Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Vancouver, Canada 1972
Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: January 15, 2009 18:50

damn, your majesty, u must have responded, while I edited my message... winking smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 15, 2009 19:35

therollingmanu
damn, your majesty, u must have responded, while I edited my message... winking smiley

I think there's a pic of Keith playing that guitar complete with sticker at Dynamic Sound Stduios, Jamaica 1972.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 15, 2009 19:37

His Majesty
The capo is on the 2nd fret, for JJF etc it's usually on at the 4th fret.
Ah,right you are. I assumed that he used this guitar for JJF because he did so from 60-71 and my mind filled in the rest. Or course, we are assumiing the guitar is tuned to open G. Perhaps it's in standard or dare I say something else. I'll have to listen to the show to see what songs are in A in work from there.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 15, 2009 20:30

Mathijs
Erik_Snow
Nearly forgot...I do have a photo of the guitars, from backstage in Vancouver 1972...

by Ken Regan, Vancouver 06-03-72

This is fabulous! This is something I have been looking for the last 20 years or so!

The firs couple of shows of the '72 tour are a bit mysterious, as they did have problems with shipping gear. I have always understood that for the Vancouver and Seattle gigs they were playing with some of the backup gear, and they were experimenting with some gear they acquired after the robbery at Nellcote in July '71.

From left to right: Ampeg Armstrong bass, used throughout the '72 tour, but in Seattle Bill played his Competition Mustang Bass (also on this picture).

Then a 3 pickup Custom with Bigsby: I have never ever seen this guitar in the Stones camp! Keith's Customs were stolen in '71, and this probably is the replacement.

'54 Tele: Keith used this one throughout '72 to '76, then the tongue was removed. I am not sure this is the same guitar as Malcolm, but it does look like it.

The famous Gibson ES 345 that was used by Taylor after he left the Stones. Uncertain if this is the same 345 used on Exile and before on tour.

Fender Musicmaster: Absolutely cheapest of the cheap, and for sure a replacement guitar. Never seen again -and never seen before.

Bill's Mustang bass, never to be seen after the Seattle '72 gigs.

Micawber: acquired in March '71, here still without the PAF neck pickup fitted. The pickup was fitted somewhere along the '72 tour. Also stil with original three-saddle bridge.

A sunburst Tele. I have one picture from Seattle '72 of this guitar. Is this the '67 Sunburst he used ever since '81? It does not look like it. Is this a loan or rent?

'57 Strat. Used throughout the '72 tour, seen briefly on the '79 NB tour, and again in '88 for press shots.

Mathijs

It is strange to see Keith with that red Fender student model^^.
but...it's a "Bronco" not a "Music Master".
that's because the the pickup is located at the bridge, not the neck.
and the pickguard is curved inwards.

Bronco ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Music Master, Duo Sonic

I agree we see all 3 famous Teles (Malcolm, Micawber, Sonny) before modification to Humbuckers and modern bridges.
great pic, Erik.

Posted by: batonrouge75 ()
Date: January 15, 2009 21:57

Erik_Snow
Tornandfrayed
Erik_Snow

Vancouver June 3rd 1972, by Gregory Melle
/

I´m not really a guitar geek but I´ve never seen any other pics of Keith playing a Fender Mustang (Or is this a Jaguar?).

Vancouver´72 is such a strange show...

BTW thanks for the pics Erik.

Hi Torn&Frayed, yes I noticed that as well, quite surprising
All the other Vancouver 72 photos of Keith playing that guitar is either B&W, or Keith was standing in the shadows - which made me think it was some sort of "extra sized Telecaster"....it's not before now that I see it's a red Mustang
Maybe Mathijs or open-g will chime in, while waiting for With Sssoul...

Maybe the answer can be found in the articles contained in this link:

[stoneslib.homestead.com]

Date: January 16, 2009 00:40

Wonder if that Custom capoed in 2nd fret was used on some of the songs that are unique to the Vancouver gig. "Ventilator" maybe.But it would mean that for some reason Keith wanted to pretend he was playing it in F which makes no sense at all. I would say it was for "Rocks Off".

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 16, 2009 00:48

open-g
I agree we see all 3 famous Teles (Malcolm, Micawber, Sonny) before modification to Humbuckers and modern bridges.

Thanks, open-g - great eye

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: January 16, 2009 01:05

That's a really good question about the Custom capoed at 2nd fret and what song it's used for. 'Ventilator' is in G and, just listening to the Vancouver recording right now, they don't transpose it or anything, definitely key of G. Noticing, too, that, after tuning quickly, it sounds to me as though Keith goes into the intro to 'Torn and Frayed' without changing guitars....which seems odd since I was sure he was playing Ventilator in open G and Frayed in standard tuning. Maybe there's a cut in the tape (or maybe the old version of the show I have mixes the set list order up).

