Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
"Brand New Car": Yes, I Like It
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: April 2, 2007 02:58

This song has a sense of humor about car fetish that definitely qualifies it as one of the band's quirkier songs. I love Keith's bass on the studio version, and there's a killer live version of it from the '99 Shepard's Bush show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-02 03:00 by bassplayer617.

Re: "Brand New Car": Yes, I Like It
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 2, 2007 03:00

One of my favorites off of VL. Never understood why it gets such a bad rap on here. Now there's two of us.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: April 2, 2007 03:05

Have a drink on me, Elmo. Auto-eroticism taken quite literally LOL.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 2, 2007 03:09

Make me three! I like it as well.

Date: April 2, 2007 03:15

"touch her on the seat, go on feel the fur" - I like that line.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 2, 2007 03:28

Give her some stick

Push her too far

Right to the brink

Date: April 2, 2007 03:36

BRAND NEW CAR
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)

I got a brand new car
And I like to drive real hard
I got a brand new car
And I'm feeling good so far

Take her on the highway for a little spin
I want to see the kind of shape she's in
And I got a brand new star
Jack her up baby, go on, open the hood
I want to check if her oil smells good
Mmmm...smells like caviar

Give her some stick
Push her too far
Right to the brink

Hear the motor running
Yeah, she's right in sink
Tell me if she's thirsty
Would she like a drink
And I'm stopping at this bar

Slinky like a panther
You can hear her purr
Touch her on the seat
Go on, feel the fur

Feel the juice
Foot to the floor
Take some abuse

I got a brand new car
And I drive her in the dark
And I got a brand new car
I think I'll stop and park

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 2, 2007 03:39

What kind of bad fan am I? I actually don't think I've ever heard this song.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: April 2, 2007 03:42

sweetcharmedlife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What kind of bad fan am I? I actually don't think
> I've ever heard this song.

"Voodoo Lounge", track 9.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: April 2, 2007 04:02

i like the duet version on the voodoo lounge tapes brew/stew thing , wish that cut had made it on to the album! I also like gunface - mock to your hearts content!

OLDKR

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 2, 2007 04:13

Yeah Brand New Car.......Lurv it...Stones twist on the blues...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: April 2, 2007 04:30

bassplayer617 Wrote:
> Have a drink on me, Elmo. Auto-eroticism taken
> quite literally LOL.

Hmmmm...I've always seen it in the "old light" of the blues where a car was often a metaphor for a woman....even in this day some women have "fur" ;-)

But other than that - yeah, a great song. For a while it was my favorite song on VL - and VL is still in my top 5 - especially the "alternative" version before all the studio gloss.

There aren't really that many Stones songs that I don't like. Some songs I might play on a more regular basis, but somewhere in there, they always have that old Stones magick working for them somehow....

Posted by: voodoocat ()
Date: April 2, 2007 06:31

I almost fell of the chair when I heard these lyrics the first time. Great blues metaphor and innuendo in the tradition of King Bee, Little Red Rooster, Brown Sugar and others. Not very subtle but very funny. I wonder if the Chinese censors would ban this one? I really like charlie's playing on this- super crisp but it really swings.

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: April 2, 2007 07:01

sweetcharmedlife Wrote:
> What kind of bad fan am I? I actually don't think
> I've ever heard this song.

you're not missing anything.winking smiley

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: April 2, 2007 11:25

i never liked it and i guess i´ll will...songs about cars and the car-woman methaper are not to my liking....
@oldkr: i like gunface too, great song, among my favourits on B2B...

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 2, 2007 12:13

This song owes a bit to Marc Bolan of T.Rex fame with all the car references eg, the song Bang A Gong:

You're built like a car
You got a hubcap diamond star halo

Many other songs about cars as well.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 2, 2007 13:41

Love it. Great riff.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: April 2, 2007 13:55

The way Mick sings it, and the bass of Keith, BRILLIANT!

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: April 2, 2007 16:30

Love it, great bluesy song. Many people here don't like it for some reason. But to me this is one of their better more recent songs. Same with Gunface.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 2, 2007 17:15

I love Brand New Car, and I've always thought it was a metaphor for a woman as previously stated. Now as for Gunface, well that's another issue. Always thought that was a waste on B2B and should have been swapped out for Anyway You Look At It.

