Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 10 of 11
Re: Paris reports
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 17, 2007 21:49

LOGIE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> jack_daniels Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The vieofootage is not much but the sound is
> > great. Listen to (part of) a most beuatiful
> > version of Waiting on a Friend:
> >
> >

>
>
> Many thanks Jack Daniels! An absolutely superb
> version, and a beautiful sax solo.
>
> Dare I say it, but a lot better than the No
> Security versions.

Yes it does sound very good - but I can see what Singerbong meant by lack of guitars, no critisicm of the playing, but the mix

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 17, 2007 21:51

StillBannedFAH Wrote:

> Why do you even care what they say? Why does bad
> press bother you so much? It's just words, and
> you had a point that people had a good time there
> so why give a crap what anyone says. It's a waste
> of your time and energy.

Well put. For those who are put off by "bad" or "negative" reviews and comments (and even going so far as to put down those who post them) what do any of them matter so long as YOU enjoyed the show, the recording of it and so on? Isn't that really the important thing?

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: June 17, 2007 22:02

Paris Concert during Daylight?

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: June 17, 2007 22:39

started at 9.20
with the roof it did not affect the light show. Dark at 10.30

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: June 17, 2007 22:53

Dear With Sssoul, I have a feeling Keith liked his LP Jr on Sympathy so much than when Pierre offered him to switch to the white 355 Gibson for Satisfaction, Keith declined. I was told the same happened (with another guitar though) on the B-stage.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 17, 2007 22:59

really?! way cool - thanks Gwen!
smile: see, i knew i like that guitar!

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 17, 2007 23:43

The show was AWESOME! To keep it short, it's been a glorious performance by the whole band with a fantastic setlist and a great attendance. The highlights: fantastic version of Rough Justice; very good version of "Can't Hear You Me Knocking" with fuc£%ing great solos by Mick Jagger and Ronnie Wood. RONNIE WOOD HAS BEEN AMAZING THROUGH THE WHOLE CONCERT! Hes' back: focused, rocking hard, and playing fantastic solos, like the one in All Down The Line. She Was Hot was very good as well. Keith's songs were ok: Happy was very good, a little sloppy but it seemed that the guys were feeling like jamming a bit in that one, and it was so great to watch. KEITH WAS OF FIRE DURING THE WHOLE CONCERT!!!!! Of course the guy isn't so fit as maybe last year also, but he's far from being a person who "can't play anymore" or who's got neurologic problems. The guy has got edge, is tough, and it takes much more than a bunch of moaners in an internet forum to put him down. the solo in "simpathy For The Devil" is a clear evidence of this. He's been great! And they played one of the best versions of "Jumping Jack Flash" I've ever witnessed.
All in all, this concert sounded like a kick in the arse of all the people who once again gave them for finished. I hope the boys will keep this track.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: June 18, 2007 00:04

Thank you Paris, Boys and Lisa.
What a place, set list, crowd, etc.
Too tired to read what was said so far. Here's me 2 cent worthless something.
After my best run ever I got 1st row again. And what a day. First being roasted in the sun, then just as cold as Halifax, then warm again.
I must say that Starsailor really tried, but, but.

The only thing that would have topped this show was not knowing the setlist.
A few of us was stupid enough to investigate the menu next to Charlie.
If I got that list witout knowing I might have fainted halfway tru "Waiting on a friend".
"Let's spend" was a bit slow, Keith was Keith, Ronnie is a God this tour, CYHMK is better than Licks, She was Hot made my day (thank you), and "waiting", love it.
What else. Mick is like a 15 year old kid, well maybe 17. He is also playing a lot with Ronnie when it comes to joking. Ronnie is a real King this tour.
Mick forgot the lyricks, Keith made more than one mistake, but, OK, will not continue this.
It is still the best Rock 'n roll band on this planet. Let's enjoy them till it's over.
Will have a month break now, can't wait for the last 5-7 shows this leg I will attend.

Enjoy them, don't wait.

