Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT...Ray Davies,Bridgewater Hall,Manchester
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: May 15, 2007 11:46

Hello Again,

I saw the Great Raymondo Davies at The Bridgewater Hall last night-if you get the chance to go then please do,even if you only vaguely like 'The Kinks'.

RD is totally at home on stage,and sets everybody at ease from the start-how about "Sunny Afternoon" to begin with?

He ain't daft enough to forget or ignore that the 2000 punters in the sold-out hall want to hear those fine songs once again,and he doesn't disappoint.When he takes a breather in between the faster numbers (he still loons around a bit,and definitely got some air on a couple of numbers!) RD shared some anecdotes which he delivers really well.A natural storyteller,no doubt.

The set-list read like a 'Kinks Best Of' and of course included a few from RD's latest album "Other People's Lives".Which are pretty,pretty good.Idiotic smiles all round,then!

So for the second night in succession 'The Great English Songbook' has been explored to fantastic effect,firstly with "From The Jam",and then "Was In The Kinks"!Plus I got to shake his hand,too.Once a fan,always a fan,ha-ha!

Cheers,

Si.

ps I can recommend the Hall's restaurant too-great rack...of lamb!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-17 14:40 by SimonN.

Re: OT...Ray Davies,Bridgewater Hall,Manchester
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 15, 2007 11:48

Saw him at the Albert Hall last Thursday. Agree fully. Not to be missed.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: May 15, 2007 20:20

caught him at Irving PLaza in NYC last year. great show. he even did a couple of requests off the paper plates (if you ave been to a kinks or RD show you know what i mean). Clearly unrehearsed because the band didn join in. One was called "Have a Cuppa tea" That Surprise was written about on a Kinks site Ii checked out in the way we would here if the Stones broke into something like "Who's Driving Your Plane?" spontaneously in the middle fo show.

Here is the set list from the show i saw (i'll give you the link to give that web site it's props):

[kinks.it.rit.edu]

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: May 15, 2007 20:25

sounds like a fantastic show, glad to hear he's still out there touring.

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: May 15, 2007 21:13

Yeah - the Edinburgh show was also first rate. Celluoid Heroes!

Posted by: Han ()
Date: May 16, 2007 01:31

Great pics!

You might have to scrape me off the floor at the end of the tour, but it'll be really good scrapings. - Mick Jagger

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 16, 2007 02:01

Great pics!!! Thanks so much for sharing and now I am completely jealous! I really wish I could see him on this tour. HIS SET LIST IS AMAZING! 29 frigging songs and so many classics mixed with rarities and a lot of his recent disc. Great stuff! Would love to see Oklahoma USA!! One of my favs!

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 16, 2007 09:54

got to join in the rayfest here; imho, the guy's a giant. one for all the ages to come. so much heart and delicacy of melody and balz out rock frenzy...time after time, album after album, year after year and decade after decade with amazing consistencyeasily easily up there with the very best songwriters of all time imo...easily...including dylan, van the man, (& the obvious suspects around here)smiling smiley
...anybody...any era...any continent...immortal...a back dated treasure chest for centuries of people to discover and covet...a wizard; a true star. the over-used word 'genius' necessarily has to come up...his very own amalgam, like elvis, the stones; a true original...an international treasure...one ray davies = 250 bonos...a class all his own...(or "their" own, meaning dave, mick, pete and the others as time went by)...
the rare ethers of a sacred few...and as a writer, impeccable...thnx very much for post and pics...i'm playing muswell hillbillies now...holy moly...they were decades ahead of their time...and still are...timeless. if you listen all the way thru a few times, it changes your whole life and the way you look at, and listen, to great music...at least that's how it has always, (from date of release 36 years ago, till this very day) strikes me. ray's ouput is more than merely great imo. Important. Essential.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 16, 2007 10:26

Right on beely! I also had to go to Muswell today. While at work. I still can't believe he is doing Oklahoma, that is such a tender emotive song, and you really can hear Ray's heart and soul on it. I love all of Muswell, truely their Exile...lots of great comingling of musical styles and the first fusion of Brit rock with New Orleans. Amazing stuff!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 16, 2007 19:28

Listened to my personal favorites Kinks CD over the weekend - also Low Budget all the way through. Still so good.

Isn't "Catch Me Now I'm Falling" as true today as it was in 1979? Ditto "Gallon Of Gas". Ditto "Low Budget". Ditto "Misery".

Keep on keeping on, Ray.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: May 16, 2007 20:01

Hello Again,

Yep,the best of RD's stuff is pretty timeless...anyone else seeing him in concert soon?

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: May 17, 2007 01:31

SimonN Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Again,
>
> Yep,the best of RD's stuff is pretty
> timeless...anyone else seeing him in concert
> soon?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Si.

As soon as he comes back to the states (NYC) i will be there. I have seen the Kinks twice, Ray twice and even Dave Davies once. i hear that Dave is healthy again and he and Ray are speaking, so there is talk of a possible "Kinks" reunion, too

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 17, 2007 03:09

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> Listened to my personal favorites Kinks CD over
> the weekend - also Low Budget all the way through.
> Still so good.
>
> Isn't "Catch Me Now I'm Falling" as true today as
> it was in 1979? Ditto "Gallon Of Gas". Ditto "Low
> Budget". Ditto "Misery".
>
> Keep on keeping on, Ray.

"Attitude"...fits well still toady Elmo. At least in my case.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-17 03:10 by sweetcharmedlife.

Date: May 17, 2007 03:19

charmed, "Attitude" = another great song from that one. Also, "Little Bit Of Emotion".

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 17, 2007 03:24

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> charmed, "Attitude" = another great song from that
> one. Also, "Little Bit Of Emotion".

Good call Elmo. As I've said before,those are my favorite Kinks albums. Low Budget,Misfits and Sleepwalker. Unfortunately Ray is not very fond of those albums and plays very little from that era live.

Like the new signature Elmo. What's that from?

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: May 17, 2007 03:50

"Misery" by the Kinks from Low Budget

I really like "Juke Box Music" from Sleepwalker as well as the title cut. Good stuff.

Some friends of mine named their band "The Misfits" after the Kinks album. Local guys, not the semi-famous goth metal band.

At their first gig, they played Some Girls and the 1st Cars album all the way through! Cool stuff!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home