Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Kinky! (maybe not....)
Posted by: Han ()
Date: May 9, 2007 16:56

I'm off to see Ray Davies at the Albert Hall tomorrow; anyone one else going, or contemplating it?

You might have to scrape me off the floor at the end of the tour, but it'll be really good scrapings. - Mick Jagger

Re: Kinky! (maybe not....)
Posted by: BarRoomQueen ()
Date: May 9, 2007 17:02

Beast, Paulywaul, ManofWealthandtaste and I are all going. See you there!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 9, 2007 17:13

What's the difference between erotic and kinky?

Erotic is when you use a feather. Kinky is when you use the whole damn chicken.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: May 9, 2007 17:29

......my coffee just spewed, Elmo...........

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 9, 2007 17:52

Here's another just for you, Lukester -

Why did the chicken cross the road?

To get to the other side.

Why did the man cross the road?

To get his d%*k out of the chicken.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: May 9, 2007 18:25

Hi,

Yes indeed-seeing young Raymondo in Liverpool on Sunday week...such a great show!

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: May 10, 2007 00:06

Guys, have a great time tomorrow. Reviews please! Would be sooo cool to get a Kinks reunion. Any news on Dave's health?

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: May 10, 2007 03:04

I was actually going to post a thread about the Live kinks. The few boots I have from the 70s suggest that they were pretty good on stage (seemingly great rapport with the fans, and just a fun time overall). Ive read that kinks gigs in the 70s were more like parties than concerts. So did anyone see them in this decade and what were they like?

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 10, 2007 08:48

It's as good as completely sold out. Good old Raymondo !

Date: May 10, 2007 10:19

paulywaul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's as good as completely sold out. Good old
> Raymondo !

Well it should be, considering he was originally doing two nights. Still, I've got a better seat this time so I mustn't complain.

You might have to scrape me off the floor at the end of the tour, but it'll be really good scrapings. - Mick Jagger

Date: May 10, 2007 10:41

Han Wrote:
> paulywaul Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's as good as completely sold out. Good old
> > Raymondo !
>
> Well it should be, considering he was originally
> doing two nights. Still, I've got a better seat
> this time so I mustn't complain.

<<< Well it should be, considering he was originally doing two nights >>>

Really ? I never knew that

Date: May 10, 2007 10:55

Yes, when it was rescheduled from last year it mysteriously dropped to just the one day. It's a sign of The End when an artist of Ray's stature can't fill a theatre in his home town.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: May 10, 2007 15:10

Kinks concerts were always unpredictable. I saw them many times and each concert was a ball. Like the Faces, the Kinks liked their drinks. They would play somewhat sloppy at times, but the arrangements were very good and they could really rock it up with the best of them. Dave always had this terrific tone to his guitar. Ray was quite outrageous and came off as being somewhat gay in his mannerisms in an endearing sort of way back in the late 60's. I remember seeing them play in Phoenix back in 1974? and Ray was singing Demon Alcohol. He was pretty well lit up that night as it was, and I recall him asking a fan if they wanted a beer. He had a bottle of Heineken in his hand. So this guy up front said yes to the drink offer and Ray just doused him with almost a full bottle... I think they were supporting Preservation Act One. Saw them open for The Who in Chicago at the Kinetic Playground when the Who were touring behind Tommy. I think it was their first tour back in the States after they had been banned. The Kinks were simply fantastic and made it a tough act to follow for the The Who. They were a fantastic live act and I would gladly follow a reunion tour if it ever came around.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: May 10, 2007 15:42

Happy Jack Wrote:
> I was actually going to post a thread about the
> Live kinks. The few boots I have from the 70s
> suggest that they were pretty good on stage
> (seemingly great rapport with the fans, and just a
> fun time overall). Ive read that kinks gigs in the
> 70s were more like parties than concerts. So did
> anyone see them in this decade and what were they
> like?

I saw the Kinks twice in the late 70s; think one show was Low Budget Tour. The live disc from that era, One From the Road, is a good representation of that era. I don't think these shows were quite as entertaining as the ones filstan mentions. The Kinks circa Low Budget went for a little more of a stadium-rock, radio-friendly commercial sound. Don't get me wrong, I loved them both times I saw them: Good playing, good sound, great Master-of-Ceremonies Ray. And Ray definitely made it a party. Just a little less eccentric/unpredictable than the Preservation Act-era.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: May 10, 2007 16:08

filstan Wrote:
> Kinks concerts were always unpredictable. I saw
> them many times and each concert was a ball. Like
> the Faces, the Kinks liked their drinks. They
> would play somewhat sloppy at times, but the
> arrangements were very good and they could really
> rock it up with the best of them. Dave always had
> this terrific tone to his guitar. Ray was quite
> outrageous and came off as being somewhat gay in
> his mannerisms in an endearing sort of way back in
> the late 60's. I remember seeing them play in
> Phoenix back in 1974? and Ray was singing Demon
> Alcohol. He was pretty well lit up that night as
> it was, and I recall him asking a fan if they
> wanted a beer. He had a bottle of Heineken in his
> hand. So this guy up front said yes to the drink
> offer and Ray just doused him with almost a full
> bottle... I think they were supporting
> Preservation Act One. Saw them open for The Who in
> Chicago at the Kinetic Playground when the Who
> were touring behind Tommy. I think it was their
> first tour back in the States after they had been
> banned. The Kinks were simply fantastic and made
> it a tough act to follow for the The Who. They
> were a fantastic live act and I would gladly
> follow a reunion tour if it ever came around.

