Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bootleg collecting anno 2007
Posted by: Hendrik ()
Date: May 27, 2007 16:11

It has been a while since ive posted something on here. With the upcoming concerts, a few thoughts....
The last couple of years there have been many changes in the bootleg industry and the way people collect. Who cares these days if you you have one of the few copies of Urban Jungle '90 (RSCD), worth 250 euro or the same recording on Seventh Of July (Chamelion), worth 40 euro or just the july 7, 1990 recording on a cd rom or hard drive for 0 cost?????
The medium is not important anymore but just the availability. These days less and less people collect vinyl or cd's anymore. Its way easier to download the shows (just a few days after the concert) and if there's a better recording available, you simply replace it. Days are gone that we paid 100 euro of more for a VGP 2cd which was always replaced a few months later with a remastered version.
The number of vinyl/cd collectors is decreasing; loads of collectors are offering their bootleg collection for sale because they realise that its getting worth less and less. The recordings will always be there but the time that you bought Garden State 78 on a saturday afternoon and listened to it for weeks and weeks or that you were waithing for the post to get a parcel with the latest Hot Lips, Idol Mind or VGP cd's, are far behind us.....
Hendrik Mulder
ps: Listening to Philadelhia Special (TSP) now.....

Re: Bootleg collecting anno 2007
Posted by: mofur ()
Date: May 27, 2007 16:26

Yeah, the internet has made everything so much easier....in fact too easy!!

I crave the days when you had the exitement of looking for something for weeks, months, years.....now everything is only two or three clicks away

I used to long for the "boot record fair" that passed through our town twice a year - saving up for it. Not so anymore.....(the last time I saw it, it was mostly a venue for vinyl records)

...and that's not just music. Everything!! I used to have a GF who was crazy about Art Deco and books on the subject and the artefacts themselves were pretty hard to get by - so it was always a pleasant surprise when I found something for her at auctions, fairs or whereever.

Now, she sits in front of her pc and she can get ANYTHING! And does *lol*

WOW - I'm an old man *lol*

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: May 27, 2007 16:26

I've always been wary of bootlegs, no matter how pretty the packaging. I doubt very much whether I'll buy many more in future in this Torrent age. I tend to only be interested in gigs I've actually been to, anyway.
Having said that, I'm expecting to go to Japan later in the year, so I doubt I'll totally resist the allure of Shinjuku!

Lee

Date: May 27, 2007 16:34

Weelll...I don't know about these days...but around the time of WW III you could get a package of Keith solo recordings and live with the Expensive Winos - complete with a little (full!) bottle of JD. Now - that's packaging!! ;-)

Makes me wonder to this day, why I didn't buy it????

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 27, 2007 16:36

That's the trend these days, to not buy, but download for free instead.
I think the bootlegers will sell less and less of their releases, until there's no labels left, apart from those who produce well-known best sellers. There's not enough money involved for them to pay for rare sources from collectors.
There's something special about opening a package of new Japanese bootlegs though...!
Maybe the only thing that could save bootleg-industry, is if all torrent-sites were shut down in a mysterious way.
I'd like to see a list of how many bootlegs that are sold these days...one would think there is a significant delcline every year or month.

Posted by: jomo297 ()
Date: May 27, 2007 16:39

I love the downloading age. It's certainly helped my collection.

Date: May 27, 2007 16:46

Another side about torrenting, that makes bootlegs less interesting,
is that people get to hear better sources for recordings - as there often are lower generation tapes for them, and it makes one feel cheated if one have bought a bootleg in worse quality of the same show
Yet, I get the feeling that produced Stones bootlegs are more often the best source for a show....which is not the case with most other artists.
Maybe 'cos there has been so much money in Stones bootlegs the last 35 years.

Date: May 27, 2007 16:49

Erik_Snow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Yet, I get the feeling that produced Stones
> bootlegs are more often the best source for a
> show....which is not the case with most other
> artists.
> Maybe 'cos there has been so much money in Stones
> bootlegs the last 35 years.

There were rumours - back in his day - that Ian Stewart was responsible for some high grade quality bootlegs. I even saw an interview with Keith, where he mentioned this *cackle*

Posted by: django ()
Date: May 27, 2007 16:58

Hendrik,

Now I think I know why the last update on your site is from June 2005. A great site for Stones bootleg collectors BTW which I really appreciated for years.

You are right with your thoughts but I think it' a shame. I don't like to have my bootleg collection on a hard drive. I need something to hold in my hand, a nice cover, a booklet etc. How poor is that to have a mp3 bootleg? IMO. Maybe I'm too nostalgic. These are the modern times, I know, but I don't have to follow in this case as long as some labels like DAC or IMP exist.

Date: May 27, 2007 17:06

django, MP3 bootlegs is not an alternative, I think Hendrik M meant torrents WAV.
And yes I like real CDs and real covers too...

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: May 27, 2007 17:13

I really miss the days when (as someone mentioned) we would go to the fairs and look for boots. And the excitment it was when you were waiting for the post.

But on the other hand I really am glad for the torrents. First of all because when you get kids and start a family the "boots-money" ain't there anymore, not for me.

Date: May 27, 2007 17:16

I think bootlegers digged their own grave, by turning up the prices the way they did...well not the bootleg-producers only, but people in-between who sold them on. VGPs for intance costed twice as much in stores, than they did if you bought them from the right people...and even if you got the most reasonable alternative...you'd spend a LOT of money if you wanted to keep track of the new releases.

