Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT-Vanishing Point
Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: May 1, 2007 23:40

I just got this movie yesterday and watched it for the first time, the chase scenes are amazing, this is a true cult classic. I need to get Bullit next, which I have not seen yet.

Re: OT-Vanishing Point
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 1, 2007 23:44

I love the naked girl on the motorcycle. The rest of the movie is pretty good too.

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: May 1, 2007 23:46

Check out the song Vanishing Point by the mighty Primal Scream, great video too, featuring footage from the film.

Date: May 1, 2007 23:46

Naked girls rock

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: May 2, 2007 00:36

Aaaah I just love that Challenger in that movie. I read an article on the car many years back. They used several cars during filming, most of them being small block 318 cid cars and one big block car with 440 cid engine. The big block was used for high speed filming only.
The funny thing is the last scene where the car is crashing into the bulldozers. They used a Chevy Camaro for the crash...... hahaha, just junk the chevy's and save the good ol Mopars, yeeeaah

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: May 2, 2007 03:06

I remeber it was a big deal to have nudity in a movie back when it first came out......to my disappointment my parents wouldn't let me see it.

That car was recently immortalized in the Tarantino movie Grindhouse.....did anyone else see this cinematic gem?......it lasted at my local movie theater for exactly one week....then went to the local budget ($2.00) theater for another week....now it's gone........look for it on DVD I guess

Date: May 2, 2007 03:09

Lukester Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remeber it was a big deal to have nudity in a
> movie back when it first came out......to my
> disappointment my parents wouldn't let me see it.
>
> That car was recently immortalized in the
> Tarantino movie Grindhouse.....did anyone else see
> this cinematic gem?......it lasted at my local
> movie theater for exactly one week....then went to
> the local budget ($2.00) theater for another
> week....now it's gone........look for it on DVD I
> guess

I saw Grindhouse went it came out and have a bootleg copy

Posted by: Jed Clever ()
Date: May 2, 2007 08:00

Great movie, but the alleged engine setup on the Challenger is B.S. Ever seen a pumped up 440 on a Challenger or 'Cuda? The blower and carb(s) sit at least a foot higher than stock hood height. Impossible to hide.

Another great Mopar movie: Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry, with Pete Fonda. The star is a super hot Charger, which of course gets totaled and they all die...

P.S. The car in Mad Max is also total B.S. You CANNOT have a blower that turns off and on. It is always engaged via a belt. The vanes MUST be turning for air to enter the intake manifold.

Posted by: R ()
Date: May 2, 2007 13:49

Jed Clever Wrote:
> Great movie, but the alleged engine setup on the
> Challenger is B.S. Ever seen a pumped up 440 on a
> Challenger or 'Cuda? The blower and carb(s) sit
> at least a foot higher than stock hood height.
> Impossible to hide.
>
> Another great Mopar movie: Dirty Mary and Crazy
> Larry, with Pete Fonda. The star is a super hot
> Charger, which of course gets totaled and they all
> die...
>
> P.S. The car in Mad Max is also total B.S. You
> CANNOT have a blower that turns off and on. It is
> always engaged via a belt. The vanes MUST be
> turning for air to enter the intake manifold.

You could buy that car with a stock 440/4-barrel in 1970. The stock set-up is what's portrayed in the film. I don't recall a blower.

I've owned three Challengers in my life including a drop-dead gorgeous, red-over-black, small-block Rallye with matching tongue sticker in the rear window. It's in my garage as I write this and I'm looking forward to a sunny day here today. "Vanishing Point" and "Sticky Fingers" came out at roughly the same time and permanently effected my fourteen year old mind.

Posted by: short&curlies ()
Date: May 2, 2007 14:12

Vanishing Point and Two Lane Blacktop was the best double-feature ever at the drive-in in the 70's.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: May 2, 2007 15:52

CrazyDadda Wrote:
> I need to get Bullit next,
> which I have not seen yet.

