Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT: DJ Don Imus let go by CBS Radio/MSNBC TV - What's Your Opinion?
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: April 12, 2007 23:57

Look's like DJ/Talk Show Host Imus is TOTALLY out of work as of today - news came in 15 minutes ago - for his "in bad taste" remarks last week. I'm not crazy about the guy but he did turn me on to Lucinda Williams - he seems very depressed, hope he doesn't do anything drastic (like suicide). What's your opinion on the situation? Does he deserve to loose his Radio Show and MSNBC TV Show? Those who have pay radio was wondering what Howard Stern is saying about all this?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-13 03:49 by HelterSkelter.

Re: OT: DJ Don Imus just let go by CBS Radio Permanently (also MSNBC earlier)
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 12, 2007 23:59

I think its ironic that he criticized Keith for his ash remarks saying "he should be put to sleep" and then one week later all this happens to him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-13 00:00 by ryanpow.

Re: OT: DJ Don Imus just let go by CBS Radio - What's Your Opinion?
Date: April 13, 2007 00:07

Did he say that about Keith? I didn't hear about that - yeah, totally ironic....not a cool thing to say, the guy is definitely in a constant cranky mood, very grumpy...

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: April 13, 2007 00:09

No loss - he wasn;t funny anyway.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: April 13, 2007 00:10

The guy has been a CREEP for years and this should have happened a long time
ago!!

MLC

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 13, 2007 00:14

HelterSkelter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did he say that about Keith? I didn't hear about
> that - yeah, totally ironic

yeah Helter, its in one of the threads on here that were started the day that Keith Interview was made public.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 13, 2007 00:34

I think it's about time, and I am tolerant but NOT when it comes to anti-feminist remarks or rascial slurs! I hope this is just the start of cleaning up tv, radio and media! The things that people find funny always amazes me! I did not even know he said that about Keith! Well all the more reason to get rid of the dork!

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: April 13, 2007 00:35

Good Riddence....now, if we can just get rid of Howard Stern....

JR

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: April 13, 2007 00:44

Hey Relics - At least Howard had Mick Taylor on his show and told him how much
he liked Mick's playing when he was in the Stones...

MLC

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: April 13, 2007 00:48

Generally, I thought he and his sidekicks were hilarious. My wife and I have been avid listeners/viewers for the last 15 years.

He really screwed up with his remarks, and he's paying the price. I believe he is genuinely regretful and sorry for hurting the Rutgers women.

I will miss his show. You couldn't force me to watch that weenie Matt Lauer if you held a gun to my head.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: April 13, 2007 00:55

I'm not an Imus fan, neither am I a fan of Howard Stern. I am a fan of The Rolling Stones. When I turn on a classic rock radio station and hear The Rolling Stones, that's a good thing.

When someone turns on Imus or Stern, they know what to expect, if they like it, they listen. If I want to hear Rolling Stones, I turn to the approriate station, if I want to hear Imus/Stern I'll turn to that station.

If one doesn't like The Stones or Imus/Stern...then turn to your station of choice.

Whatever our station of choice is or is not, we have the right to listen or not.

I'm all for free speech, be it good or bad. I like the freedom of being able to listen to whatever I want or don't want.

Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: April 13, 2007 01:03

Howard Stern worked with Imus in NY at NBC and has reported that Imus was very racist towards workers there. Stern has reported that for years and years. Howard would loved to be interviewed about that and should be. Howard was talking about these incidents back in the late 80ies and early 90ies, well just about anytime the Imus subject would come up. I got to say that what ever one might think of Stern, he doesn’t make things up about people. He just won’t go there . So goodby to Imus . It was about time for him to go anyway...

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: April 13, 2007 01:06

mickschix Wrote:
> I think it's about time, and I am tolerant but NOT
> when it comes to anti-feminist remarks or rascial
> slurs!

That's pretty funny, coming from a Stones fan.

I suppose Mick Jagger's racist lyrics on Brown Sugar or Some Girls will make you decide to get rid of your albums?

Remember the advertisement for "Black and Blue" with a woman who was beaten and hog-tied?

None of this stuff seems consistent with your beliefs, and none of this stuff would have surfaced if Mick Jagger didn't specifically approve it.

