Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Roger Waters at the MEN Arena,7th May.
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: May 8, 2007 13:24

(After a title like that,I can't imagine anyone is still reading this.However,we will persevere.)

Hello,

Thanks to [www.scarletmist.com] I got lucky with a couple of 6th row seats at face value.Admittedly I was in two minds about going,but I do think "Dark Side..." is still a great album,and I was almost curious to see if RW was as humourless a twat as I'd imagined.

I'll cut right to the chase-only the Stones and Rod Stewart (honestly) have matched the atmosphere that RW created,in what can be a cold and cavernous hangar.

The sound (quadraphonic of course-blimey it really is 1973) was not only @#$%& loud,but also crisp.Pyrotechnics and lasers aplenty too,and of couse a jumbo widescreen telly behind the 11-piece band.Further malarkey included a space-walking astronaut,and a flying pig.Naturally.

RW isn't the first person you'd consider to be a front-man for a band,for sure,but I was surprised at how he connected with the audience right from the bombast of the opening number-he would stalk to either side of the stage and make eye-contact,and smile/shout/cajole people into action.Quite a revelation-he must've checked his dour demeanour in at the door.

I only know DSOTM plus perhaps a dozen other Floyd songs,but what I heard sounded fabulous.The first set was made-up of Floyd ("Set The Controls...","Shine On...","Wish You Were Here") and solo stuff ("Fletcher Memorial Home","Perfect Sense").His band included Andy Fairweather-Low and P.P. Arnold.Everybody got a turn at showing-off.

There was a lot of anti-war sentiment involved which at times semed a wee bit heavy-handed.I can't say that RW is a band-wagon jumper as he's been banging that drum for many years now,but right now it's easy to have a go at Dubya and Blair.And fun too.I suppose millionaire pop-stars get to have an opinion as well as everyone else.

After a fifteen-minute break it's straight into "DSOTM" with sounded stunning,at times.When people weren't cheering it was because they were dumbstruck at the playing combined with a load of visual tricks such as the prism suspended from the ceiling,or the sine-wave projected around the arena.

Forty minutes later and a crescendo has been reached-I can only remember Motorhead being louder than this!The crowd weren't ready to go anywhere so back the band come to play some stuff from "The Wall"-something about having sufficient schooling,I think-and finishing with "Comfortably Numb".Cue arena go berserk,right back to the poor sods in row X of block 207 (almost in Cheshire).

I'll not be buying any of his solo albums,but I can 100% recommend this show if you like Pink Floyd-you will not be disappointed!He plays the NEC tonight (Tuesday) and then Earl's Court this weekend over two nights.

C'mon,you must have known there'd be pictures...

Nah,he never mentioned Dave Gilmour once,either!

Cheers,

Si N.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-08 21:14 by SimonN.

Re: O/T Roger Waters at the MEN Arena,7th May.
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 8, 2007 13:31

I saw his show in Stockholm on April 27th, and can agree with every word!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 8, 2007 13:56

Thanks for the review - sounds as if I'm in for a treat on Saturday at Earl's Court.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: May 8, 2007 14:09

Saw him last week in Paris, I'm still high, it was just fantastic.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: May 8, 2007 14:47

BEAST

I'm going on Saturday too!

SD

Date: May 8, 2007 14:54

Sonic, Beast - see you guys there. May need my Formula 1 quality ear plugs if the above review is anything to go by!

Date: May 8, 2007 15:34

SonicDreamer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BEAST
>
> I'm going on Saturday too!
>
> SD

HELLO SD! I should have guessed - see you there!

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: May 8, 2007 16:59

Saw him last October in the San Francisco Bay Area. Going to see him again next month in Vegas. The sound quality is amazing- I wish he would let everyone know how to get that amazing sound! Your review has got me excited for the show- thanks.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: May 8, 2007 17:54

Wow, thnx for posting the photo's! went to Roger Waters myself last weekend too smiling smiley (in Arnhem, The Netherlands). He and his band did lots of The Wall, Dark Side complete and lots of more great songs! When he's here again I definately will attend again smiling smiley

-Menno

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: May 8, 2007 19:31

When I saw Roger in 1999 or 2000 it was like watching a great cover band. When I saw him last summer it ended up being one of the better shows and performances I've seen in ages. He was truly happy to be performing, smiled throughout the show and made direct eye contact with individuals. At one point I was a few rows back snapping photos, he noticed and stood in front of me posing until I got my shot. Any misconceptions you may have about the guy are erased as soon as the show starts.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: May 8, 2007 19:35

Here's a few minutes of Roger doing his solo song Perfect Sense from last year. I shot this with a cheapie Sony digital. Still looks acceptable.

