the
> guitars quite often, waiting for Keith to go on.

Yes. He was nervous, somewhat driving Keith, dictating him what to play, when to stop. He acted like an automate or a puppet.

> It is like Keith has some "holes" in mind.

I don't kow if there is a video of BS but there it is obvious. He mixed up 2 or 3 songs.

> And you did not see him running on stage ! A few
> meters and he was about to fell down. He did some
> great efforts during the show, to move on, being
> infront the stage.

Some drugs or medicines. I still wonder. But he was somewhat crucified. Laughing in the vague, trying to tell the others : that's the best I can offer.

> But the general feeling is that something is going
> wrong. You could say is tired but the tour has
> just begun !

That's a real worry.

> I will see after Lyon gig if I have the same
> feeling.

See you there.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: June 17, 2007 10:36

john lomax Wrote:
and even made up some
> filthy words in Wanna Hold You (he said at one
> point "I'm gonna shove it up your @#$%&" - I am
> not making this up, can someone else who was at
> the show verify this).

did he really?? that is hilarious!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 17, 2007 11:26

>> even made up some filthy words in Wanna Hold You
(he said at one point "I'm gonna shove it up your @#$%&" <<

LoFL! he did something like that at Buenos Aires in 92 (a Winos gig) - was it Wicked As It Seems? :E
the phenomenon of Keith improvising lyrics (and/or simply forgetting them) is nothing new.
as someone's already noted, people who aren't very familiar with what Keith does might have different expectations,
but he's been doing that for decades. and this improv you've reported sounds like genuine Keith-in-Concert joy -
i'd love to hear it! :E

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-17 21:05 by with sssoul.

Posted by: vinckske ()
Date: June 17, 2007 11:38

Just read the BV Paris report.
Couldn't agree more.
The Paris show was fantastic.
Definitely the best 2007 show so far.
After the rather negative vibes I read here and there on this forum , it is great to see that they still rock as the best.
Thank you boys...
Cheers,
Jimmy

Posted by: klypp ()
Date: June 17, 2007 11:39

Here we go again. You people just can't leave it, can you?

Why do I have to read all this shit about Keith couldn't play a single note? Or journalists never saw a Stones show? And that they don't know what the real Keith is like? And so on and so on...

Thousands of people had a hell of a good time yesterday! If you can't live with that, go somewhere else. It's as simple as that!

(Or even better: Go see a shrink. He might tell you that some people don't respond well when you take a leak on them...)

Posted by: harald2002 ()
Date: June 17, 2007 11:42

yes, klypp! thank you! exactly what i'am thinkig too!!! THANKS !

Date: June 17, 2007 11:44

>> This man I deeply admire nailed all his standards <<

phd, the idiom "to nail sth" means to get it perfect (or even better).

three pound ten please :E

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 17, 2007 11:55

vinckske Wrote:
> Just read the BV Paris report.
> Couldn't agree more.
> The Paris show was fantastic.
> Definitely the best 2007 show so far.
> After the rather negative vibes I read here and
> there on this forum , it is great to see that they
> still rock as the best.
> Thank you boys...
> Cheers,
> Jimmy

True. But we probably had to be there to really know for sure. I bet it was good though. Christ, every time Keith hits a wrong note these days, we get a whole thread on him being brain damaged or worse. There ought to be a law against that.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 17, 2007 12:01

"There ought to be a law against that." Fully agree.

But did ya hear, he said/sang some durty words... yawning smileyyawning smileyyawning smiley
Naughty naughty Keef... winking smiley

Posted by: gstone ()
Date: June 17, 2007 12:09

Once he signed in in a hotel in Athens, using the name "Mr. Filthy"... Babylon tour. Anyway, great, wonderfull and just fantastic to see he's shining and sparkling again. I've missed that impish, devil's smile - the rude attitude, the bad boy delivering not only the silver - but also the gold. And in Paris - he returned - just like that. I love it. God bless tha man.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 17, 2007 12:09

You're in for such a treat in Brno my friend. smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Date: June 17, 2007 12:19

with sssoul Wrote:
> >> This man I deeply admire nailed all his
> standards <<
>
> phd, the idiom "to nail sth" means to get it
> perfect (or even better).
>
> three pound ten please :E

I owe you 3 pounds then. As you rightly read my few words, I meant messed up . For Klipp, it is not because someone does not write what should be written that you must be outlawed. A forum is just the reverse. I did not break any law as far I know. If you are objective, you can read my post on Paris 2006. Easy to search and find here.

Date: June 17, 2007 12:33

phd Wrote:
If you are objective, you can read my post
> on Paris 2006.

I'm NOT objective. God forbid!

Date: June 17, 2007 12:41

Klypp, here's for you 1 post from last year. Hope to meet you and discuss along somewhere this tour.