Posted by: JaggerFan ()
Date: April 2, 2007 21:12

Zeppelin did auto-eroticsm first, and Better.

Greased and slicked down body, groovy leather trim
I like the way you hold the road, mama, it ain't no sin

Trouble-free transmission, helps your oil's flow
Mama, let me pump your gas, mama, let me do it all

Dig that heavy metal underneath your hood
Baby, I could work all night, believe I've got the perfect tools

A model built for comfort, really built with style
Special list edition, mama, let me feast my eyes

Factory air-conditioned, heat begins to rise
Guaranteed to run for hours, mama it's a perfect size

Groovin' on the freeway, gauge is on the red
Gun down on my gasoline, I believe I'm gonna crack a head.

Talkin' 'bout love
I can't stop talkin' about...

Come to me for service every hundred miles
Baby, let me check your points, fix your overdrive

Fully automatic, comes in any size
Makes me wonder what I did, before we synchronized

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Oh, I can't stop talkin' about love.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 2, 2007 21:52

Yes, I like the song as well. It's one of the best on VL.

Date: April 2, 2007 22:20

Another good "car" song - "Dirty World" by Travelling Wilburys.... Thanks alot, Bob!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: April 3, 2007 02:13

All these car/woman songs are driving me wild. Excuse me while I go in my car & pleasure myself.....

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: April 3, 2007 02:24

Used to hate it, but I've grown to tolerate it. Some of the worst lyrics the Stones have ever written. The lyrical metaphors are so obvious and dumb that you wish they were never there.

Posted by: sweetladyjane ()
Date: April 3, 2007 02:32

Oh that's a sexy, catchy tune that is one of my favorites from Voodoo. It's anything but subtle, which is what makes it so much fun!

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 3, 2007 02:44

Take her on the highway for a little spin
I want to see the kind of shape she's in
Jack her up baby, go on, open the hood
I want to check if her oil smells good
Mmmm...smells like caviar

Give her some stick
Push her too far
Right to the brink

Hear the motor running
Yeah, she's right in synch
Tell me if she's thirsty
Would she like a drink
And I'm stopping at this bar

Slinky like a panther
You can hear her purr
Touch her on the seat
Go on, feel the fur

Feel the juice
Foot to the floor
Take some abuse

I got a brand new car

(courtesy ze glims)

...Spread out the oil, the gasoline
I walk smooth, ride in a mean, mean machine
Start it up

If you start it up
Kick on the starter give it all you got, you got, you got
I can't compete with the riders in the other heats
If you rough it up
If you like it you can slide it up, slide it up

Don't make a grown man cry
My eyes dilate, my lips go green
My hands are greasy
She's a mean, mean machine
Start it up...

(courtesy ze glims)

As I was motivatin' over the hill
I saw Maybelline in a coup de ville
A Cadillac a-rollin' on the open road
Nothin' will outrun my V8 Ford
The cadillac doin' 'bout ninety-five
She's bumper to bumber rollin' side by side

Maybelline, why can't you be true?

Pink in the mirror on top of the hill
It's just like swallowin' up a medicine pill
First thing I saw that Cadillac grille
Doin' a hundred and ten gallopin' over that hill
Offhill curve, a downhill stretch
Me and that Cadillac neck by neck

The Cadillac pulled up ahead of the Ford
The Ford got hot and wouldn't do no more
It then got cloudy and it started to rain
I tooted my horn for a passin' lane
The rain water blowin' all under my hood
I knew that was doin' my motor good

The motor cooled down, the heat went down
And that's when I heard that highway sound
The Cadillac a-sittin' like a ton of lead
A hundred and ten a half a mile ahead
The Cadillac lookin' like it's sittin' still
And I caught Maybelline at the top of the hill...