One thing about torrents....99% of the people get everything for free, so the majority of people should be happy about it
An old fashioned "trade" is maybe a better way to do it, as both parts has to contribute, instead of leeching only.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-27 17:18 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 27, 2007 17:44

yeah but there is nothing like collecting an original boot that you have been looking forever for, for example a couple of years ago i found an original
stone crazy 2cd set called the frankfurt tapes in an lp size box from japan
for a great price, somehow downloading that show from the internet just would not have been the same, also just yesterday from the same japan web site i found an original 2cd set happy birthday nicky from the oh boy label for a great price, it is on the way as we speak, nothing better than waiting for that parcel to arrive from japan imho

Date: May 27, 2007 17:55

One of the nice things of bootleg collecting in the 'old days' is to get something nice and rare; sometimes something which you were looking for a long long time. Then listen to it for a whole evening and the next few days and to share it with friends. Now every show is available for everyone. Not saying that its a good thing or a bad thing but its just a fact that they secrecy and intimicy of bootleg collecting is gone.
I think I hit the nail on the head when I say that people are not looking for 'Liver Than You'll Ever Be' anymore but that they just want the 2nd Oakland 1969 show (on cd-r or on the hard drive).....
See you soon....
Hendrik Mulder

Date: May 27, 2007 17:56

Frankfurt Tapes, that one has a fantastic artwork, looks impressive.
I understand people who collect factory pressed CDs, and I also understand people who don't want to contribute to the bootleg-labels.
Used to collect CDs, but I'm buying less and less of them
Still remember the packages of Outsider Bird CDs...ah, those were the days
Torrents is like a library where you can get great scans of pics and books...in the same quality on a different kind of paper, but there's something special about having the original books on real thick paper...that will last for a lot of years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-27 18:06 by Erik_Snow.

Date: May 27, 2007 18:08

Frankfurt Tapes and the other Stone crazy titles, OBR, HotLips, VGP, Idol Mind....all beautiful, great and much sought after and people paid, and still pay, a lot of money for these titles. However because its a bootleg, it will loose its value one day. Its all about supply and demand; fact is that cd sales (so also bootleg cd's) are decreasing: less and less people are buying cd's and its a matter of time that [people are also are going to sell their cd's and it is at this moment that there's more supply than demand that prices will drop, also for those labels I mentioned above. Not a lot of popel out there are willing to pay 250 euro for the original Frankfurt Tapes. Possibly more people are willing to sell for that price and when you start to sell your first rarity then more will follow...
Time is on my side....

Date: May 27, 2007 18:12

Yes that's a good point, Mulder, it's all about supply and demand when it comes to bootlegs. Official material, acetates and such, will have a much more steady price. In fact the price goes up, as the years go by.
Enjoyed your site when it was active, BTW !

Date: May 27, 2007 18:18

Agree, that's the reason why I offer at least $1000 for the one who can supply me the UK album Have You Seen Your Mother Live (LK4838) in mono MINT!!!

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 27, 2007 18:24

>>UK album Have You Seen Your Mother Live (LK4838) in mono MINT!!!

I do not think this exists....Never seen it...not even a photo...likely this export, since recorded in true stereo, was never released in Mono, but if it does, I offer $2,000!

JR

Date: May 27, 2007 18:26

John, you know I will outbid you...winking smiley Remember Flowers? We're OT now....
Hope all is well with you.

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: May 27, 2007 20:48

Althought the torrents is the way to go now. I know fans will still be trading for cds as mentioned above some people like to have the artwork like myself. as well to look at, it makes it more interesting. I'm on dial up so can't torrent anything.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 27, 2007 21:41

This might be the thread to ask this: I still am not set up for torrenting. Can I get in touch with someone, maybe P.M. who can waLK me through it? I would appreciate it immensly. It kills me to look at RO tracker..

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: May 27, 2007 21:59

I could have helped - in theory, but I use Azureus, and it seems that uTorrent is the one to go for, I'm not familiar with that.
me English is not well either...
have you checked "bit torrent help" at Rocks Off.

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: May 27, 2007 22:21

I feel sorry for music lovers who feel that its not worth buying vinyl. Vinyl format has lasted more than any other. It,s the best way for an audiophile to listen to music. Of course your stereo system as well as your collection will be tailored to your income. I have Pro+Acc Tablettes, Rega Planar 3 and Creek amp which delivers my dreams to my ears. I have every Rolling Stones album on vinyl. And on other formats. I dld bootlegs because they are free. Leaving my spare income to continue to upgrade my vinyl collection. If you were a teenager in the 70,s and bought the banned God Save The Queen by The Sex Pistols and it was in mint condition. You could be £7.000 better off. I rest my case. Anyone who thinks vinyl is on the way out is misinformed.

Date: May 27, 2007 22:25

Vinyl is an awesome way of storing and playing music, but not when it comes to bootlegs...as only 5% of the material is available on vinyl, and most of those 5% is in much better quality on CDs/CDRs....just a handful of bootleg vinyls is still worth looking for, unless you're collecting them for other reasons than the quality/listening-part.

Date: May 27, 2007 22:59

<>>UK album Have You Seen Your Mother Live (LK4838) in mono MINT!!!>

I checked what I had. Only SKL 4838 Stereo. Not worth much?

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: May 27, 2007 23:07

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-15 15:06 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 28, 2007 04:14

Erik, so I downloaded bitorrent to get started. I follow everything it saysd on RO help page but I get stuck once I am trying to download the first torrent. In the box it says the title of disc and under 'Progress' there is only a big red line. Nothing else is procewssing. I can see it say 0%. At the bottom it does say something about firewall.
And how can one find out what tracks are on a title before downloading it?

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-28 04:16 by ChelseaDrugstore.

Date: May 28, 2007 04:17

Chelsea, please e-mail me, and I'll write back tomorrow it's kind of late now, but I suggest using Azureus, even though uTorrent is better.
I used Bittorrent for a while, but it sucked.

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: May 28, 2007 10:40

Hendrik,
it is a pity you abandoned your own site!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2162
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home