Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: McCartney "Memory Almost Full"
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: May 31, 2007 22:51

I rarely ever post non-Stones topics here, but I thought for those interested I would let you know I have heard in ints entirety the new Mccartney release scheduled to come out in June. Don't know if anyone else has heard it, but I have to say it is a total disappointment. I thought that his last record "Chaos and Creation" was the best album he'd done since the 70s - liked it better than "A Bigger Bang" even (sorry guys). So coming off that late in the career triumph, that made "Memory Almost Full" even more of a disappointment. The quality songwriting just isn't there this time, and much of it reminds me of his hammy 1980's work (the excellent "Tug of War" excluded). The production is weak, and his voice doesn't sound particularly good either. Again, I could forgive those things if the songs themselves were up to snuff, but they simply aren't. There is the occasional silver lining in the album's second half, a "Abbey Road"-esque suite of songs all tied together that recall various stages of his career. But all in all it left me w/the feeling that he should have ended his recording career on a high note in 2005. I give it a C -.

Re: OT: McCartney "Memory Almost Full"
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 31, 2007 22:53

I always worry when the critics hail something....

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: May 31, 2007 22:59

Imposter,

Give it a few listens. I was underwhelmed at first, but I really like it now. It's a grower!

Ross

Date: May 31, 2007 23:04

Oh I will, Ross. I'm too long-time a fan to give up after just 2 listens. But my initial reaction is less than stellar. I do kind of like the single "Dance Tonight". It's goofy - the lyrics are more simplistic than a children's song - but it's a cheerful little number that's hard not to like. I am just having a hard time with the rest of it. I'd probably like it better if the last one wasn't so darn good.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 1, 2007 02:33

He began working on this album several years ago, only to put it aside while he did Chaos and Creation. That fact alone would seem to suggest that even HE was never all that thrilled with it to begin with.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: June 1, 2007 04:04

It seems McCartney puts out one very good cd followed by a very mediocre cd.

1/ Flowers in the Dirt (very good)
2/ Off The Ground (mediocre at best)
3/ Flaming Pie (very good)
4/ Driving Rain (weak)
5/ Chaos + Creation (very good)
6/ Memory Almost Full (mediocre/weak)

McCartney needs a strong producer/co-writer who has the balls to shoot down some of his weaker material.

At least McCartney puts out more than one studio record per decade like the Stones.

PS: Run Devil Run was also very good, but it was mostly covers so that doesn't count.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: June 1, 2007 04:23

James makes a good point and I agree to a degree but I never thought Chaos and Creation was that great. This is my rating list:

FLOWERS IN THE DIRT excellent
OFF THE GROUND good
FLAMING PIE excellent - the best of the batch
DRIVING RAIN good
CHAOS AND CREATION good
RUN DEVIL RUN (album of oldies) very good - did have 3 originals + he made some of the others his
MEMORY ALMOST FULL haven't heard it yet but a crap title for an album (I know, double meaning computer lingo - yawn)

I do think his recent DVD's (especially RED SQUARE) totally rock. That young band he now has really gives his sound an extra kick, especially on songs like "I'VE GOT A FEELING" and "HELTER SKELTER"

Date: June 1, 2007 05:53

Agreed HelterSkelter on the Red Square dvd - excellent indeed. And James Kirk was right on the money in my opinion. The saving grace on Chaos was Nigel Goodrich. I wasn't afraid to tell Paul if he came into the studio with a crap song (McCartney himself said as much). Plus he is a much more inventive and thoughtful producer than David Khane (if that's how you spell it), who produced not only this but also "Driving Rain" (also one of Paul's weakest records). Albums like Chaos and Flaming Pie worked because they really played to Paul's strengths, whereas other ones falter because they don't have a sense of direction. I played "Memory Almost Full" for the third time this evening, and it still sucks. Though I did find the song "Vintage Clothes" to have some charm but still nothing to write home about.

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: June 1, 2007 09:52

I actually enjoy McCartney's new album very much. As Chaos was very traditional and classic-sounding, Memory Almost Full is very experimental and fresh. I've never heard McCartney do something like "Mister Bellamy" before. Unlike a lot of his albums, it's actually interesting and inspired all the way through. But I do agree with the consensus that David Khane is not a good producer. The drum cymbals sound really bad on this album.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 1, 2007 12:55

I have not heard it yet, but someone wrote that it was "similar to McCartney II", which is not exactly a compliment.

The first single and video are good, though, and should help sales at least initially.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 1, 2007 14:45

I'm getting it today.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: June 1, 2007 15:39

How? It's not out until monday!

Check out the new website, it now has a memory almost full site. Takes over from the main site. The songs sound great, can't wait until monday. And then tuesday I'm off to werchter!

What a week for Mr. Jimmy...

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 1, 2007 15:51

>It seems McCartney puts out one very good cd followed by a very mediocre cd.

Why does the list supporting your statement start so late in McCartney's career? I ask because I haven't paid attention to anything since PIPES OF PEACE (which was a struggle to make it through once).

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 1, 2007 16:07

Mr Jimmy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How? It's not out until monday!

I asked at the store and they said they'd get it today.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: June 1, 2007 18:40

You can buy this legitimately, and quite cheaply, right now at:

[mp3city.com.ua]

I dont know much about that site, but the prices seem great!

Ross

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 3, 2007 06:05

I got an E-Mail today from a local radio station about a contest they are running next week. Basicly it's a chance to win tickets to some sort of private McCartney concert. Anybody else heard anything about this?

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: June 3, 2007 06:51

drbryant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have not heard it yet, but someone wrote that it
> was "similar to McCartney II", which is not
> exactly a compliment.

It doesn't sound like McCartney II.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home