Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Albums in concert
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 15, 2007 20:50

The only studio albums where every song has been played are :

Out of Our Heads (US version)
Let It Bleed ("Country Honk" was played at Knebworth, but a few bars only)
Sticky Fingers
Black and Blue
Some Girls

Bizarrely, the Stones have actually released two live albums which have included songs that have never been performed live - Got Live if you Want It and, Flashpoint. The latter included two studio songs, the former including two studio recordings overdubbed with crowd noise. One of them ("I've been Loving you too Long") had never actually been performed in concert as far as is known.

('Little baby' from 'Stripped has been performed live - but in 1962!)

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 15, 2007 21:47

You da MAN, Gazza!

Date: May 15, 2007 22:44

KSIE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think Some Girls is the only one where you could
> have seen the whole album. I believe I've seen all
> of it live. Isn't it the only Stones disc where
> all songs have been played live? LIB is next
> closest, although you could argue HTW is a fair
> replacement of Country Honk, and thus the album
> has been all-played.
>
> Karl

Some Girls
8 out of the 10 Some Girls songs were regularly played on the '78 tour. Of the two remaining songs, Before They Make Me Run was premiered at Shea Stadium in 1989 and has been in and out of the set at various times since and Some Girls was first played on the opening night of the No Security tour and then regularly for the rest of that US tour. After its appearance at the Shepherds Bush show, its only appearance since was at the 2nd Beacon show last year, However, BTMMR WAS performed by the New Barbarians in 1979, but not by the Stones.

Let it Bleed
YCAGWAYW was debuted at the Rock n roll circus, although it wasnt performed 'on tour' until 1972. Four of the other eight songs were debuted in 1969, two of them at Hyde Park.
Which leaves four songs, which were debuted later.
Country Honk (Kneworth '76 - a few bars only. And never played since), Let It Bleed (1981), Monkey Man (1994), You Got The Silver (1999)

Sticky Fingers
You Gotta Move and Brown Sugar were debuted on the 1969 tour (the latter at Altamont). Dead Flowers was played on the 1970 European tour.
Wild Horses, CYHMK and Bitch were debuted at the start of the 1971 British tour, although the first two were quickly dropped and no confirmed recordings exist of their performances from that tour. 'I Got The Blues' was debuted at the Marquee TV special and then was not played again for 28 years almost to the day until the Hartford show on 29.3.99 (I was there!)
Moonlight Mile was debuted on the No Security tour in 1999 (it hasnt been played since). Sister Morphine in Chicago on 25.9.97 and then Sway made it 10/10 for Sticky Fingers when it was debuted in Columbus on the ABB tour in September 2005.

Black and Blue
'Cherry Oh Baby' was the first B&B song to be debuted, being played at 2 of the six MSG shows in 1975. Its only other appearance to date was the 4th Paris show on 7/6/76.
Four of the other seven songs were debuted on the '76 European tour, where they were regulars - Hand Of Fate, Hey Negrita, Hot Stuff and Fool To Cry.
When introducing 'Melody' at Shepherds Bush in 1999, Mick claimed it had never been played before. He was wrong, they played it at the El Mocambo shows in 1977, although no recording exists of it. Its never been played anywhere else.
Memory Motel was debuted in Washington DC on opening night of the Voodoo Lounge tour. Crazy Mama' was also debuted at the El Mocambo - although surprisingly, considering its the most "concert friendly" song on the album, its only appearances since were on the BTB tour - last performance being in Amsterdam in July 1998.

Out of Our Heads (US version)
All twelve songs were first played in 1965, apart from "I'm Alright"(1963). Harder to track these down as most havent been played since the 60s and there are few tapes from this era. In case youre wondering about the UK equivalent of this record, 'Gotta Get Away'has never been known to have been played live.

Of the other post-1967 albums, the numbers that have been played live are

Beggars banquet - 8/10 - (Jigsaw Puzzle, Dear Doctor)
Exile - 12/18
GHS - 6/10
IORR - 6/10
ER - 4/10
TY - 8/11 (Slave, Heaven, No Use in crying)
Undercover - 3/10
Dirty Work - 2/10 !!
Steel Wheels - 8/12
VL - 9/15 (plus 'Jump on top of me')
BTB - 10/13
40 Licks - 1/4 (new songs)
ABB - 8/18

For what its worth, the Rolling Stones have released some 352 different titles. A stunning 142 of those songs have never been performed in concert, even though the band have played over 2,000 concerts - approximately 40% of their back catalogue.

Full list of unplayed songs here - [rocksoff.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-15 22:48 by Gazza.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: May 15, 2007 23:03

Thanks Gazza for the info, and for your fine site.

Karl

Date: May 15, 2007 23:23

It still needs updating, but cheers

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 15, 2007 23:48

I've seen all of SG, except "Lies".