TE
Oslo

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: June 18, 2007 00:08

I don't think Keith looked good. During his set I cought myself thinking: This is the last tour for him, and I hope he is able to make it through this tour. On Happy he made all the mistakes possible, he looked confused and lost, and Ronnie helped him out the best he could. Ronnie was in total control the whole show, and kept Keith going on several song. I really love Keith, and I felt sad after Happy. I wanna hold you he also played a lot of mistakes - much more than the usual Keith jazz.... which is just the kind of rock'n roll he plays, and that we all love so much.
To Keiths defence, some of his playing is still pure magic, like the version of All down the line. Best version ever!
The concert was great, and the setlist the best I've heard in years. But to see Keith in that shape worries me a lot. I hope I'm proven wrong.....
I hope the break will do him good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-18 00:14 by Niklas.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 18, 2007 00:23

ChrisM Wrote:
> what do any of them matter so long as YOU enjoyed the show
You are so right Chris. As long as I had a good time, I don't give a flying f%&#k about what anybody else says.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 18, 2007 00:30

Just two highlight quotes from Mercury Sound above:

"while Mick finally stopped being this well-trained athlete and became Jagger for a second"

"And then, “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”. I was still focusing on Keith. The perfect guitar sound, the sounds that defines rock’n’roll. And Keith talking to himself while playing. I have no idea what he says in these moments, but he’s a hundred percent focused on what he does."

(Sorry for expressing myself without seeing one single concert "live")

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 18, 2007 00:49

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> vinckske Wrote:
> -----
> > Just read the BV Paris report.
> > Couldn't agree more.
> > The Paris show was fantastic.
> > Definitely the best 2007 show so far.
> > After the rather negative vibes I read here and
> > there on this forum , it is great to see that
> they
> > still rock as the best.
> > Thank you boys...
> > Cheers,
> > Jimmy
>
> True. But we probably had to be there to really
> know for sure. I bet it was good though. Christ,
> every time Keith hits a wrong note these days, we
> get a whole thread on him being brain damaged or
> worse. There ought to be a law against that.

That's so true, Kent!

Date: June 18, 2007 03:21

Do you people analyzing all the mistakes and having the "Keith was looking really bad" attitude ever enjoy the show - I mean with your heart and soul -

singing, jumping, dancing and having a lot of fun??

Let it loose - this was a really great show. The band was on fire and so was the audience.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: June 18, 2007 04:18

Dean Goodman needs to start going to less shows, he is way too jaded and sooooo unappreciative - stay in LA for a while Dean and get that excitement going again!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 18, 2007 10:56

a very enjoyable weekend - with the highlight being, a better-than-expected show at The Stade De France.
Great sound- great crowd - (Bruce Willis & daughters, were sitting 4/5 rows
infront of me, and they were having a great time, like everyone else).
Ronnie Wood was in tremendous form... his guitar work was great throughout...tremendous on CYHMK.
Charlie was his usual steady as a rock self...
Mick worked incredibly hard, keeping the momentum going for 2 hours..a true showman... but i didn't think hos voice was as strong as at the shows i witnessed last year.
Keith has clearly deteriorated, over the last 12 months... he played competently at times, and i cheered and jumped with joy , when he did...but at other times he struggled and looked tired.
A hugley enjoyable concert experience, overall - not without it's faults...
but on this occasion, the 'boys' pulled it off.

...good to see Pauly, Beast, Simon N and countless other IORR'eans before/during the show.... you all make these trips that little bit more special.

Posted by: petethestone ()
Date: June 18, 2007 11:45

Guys, not been to as many shows as lots on here, my opinion on Keef is that he played OK in Paris, yes made a few mistakes and his solo was the weak point in the set, which we all know and accept, but we love him! I think that the genuine concerns from seeing him in the flesh were about the way in which looked! Not Keiths normal looking like s*"t, he just looked extra s*%t to me, which is worrying, but i thought his playing was around the level that we are used to these days.
We are all passionate about this and thats why there are so many views and opinions, its only because everyone cares, i think that is a good thing.
Bring on Copenhagen (my next gig)

Date: June 18, 2007 12:00

"sans liberté de blâmer il n'est point d'éloge flatteur" (Beaumarchais).

try to translate this and you will understand that criticism is a manner to improve others and yourself.

Basically some folks here are trying to persuade us that we do not care about the guitars in a rock'roll band ??? pffffff...
I give a shit to the guitars.
This is not a variety band, the guitars remain very important to my ears.

Rolling stone magazine 40th anniversary issue mentions that without "satisfaction" (fuzzbox) there would not be any metal band today... you understand why the guitars are essentials ?

Lack of guitars cannot bring a perfect entertainment. That's all.

I will tell you tomorrow if I heard @#$%& guitars in Lyon tonight.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: June 18, 2007 12:14

I had my faith restored at the Paris gig.I must say I was quite indifferent to the prospect of this show.But they pulled it off.Brilliant version of waiting on a friend and she was hot.Ronnie was amazing.Can you hear me knocking just gets better.Mick and Charlie as consistent as ever.

However Keef aint looking too good or playing that good either.Something is up with him.He looks bloated in his face,is overweight and looking really tired.Pretty sad really.When he came on during the opening riff of start me up he looked awfull.Is he ill or on medication?Whats happening?I have seen around 100 shows and never seen him in such a state.Lets hope he pulls through.

