Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Led Zep III -- An Underappreciated Classic
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: May 27, 2007 05:31

"The Immigrant Song", "Gallows Pole", "Tangerine", "Since I've Been Loving You", "That's the Way" --- damn, when I was a teenybopper, I wasn't sure what to think about this. Like many of the young & unenlightened of the time, I thought they'd gone "soft". Now, of course, looking back, the band was trying to take us leaping forward -- we weren't able to keep up with them at that point.

Re: OT: Led Zep III -- An Underappreciated Classic
Posted by: thor ()
Date: May 27, 2007 05:44

After Led Zep I and II any album was going to be a hard act to follow.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 27, 2007 05:55

I like this album too. Of course you cant forget the magnificent "Friends" the end of friends has this weird vibrating synthicizer sound and its the same kind of sound you hear at the end of Tatoo You's "Heaven"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-27 05:56 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: May 27, 2007 06:20

It's a good album, but for whatever reason I just can't get into it like I can some of the others. It used to be my favorite when I was first getting into Zep, but it's sort of been like the Layla album for me. I loved it when I was 18 and 19 years old, but the older I've gotten, I either appreciate it less, or appreciate other albums alot more.

Physical Graffitti is probably my favorite Zeppelin album but this has got me thinking that I need to go back and listen to them all again. My opinion and tastes as far as Zeppelin is concerned have probably changed/evolved again. I haven't listened to them much in a couple of years because I'm so busy listening to all the Stones, Clapton, Gram Parsons, Dwight Yoakam, and George Jones recordings that I've been aquiring.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 27, 2007 10:21

I think Led Zep 111 is Classic underappreciated classic. Every time someone steps up and says that III is not a great album there is always somone quickly to step up and says, yes it is a great album.......Besides songs already mentioned. What about Hats Off To Harper,Since I've Been Loving You,Bron-Yr-Aur...........A classic in my book.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: May 27, 2007 11:11

The song Friends is my favorite by Zep. It has that great mystic feel to it, and it takes me right back to the seventies every time. Like Tumbling_Dice_07, this album was my favorite, but in resent years I've found myself listening more to Physical Grafitty, and Houses Of The Holy.

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: May 27, 2007 12:18

Immigrant Song has to be one of the greatest first tracks ever. They used it as the opening number of their live show for a couple of years. Loads of other great tracks too. Unfortunately for ZepIII, it's sandwiched between two of the greatest albums of the era, so maybe people seem to think it has to be compared to these?

Personally I think it's a great album - the acoustic stuff is some of their best work in my opinion; can't understand why they were ever really considered a heavy metal band any more than, say, Cream or Hendrix....

Lee

Posted by: pay pay ()
Date: May 27, 2007 14:46

I love Zep 3.My fave after PG. I love Jimmy on acoustic.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 27, 2007 15:12

i liked it...immigrant song was especially riveting...i liked the first four very very much...and some of the stuff afterward...zep's 1 particualrly particularly knocked me totally out...totally...as fresh and original as beck's truth and beck=ola, but certainly it's own thing...
i loved presence and a lot of their stuff at the time but must say in all honesty as the years pass...just give me that first classic, and i never feel a lack for missing any of the others...that first one tho...yowza.. mho.
i do love page on acoustic...black mountain number right before 'communication breakdown'on the lp, kills meh...so tanx bud, i will listen to 3 again soon with more of an ear toward jimmy's acoustic playing...what kind of acoustics did he gravitate to, anyone know? seen 'em live but have no remembrance of tha t detail...

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: May 27, 2007 15:38

If Zep III had one more solid rocker on it - Let's say BLACK DOG replaced the throw away song HATS OFF TO ROY HARPER it would fall in line right there with ZEP I, II, and IV....Kinda like GOAT'S HEAD SOUP (a CRISS CROSS MIND inclusion would have made a big diference)

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: May 27, 2007 16:42

Yes, "Friends" rules! Have always loved "III" and its unexpected, un-metally weirdness(es). (Though it still rocks)

The sound of Friends on the remastered CD is enthralling (for once with the CDs!).