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: January 16, 2009 01:10

andrewm
That's a really good question about the Custom capoed at 2nd fret and what song it's used for. 'Ventilator' is in G and, just listening to the Vancouver recording right now, they don't transpose it or anything, definitely key of G. Noticing, too, that, after tuning quickly, it sounds to me as though Keith goes into the intro to 'Torn and Frayed' without changing guitars....which seems odd since I was sure he was playing Ventilator in open G and Frayed in standard tuning. Maybe there's a cut in the tape (or maybe the old version of the show I have mixes the set list order up).

doesn't taylor play the main riff of ventilator blues in open g and keith the fills in standard tuning?!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 16, 2009 01:13

“The show lasts an hour and 40 minutes, Keith blows two guitars, and...

are you referring to this, Batonrouge?

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: January 16, 2009 01:16

Dunno about the album version but I'm pretty certain it's Taylor playing the fills here-the vibrato, the melodic lines. Sounds like he doesn't really come in until the first chorus either.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 16, 2009 01:19

do we really know the circumstances of the guitar line-up? I mean, they might not be set up for performance. The capo could be on the 2nd fret just because someone was mucking around on it.

that said, "Stop Breaking Down" is open G, capo 2nd fret, I believe... maybe rehearsed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-16 01:19 by cc.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: January 16, 2009 01:41

Mick Taylor uses the red Fender Bronco for the "Only Rock 'n' Roll" video

Date: January 16, 2009 01:54

If the guitar (Custom capoed 2nd fret) was indeed used here it has to be either Rocks Off or maybe even "Gimme Shelter". First gig of the tour; and all kind of things were tried out, went wrong. Keith completely screws up "Rocks Off" anyway; on "Loving Cup" I think he plugging a jack into a guitar right while Jagger is singing with the piano, LOL. Of the dropped songs "Ventilator" sounds good, "Loving Cup" too. "Torn & Frayed" does not come off well.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 16, 2009 02:00

Hey - how come I didn't think about that, Vudicious - I knew I'd seen that guitar somewhere before....!
BTW; here is the best source for Vancouver 1972 - a slight upgrade: [www.dimeadozen.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-16 02:06 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: January 16, 2009 03:43

<<"Torn & Frayed" does not come off well>>

I think it's a quite nice first attempt...despite the mistakes and everything. Great back-up vocal by Keith and a couple of nice leads by Taylor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-16 03:44 by Sohoe.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 16, 2009 13:38

Great find, it's a Bronco, not a Musicmaster. Funny to find out about these guitars -they are such cheap student models I never was too interested in them! And great find that Taylor used it for the IORR video!

Concerning the LP Customs: the story always was that the painted Custom dissapeared before the theft at Nellcote. The story always was this Custom and Taylor's bigsby Burst got stolen at the end of the '71 tour, and this has always assumed to be the reason why they both don't show up on pictures at Nellcote. Now there are stories Alan Rogan had the painted Custom, and that Keith asked it back. We don't know if it's true.

So, there's two Customs in '71, then the Bigsby Custom, two P90 Customs, the Ron Wood Custom at the '78 tour and the Keith Custom in '80. Concerning the latter two, as far as I can tell both are not vintage '50's Custom, but mid-70's Customs. This is mainly judged on the shine on the gold parts, and the different material of the block markers. But, I stand corrected if they do turn out vintage.

Concerning the sunburst Tele: as far as I can tell from the two pics we have, this is not Sonny. Sonny is a '67 Tele with CBS bold Fender logo, while this sunburst Tele seems to have the late '50's spaghetti logo. Also, this Tele has an alder pattern behind the bridge, missing on Sonny.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-16 13:38 by Mathijs.

Date: January 16, 2009 15:49

Ronnies custom is definitely a later 70's Norlin era custom, the headstock angle etc is a dead give away.

The group photos by Ken Regan from 1977 where Keith is holding a custom appears to show a 50's headstock angle with grovers thus it's most likely an actual 58-61 custom.

Always possible he removed the bigsby!? Or that it's simply yet another custom! cool smiley

Date: January 17, 2009 11:52

His Majesty

The group photos by Ken Regan from 1977 where Keith is holding a custom appears to show a 50's headstock angle with grovers thus it's most likely an actual 58-61 custom.

Always possible he removed the bigsby!? Or that it's simply yet another custom! cool smiley

I only have two pics of the shoot, and on both the guitar is hard to see. On the shots the block markers look very plastic and different to 50's ones.

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me that in the warehouse he has a dozen Customs, a dozen Standards, two dozen Juniors, a stash of dozens of Strats and Tele's...I mean, he's been a millionaire since '65 and a known connoisseur of vintage guitars.