Being an ex San FRancisco cabdriver...I've jumped those hills many a time...There are video's all over this world from Tourists w/cameras that were in my cab. LOL

It starts off in Potrero Hill....but the good parts are on Taylor and/or Jones between Vallejo and Filbert. The Russian Hill section...a stones throw from North Beach.

Posted by: tattoojack ()
Date: May 2, 2007 20:01

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 2, 2007 21:18

Jed Clever Wrote:
Another great Mopar movie: Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry, with Pete Fonda. The star is a super hot Charger, which of course gets totaled and they all die...

My old boyfriend had one of these cars that looked like this, it was pretty cool car to have (this is about '83/'84).

I remember driving down the street one day, and this guy pulls up next to us with his arm in the arm in salute fashion and yells "MOPAR RULES". I thought it sounded like a bonehead thing to say, but my boyfriend got a boner everytime he thought about it.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: Jed Clever ()
Date: May 3, 2007 06:58

R Wrote:
> Jed Clever Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Great movie, but the alleged engine setup on
> the
> > Challenger is B.S. Ever seen a pumped up 440 on
> a
> > Challenger or 'Cuda? The blower and carb(s)
> sit
> > at least a foot higher than stock hood height.
> > Impossible to hide.
> >
> > Another great Mopar movie: Dirty Mary and Crazy
> > Larry, with Pete Fonda. The star is a super hot
> > Charger, which of course gets totaled and they
> all
> > die...
> >
> > P.S. The car in Mad Max is also total B.S.
> You
> > CANNOT have a blower that turns off and on. It
> is
> > always engaged via a belt. The vanes MUST be
> > turning for air to enter the intake manifold.
>
>
> You could buy that car with a stock 440/4-barrel
> in 1970. The stock set-up is what's portrayed in
> the film. I don't recall a blower.
>
> I've owned three Challengers in my life including
> a drop-dead gorgeous, red-over-black, small-block
> Rallye with matching tongue sticker in the rear
> window. It's in my garage as I write this and I'm
> looking forward to a sunny day here today.
> "Vanishing Point" and "Sticky Fingers" came out at
> roughly the same time and permanently effected my
> fourteen year old mind.

Maybe I'm confusing it with another film, but doesn't the delivery broker tell Kowalski that he 440 is blown at the begining?

I love Challengers and 'Cudas. Is yours the excellent 340 motor?

My current ride is a restored '74 Vette with the last of the 454's. Rebuilt with 10-1 compression, Edlebrock intake, Holly 750 carb, Hooker headers going through 2 1/2 inch pipes, Thrush mufflers, Muncie M-22 4 speed, 3.55 rear end. Totally stock looking with ralley rims, Classic white paint on black leather, T- tops. Extremely fast, catches scatch all through third gear.

Posted by: R ()
Date: May 4, 2007 02:41

>
>
> Maybe I'm confusing it with another film, but
> doesn't the delivery broker tell Kowalski that he
> 440 is blown at the begining?
>
> I love Challengers and 'Cudas. Is yours the
> excellent 340 motor?
>

He may have said it in the film ut the set-up they showed was a stock 440, perhaps with a 6bbl carb.

Mine is the original 318, rebuilt and souped up a tad with a Edelbrock 4bbl and manifold, headers and a mild cam upgrade. My car is a '74 as well, one of the very last built and not a "desirable" muscle car in the investment sense. It's a daily driver in the summer, looks, performs and sounds great.

My neighbor across the street has your car in black but his is a mess.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: May 4, 2007 03:34

I saw Grindhouse when it came out. Such a great flick. Tons of fun, tongue n cheek humor, amazing action and the style is just fantastic. Since then I've been meaning to checkout Vanishing Point. I guess now is as good a time as any.

-Drake

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: May 4, 2007 04:13

Grindhouse was indeed great, Drake.......pus filled genitalia and all...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 4, 2007 04:13

Hey, drake, happy Derby Day.