Re: whats going on in Paris?
Posted by: phd (IP Logged)
Date: July 29, 2006 01:37

Just came back from the show. The Stones were just simply fabulous. The setlist was perfect. The audience very responsive. Mick in great shape as well as Charlie. Keith received a real ovation as a reward for his sharp and rough guitar playing tonight. I can't say a lot about Ronnie. The peaks were,for me, JJF,MR, Paint it Black,YCAGWYW and Satisfaction. Great thanks to this Band who can still astonishes a rock audience. I was also positively surprised by the average age . I would have expected it older, but in fact very mixed. Thanks to them.

Date: June 17, 2007 12:50

>> I owe you 3 pounds then <<

three pound ten, actually. :E (maybe you want to edit your previous post, so it communicates what you meant)
as for "objective" ... well, opinions are subjective by definition. (that one's on the house!)

Date: June 17, 2007 13:10

phd Wrote:
> Klypp, here's for you 1 post from last year. Hope
> to meet you and discuss along somewhere this
> tour.
>

Well, I'll stick around St. Gothenburg. Dunno if I can make it anywhere else this summer...

As for music discussion, ONLY if you can go along with this:

Music is NOT about hitting notes, it's about hitting hearts!!!

See you?

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: June 17, 2007 13:10

---
people who aren't very familiar with what Keith does might have different expectations,
but he's been doing that for decades. and what you've reported sounds like genuine Keith-in-Concert joy :E
----

no, if you think this is genuine keith richards than you don´t know him and seem not to like him very much.

if this was genuine keith richards, if this was what keith richards is all about.
he would never have had an audience he would not be considered as one of the most important guitarists, and noone would remember him until today.

keith richards is more than just making only a few mistakes, it´s actually playing the thing better than anybody else. which is a description of the past.

Posted by: arizojp ()
Date: June 17, 2007 13:19

Video report on LCI, french news TV:

[tf1.lci.fr]

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: June 17, 2007 13:31

"A biggear bong"

"Sympatee for ze devile"

Love that.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: June 17, 2007 13:33

of course this is subjective. But when you have an EAR and you have seen the band more than 20 times live, seen hundreds of videos and listened the 2000 cd's you have in your collection, you know when the band is on top or not !

Be sure that this show was very good, thanks to MJ, RW, CW (nice intro on sympathy, a bit like japan 26 feb 90), and partly very good thanks to KR.
BUT it was nothing like last year. However last year I had an excellent seat but not in the crowd like yesterday.

Date: June 17, 2007 13:35

stoneswashed: my post wasn't about Keith's playing, or "what Keith Richards is all about".
my post was about one (1) aspect of his in-concert singing:
Keith improvising and/or forgetting lyrics is not a recent development; he's been doing it regularly for decades.
that's simply a fact, and if you've never noticed it until now, it says something about your powers of observation.
meanwhile all you seem interested in is spreading your fears. that's all you've posted about since you arrived last month,
and i don't know what you're trying to accomplish by repeating the same thing over and over ad nauseum.
but here's another fact: i'm tired of hearing it from you. you've stated your "diagnosis" way more than enough times;
now are you capable of posting anything positive about anything without the woeful "that's all in the past" addenda?
(don't answer that - it's a rhetorical question.)
(better yet, just bypass my posts altogether, okay? i'd regard it as a courtesy.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-17 20:41 by with sssoul.

Posted by: delortorock ()
Date: June 17, 2007 13:41

klypp Wrote:
> Here we go again. You people just can't leave it,
> can you?
>
> Why do I have to read all this shit about Keith
> couldn't play a single note? Or journalists never
> saw a Stones show? And that they don't know what
> the real Keith is like? And so on and so on...
>
> Thousands of people had a hell of a good time
> yesterday! If you can't live with that, go
> somewhere else. It's as simple as that!
>
> (Or even better: Go see a shrink. He might tell
> you that some people don't respond well when you
> take a leak on them...)

Thank you klypp! Exactly what I'am thinkig too....

It's good to be here, it's good to be anywhere

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-17 13:44 by delortorock.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 17, 2007 13:42

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-17 13:43 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: June 17, 2007 13:54

you can forget that you can post to me and i will not react sssoul.
i will not go away just because you don´t like what i got to say.
and i just won´t go away just because it seems here is a community that wants to life in dreams, fight there borders and doesn´t want to be disturbed in fooling thereselfs and others.
but anyway i give it up on you. that i just arrived last month is not true, i have been here for years, but can´t see blue eyed wannabe stonesfans fool people that come here from around the world to stay informed about the band while they can´t go see them thereselfs. it is ok to be subjektive, but to tell the complete oppossite of what is true is lying. that´s unfair.

no one is actually writing negative things about keith because of mistakes or forgetting lyrics. he is almost not playing and if than only along with the rest of them. someone spoke of sabotage regarding keith richards guitar playing in paris. but i know that genuine keith richards.

there is way more wrong most people who open there eyes can see that.
he needs to get hugged between songs by patti. is that a good sign?