(courtesy chuck)
(Im gonna try 2 tame your little red love machine)

Little red corvette
Baby youre much 2 fast
Little red corvette
U need 2 find a love thats gonna last

Little red corvette
Honey u got 2 slow down (got 2 slow down)
Little red corvette
cuz if u dont u gonna run your
Little red corvette right in the ground

(little red corvette)
Right down 2 the ground (honey u got 2 slow down)
U, u, u got 2 slow down (little red corvette)
Youre movin much 2 fast (2 fast)
U need 2 find a love thats gonna last

Girl, u got an ass like I never seen
And the ride...
I say the ride is so smooth
U must be a limousine

(courtesy purple)

10 car songs that hit on all cylinders

"Mindful of America’s long love affair with home-grown automobiles, here is a list of 10 songs that pay homage to a particular type of domestic car. American cars may no longer be No. 1 in their own country, but the songs they inspire can still be No. 1 in our hearts:

‘Mustang Sally’
The Mustang has been a symbol of speed among American motorists for many years, helped along some by Steve McQueen’s car chase through the streets of San Francisco in a GT 390 Fastback in the 1968 film “Bullitt.” But in 1966, Wilson Pickett scored a hit with this R&B rocker about a young lady who would be well-advised to slow down, because she’s moving just a bit too fast. It was written by Bonny Rice, a member of the Falcons of the early ‘60s, a group with whom Pickett spent some time. In fact, Rice recorded it first as Sir Mack Rice, then Pickett covered it about a year later. Rice’s version actually did better on the charts, but it has since become known as a Pickett anthem. “You’ve been riding all over town, ooh, guess you gotta put your flat feet on the ground.” Ride, Sally, ride.

‘Little Deuce Coupe’
Drag racing, while illegal in many parts, is nonetheless an American tradition. The Beach Boys paid tribute to it in this buoyant ode to a ’32 Ford with a big V8 that is custom made to blow the doors off gear-headed rivals. Brian Wilson co-wrote this with a disc jockey named Roger Christian, who was heavily into cars. And it shows: There are references to a “flat head mill” and “competition clutch” that only a grease monkey could fully appreciate. Also, there’s the suggestion the little deuce coupe can do 140 mph, the kind of exaggeration that’s only allowed in art, although it may very well be true when it claims, “I got the pink slip, Daddy.” The song reached No. 15 on the U.S. pop charts in 1963 and has outlived most of the ’32 Fords it rhapsodizes about.

‘Little Red Corvette’
Prince began his climb to the top of the pop charts in 1983 with this single from the “1999” album, which initially did so-so business until “Little Red Corvette” soared to No. 6. Like most of Prince’s songs, sex is a central theme. In this case, he makes references to “a pocket full of horses, Trojans” and “I felt a little ill when I saw the pictures of all the jockeys that had been there before me.” The exact connection with the Corvette is a little hazy, other than the suggestion that the woman he’s singing about is a little too fast for him. Chevrolet put up a billboard in 2001 with a picture of a red 1963 Corvette Sting Ray and the caption, “They don’t write songs about Volvos.”

‘Pink Cadillac’
Bruce Springsteen grew up in New Jersey in the midst of a near-fanatical car culture. References to autos are rampant in his music, like “chrome-wheeled, fuel-injected and steppin’ out over the line” from “Born to Run,” for instance. “Pink Cadillac” was released in 1984 as the B-side of “Dancing in the Dark,” but did not appear on an album until 1998’s “Tracks.” Like Prince, Bruce sprinkled in a liberal amount of sexual innuendo, including: “My love is bigger than a Honda, yeah, it’s bigger than a Subaru.” Just imagine the shock and outrage if Bruce’s Pink Cadillac ever crashed head-on into Prince’s Little Red Corvette!

‘Hot Rod Lincoln’
Most people know the version by the country/rockabilly band Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen, which was released early in 1972 and rose to No. 9 on the pop charts and No. 51 on the country charts. One of the more famous lines goes like this: “My pappy said, ‘Son, you’re gonna drive me to drinkin’, if you don’t stop driving that Hot Rod Lincoln.” But that was a slight modification of a version that was recorded much earlier, in 1955, by a band called Charlie Ryan & the Timberline Riders. Ryan wrote the song about his own 12-cylinder hot rod Lincoln and a road race he embarked on that began in Lewiston, Idaho. It is unclear whether his exploits behind the wheel actually drove his pappy to drinking.

"409"
No, this isn’t a paean to a popular household cleaner but rather to a Chevrolet 409, which contained a 409-cubic-inch engine that could be modified by racers to generate more than 400 horsepower. The Beach Boys recorded “409” in 1962, and it was released as the B-side of “Surfin’ Safari.” Most of the lyrics are fairly simple and repetitive, such as “giddy up 409” and “She’s real fine my 409.” But the Boys did throw in one reference to “my four-speed dual quad posi-traction 409” just in case any actual mechanics were paying attention. As you might have guessed, the Beach Boys were infatuated with girls, cars and the beach, often in the same song.