All of LIB, if you count HTW and "Country Honk" as the same song. Oh yeah, "Love In Vain" was the New Barbarians.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 16, 2007 00:00

I am confused here: when was "One More Try" and "Good Times" played? (Off US -OOOH)
And "Under Assistant" - Time is on my side mentions it as having been performed live. Do any of the other sites that are considered sources?

Also "Hitmakers" has only "Little by Little" not played. But this is not counting the instrumental "Now I've got a witness".

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-16 00:11 by ChelseaDrugstore.

Date: May 16, 2007 02:11

Bump - I don't feel loved.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 16, 2007 02:41

I guess we can't count 'boots.lol...........Otherwise of the top of my head I would say all of SG.LIB. and nothing ever from Black & Blue,I don't think. Maybe Crazy Mama once. But 19 shows and not once have I heard Memory Motel.(bitter, oh a tad)sad smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 16, 2007 02:45

Saw Lou Reed do all of New York...was stellar...would love to see him doing Berlin.

As for Bowie, he really didn't do a album theme tour...but he did play several club gigs in the New York area where he did all of Heathen, and after an intermission he did all of Low...that would have been something else!

The closest he came to doing a whole disc tour was for 1.Outside

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 16, 2007 02:47

Didn't Pink Floyd play all of "Animals" live?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 16, 2007 02:48

I am sure Meat Loaf did all of Bat out of Hell...

Date: May 16, 2007 03:20

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> I am confused here: when was "One More Try" and
> "Good Times" played? (Off US -OOOH)

Both were played only on the Oct-Dec'65 US Tour

> And "Under Assistant" - Time is on my side
> mentions it as having been performed live. Do any
> of the other sites that are considered sources?

It was played exclusively on the May-june '65 US Tour.
>
> Also "Hitmakers" has only "Little by Little" not
> played. But this is not counting the instrumental
> "Now I've got a witness".

Little By Little was played on tour in spring 1964. 'Now Ive Got a Witness' was never played live as far as is known.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 16, 2007 03:49

(never mind, I found it)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-16 03:51 by Glam Descendant.

Date: May 16, 2007 04:27

So "Hitmakers is almost as close as LIB. Instrumental 3 chord blues should count as an aborted Country Honk.

Date: May 16, 2007 04:33

Gazza, I'm not trying belabor this point, but I can not find the songs on the Rocks Off Setlists. That is the source I usually go by. I knew about "Good Times"; don't know why I mentioned it.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: May 16, 2007 05:15

sweetcharmedlife Wrote:
> Didn't Pink Floyd play all of "Animals" live?

Yes and Dark Side of Going back to their early days they have done most of their songs live at one point or another,

Gazza - amazing those figures you put together, even more amazing that the Stones have not played 40 percent of it.

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: May 16, 2007 11:19

Thanks Gazza for this great list! Nice reading...

Jelle

Date: May 16, 2007 14:19

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> Gazza, I'm not trying belabor this point, but I
> can not find the songs on the Rocks Off Setlists.

> That is the source I usually go by. I knew about
> "Good Times"; don't know why I mentioned it.

Setlists arent generally available for many shows pre-1967, as just a few recordings exist. However, there are some 'generic' setlists listed for the short or mini tours they did during that 1963-65 period. Karnbach's book listed such setlists. Its therefore very hard to document when a song was debuted exactly during that period, but based on the information available, you can have a good idea of what TOUR a song was played on during that period.

List of debuts and last appearances here (note - it needs some updating re: some 2006 entries so excuse a few anomalies) - [rocksoff.org]

Entries for 1965 here - [rocksoff.org] (again, its still a work in progress)

Date: May 16, 2007 14:25

Hound Dog Wrote:
>
>
> Gazza - amazing those figures you put together,
> even more amazing that the Stones have not played
> 40 percent of it.

A shocking waste of a great back catalogue, if you ask me. I mean, no 'Out of time', 'time waits for no one', 'let it loose', 'soul survivor', to name but four. Pretty outrageous. the way things are with Stones shows now, its a cert that almost all of these great songs will never be played, which is a shame.

there's also been just over 100 cover versions that theyve performed that have never been released. Most of them before they ever had a record contract, of course, but its an intriguing list

[www.rocksoff.org]

Date: May 16, 2007 15:11

Gazza,
I stand in awe at what you put down here - thanks so very much for all this info. I have a couple of questions for you...

1. When have they performed Jump On Top of Me? I love that song! Why it didn't make the Voodoo cd instead of Mean Disposition I'll never know.

2. I'm going to check the date of that Hartford show in '99. I find it hard to believe that I would have missed a stones show in my backyard - at the time I was still living with my folks in CT. I did see them in '99, but I seem to remember it being in February...maybe it was March. In any event, I'm kind of bummed to have missed an opportunity to have met you!

3. What albums have you heard them perform live? Have you heard all of SG? Any others?

thanks!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 16, 2007 15:12

VoodooLounge13 Wrote:
> 1. When have they performed Jump On Top of Me?