Posted by: salar ()
Date: June 17, 2007 13:57

Hi folks,
just a few remarks..i will right the whole review, song by song, later..to tired now..just came back to Cologne, driving the whole night..anyway (STOP- TooTough here, salar "driving all night" - haha, he sat in the back, I WAS DRIVING!!!! And Mr. Guy Mocket (Thomas M.) was my co-pilot again) smiling smiley But the rest of salars words here are absolutely true) - ON with reading now)

The Paris show:
After being in Frankfurt and having wittnessed the horrible desaster sound and the problems keith had, which ended in the badest Stones gig I saw( and I saw more than 30 so far),I was nervous and afraid of making another bad experience...
but..Paris seems to be the Place where the Stones can`t do any wrong.

After seing last years gig in Paris as well, which most of you judged as one of the best gigs from last year, I never ever expected them to equal the high quality from last summer..but, man they did...I mean, they nailed it..from the very first verse to the last note.
First of all....the sound quality...to me it comes almost close to perfect...
You could her evry single note cristall clear and crisp..and.., another sensation to me: tonights gig was a guitar driven show !!!
as it should be.....Chuck, the backings, the horns...were hardly to hear..like it should be..Jaggers singing, fantastic and cristal clear and loud..and both guitars..and I mean really both guitars could be heard really loud and well...from the very first song till end...

Now Keith....yes, he is the one who has changed most compared to the other band members...the others look and behave like last year...but Keith has somehow changed since then, like he suddenly became "old" or something....who knows if it has to do with the surgery or medicine use or whatever...his face expressions, his walking, his whole gestic, mimic has somehow changed and not to positive IMO...BUT:
His playing tonight was on top of the game..he was leading the first 5 songs...all rockers by the way....we just had one ballade plus one jam session song(Knocking)
the rest was Rockn Roll at its best..keith was working hard, he was focused and concentrated..you could feel, he was trying to give his best..and he succeeded IMO...the only little low points, so to say, were his 2 songs when he forgot the lyrics....yes he missed a note here and there...like he does on evry show...but he was full on fire..he was playing the guitar with power and could be heard very well...for example,never saw and heard such a perfect version of Rough Justice..just as sharp and clear as the studio version....Keith & Ron were duelling each other as they did on many songs tonight.
Start me up was close to perfect from him...the Sympathy solos were fantastic..just brilliant...it was a 100 % improvement compared to the Frankfurt show....( more details later)
Ron....he is the sensation this summer so far, IMO, yes, he must be sober by the way...rarly saw him playing so concentrated...and: to my joy his guitar could be heard all over the stadium as clear and as loud as Keiths guitar playing..Yes, last night was the rebirth of The Stones as a guitar driven
Rock&Roll band...similar to 1982...believe it or not....I was there..I saw..I heard, I felt it.
Saw the first time "Cant You hear me knocking" being performed in a stadium...Woowww..as if they have never ever done anything else...this is how the song should be playd...Jaggers dark harp solo made me shiver...then Ronnis solo....this was like being back in the 70s with Taylor..he was close to perfect..the song ended to soon...as it was such a joy to hear & watch them performing it.
Great versions from "She was hot", ( wy did they hide this song for almost 24 years from us...play it regularly from now on please.
All Down the line...Waiting on a friend...don`t know where to start..most of the songs were brilliant tonight.....and even the cover song from James Brown, which is not easy to play due to all the changes in tempo was fantastic....and again: after Wednesdays Frankfurt desaster...sound & Keithwise, I mean, it was embarassing being in Frankfurt, I wished all the press people, all
"The Stones have finished", or "keith is not able to perform brilliant anymore" sayers should have seen last nights Paris gig...they all, really all would say: "We are sorry..we were wrong..the Stones are on top of their game again".
I mean,if there has ever been doubts...Yesterday the Stones ruled and proofed they can still put on a 2 hour stadium performance in front of 60.000,which is worth to be called: The greatest Rock`Roll show on earth....not more, not less !!more to come soon.
P.S....The Stade de France must have something special buildingwise....IMO it is the best place for open air shows, at least soundwise...have you ever been in a 80.00 capacity stadium in which you almost have no place where the sound can not be heard ceistall clear and very loud...close to Perfect IMO...so was it 98,2003 and 2006.
So if you have that kind of brilliant sound + the fact that the soundcrew made their homeworks well this time by finding the right balance.
Singing from Mick and the guitars dominant...by putting backings ,horns and Chuck in back you have a good chance to enjoy the show...and then you have a totally concentrated band..I could feel they wanted to deliver a fantastic Show..and they did...
Now i have no doubts that the 3 London gigs will be another highlight for me..
I mean it can not get wrong if they do perform like yesterday in Stade de France.