Mathijs

Date: January 17, 2009 14:44

Mathijs
His Majesty

I only have two pics of the shoot, and on both the guitar is hard to see. On the shots the block markers look very plastic and different to 50's ones.

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me that in the warehouse he has a dozen Customs, a dozen Standards, two dozen Juniors, a stash of dozens of Strats and Tele's...I mean, he's been a millionaire since '65 and a known connoisseur of vintage guitars.

Mathijs

The above photo shows the headstock enough to see that it has the 1954 - 61 headstock angle and it seems to show that the last 3 inlays are the same size.

He clearly has liked customs a lot, so yeah it would be no surprise to learn that he has more than a few.

Posted by: RollingStonesRob ()
Date: January 23, 2009 06:11

Thanks for the link to this thread.

htttp://www.last.fm/user/rocknrollcola

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: January 23, 2009 07:35

<Vancouver´72 is such a strange show...>

Yeah, it is. I just remembered the performance of BBJ is unique in that Taylor's playing the lead. A good, odd show to have.

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: January 24, 2009 20:09

I was thinking the same thing. Did MT ever play lead on BBJ after that? I thought that was unusual too. They were in reverse role for that completely

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 24, 2009 20:52

vudicus
Mick Taylor uses the red Fender Bronco for the "Only Rock 'n' Roll" video

Yeah, but they're miming anyway so I guess it dont matter what it sounds like LOL.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: January 25, 2009 09:20

bigfrankie
I was thinking the same thing. Did MT ever play lead on BBJ after that? I thought that was unusual too. They were in reverse role for that completely

Not on the available recordings, but he did play lead on Don't Lie to Me later in the tour and his part during the verses of BBJ later in the tour sometimes included lead lines or fills.

Posted by: z ()
Date: January 25, 2009 09:44

Mathijs
Erik_Snow
Nearly forgot...I do have a photo of the guitars, from backstage in Vancouver 1972...

by Ken Regan, Vancouver 06-03-72

This is fabulous! This is something I have been looking for the last 20 years or so!

The firs couple of shows of the '72 tour are a bit mysterious, as they did have problems with shipping gear. I have always understood that for the Vancouver and Seattle gigs they were playing with some of the backup gear, and they were experimenting with some gear they acquired after the robbery at Nellcote in July '71.

From left to right: Ampeg Armstrong bass, used throughout the '72 tour, but in Seattle Bill played his Competition Mustang Bass (also on this picture).

Then a 3 pickup Custom with Bigsby: I have never ever seen this guitar in the Stones camp! Keith's Customs were stolen in '71, and this probably is the replacement.

'54 Tele: Keith used this one throughout '72 to '76, then the tongue was removed. I am not sure this is the same guitar as Malcolm, but it does look like it.

The famous Gibson ES 345 that was used by Taylor after he left the Stones. Uncertain if this is the same 345 used on Exile and before on tour.

Fender Musicmaster: Absolutely cheapest of the cheap, and for sure a replacement guitar. Never seen again -and never seen before.

Bill's Mustang bass, never to be seen after the Seattle '72 gigs.

Micawber: acquired in March '71, here still without the PAF neck pickup fitted. The pickup was fitted somewhere along the '72 tour. Also stil with original three-saddle bridge.

A sunburst Tele. I have one picture from Seattle '72 of this guitar. Is this the '67 Sunburst he used ever since '81? It does not look like it. Is this a loan or rent?

'57 Strat. Used throughout the '72 tour, seen briefly on the '79 NB tour, and again in '88 for press shots.

Mathijs

It is definitely Malcolm.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 3, 2009 21:46

How could i missed this thread ?

Bumpwinking smiley

HMN

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: December 4, 2009 00:24

Britney
Okay here's one:

I think that's Chicago #1?

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: December 4, 2009 02:28

My guess is that they incorrectly thought it would be easier to sing Happy from that side, then realized it wasn't. That is all I can come up with. I have a set of photos from this show that the photographer does not want me to share. I did once and got chewed out about it. The photo ended up on the Chicago '72 boot "She Liked The Way I Held The Microphone." The photo of Jagger at the mic is from Vancouver.

Date: April 1, 2011 11:21

Palace Revolution 2000
If the guitar (Custom capoed 2nd fret) was indeed used here it has to be either Rocks Off or maybe even "Gimme Shelter". First gig of the tour; and all kind of things were tried out, went wrong. Keith completely screws up "Rocks Off" anyway; on "Loving Cup" I think he plugging a jack into a guitar right while Jagger is singing with the piano, LOL. Of the dropped songs "Ventilator" sounds good, "Loving Cup" too. "Torn & Frayed" does not come off well.

The Custom most probably was used for Sweet Virginia -it's played on electrics at this show, and is played with a capo on the second fret.

Mathijs

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1705
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home