Posted by: balders ()
Date: May 8, 2007 21:57

Thanks for the pics. I was in the "rear view" seats to the left of the stage so could not see the big screen behind the band. Truly awesome show and you are correct in saying his attitude knocks his image of dour misery guts in to a cocked hat. Where did the kids choir on another brick in the wall come from though- was it a backing tape?

Unlike yourself I will be getting his live cd and his dvd of the wall as a result of this concert.

Date: May 8, 2007 22:01

Hi balders,

Yep,it was a backing tape for that piece.Gotta say,the whole show was fantastic and occasionally moving too...funny to be reminded of how many Floyd songs that you grew-up with.

I will buy the DVD of this show,for sure!

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: woody ()
Date: May 8, 2007 22:05

Thanks for the pics.
I was at the same show and he was awesome.I watched him in 2002 'in the flesh' and at Hyde Park and i can assure you he was better this time arond.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: May 8, 2007 22:08

Sounds great! I have tickets to see him in a 22,000 seat outdoor venue near Buffalo this Summer. Like you, I'm not a big Floyd fan, but saw RW in the mid-80s and was really impressed by the setlist, his band, and his charisma.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: May 8, 2007 22:28

BEAST,Manofwealthandtaste

Where are you seated, I'm on the floor, Block B2, Row H, Seat 21?

SD

Posted by: m1cawber ()
Date: May 9, 2007 04:05

SimonN Wrote:
> I'll cut right to the chase-only the Stones and
> Rod Stewart (honestly) have matched the atmosphere
> that RW created,in what can be a cold and
> cavernous hangar.

I agree fully....I haven't come down yet, I think it was the sound quality and that PRISM that took me over the edge....did you get any PRISM pics?

Date: May 9, 2007 08:35

SonicDreamer Wrote:
> BEAST,Manofwealthandtaste
>
> Where are you seated, I'm on the floor, Block B2,
> Row H, Seat 21?
>
> SD

Nowhere near as good as you!! Block 5 Row Z seat 46. Haven't checked the seating plan (someone else bought the tix) but row Z sounds like we might be up in the gods somewhere!

Date: May 9, 2007 08:38

Hi m1cawber,

Yep,but it didn't capture it at all well!

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: May 9, 2007 09:47

Great pics.

Saw him in Rotterdam last summer, in Antwerp in April and was so impressed in antwerp (10th row seated) that I went on Marktplaats (ebay) and got me tickets for Arnhem last Saturday.

I can try and find some Prism pics

Posted by: m1cawber ()
Date: May 9, 2007 19:21

SimonN Wrote:
> Hi m1cawber,
>
> Yep,but it didn't capture it at all well!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Si.

Cheers Si...maybe it's copyrighted smiling smiley

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: May 9, 2007 22:06

I was there and it was an amazing show . Musicianship ,sound quality,visuals,emotional impact all 10 out of 10. One of the best shows I've ever been to.

Thanks for the photos SimonN. I didn't take a camera because of my experience with the security when I saw the Stones there ! Totally laid back this time.

I can't get the songs out of my head.

sc uk

Posted by: micawber K ()
Date: May 9, 2007 22:12

I saw this show last year in the Marquee in Cork in Ireland. 5000 people and I can safely say it was one of the best gigs I've ever been two. Nick Mason turned up as well to play drums from when they began Darkside which was great! I'd rather have half the floyd than one of the floyd! BRILLANT BRILLANT SHOW A MUST SEE way better than the Stones performances last year. I'm hoping that was down to coconuts & trees last year! Slane Castle will be a test for the London shows I'm going to if the engine is not well oiled by then there's a definite decline in progress sad smiley

Posted by: madmaxx ()
Date: May 10, 2007 02:04

Beast
Looks like Block 5 ends with row ZZ so you may not be as near to the gods as you think.
[www.theatremonkey.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1909
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home