Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: was foreniger pissed at jfk in 1978
Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 20, 2010 16:17

I know JOURNEY got belted with a few objects and left the stage quickly when they opened for the stones at JFK 9-25-1981

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: June 20, 2010 16:52

George Thorogood was the only good opening act that day in Philly ('81)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 20, 2010 17:12

His Majesty
Elmo Lewis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Whats the connection between Foreigner and the
> Hyde Park gig in 1969?.

This guy...

Ian McDonald played sax, flute and mellotron in King Crimson in 1969, then later formed Foreigner with Mick Jones. I could have said the west palm beach festival of 1969 as well. tongue sticking out smiley

Actually, His Majesty asked this question, not me.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Re: stones at jfk 1978
Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: April 20, 2020 23:03

i wish...the concert that changed my life.

Date: April 20, 2020 23:06

the band was amazing that day...including micks voice.i would love to know what drugs u people were on..lol.

Date: April 20, 2020 23:16

every show this tour had 90 minute setlist..i do not know what people are talking about.

Re: jfk june 17 1978
Date: April 20, 2020 23:21

Doctor Dear!
Jagger's voice was shot to hell that day, plus they played with a degree of sloppiness

I miss the sloppiness!

Date: April 21, 2020 00:36

Jagger was sick, but it was not noticeable in his actions; only his voice was hoarse. They did not do "Lies", and they did not do 'Street Fighting Man"; which they did do at all shows..
But even if he was sick, I remember well that they did "Satisfaction". They were not playing that song on the tour, and it was kind of a thing hat they played it. But here my memory gets fuzzy: I always thought it had been an encore. They came back and played it. But when I finally did get a Boot of the show, it was sequenced in the middle of the set. I could not say 100% that it was encore. Anyone else was there?

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: April 21, 2020 01:53

Jumpin’Jack Flash was last. No encore.

The opening show of the 1981 tour at the same stadium may have been more rough. Second show on Saturday September 26 was much better. Thorogood was awesome and Journey played well and was well received the second day, not so much the first day.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: April 21, 2020 02:15

I've read very conflicting reviews of this tour. Some shows I've read were very good, but others say were very sloppy. As far as this show at JFK Stadium, I did read Jagger was very hoarse and the audience was not very much into the all of the new songs from SOME GIRLS being played. I think that's why they played Satisfaction earlier in the set. It was originally supposed to be the encore but they moved it up sooner to get the audience moving. I could be totally wrong however.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 21, 2020 02:17

Palace Revolution 2000
Jagger was sick, but it was not noticeable in his actions; only his voice was hoarse. They did not do "Lies", and they did not do 'Street Fighting Man"; which they did do at all shows..
But even if he was sick, I remember well that they did "Satisfaction". They were not playing that song on the tour, and it was kind of a thing hat they played it. But here my memory gets fuzzy: I always thought it had been an encore. They came back and played it. But when I finally did get a Boot of the show, it was sequenced in the middle of the set. I could not say 100% that it was encore. Anyone else was there?

I was there and you can find the setlist on setlist.fm. Without looking it up, I'm pretty sure Satisfaction came as kind of a surprise about midway through the gig.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Re: jfk june 17 1978
Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 22, 2020 11:06

leteyer
Wasn't the Live Aid show played at JFK?
Yes, the US portion.

The two 1989 Philadelphia Stones shows were originally booked as one show at JFK Stadium. But the old dump was condemned over the summer of that year. The Stones did two shows across the parking lot at Veterans Stadium instead, but did a dress rehearsal in empty JFK Stadium.

The FU Center (or whatever it's called these days) is on the land where JFK was.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-22 11:26 by ab.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: April 22, 2020 11:38

They killed Satisfaction that day.

Date: April 22, 2020 13:16

HonkeyTonkFlash
Palace Revolution 2000

I was there and you can find the setlist on setlist.fm. Without looking it up, I'm pretty sure Satisfaction came as kind of a surprise about midway through the gig.
It was my first Stones show, and everything was like a rush. And I don't say this to sound funny, but I had done a lot of drugs too. But it always stuck out to me that "Satisfaction" was a big deal that day. But I don't feel like the SG tracks were not well received. Everyone knew the album well already.All night in the parking lot before it was only SG tracks playing. I recall that 'Imagination" was incredible.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: April 22, 2020 14:56

It was my first Stones show. Can't remember the details, but I was hooked from that moment on.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 22, 2020 15:19

falo01
They killed Satisfaction that day.

Here's the recording of that day's performance of "Satisfaction." Sounds kinda Punk.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 22, 2020 15:25

Palace Revolution 2000

It was my first Stones show, and everything was like a rush. And I don't say this to sound funny, but I had done a lot of drugs too. But it always stuck out to me that "Satisfaction" was a big deal that day. But I don't feel like the SG tracks were not well received. Everyone knew the album well already.All night in the parking lot before it was only SG tracks playing. I recall that 'Imagination" was incredible.

My recollection is that "Miss You," which had been released as a single 3 or 4 weeks earlier, was familiar to the crowd and was well received. But the album had been in stores for only a matter of days at that point. Most of the crowd didn't know the songs, though I guess anyone who bought "Miss You" would also have been familiar with its B-side, "Far Away Eyes."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-22 15:26 by tatters.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: April 22, 2020 15:43

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 22, 2020 16:12

JFK was the first stadium show of the tour. I was there, one week out of high school. 90,000 people, many of whom were drinking and drugging all night in the parking lot, were also there. It rained in the morning, and there was a horrible crush at the gates when they opened. The natives were restless after Tosh and Ferner and a 90-minute break.

Some Girls was released only the previous week. Instead of placating the mob with the familiar, the Stones hit this mob with at one point with six in a row from a brand new album, seven in an eight song stretch. People did not recognize all the new songs yet, or at least the new songs had yet to become hard-wired into the collective DNA. So there was some head-scratching by about the fifth Some Girls song in a row. Yeah, they were playing well enough, but it was asking a lot of a stadium crowd to take in that much new material in a batch.

Under the circumstances, it would have been wise to break up the Some Girls block and mix the older songs in throughout the set, instead of using the older songs as bookend blocks at the beginning and end of the set.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-22 18:56 by ab.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 22, 2020 18:47

backstreetboy1
every show this tour had 90 minute setlist..i do not know what people are talking about.

Worst tour ever by The Stones. 81 was close

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1310
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home