Thankfully the other 3 and the rest of the band covered for him.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 18, 2007 12:28

little queenie Wrote:
> paulywaul Wrote:
> -----
> > Personal comment: first time I have done the
> > golden circle thing; LURVED IT ...... fabulous.
>
> how close did you get? did you have to push past
> security and run with the masses?

Well we only went into it about 30 minutes before the Stones came on, initially we were about 5 rows back on Keith's side, I left the others there and went and stood a little further back where I had acres of space to leap around in and also a far far better overall view. It was not remotely crowded. I personally thought it was great. It was certainly something I would do again.

Date: June 18, 2007 12:32

with sssoul Wrote:
> >> The LP Junior was used on Sympathy &
> Satisfaction. <<
>
> thank you 999! i seem to have developed a
> distinct fondness for that guitar -
> i'm always happy to see it, even just in photos
>
> >> first time I have done the golden circle thing;
> LURVED IT ...... fabulous. <<
>
> yayy yayy yayy - way cool! i'm glad it grooved
> you and hope it grooved the glamourous Beast as
> well

Rest assured ... it most certainly did.

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: June 18, 2007 12:38

Just back from Paris. A truly memorable gig. A brilliant high energy show in a wonderful stadium.Sound brilliant.
Gold circle virtually half empty lots of room and great views of stage and plenty beer to be had from bar.Nice to meet bv also.
Let's hope the this was not their last performance in SDF.

Posted by: Papalaz1 ()
Date: June 18, 2007 12:38

This was my third concert of the ABB tour (Twick II and Oakland being the others) and, in my humble opinion, this was better than Twick and infinitely better than Oakland. The FOS section was excellent - loads of room to move around and easy to get up up close.

Wonderful concert (and who cares if Keith forgot a few words or played a few bum notes).

Date: June 18, 2007 13:03

hickorywind Wrote:
> Just back from Paris. A truly memorable gig. A
> brilliant high energy show in a wonderful
> stadium.Sound brilliant.
> Gold circle virtually half empty lots of room and
> great views of stage and plenty beer to be had
> from bar.Nice to meet bv also.
> Let's hope the this was not their last performance
> in SDF.

<<< Gold circle virtually half empty lots of room and great views of stage >>>

So true

Date: June 18, 2007 13:04

Papalaz1 Wrote:
> This was my third concert of the ABB tour (Twick
> II and Oakland being the others) and, in my humble
> opinion, this was better than Twick and infinitely
> better than Oakland. The FOS section was
> excellent - loads of room to move around and easy
> to get up up close.
>
> Wonderful concert (and who cares if Keith forgot a
> few words or played a few bum notes).

<<< The FOS section was excellent - loads of room to move around and easy to get up up close >>>

Again, so true

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: June 18, 2007 13:07

Late as usual here is my Paris reviuw. To make up for the two days i tried to make it detailed enough :-)

After Nijmegen this was my second show of the tour. I got FOS tickets Ronnies side and what an invention this is. I walked in the stadium around 19:30 hour just when Starsailor started and i had a beautifull view of the stage because you are always close to stage in the FOS area. No more waiting in line all day :-)

In the upper deck there were bick parts "taped of" with black plastick and the tongue loco on it. I'd say the stadium was around 90% sold out. It took a long time for all the people to get to there seats and i feared it would be a very lame crowd because to me all those empty seats didn't look that inspiring BUT fortunately i was wrong!!! About fifteen minutes before the show started people started to do the wave and after about two rounds the whole crowd joint in. This is always such a great biuld up to the show because everybody is yelling when the wave comes by and it unites the crowd and everybody is getting excited. At 09:15it was show time and the intro started.

1. Start Me Up - The came out rocking. They were all really enthousiastic and played great. Keith played great, Ronnie had a good solo and he was again like in Nijmegen, looking really sharp. It is no longer a surprise of course but i have to mention Jaggers perfomance on this song and the whole show. This man is unbalievable, what a energy! Like in Nijmegen i was just in awe looking at him. He really knows how to work a crowd. If the crowd is really into it already or needs the extra push he is always making people forget about everything and get them all fired up. Clearly the greatest front man ever IMHO

2. Lets Spend The Night Together - A surprise for me. At first i wasn't that excited about it because i heard it on every B2B show and i thought it was ok then but nothing special. This time however i really liked it! Great version and i was singing a long with loike it was my favorite version the Ed Sulliven show in '66 (or '65:-))

3. Rough Justice - Decent. Great Rocker and at the right place in the set list. Keith did another solo on it and played a great one. I was paying a lot of attention to Keith tonight because of his dissapointing performance in Nijmegen. He played good however and i thought he was really back playing i hoped he would.