How do you reconcile the Stones' racist and sexist songs and actions with your beliefs?

Date: April 13, 2007 01:11

Bingo,as usual,a very good point.... I'm not a big Imus fan (or Stern anymore) but there's something about how heavily they're jumping on him that kind of makes me uncomfortable in a way... well. wanna see what others have to say....

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: April 13, 2007 01:15

My one and only commentary on this: I never liked Imus, but he's being lynched for uttering a phrase that you probably could've heard on comedy albums in the 60s and 70s.

Political correctness has truly gone berserk. I'll shut up now, before I offend some nappy-headed ho. I could imagine Redd Foxx saying it, but he was black, so he could have gotten away with it. I remember him saying stuff like: "There ain't nothing uglier than an old white woman".

Could Redd, Richard Pryor or Lenny Bruce exist today? I doubt it.

Posted by: gibb76 ()
Date: April 13, 2007 01:19

highanddry,

I could not agree with you more.

bassaleman

On Monday (the week he said the coment, he said the awful comment on Wednesday) he took the day off (Monday) to pick up a kid (black) in Atlanta to bring him to NY for teatment for cancer. Is that racist? No I don't think so. He deserves what he gets. The problem that I have with the whole situation is that for the last 18 years the centerpiece of his life is this telethon that is happening today and tomorrow. It raises $$$$ for many foundations. For NBC and CBS to get rid of him in the middle of the telethon is even worse that what he said. In my opinion he should be fired for what he said but the timing is just wrong. These are 2 of the 6 largiest media outlets in the world. They could have handlened it better.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: April 13, 2007 01:21

bassplayer617 Wrote:
> My one and only commentary on this: I never liked
> Imus, but he's being lynched for uttering a phrase
> that you probably could've heard on comedy albums
> in the 60s and 70s.
>
> Political correctness has truly gone berserk. I'll
> shut up now, before I offend some nappy-headed ho.
> I could imagine Redd Foxx saying it, but he was
> black, so he could have gotten away with it. I
> remember him saying stuff like: "There ain't
> nothing uglier than an old white woman".
>
> Could Redd, Richard Pryor or Lenny Bruce exist
> today? I doubt it.

Well put. Double standards on Free speech are becoming a real problem.

Posted by: gibb76 ()
Date: April 13, 2007 01:27

bassplayer617,

You are so correct.

Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: April 13, 2007 01:30

The biggest tragedy in this whole pitiful spectacle is that clowns like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton (people who have uttered their share of racist statements in the very recent past) get to decide what I listen to when I brush my teeth in the morning. I am not an Imus fan, but he has my full support on this one. As far as I am concerned, his biggest mistake was to apologize in the first place.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: April 13, 2007 01:32

A couple of questions...

Is CBS Radio going to fire program directors and DJ's that play rap music that consistantly promotes black females as "bitches" and "hos"?

Now that Imus has no platform to raise money, Are Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson going to take over financing the ranch Imus runs for children with cancer?

Ross

Posted by: Beauforde ()
Date: April 13, 2007 01:38

imus may be a grumpy skeletal arrogant moron, and what he said was neither funny nor clever, but when hypocritical reverse-racist professional-victim carpetbaggers like sharpton and rev. jesse, guys who never met a 'racist' incident they didn't exploit [see the infuriating trial of 3 innocent duke lacrosse players for the latest in this pc white-guilt madness] begin to dictate what i can listen to i draw the line, man.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 13, 2007 01:50

Ross Wrote:
> A couple of questions...
>
> Is CBS Radio going to fire program directors and
> DJ's that play rap music that consistantly
> promotes black females as "bitches" and "hos"?
>

I've never felt as strongly for a news peice such as this one. I've had enough of this problem that seems to re-occur every 2-3 months and in the same fashion: person X says an awful thing, the news hits all over the place, the backlash from the offended group, the apology from person X, the apology is all over the news, the offended group are upset with the apology and then it all dies down and it goes away.

This is what, the 3rd or 4th immensely covered racial issue on the news in the last 6 months? That's a huge sign. Much like when a child is acting out and misbehaving more--that is a sign that something needs to be fixed.

