Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What do "Paint It Black" and "Angie" have in common? I say...
Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: June 4, 2007 20:35

...that the so called general public loves both of them much more than hardcore fans do. As for "Angie", the difference is really huge. Maybe a catalogue of the 25 or 40 most favourite songs of an "average" Stones fan don't even include "Angie". But any person i have met in my life is enthousiastic with this song, except people who know nothing about the Stones and their music. I'm not exaggerating...

I believe that "Paint It Black" is included on the top-10 of this hardcore Stones fan's catalogue, but not at #1 or #2. What about the general public? They love them. More than "Satisfaction", i think.

The conclusion is coming from my experience, of course. What about yours? Any thoughts? Any explanation- if your conclusion is the same? What makes these two songs so attractive "out there"?

Re: What do "Paint It Black" and "Angie" have in common? I say...
Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: June 4, 2007 22:04

minor keys?

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: June 4, 2007 22:09

....the letters "a," "i," and "n"

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 4, 2007 22:40

I am not Polish but visit the country every year or 2 and that sums up feelings about the 2 songs very nicely - the general public there go mad for Angie in particular. I was at Chorzow in '98 and though not on the field, I've since met several fans who were and there was a mass clamour for them to play Angie, which sadly they didn't.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 4, 2007 22:45

ah, but they played Paint It Black! which was what Poland chose in that web vote thing

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 4, 2007 23:11

I know what your talking about stickydion. Both of these songs have a transcendant quaility that a lot of stones songs do, but theyre not quite Rock N Roll or blues like other stones songs although live they can be turned more into that. I think Brussels version of angie is bluesey sounding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-05 02:49 by ryanpow.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 4, 2007 23:15

i don't really get what StickyDion is saying about Paint It Black -
i don't perceive it as at all "underrated" by "hardcore" fans.
but Angie ... the thing about Angie was that when it came out all of a sudden
all these drips who had always despised the Stones were going gooey over it -
ack, what a misunderstanding! i still have scars on my psyche from that ...
so if (if!) heavy-duty fans don't love it as much as "the outside world", maybe it's partly
*because* it's so well-loved by "the outside world"? if you see what i mean.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-04 23:32 by with sssoul.

Date: June 4, 2007 23:23

I think its interesting that my brother who's really into metal and punk rock said that Angie was his favorite stones song. It is a really cool song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-05 08:46 by ryanpow.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: June 4, 2007 23:29

I think you're right. PIB is liked by people who never ever listen to Stones.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: June 5, 2007 02:26

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i don't really get what StickyDion is saying about
> Paint It Black -
> i don't perceive it as at all "underrated" by
> "hardcore" fans.
> but Angie ... the thing about Angie was that when
> it came out all of a sudden
> all these drips who had always despised the Stones
> were going gooey over it -
> ack, what a misunderstanding! i still have scars
> on my psyche from that ...
> so if (if!) heavy-duty fans don't love it as much
> as "the outside world", maybe it's partly
> *because* it's so well-loved by "the outside
> world"? if you see what i mean.

I think that's a good point about "Angie". In a way, I guess I'm sorta like that. I do think its' a wonderful song, but the fact that lots of people who don't know or care anything about the Stones will say "OH I LOVE THAT SONG!!!" whenever I play it or whenever it comes on the radio or something sorta makes me appreciate it a little less I suppose. Probably shouldn't, but it does.

As far as "Paint It Black" goes, its' just a great rock/pop song with that great Middle Eastern-like riff and then the great rocking change up with the "I see people turn their heads and quickly look away....." lyrics. I suppose it does have a bit of a transcendant value to it because its' not a straight up blues-based rocker like "Jumping Jack Flash" or "Honky Tonk Women" or "Brown Sugar". Then again, neither is "Sympathy For The Devil".

But what sets "Paint It Black" apart is the great, dark riff. That's what makes it a great pop song. And that (besides minor keys) is what it has in common with "Angie" which is a great pop song as well, but for different reasons.

Date: June 5, 2007 02:36

Very good points, folks! Thanks...

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: June 5, 2007 06:24

..... angies emotional ... the sociopaths will not be fond of it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 5, 2007 07:56

Yeah Wal...good to know...Save on shrink fees..

ROCKMAN

Date: June 5, 2007 08:40

Intersting. I like the fact that people who don't normally like the stones like these songs. It just shows How f*cking cool the stones are. They have a lot of street cred. And I' be willing bet these so called non-fans would like more than just these songs if they gave it a try.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: June 5, 2007 11:56

Sorry stickydion i can't get the point..you can say the same thing about Satisfaction or Start ME Up..Hard core fans can't stand them, people who really don't know the Stones know them and love them.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: June 5, 2007 12:44

Well, Angie is an atypical Stones song. It's a ballad, a very soft one. We came to like the Stones because of their bluesy rock sound, their attitude and great performances. Angie doesn't exactly fit that profile.

Paint It Black? I think Tour of Duty is to 'blame' for it's extreme popularity, espcially with the people who are 25-35 right now.

Date: June 5, 2007 14:05

farawayeyes2 wrote:

"Sorry stickydion i can't get the point..you can say the same thing about Satisfaction or Start ME Up..Hard core fans can't stand them, people who really don't know the Stones know them and love them."

My personal experience says that Satisfaction and Start Me Up aren't in the same exactly category. Maybe somewhere near it, but not into it... IMO hardcore fans love Satisfaction and SMU, but some of them are a bit tired (or very tired) of hearing the two songs live, again and again. That's a different case, i'm not talking about concerts.

Also, my personal experience says that, in general terms, "general public" loves PIB and "Angie" clearly more than SMU and maybe a bit more than Satisfaction. Why? Probably for the reasons mentioned by Tumblin_Dice_07 and with sssoul.

Anyway, as i said my conclusions are coming from my personal experience, not from a "poll". I don't know whether they're representative, that's why asked all of you.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 5, 2007 15:14

I'd hafta agree with Mr. Edward, though I knew of PIB before, it was Tour of Duty that made it even more popular to me. I am a hard core fan though IMO, and it is still my 2nd favorite Stones song all time. That opening riff into the pounding drums, the dark lyrics, the rhythm thru out...it is AWESOME!

Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: June 6, 2007 09:22

caught my 16 year old nephew, hes got pib on his ipod

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1700
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home