4. All Down The Line - Another great version! I really like hearing that song this tour. I hope i'll hear it in Barcelonq again. Keith rocked on this one and Ronnie played a great solo but was a bit low in the mix.

5. She Was Hot - Like ADTL great to hear and like Nijmegen it was a bit shaky. Jagger doesn't really know the words and he is reading it from the monitor all through the song. He spend a lot of time looking at Bernard and Lisa while singing and looking like "He you guys, i know it see, i got it right". Really funny to see!

6. Waiting On A Friend - Second surprise of the night. Beatifull song and beatifull version. Keith hardly played on this song. Great solo by Tim Ries. It got a decent applaus at best though...

7. Can't You Hear Me Knockin' - Keith played a improvised intro and played it a bit long. He looked like he didn't really know what he should play. Jagger was looking at him when he would go to the next part and play the signature lick so that Jagger could start his lyrics. At the next part of the song when the samba loop is played Keith was late with his little lick so Ronnie played it. As they showed both of them on the big screen you could cleqrly see Keith being angry at Ronnie and saying "That's my part!". Ronnie just looked like he was just helping him out. After the usual great solo of Bobby Keys and Jagger it was time for Ronnie. From the first note on you could hear this was going to be beautifull. He had a great sound and Keith looked at him him and smiled and liked it. It was the best solo i have heard him play on this one. It was so controlled and just beautifull. After the song Jagger thanked Ronnie and also gave him a look that he really liked it.

8. I'll Go Crazy - One of my favorite James Brown songs. Jagger is always good on these type of songs and Lisa is just phenominal. The crowd loved Lisa's singing!

9. Tumbling Dice - This a prefect spot for TD right after I'll Go Crazy. Jagger kept the crowd excited with the usual "are you ready?" and "ooohh yeeaaah". Keith started the song perfectly after the last "oohh yeeaah" and i thought the place would go wild becquse of the momentum. But.... Something happened i never saw before, Charlie completely missed the beginning of the song. Keith kept playing, the bqck up singers started and even the lights did there usual thing before finnaly Charlie began. It killed the momentum, for me, but of course Jagger stept up and it was all forgotten.

10. Happy - After the sad perfomance i saw in Nijmegen i had good hopes this time because Keith played great on the first part of the show. Unfortunately he got lost again. He started the first verse of Happy with the firts two lines of the second verse then back to the first verse again or something like that. After a minute or so he had no idea where the song was going and during Happy or WHY he even said something like "i'm making it up as i go along".

11. Wanna Hold You - Terrible version again; he had no idea what to do; He played some sort of solo but i didn,t make any sence. Ronnie looked really annoyed and went over to Chuck as if to ask if he knew what Keith was doing. It was really sad to see Keith playing and seeying him struggle. After his set he thanked the crowd and said something in the context of that he knew he is struggling and can't remember the song and that he just gave it his best. On oe hand it sort of helped to know that he knows he is slipping away but on the other hand it's so sad to see him like that.

12. It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (to b-stage) - Like in Nijmegen, Keith was again on fire on this one and playing great licks. Good version and the crowd loved it.

13. It's All Over Now (b-stage) - They nailed this one again and it is so funny to see them struggle on songs like she was hot or even a bit on ADTL but always nailing this one like they played it on every tour. Always a good crowd pleaser!

14. You Got Me Rocking (b-stage) - It replaced Satisfaction on the b-stage. Great version and it rocked the stadium

15. Honky Tonk Women (back to main stage) - Always a crowd pleaser.

16. Sympathy For The Devil - The stage is really beautifull on this one. Keith played a different guitar on this one, probably because of the failure on wednsday. he played a different kind of Gibson. I don't know which type so we have to wait for pictures of this one. It helped however because his sound was much better and he played great solo's. Not he usual notes like on he did on the last couple of tours. He went over to Blondie and was "saying" the notes as he played. This is usualy a sing that a guitar player is really into the song and keith sure was into sympathie this time!

17. Satisfaction - The place went crazy!

18. Brown Sugar - Like with TD they had all the momentum. I said to my brother in law that on the Licks tour he f#cked this one up royally in Amsterdam and Vredenburg. And like then he did it again this time. He played the intro four times instead of three. The band recoveredquickly and were back on track. It killed the momentum for me but i don'y think the most part of the stadium noticed.

Encore :
19. Jumpin' Jack Flash - It rocked as always. Keith had a great sound. He however missed the signature lick after the first verse but the recoverd quickly. Ronnie looked annoyed again and just walked away from Keith.