Paradiso 1995.

Posted by: siggy16 ()
Date: May 16, 2007 15:17

Metallica did Master of Puppets last year so that's kinda cool for the fans,i hope they do it this year too

Date: May 16, 2007 15:21

thanks Erik!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 16, 2007 15:22

Sex Pistols did Nevermind The Bollocks in the 70s...come to think of it, they didn't have too many other songs....about 5-6 other ones
Keith did all songs from Talk Is Cheep in 1988

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-16 15:28 by Erik_Snow.

Date: May 16, 2007 15:25

VoodooLounge13 Wrote:
> Gazza,
> I stand in awe at what you put down here - thanks
> so very much for all this info.

thanks

I have a couple
> of questions for you...
>
> 1. When have they performed Jump On Top of Me? I
> love that song! Why it didn't make the Voodoo cd
> instead of Mean Disposition I'll never know.

they played it once only. At the Paradiso in Amsterdam in may 1995 (the shows that were filmed and recorded for 'Stripped'. Good version too.). I much prefer it and some of the other b-sides to some of whats on VL, but as I understand it, they had the songs picked for the album and then literally threw together a few songs at the end of the session specifically for the purpose of releasing them as b-sides.
>
> 2. I'm going to check the date of that Hartford
> show in '99.

29th march. I was there both nights, first time I;d ever seen the Stones in the US and first time I'd seen them indoors. Generally they alternated Memory Motel and Moonlight Mile at that part of the show. We had got Memory Motel on the first night, so we expected to hear Moonlight Mile, but they dusted off I Got The Blues instead. (I was told weeks earlier by someone in contact with the band who knew I was coming over for those shows that they were going to do something special in Hartford, but I ain't seriously takin' credit for it! Mind you, the same person had asked me to put in a request the previous summer and I said 'Moonlight Mile' and they rehearsed it in Amsterdam a few days later, but didnt play it until the No Security tour, so if anything its a bizarre coincidence at least..)

The 2nd Hartford show coincided with the local college basketball team (UConn?) winning their national title. Just after the Stones left the stage, they showed the celebrations from the game on the big screen and the crowd went nuts, celebrating on the streets outside afterwards.

I find it hard to believe that I
> would have missed a stones show in my backyard -
> at the time I was still living with my folks in
> CT. I did see them in '99, but I seem to remember
> it being in February...maybe it was March. In any
> event, I'm kind of bummed to have missed an
> opportunity to have met you!

Too bad..well, where did you see them? That should be easy to pin down the dates if you know what city.
>
> 3. What albums have you heard them perform live?
> Have you heard all of SG? Any others?
>
> thanks!

I wouldnt have seen an entire album performed live. 'Lies' was only played in the US in 1978 and 'Country Honk' only briefly at knebworth, and I was too young to have been at that one. My first show was in 1982, and my second eight years later.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: May 16, 2007 15:37

Speaking of Pink Floyd's whole album concerts, The Who has done the same with "Tommy" concerts and "Quadrophenia" concerts.

Date: May 16, 2007 16:01

Gazza,
That is why I missed the Stones show! I remember it well now! Thanks for the memory jog! I was at the first night in Hartford (which would mean that I did hear Memory Motel live - I thought that I had because it's on my tape - I'd thought - of that show) and debated going to the 2nd show, but being a UCONN student at the time, I actually chose to watch the title game over the stones concert - oh what a fool I was back then! LOL

That was the concert I bought my tix from the scalpers for. Just went to Hartford with no tix bought em and went in - was 6th row behind the stage. Was a great show. Some Girls, You Got the Silver, Moonlight Mile, PIB for the 1st time...

Date: May 16, 2007 20:10

Ok, now I just feel stupid: I still can nor find those tow cuts on the 65 pages. And I have had the RO site marked on my Favorites for 7 years. I know that site inside out. Later on it mentions those two cuts as unverified from the tour with no tape existant. I would like to know the source; not because I doubt it, or am trying to prove someone wrong. Just for my own Stonesbrain that now feels like it is missing something.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: May 16, 2007 20:20

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> Ok, now I just feel stupid: I still can nor find
> those tow cuts on the 65 pages. And I have had the
> RO site marked on my Favorites for 7 years. I know
> that site inside out. Later on it mentions those
> two cuts as unverified from the tour with no tape
> existant. I would like to know the source; not
> because I doubt it, or am trying to prove someone
> wrong. Just for my own Stonesbrain that now feels
> like it is missing something.

Hi CD,

The gracious Ms. sssoul pointed me here: [timeisonourside.com]

Felix Aeppli, [mypage.bluewin.ch] doesn't show Under-Assistant, Good Times, or One More Try as having been played live FWIW.

Doesn't Wyman's big book list songs mostly played per tour?

Karl

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-16 20:53 by KSIE.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2016
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home