Saw Vanishing Point in 1972 at age 11 - loved fast cars and fast women ever since.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: August 30, 2020 19:56

I saw this movie two or three times in the Seventies in the East-German town of Sebnitz there my two grand mothers lived. Besides rock music this movie especially teached me what freedom means. Today I have Vanishing Point on Blu ray and watching it one time every year around Christmas. A real milestone in my life. By the way, the major actor's surname is JAGGER, Dean Jagger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-30 19:58 by child-of-the-moon.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: August 30, 2020 20:04

Great movie. The Hippie Rock Festival scene in Death Valley with the Jesus Freaks is memorable. That’s Delaney & Bonnie and Friends ripping it up. Future Little Feat percussionist/vocalist Sam Clayton and bassist Kenny Gradney are in the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-30 20:05 by Javadave.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: August 31, 2020 17:31

The Challenger in tandem with the naked girl and even a little bit of Delaney & Bonnie (prior to their UK journey) was enough to set this poor boy (then aged fourteen) on the bad road to rock and roll oblivion. I've now owned three original era Challengers, this being my 23rd summer with the latest. I have a couple Delaney & Bonnie albums...

...I didn't realize that was Kenny Gradney and Sam Clayton!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-31 17:32 by rbk.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 31, 2020 18:21

An old thread resurfaced (this was created in 2007..!).
Vanishing Point — the last breath of the so-called New Hollywood movies (we called them the ‘American New Cinema’ in Japan), starting with Bonnie And Clyde and culminating with Midnight Cowboy, Easy Rider, Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, Five Easy Pieces etc. Even The Graduate can be included in the category. Many had something in common between them, in that the protagonists rebel against the establishment and eventually die (or are killed) in some of them. And this one is no exception. There was the Vietnam War. Racial riots. Students protests. I saw it in Summer 1971. Felt what was going on across the Pacific. From Denver to San Fransisco. And I Remember Kowalsky’s recollection in which his girlfriend leaves him, saying just one word in Japanese, “Sayonara”.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: August 31, 2020 19:26

We just watched David Cronenberg's 1979 racing movie Fast Company. Quite enjoyable, and you can feel the power of those motors. Barely controlled explosions.

Date: August 31, 2020 19:49

For all nostalgias and Vanishing Point lovers out there, the white 1970 Challenger is available as a model car in scale 1/24. In pure white and even in a dirty car paint. Kowalsky drives on …

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 31, 2020 20:12

There goes the Challenger being chased
By the blue blue meanies on wheels
The vicious traffic squad cars are
After our lone driver
The last American hero
The the electric sitar
The demi-god
The super driver of the golden west!
Two nasty nazi cars are close behind
The beautiful lone driver
The police cars are getting closer-closer
Closer to our soul hero in his soul mobile yeah baby!
They about to strike, they gonna get him, smash! rape!
The last beautiful free soul on this planet

Date: August 31, 2020 20:35

Paddy
There goes the Challenger being chased
By the blue blue meanies on wheels
The vicious traffic squad cars are
After our lone driver
The last American hero
The the electric sitar
The demi-god
The super driver of the golden west!
Two nasty nazi cars are close behind
The beautiful lone driver
The police cars are getting closer-closer
Closer to our soul hero in his soul mobile yeah baby!
They about to strike, they gonna get him, smash! rape!
The last beautiful free soul on this planet

Posted by: exil ()
Date: August 31, 2020 23:18

Loved That Movie.

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: October 8, 2020 20:01

if you like the 1970 dodge Challenger 440,there is a guy on youtube his site is called Nicks Garage,he built from the frame up the same car.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: October 9, 2020 04:48

Saw this flick the drive in a couple of times. It was a bit of a party there and we were distracted but I remember being fascinated by this flick. Though I never figured out why the "hero" was racing across the country. Much less why a black DJ was talking to him through the radio. Maybe I'll go look up the plot line on Wikipedia.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1565
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home