All in all a much better show then Nijmegen. Jagger was awesome as always, Ronnie was really sharp again and playing really great, Keith was good but just terrible on his own set again and Charlie was apart from the intro on TD great as always but he, a man steady as Charlie can skip a beat anytime he wants.

After Nijmegen i had my serious doubts but after Paris i have good hopes for Barcelona again!!!!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: KeithDaMan ()
Date: June 18, 2007 13:19

Back to Antwerp from Paris and behind my computer and I must say this was a great show. The sound on Start me up needed adjustment but afterwards it was perfect, crystal clear for me. Guitars perfectly mixed and upfront (remember 89-90? anyone). I was fifth row FOS and watched Keith closely. His performance was excellent on most of the songs but he lost the words of Happy completely. He even made up some completely new verses. His solo on Sympathy was ok but I've seen better. Overall Keith worked very hard *and* delivered. Anyone who tells different wasn't listening. CYHMK was done excellent by Ron and the minimalistic rythm of Keith was perfect. Mick was in topform but I missed his trademark falsetto also, as a reviewer stated on this iorr site.

Of all the stones shows I saw (between 50-100) this one is on my top-10.

Just my 2 cents.

On a side note KR must get rid of his moustache, it makes him look worried and old.

Best,

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: June 18, 2007 13:30

My report:
The setlist was a gem, playing often times brilliant, Keith is rusting a bit, but still shined brightly on several songs (You Got me Rockin, end of Let’s Spend Night Together, CYHMK (after intro), Sympathy, Satisfaction to name a few). Crowd was not near capacity, especially front of stage more expensive tickets – wide open spaces when Mick would come over to the side. Highlights for me (no particular order):
1. All Down the Line – great guitar work

2. Waiting on a Friend – despite meandering sax solo, beautifully understated version, great harmonies

3. Mick (on harp) and Keith jamming together at back of stage during CYHMK, Ronnie’s great solo – beautiful sound from his strat.

4. Taking friends to their first show and seeing them enjoy it so much

5. having Bruce Willis sitting 5 rows in front of us (added to the glamour of the event)

6. I’ll Go Crazy – Lisa’s solo into sax was pure bliss, really lit up the stadium

7. It’s Only Rock and Roll to the B-stage, followed by Used to Love Her and a very strong You Got Me Rockin’ had crowd going wild.

8. Being in Paris – great crowd and historic venue. Very clear (and loud) sound.

Lows:
1. Keith blowing intros to CYHMK, Tumblin Dice and weak solo on HT Woman

2. Mick speaking too much in French (je ne comprends pas!)

3. 19 song setlist (down 1 from last summer)

4. big empty patches in front of stage Some areas in 3rd tier were tarped over or not sold.

5. Feeling that this could be the last time I see this legendary band.

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: June 18, 2007 13:32

Wild Slivovitz Wrote:
> The show was AWESOME! To keep it short, it's been
> a glorious performance by the whole band with a
> fantastic setlist and a great attendance. The
> highlights: fantastic version of Rough Justice;
> very good version of "Can't Hear You Me Knocking"
> with fuc£%ing great solos by Mick Jagger and
> Ronnie Wood. RONNIE WOOD HAS BEEN AMAZING THROUGH
> THE WHOLE CONCERT! Hes' back: focused, rocking
> hard, and playing fantastic solos, like the one in
> All Down The Line. She Was Hot was very good as
> well. Keith's songs were ok: Happy was very good,
> a little sloppy but it seemed that the guys were
> feeling like jamming a bit in that one, and it was
> so great to watch. KEITH WAS OF FIRE DURING THE
> WHOLE CONCERT!!!!! Of course the guy isn't so fit
> as maybe last year also, but he's far from being a
> person who "can't play anymore" or who's got
> neurologic problems. The guy has got edge, is
> tough, and it takes much more than a bunch of
> moaners in an internet forum to put him down. the
> solo in "simpathy For The Devil" is a clear
> evidence of this. He's been great! And they played
> one of the best versions of "Jumping Jack Flash"
> I've ever witnessed.
> All in all, this concert sounded like a kick in
> the arse of all the people who once again gave
> them for finished. I hope the boys will keep this
> track.

I knew you were my man, mate, thank you for posting!smiling smiley

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 18, 2007 13:34

UGot2Rollme Wrote:
> 5. having Bruce Willis sitting 5 rows in front of
> us (added to the glamour of the event)

we must have been virtually rubbing shoulders...i was in exactly the same location as you.

Date: June 18, 2007 13:43

it's on dime now but the sound is muddy and distant.

wait for another better version

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 10 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2009
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home