Posted by: downtown suzie ()
Date: May 27, 2007 16:53

III is probably my favourite Led Zeppelin album...I think that Since I've been loving you is one of their best songs

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 27, 2007 17:51

They were listening to a lot of CSNY and Joni Mitchell at the time. It had a beneficial effect on them, I think.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: May 27, 2007 18:01

Isn't, Going To California about Joni Mitchell?

I love Led ZepIII

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 27, 2007 18:03

Bingo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Isn't, Going To California about Joni Mitchell?
>
>

She's the "Girl out there, with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair"

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 27, 2007 18:05

I remember when I purchased the single 'Immigrant Song' I think it is not possible to put more music/sound in a song then this one.

Date: May 27, 2007 18:18

NICOS Wrote:
> I remember when I purchased the single 'Immigrant
> Song' I think it is not possible to put more
> music/sound in a song then this one.

Speaking of that single, the b-side is one of my favorite Zep songs. I think Zeppelin III would have been much better if they'd included "Hey Hey What Can I Do" on it.

Date: May 27, 2007 18:32

Tumblin_Dice_07 Wrote:

>
>
> Speaking of that single, the b-side is one of my
> favorite Zep songs. I think Zeppelin III would
> have been much better if they'd included "Hey Hey
> What Can I Do" on it.

Yeah your right TD. Hey Hey,is a great song. Kind of wierd how it never ended up on an album. I saw Plant a couple of years ago and he did play that song. Very nice.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 27, 2007 21:55

LZ III is pretty erratic. The power of the good songs carries the weaker ones."Immigrant Song", "Since I've been loving you", "Friends", "Gallow's Pole", "That's the way", "Tangerine" and "Bron'y'aur" are xcellent. I hate the two last songs: "Tiles" and "Roy Harper".
But Page's production skills are getting better and better. The way they record the spacey, giant trudging groove in the verses of "Since I've been loving" is incredible. The organ and the droning Bass under Bonzo's massive, but restrained drums. Only to all open wide up in the chorus when Plant wails and the guitars let loos. And it's only two well played guitars - none of this wall-of-guitars. I love the way Plant sings the 3rd verse; the lines "seven seven seven to eleven every night.." after the guitar solo.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: May 27, 2007 22:26

Plant and Page favor this album as well, judging by their heavy reliance of III tracks used for their 'Unplugged/UnLedded' DVD/CD release.

I know they really disliked the press bashing them for this release in 1970.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: ddurando150 ()
Date: May 27, 2007 23:50

who has hey he what i do on 45 ??

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 27, 2007 23:51

Best album I never owned.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 28, 2007 03:09

ddurando150 Wrote:
> who has hey he what i do on 45 ??

Me I guess

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: May 28, 2007 04:30

Out on the Tiles... one of my fav Zep songs.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 28, 2007 06:03

great disc! A sleeper that takes a bit of time to access...some of their strongest stuff! I actually like the Unleaded version of Friends more than the Zep III version!

Date: May 28, 2007 06:13

custom55 Wrote:
> Out on the Tiles... one of my fav Zep songs.

Out On The Tiles rocks!! I can't beleive I forgot Tangerine is on this album......Allright Hat's Off to Harper may not be such a good song after all......But still I like this Zep album better than Houses of the Holy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-28 06:20 by sweetcharmedlife.

Date: May 28, 2007 06:15

rattler2004 Wrote:
> Plant and Page favor this album as well, judging
> by their heavy reliance of III tracks used for
> their 'Unplugged/UnLedded' DVD/CD release.

I think that's probably just down to Led Zep III being a more acoustic based album so when they did UnLedded, there were more songs on Led Zep III than the other albums that worked in that acoustic format.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: May 28, 2007 07:22

Well, it helps that I bought both of the box sets, so I can now appreciate the LZ III tracks even more now.

And, yes, I agree with others, the Unledded treatments helped remind me of what a gem this album truly is.

Having the original LP, with the weird packaging, is a reminder of the kaleidoscope of sound that they intended to show.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 28, 2007 08:09

Another reason they did so much of III on Unleaded is that Page/Plant wrote most of the songs together on accoustic while vacationing together in the highlands...

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: May 28, 2007 11:15

To me the LZ that I love begin with III.
Awesome record, awesome songs, Out on the Tiles is my favourite track.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home