Oh wow! The show with the Kinks and the Who is one of those shows that I wish I couldve seen. That must have been awesome.

Date: May 11, 2007 03:24

I think he played 23 songs tonight, but it could well have been more - I'm not very good at setlists. There were 4 from his last album: After the Fall; Next Door Neighbour; The Getaway; The Tourist. He also did a couple from his upcoming album.
He started with I'm Not Like Everbody Else and ended with Victoria (Mick Avory shaking a mean tambourine) and in between we had:
Sunny Afternoon
Well-Respected Man
Dead End Street
Celluloid Heroes
20th Century Man
You Really Got Me
Tired of Waiting
Days (I love this version)
Waterloo Sunset
Lola
Dedicated Follower of Fashion
A Long Way from Home
Village Green
Come Dancing

as well as the ones already mentioned.

Lord, he's good. And bloody loud. And pretty nippy on his pins for a guy with a dirty great hole in his leg.

Brilliant.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 11, 2007 03:44

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> What's the difference between erotic and kinky?
>
> Erotic is when you use a feather. Kinky is when
> you use the whole damn chicken.

This one I've heard. The chicken joke sounds more like a true story.

Date: May 11, 2007 09:40

Han Wrote:
> I think he played 23 songs tonight, but it could
> well have been more - I'm not very good at
> setlists. There were 4 from his last album: After
> the Fall; Next Door Neighbour; The Getaway; The
> Tourist. He also did a couple from his upcoming
> album.
> He started with I'm Not Like Everbody Else and
> ended with Victoria (Mick Avory shaking a mean
> tambourine) and in between we had:
> Sunny Afternoon
> Well-Respected Man
> Dead End Street
> Celluloid Heroes
> 20th Century Man
> You Really Got Me
> Tired of Waiting
> Days (I love this version)
> Waterloo Sunset
> Lola
> Dedicated Follower of Fashion
> A Long Way from Home
> Village Green
> Come Dancing
>
> as well as the ones already mentioned.
>
> Lord, he's good. And bloody loud. And pretty nippy
> on his pins for a guy with a dirty great hole in
> his leg.
>
> Brilliant.

Yep, brilliant indeed. I'll ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS find time for Ray Davies. Come on Dave Davies, get well, and PLEASE reunite with your brother !

The closing song ... Victoria. I'm still buzzing !

Date: May 11, 2007 15:55

Review from The Independent:

A careful balance of nostalgia and realism shows sign of genius
By Nick Hasted
Published: 11 May 2007

The Sixties star who came closer than anyone to matching Lennon and McCartney song for song has had tough times since his 2004 shooting in New Orleans. But last night, Ray Davies confirmed a kind of immortality.

For all the intimations of mortality, Davies still looks drain-pipe-legged and ageless. And, as his opening song attests, he is still "not like everybody else". "Where Have All The Good Times Gone?", his working-class reality check from the Sixties, is then lashed out with a touch of the brute force with which The Kinks invented heavy metal.

"A Well Respected Man" - taken as a closing-time Cockney sing-along - and "Dedicated Follower of Fashion" reveal his other side, the wry social satire that raised Ray a cut above. But it is a song from his new album Other People's Lives, "Next Door Neighbour", that finds the heart of his imagination: the tiny north London neighbourhood of his birth, Fortis Green.

Typically balancing superficial nostalgia and realism, it trawls his old street for warm humanity. Quickly following it with "Celluloid Heroes", the most sadly beautiful song ever written about celebrity, takes something you can only call genius. A broken Greta Garbo and a forgotten, TV-hurling neighbour scraping bottom find equality in Davies's world.

The recent "The Tourist" skewers the fatal condescension of the idle Western rich with a horror movie shriek, before the brand-new "No one Listens" describes Davies's own, bullet-ridden fall to the syndrome. 1971's "20th Century Man", a protest against the whole era into which he was born, reinforces the mix of community man and outsider.

"Come Dancing", their Eighties UK comeback hit, revives the Fifties dance halls into which the child Ray would watch his elder sisters vanish. "Village Green" then sinks into his English ideal, of "the church, the clock, the steeple", even as he imagines it colonised by tourists. His heartland is always being paved over, or flattened.

If such subtlety seems hard work, there is "All Day And All Of The Night". Their second, 1964 hit had, Davies confides, a dirty guitar riff by brother Dave deemed too "working-class". "Sunny Afternoon", number one when England won the World Cup, and "Dead End Street", another resistance song to the Sixties, add ammunition for the historically minded. But the current "The Getaway", a heart-felt blues about failed suburban escape, refutes the notion he is a relic.

"So Tired" and "Set Me Free" are two more Sixties songs of temporary release. "Days" is essayed with his hand in his pocket, "Lola" given over to another sing-along: landmarks which would last careers, tossed away. Ray Davies, after all, has "You Really Got Me" to storm the Albert Hall's remaining defences. "Waterloo Sunset", a song about private loneliness now the anthem of Londoners, reminds you what a pop song can be. Then Kinks drummer Mick Avory slopes on as a Cub Scout for "Victoria", and we're all in "Waterloo Sunset" paradise.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1791
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home