Before I get overly preachy...my point echoes what Ross said. In this case, the African American community has A LOT of work to do in order to change their image in this country. A lot of work...that in my opinion, has not even started. The ONLY reason, imho, that everyone (everyone = anyone who's not AA) make jokes or references or sterotype is because of the image that is delivered to us through all the entertainment mediums: music, movies, television and magazines. The AA community's ears perk up when someone says the wrong thing...fight it to their death and then sit right back down without every fixing it. Wrong.

In the end, if they want to crucify Imus, they HAVE to equally crucify every rapper who uses the same language. In my book... NO ONE should say the "n word." Don't matter what color you are. I've heard that they use it "affectionately." B-S. No word should be used both positively and negatively.

There must be a revolution of grand preportions of change and revision in the African American Community.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: April 13, 2007 03:00

Raoul Duke Wrote:
> The biggest tragedy in this whole pitiful
> spectacle is that clowns like Jesse Jackson and Al
> Sharpton (people who have uttered their share of
> racist statements in the very recent past) get to
> decide what I listen to when I brush my teeth in
> the morning. I am not an Imus fan, but he has my
> full support on this one. As far as I am
> concerned, his biggest mistake was to apologize in
> the first place.

I agree Raoul! Why dont those 2 nitwits go after Snoop Dog and all the other rappers who actually have influence in the black community (had ANY the Rutgers ladies even heard of Imus?). The rappers say MUCH more offensive and sexist and racist material than Imus ever has!! Thank god Mick ignored Mr Jesse when he was bitching about the Some Girls lyrics.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: April 13, 2007 03:15

DON'T AGREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this involved any other minority, etc. he would not have been fired. People are going to say things you might not agree with so... big deal. I'm Gay and I hear fag this, fag that all of the time and I'm not happy with it but so what. Again people have a right to their opinion and you can't please everyone all of the time.

LIGHTEN UP AL !!!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 13, 2007 03:24

I am not fan at all of his show...
But I wonder would a black radio commentator been fired if he/she said exactly the same thing? Or would it been taken as a joke, like the way Chris Rock throws the N word around?

Free speech is always the safest side to fall on...you always have the choice to tune out.

Posted by: chris girard ()
Date: April 13, 2007 03:29

I never thought he was funny, just a mean son of bitch. I don't care if he's gone, no loss to me. I am a little worried that we seem to be getting very close to censorship here.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 13, 2007 03:32

First of all. HS,I am glad you brought this up. Good points made by a lot of people on this thread. Espicially,Helter Skelter,Bingo and Raoul Duke. I have listened to Imus on and off over the years. I was the one who heard him say and posted it here,the comment about putting Keith Richards to sleep. Allright just another stupid comment by him. But you know what your getting when you listen to that kind of show. It's a COMEDY show. You might not find it funny,you might find it offensive. DON"T LISTEN. What he said was stupid. Espicially since it was his producer who first brought it up. But the political correctness in this country is out of control. On one recent network newscast,7 mins. of a 22 minute broadcast was dedicated to Imus. Hello,what about the wars in Irag and Afghanistan? What about 100 other important news stories. Again like Raoul Duke said,the fact that Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson lead this charge is the hight of hypocrisy!!...............End of sermon..... Go ahead and hammer me now.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 13, 2007 03:34

What's this?
An all american thread?
Who the @#$%& is DJ Don Imus?

Date: April 13, 2007 03:39

I must agree with custom55 in that when gays get bashed on some kind of talk show or sitcom it seems to get a pass, same with the way Arabs/Muslims are now getting bashed and The French were a few years ago - it's EVERY group or nobody IMHO - can't just be one or two. Someone up there brought up the fact that now that Imus no longer will be getting a paycheck who's gonna cover all the expenses for his Children with Cancer camp in New Mexico? Maybe instead of having him loose his job they should have asked him if he'd put 10% of his income into a school for disadvantaged minorities in the New York City area, something positive like that that would help the community, now all there is is bitterness and accusations but members of the community that could have been helped aren't gonna get any type of help at all..... too many EMOTIONS and not enough coolhead THINKING IMHO....

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 13, 2007 03:40

I haven't heard the financial aspect of this situation discussed. Money talks and Imus was fired after advertisers were bugging out left and right.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1627
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home