Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT -The Future of Rock
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 17, 2007 17:03

It is a geberic title, I know. I was reading about this theory that says that whenever there is no Rock that rules, then Pop steps in to fill the void. Oasis capped off the Stone Roses, Nirvana run, then was done, and immeditaely the glittery popsters who'd been waiting in the wings climbed in the ring to take over the charts.
In the US, GnR and Jane's Addiction, Faith no More really promised a lot. They al;l fizzled out and look at the USA charts. They are unrecogizable.
Will there be some big rockbands again? Is there a new twist on the formula left? Robert Randolph, Dave Matthews are trying new instruments.
Kaiser Chiefs, Kins of Leon, Kasabian, Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys are great new bands. Do they have lasting power?

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-17 17:04 by ChelseaDrugstore.

Re: OT -The Future of Rock
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: April 17, 2007 17:06

The future of The Rolling Stones?

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 17, 2007 17:08

I don't know if they have lasting power, but at least there are some cool bands out there again smiling smiley I quite dig the Kings of Leon and the Kaiser Chiefs. I only got one Robert Randolph album, has he released a second one already?

Date: April 17, 2007 17:13

No 1962, I was more wondering about the whole big picture. The Stones, like it or not, are going to wrap it up fairly soon. And -I say this with all respect - they really don't matter anymore. In a political sense. Stylistically. Not that it matters, but truth is we are the only ones who care what they do, and take it sreiously.
So that got me thinking about the charts. And what is "big" at the moment. Other bands have come and rocked hard. Thinkiong about if this still flies.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: April 17, 2007 17:18

It's funny, I think it's a lot harder for a good band to have lasting power these days. Some of the groups you mentioned have really impressed me lately, and I think those groups would have lasting power if the 'album' was the entity it used to be, if the market had a longer attention span, etc. Let's just hope these newer bands continue to make music despite perhaps not making it as big as they would have in the 70's.

We always need new artists. There seemed to be a 'law of diminishing returns' in effect for a while, i.e., Beatles and Stones and LZep begat groups that were sorta not as good, and those groups begat other groups that were even less appealing, etc, but I think that process pretty much bottomed out in the early nineties when all those pop and pop-metal bands faded into the retro club scene where they lurk today. Now we've got some newer bands actually producing really good stuff (Kings of Leon are great! Then there's Jack White's various projects, Wilco, the Yeah Yeah Yeah's latest album is great, and lesser known groups as well). I love to go to Border's and just scan in cd after cd of newer groups I have only heard OF, but haven't heard, to see who is fluff and who is the real thing. I am delighted to report there are a lot of good new artists out there.

It's about time!

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 17, 2007 17:18

Oh, and Franz Ferdinand - you forget them, or do they not count as Rock?
They are cool - I also like their motto "making music that girls can dance to" grinning smiley

Date: April 17, 2007 17:31

Tate, that is a great point about the "begat" bands. I always tie that in with the whole R&B roots. What is fresh in newer bands; especially British bands is that they have no roots in the Blues. So the sounds are new. It creates this angular, more stern kind of sound. IMO it presnets a challenge because I find it harder to get melodic or sweet in that kind of atmosphere. The Arctic Monkeys are jarred and sharp.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: April 17, 2007 18:41

I think that The Arcade Fire is the real thing today.Their music sounds as timeless as anything released by the rock heroes form sixties and seventies.The Stones themesleves haven't released anything as great as The Arcade Fire's Funeral since Exile on the main street.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 17, 2007 18:49

I believe the future of rock rests in the ends of Jet, Wolfmother, and the Crowes reuniting for good.

Date: April 17, 2007 18:50

I believe the future of rock rests in the hands of Jet, Wolfmother, and the Crowes reuniting for good.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 17, 2007 19:01

Isn't the main issue that music itself isn't so big these days ?
Consol and PC games are the Rock N Roll for many of today's younger generation.

Date: April 17, 2007 19:05

Yep,Spud, rock and roll lost its initial value.It seems to be kind of stale nowadays.I guess that back in the sixties it all sounded very fresh and exciting.Nowadays there are zillions of artists rehashing the same old stuff over and over again.Not many acts are original enough.

Date: April 17, 2007 19:20

Rock is Dead. The dearth of original acts killed it. However, it lives forever and hopefully in a remastered form.

Date: April 17, 2007 20:07

No,rock is not dead as long as there are artists like The Arcade Fire or Wilco.Rock is not dead,it is just going through constant changes.

Date: April 17, 2007 20:11

Or maybe it just smells funny. Those bands you mentioned will not light a fire under the genre.

Posted by: RollingStoner ()
Date: April 17, 2007 20:49

I'd put my money in the White Stripes being one of the frontrunners in Rock for the forseeable future.

Date: April 17, 2007 20:58

What is this Rock thing then?
Does it morph with the times so that it can always survive?
Or does it stay the same and therefore will one day die?

Will the new bands re-define what Rock is?
Or will one day the bands who know how to rock run out?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 17, 2007 21:09

There is only one ok r & r band left.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: April 17, 2007 21:23

Opinions will vary as to what bands are worthy to carry the torch since tastes vary from person to person, but to me the only two post 1990 bands that have have been consistently great as far as quality of music/songwriting are Green Day and Counting Crows. I'm still scratching my head as to why the Crows have fallen from grace. Their studio album sales have plummeted steadily since their debut album sold four million copies.

I also think "The Fray" shows some promise but it's easy to have one good album these days. The problem with these newer groups is consistency.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-17 21:25 by FrankM.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 17, 2007 21:31

Headed to the same place that Blues currently is. An out of date music form still practiced by many "live" but not much success with recordings.

I blame the 3 headed monster of MTV (made everything visual instead of musical), rap (sucks in general), and Cobain (see rap comment).

I like living in the past. Childhood living is easy to do .....

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: April 17, 2007 21:40

For the record........I was referring to the Black Crowes, NOT Counting Crows!!

Date: April 17, 2007 22:45

Whew! Thank you VoodooL. Counting Crows are one annoying band.
Don't think the Black Crowes have fallen from grace. I think they themselves have turned it down a bit. They are determined to go and play by their own rules. Even if the supposed bigtime has to suffer a bit.

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: April 17, 2007 23:06

This thread should be changed to "Is the future of MAINSTREAM rock dead". Rock and roll is in fine form in the underground and as others have said, there are some really cool new band in the mainstream right now. But Rock and roll has always been here...throughout any decade, when things turned a bit sour, look to the lesser known artists who are still keeping it alive.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 18, 2007 00:20

Sad thing is, young dudes (under 35 :-D), dont naturally listen to rock.
The 80s destroyed it almost completely; rock as a life style
& given thing for the youth.

But, as been said by me & others before in a thread on rap & hiphop,
those genres carries much the same attitude that rock once did.

We cant rely on geriatric neverending resurrections of 60-65 (and up)
year olds.

..And one can always listen to opera... Underestimated art form.

Rock 'n roll can never die BTW.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 18, 2007 00:22

The Future of Rock

Dont panic guys I'm fine and living in sin.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: April 18, 2007 00:29

What does OT mean in front of threads?

Date: April 18, 2007 00:33

Well to each his own but in my opinion Counting Crows are much better than The Black Crowes- and like I said they are one of the few post 1990 bands that have been consistent as far as quality of music.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-18 00:34 by FrankM.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 18, 2007 00:36

Niklas

OT:........Off Topic

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: April 18, 2007 00:38

Thanx, although I'm not sure what that means... :-)

Date: April 18, 2007 00:42

Means it doesn't directly relate to The Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-18 00:43 by FrankM.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home