‘G.T.O.’
Ronny and the Daytonas came out of Nashville with dreams of mimicking the Beach Boys’ sound. Alas, they had mixed success. “G.T.O.,” penned by John Wilkin, was released shortly after the car itself and reached No. 4 on the charts in 1964. And while the artists themselves didn’t have staying power, they did hammer at the car theme with other songs like “Antique ’32 Studebaker Dictator Coupe.” Like the Beach Boys, there are a couple of technical mentions, such as, “three deuces and a four-speed and a 389” and “this little modified Pon Pon has got plenty of style.” And the chorus was dutifully memorable, repeating “Wa wa” and “Yeah, yeah, little G.T.O.” While Ronny and the Daytonas, a group of session musicians, didn’t have a long career together, they did sell more than a million singles of this song as well as a half-million albums.

‘Coupe de Ville’
Whereas many other songs about American cars celebrate the raw power and unique stylings, this Neil Young composition uses the Cadillac Coupe De Ville in a more melancholy way. In fact, he only mentions the car once, in the opening line: “I got a Coupe De Ville, I got a bed in the house where you once lived.” The car here is a symbol of what little he has left after a broken relationship. He goes on to say, “If I can’t have you, I don’t want nothing else.” The song was released in 1988, so Young had no idea that the Coupe De Ville, which was introduced in 1949, would be discontinued in 1993. But maybe he chose it because he sensed it was on its way out, just like the character in the song is with his woman.
‘Rocket 88’
Because rock ’n’ roll has had lots of influences leading up to the ‘50s, several have laid claim to being the “first rock ’n’ roll song,” and the argument still rages today. Legendary producer Sam Phillips claimed it was “Rocket 88,” which was written by Ike Turner and credited to a group called Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats, which wasn’t an actual band. It was Turner in 1951 who created it and performed the Oldsmobile 88 tribute, which was produced by Phillips, although Brenston sang on it. This is yet another song where an American car represents sexual prowess: “Gals will ride in style, movin’ all along.” The Olds 88 had just come out and was considered to be the fastest car on the road.

‘Pontiac Blues’
The song was written by blues great Sonny Boy Williamson. But when the British blues bands emerged in the ‘60s, they covered just about every memorable blues tune by every important blues artist. In this case, an early edition of the Yardbirds with Eric Clapton not only took a crack at “Pontiac Blues,” yet another hymn about romance and autos, but they joined up with Sonny Boy for a live album recorded in 1963 at England’s Crawdaddy Club. “I found out what my baby likes, (she likes a) whole lot of loving, and a straight-eight Pontiac.” Williamson’s earlier version is excellent as well and features an appearance by slide guitarist extraordinaire Elmore James."

i'm NOT suggesting that MR is actually about the car model of the same name...heh heh
But if you ever plan to motor west, we'll have fun fun fun till her daddy takes the t-bird away...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-03 03:10 by Beelyboy.

Date: April 3, 2007 02:45

bigbang Wrote:
> sweetcharmedlife Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What kind of bad fan am I? I actually don't
> think
> > I've ever heard this song.
>
>
> you're not missing anything.winking smiley

Bassplayer,I don't own VL. Which is probably why I've never heard it.

Bigbang. I'm gonna download it off of I-Tunes and find out for myself if I'm missin' anything,

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 3, 2007 03:04

sweet charmed, for what it's worth to ya, possibly not a thing...
but i think VL the best of their latter day studio albums in very, very many ways...they were totally trying...and stretching...
and it's a brilliant album i think...well not every single song rings true for me personally, as these things go...
but there's a big handful of really great great tunes and performances on that album and i'm so glad you're gonna give it a chance.

Date: April 3, 2007 03:13

Hey Beely, to each their own. But I just checked the track listing for VL. Just to check and see if I was missing something. Now I remember why I don't own it. The only thing I remember being worth anything on that album was Out Of Tears. I love that song. But then again I'm a big ballad guy. But I just downloaded Drive My Car. So I'm gonna give that a listen,because I honestly don't remember hearing that song.

Problem is. I just finished listening to Sticky Fingers. So the comparison is going to be tough.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-03 03:15 by sweetcharmedlife.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1665
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home