Rolling Stones 2007 in Paris....as good as in 2006...and in 2003 !!!
Any questions ledf..feel free to ask...

CuinDüsseldorf
salar

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-17 14:01 by salar.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: June 17, 2007 14:08

That must have been a very good show....glad for everyone who was there!

Posted by: Hansel ()
Date: June 17, 2007 14:09

Sounds healthy and positive after the negativety of previous posts!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 17, 2007 14:10

stoneswashed77 Wrote:
> you can forget that you can post to me and i will
> not react sssoul.
> i will not go away just because you don´t like
> what i got to say.
> and i just won´t go away just because it seems
> here is a community that wants to life in dreams,
> fight there borders and doesn´t want to be
> disturbed in fooling thereselfs and others.
> but anyway i give it up on you. that i just
> arrived last month is not true, i have been here
> for years, but can´t see blue eyed wannabe
> stonesfans fool people that come here from around
> the world to stay informed about the band while
> they can´t go see them thereselfs. it is ok to be
> subjektive, but to tell the complete oppossite of
> what is true is lying. that´s unfair.
>
> no one is actually writing negative things about
> keith because of mistakes or forgetting lyrics. he
> is almost not playing and if than only along with
> the rest of them. someone spoke of sabotage
> regarding keith richards guitar playing in paris.
> but i know that genuine keith richards.
>
> there is way more wrong most people who open there
> eyes can see that.
> he needs to get hugged between songs by patti. is
> that a good sign?

I think the point is that you have written 30 posts saying the same thing - the Keith is not how he used to be. Which is an honest opinion..
But out of respect for Keith, and for the people who actually thought the shows were terrific....- why repeat the same lines again and again ?

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: June 17, 2007 14:11

toomuchforme Wrote:
> see this
> [ggalmiche.free.fr]

What is in this file? The Download is so slow...

Date: June 17, 2007 14:11

Why of why did the Stones lower themselves enough to hire the abysmal Starf*cker, or what, was it Starsailor, to open for them? Perhaps to make them sound better? Either way, this was NOT the band to open for the Stones: while to the Stones play blues-based *rock n roll*, Starshitter focuses mainly more on the sort of testosterone-less, souless, colourless, passioneless tripe that has been exported from the UK over the past 5 or so years. (Think Keane, Coldplay et al.) Either way, my friend and I (we were FOS Ronnie's side) had a good time taking a few jabs at the opening act and generally biding our time until the REAL show could begin. Oh,and the nominally male lead singer of StarStar has a bigger chest than Lisa Fischer . . .

Anyway, we've got a show to do. The Rolling Stones. The World's Greatest Rock N Roll Band - or rather, a sort of tribute to the World's Greatest Rock N Roll Band. Now, I never thought I'd say this, but here goes: Ronnie Wood is now a BETTER guitarist than Keith Richards. There, roll that one around your tongue for a bit. Feels strange doesn't it? But it's true, I'm afraid. It was Ronnie Rembrandt Wood that made All Down the Line, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, and She Was Hot the highlights of the evening. It was Keith who barely played a lick during CYHMK and Waiting on a Friend. (Though that one could have more appropriately been called Waiting on a Guitar - the sound was unbearably thin. Or perhaps waiting on Chuck Leavell.) Keith did come alive for a few numbers: he suddenly awoke during IORR and did his job to great affect. Tumbling Dice (yep, I still love it!) featured some nice riffage from the all-too-human riff as well. Out of deference to my hero, I won't critique his set.

Anyway, again as in Nijmegen, I had a great time: the atmosphere in FOS was superb. I was standing next to some young 'Forty Licks fans,' some French guys about my age, and they had a great time during the 'interesting' part of the show. They were really digging She Was Hot and Knockin'! I don't understand why more of the casual fans don't act this way: why are so many incapable of enjoying a song they've never heard before?

Now a few random thoughts:

1) When did Wanna Hold You become I Wanna Hold You? Even Keith called it by that incorrect name! Wait, maybe that doesn't mean that much . . .

2) I finally got my wish and this is now the UNDERCOVER Tour - two songs from that great album as opposed to one from A Bigger Bust! Only 24 years late . . .

3) Keith walked over to Blondie on JJF (Blondie was playing ELECTRIC) and they did some of the "ancient form of weaving." Yes, Keith, and Blondie Chaplin. Oh. My. God.

4) The cover, I Go Crazy, should be called I Go Lazy. There are no guitars whatsoever. Pure Vegas. And Lisa, as Dean Goodman put it, "wailing like an American Idol contestant." Drop it, please!

5) Yep, I even found myself enjoying YGMR again. What's become of me? Can I enroll in StonesTod's remedial Stonesfan class? Any openings left?

6) Can I stop this now?

See you in Bucharest!

*and i'm just like that bird - singing just for you*

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1994
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home