Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rate this SET LIST - would you trade in the current one?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 31, 2007 14:20

bassplayer617 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Please forgive me folks, but Mick, Keith & Chuck
> have done much better than what you've done. Nice
> tries, though.
>
> It continues to amaze me that some of you folks
> want the band to stay away from the songs that
> made them famous -- as if they should cater to the
> 10% of the so-called "hardcore" and ignore the 90%
> who came to see them perform the familiar hits.
>
> Sorry, people -- the band belongs to everybody,
> not just the elitists. Enjoy the shows, and good
> health to you.

The original post asked for people's personal opinions...not what happens to be 'practical'. No one's realistically expecting them to ignore some of their best known material as far as I can see. Theres a significant difference between a personal wish list and reality. Elitism doesnt come into it.

And when youve seen them play Brown Sugar and about 6-7 others at every show youve been at in the last 25 years, I think youre perfectly entitled to your opinion if you want to hear something else instead.

the laughable argument seems to be that if you want the band to dig deeper and play something different, youre a 'setlist whiner' - even though we'll all go to the shows anyway if they continue to play the usual stuff.

Yet those who insist on the band catering solely for the casual fan are actually make excuses for those people - because THEY will apparently be the ones 'whining' and not coming back THEIR 'demanded' songs dont get played - an assumption which is absolutely groundless.

Date: May 31, 2007 14:20

paulywaul Wrote:
> Gazza Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > leaving aside the fact that its a bit long by
> > Stones standards and unrealistic for that
> reason
> > alone, I would probably do jail time to be down
> > front at a show like that.
>
> I'd probably be in the cell alongside ya ...

I'll be insisting on solitary confinement!

Date: May 31, 2007 14:22

melillo Wrote:
> the stones should set aside a die hard nite,
> casuals need not apply at least a few times per
> tour, maybe that would hold us over until the
> vaults are opened

they kinda did that on Licks with the theatre shows as it was supposedly geared towards those who werent coming to hear the hits.

they still played them, though!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 31, 2007 14:24

Gazza Wrote:

> I'll be insisting on solitary confinement!

Date: May 31, 2007 14:30

Naff off, Godber...

Re: Rate this SET LIST - would you trade in the current one?PX
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: May 31, 2007 15:26

The thing that got me into thinking about a set list like this was seeing the set lists on the new BIGGEST BANG DVD box Set.Don't get me wrong, I'm really looking forward to the DVD Box coming out in 2 weeks but someone left a comment that the fantastic and beautiful AS TEARS GO BY has been over looked and left off (but we get multi versions of SATISFACTION, MISS YOU, and a few other hard core war horses) It was also mentioned that SHE WAS HOT is another missing number which is true and a shame but I do assume that SHE WAS HOT will pop up in Scorsese's film since it was played at the Beacon on both nights (still would have been nice to have SHE WAS HOT, DEAD FLOWERS, and AS TEARS GO BY on the DVD box set) I just know that if I wanna hear/see BROWN SUGAR I have about 10 DVD's and boot Videos where I can find it - at least 10 !!. If I wanna see/hear AS TEARS GO BY I have the version on ED SULLIVAN and that's it.... This is the center of the entire problem IMHO (at least that's how I personally feel).... the more variety I can get the better the experience IMO......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-31 15:29 by HelterSkelter.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: May 31, 2007 15:37

I have always had a dream to hear Empty Heart live, much harder than the original recording as you mention. Something like the MC5 cover, I think it would work out perfect - especially at the b-stage.

Re: Rate this SET LIST - would you trade in the current one?PX
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 31, 2007 15:38

HelterSkelter Wrote:
I'm really looking forward to the DVD Box coming out
> in 2 weeks but someone left a comment that the
> fantastic and beautiful AS TEARS GO BY has been
> over looked and left off (but we get multi
> versions of SATISFACTION, MISS YOU, and a few
> other hard core war horses)

yes, whats going on?? this sucks... so much for this new set, showing off rarely heard/seen tracks. sad smiley

Sadly, i didn't get to see the band perform this gem, last year, but was looking forward to viewing it on DVD.

..another lacklustre version of 'Miss You', will not suffice as an alternative.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 31, 2007 15:57

Just for fun:

When I scrape together 10 million quid or whatever you have to pay the stones to get your own personal show with bespoke set list of your own choosing, this is what they'll play.

1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. If You Can't Rock Me
3. Sway
4. 100 Years Ago
5. Out of Control
6. Midnight Rambler
7. Hey Negrita
8. Let It Rock
9. Slave
10. How Can I Stop
11. Little T&A
12. Some Girls
13. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
14. All Down The Line
15. Route 66
16. Hang Fire
17. Let It Loose
18. Dead Flowers
19. Brown Sugar
20. Sympathy

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 31, 2007 17:08

I wish I could remember the setlist I submitted to RS.com before the tour started, but it did also have One Hit leading off. I think that would be a killer tune to open with!! I had it all programmed in my changer and loved it. Would listen to it at least once a day. I know the first 3 are accurate, but the order of the rest I'm probably getting wrong, though the songs are correct...

1. One Hit
2. Hang Fire
3. Too Tight
4. Ruby Tuesday (got this in Hartford)
5. Almost Hear You Sigh
6. Heartbreaker (got this opening night)
7. Let Me Go
8. Coming Down Again
9. Love Is Strong (got this at MSG 1st show '06)
10. Thru & Thru
11. Little T&A (got this in Foxboro)
12. To B-Stage: Worried Bout You (got this at MSG 1st show '06)
13. B-Stage: Don't Stop
14. From B-Stage: Baby Break It Down
15. Hand of Fate
16. Wild Horses (sorry - I've yet to hear it live)
17. Mothers Little Helper
18. Sympathy for the Devil
19. Jumpin Jack Flash
20. Brown Sugar

You know, looking back over this list, I guess I lucked out pretty well this tour. Five songs from my dream list I heard on this tour. Don't Stop I love and would love to hear again, and the last 3 are the 3 must-have's in every show IMO and in that order, we still get the frenzied build-up to the end. There is no better closing song than Brown Sugar IMO with it's drawn out YeahYeahYeah Whoa. Leaves everyone wantin more. At the same time, JJF makes the best opener and I never tire of them startin out with that one. What's between those bookends - so long as it includes Sympathy - is what matters. Course, that being said, I thought it'd be a nice change to have One Hit at the top LOL Actually, I love that 1-2-3 combo! Even if you don't know the songs, if you're not up and rocking by the end of Too Tight, then you're not breathing!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-31 21:10 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: May 31, 2007 20:31

Well I think ONE HIT is a great song (and I do have it as my opening number) but I noticed on my Toronto '89 pro shot Boot video (the one version I have of it live) is that the timing at the beginning seems to really throw them. Somebody (Ronnie OR Keith) comes in at the wrong time and then it takes a few seconds for the tune to gel. Once they get going it really kicks but there is a bit of a lack of tightness at the start.... Not as bad as STOP BREAKING DOWN in Miami '94 (hard to surpass that one) but playing ONE HIT more often woould have helped. I was surprised they'd dropped it for the Atlantic City '89 pay per view... that was a damn shame and big lose - DEAD FLOWERS was gone also I think.....

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1602
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home