Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10
Re: Helsinki reports and comments
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: August 2, 2007 02:11

LA FORUM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.aftonbladet.se]
>
> Keith in horrible condition but what do you think?

What does it say in the newspaper?

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 2, 2007 02:15

Yeah, I can not really say do I view Keef a ridiculous, unpro alcoholic or the last sign of human touch in a cold hard-business las vegas machine, But anyway: the most inspiring, and touchy moment I got at El Ejido show - the only show I attend this summer - was Keith's performance in "You Got The Silver". I remember thinking: jeez, that guy really can deliver something evolving and creative; something to match to his age, and not like his partner in crime who finally is admired for giving the impression that he still IS like in 1966. It wasn't Keith Richards 1969 anymore, it was Keith Richards 2007, and he really gave a new, meaningful life to an old song. With Jagger, from 1989 on, we don't see such a change; we want him to sound and look as he always did, right? I have never been a big fan of slow tempo Keith ballads, but it looks like that those are the only new weapons they have picked up to their arsenal in the last two decades or something. The rest is just sticking to the old formula mastered in their first 20 years of existence.

(Sorry my off topic)

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-02 02:19 by Doxa.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: August 2, 2007 02:19

Lorenz Wrote:
> LA FORUM Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > [www.aftonbladet.se]
> >
> > Keith in horrible condition but what do you
> think?
>
> What does it say in the newspaper?

That Keef had a bad day at the office and sunk the Stones ;-)

Posted by: svendborg ()
Date: August 2, 2007 02:24

Lorenz Wrote:
> LA FORUM Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > [www.aftonbladet.se]
> >
> > Keith in horrible condition but what do you
> think?
>
> What does it say in the newspaper?

That he didn't play much and when he did it was bad playing :-(

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 2, 2007 02:34

Gimme little drink - from your loving cup - and I'll fall down drunk....

maybe thats what he had?

It is a bit disturbing^^

Date: August 2, 2007 02:39

Did anyone listen to the audio file from the link above?
I don't understand much from it sad smiley

Date: August 2, 2007 02:47

Lorenz Wrote:
> Did anyone listen to the audio file from the link
> above?
> I don't understand much from it sad smiley

Yes I did. I'm not swedish, but danish...but I understand it quite well. You wouldn't wish to understand it.
Basically Keith blew the show...didn't play much and when he did, he couldn't hit the right notes. And if he dosn't get better, the reporter don't feel there's much future for the Stones, that's basically what he said.
Also he said that Mick did a great job and he enjoyed a few of the songs...Sweet Virginia and Paint it black were great in his oppinion.

Date: August 2, 2007 02:50

Hm. Bad news - but it's also a shitty newspaper, right?

Date: August 2, 2007 02:54

Lorenz Wrote:
> Hm. Bad news - but it's also a shitty newspaper,
> right?

Well I wouldn't know. I'm sure it is ;-)

Posted by: PiotrRSpl ()
Date: August 2, 2007 04:06

well, it looks like a rubbish service so I wouldn't find it reliable one.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: August 2, 2007 06:55

Reminds me of what happened with Keith in Frankfurt: Lots of errors, posing, drinking from a plastic cup and not playing in the middle of songs. I don't know if it is booze or what but this has been disappointing compared to the Fall North America tour. Let's hope they can get him healthy for the last few shows.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: August 2, 2007 07:09

From the photos it looks like Keith is having a great time... I think he's happy to have his family there and may have had an extra sip, that's all! Any Keith is fine with me.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: August 2, 2007 07:13

Come on, not the same debate again... Keith had a bad day, just like any other artist, sports player, etc. can have once in a while. He's getting old and still drinking, so "once in a while" tends to be more frequently than before. It sucks for people who paid their tickets big money, but that's the way it is with Keith. He's never been has professional as Mick and he's not going to start now.

Posted by: bumbum ()
Date: August 2, 2007 07:21

And pictures / vidoes of Keith falling on his butt?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 2, 2007 07:23

Judging by the looks of the photos, it may have been too early in the day for Keith to get started.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 2, 2007 08:16

Piotr, buddy...again, I am as much as Keef fan as you are. I cherish my two guitar picks from him as much as you do the autographed set list you got last year. But yesterday our idol was drunk, not tired. It was the walking and all. He had a tough time walking a straight line for Pete´s sake. Darryl and the roadies had to hold him.

And I still said and still say he played just fine for most of the songs. There were f*ckups and lots of missed bars but still, just fine.

I wasn´t even born yet in the 70s when Keith played shows on hard drugs. There are people who witnessed that.

And Piotr, he DID do his set quite well. The lyrics in Wanna Hold You went well. The funny part was that at one point on You Got the Silver he had to really concentrate so he could see the text on the teleprompter.

Posted by: tobbeer ()
Date: August 2, 2007 08:43

Don’t worry what Markus Larsson in the Swedish tabloid Aftonbladet says about Keith! Markus is absolutely one of the most stupid journalist in Sweden, his knowledge about music and specially blues oriented music is ZERO. If he says that Keith destroyed the concert it was probably a very very good concert. The journalist is one of these ones that always try to position themselves against the older and more experienced colleagues and his objective is always to do negative articles on music legends like Stones, Dylan etc. Markus Larsson is a real @#$%&!

Posted by: tobbeer ()
Date: August 2, 2007 08:48

I just have to add that Aftonbladet is doing its best to become a real British Tabloid!

Posted by: bumbum ()
Date: August 2, 2007 08:57

"Markus is absolutely one of the most stupid journalist in Sweden"

Then he is like Thomas Treo from Ekstra Baldet who gives reviews which are completely nonsense....

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 2, 2007 09:31

the best i ever saw keith, and i have seen him many times prior and post ronnie's stonesmanship...was in '72, when he was on smack, coke, booze and god knows what else...and it's hard to find better rock and roll performances in the history of the genre period. rhythm and lead...

as for '69...i'm not sure what he was on...i'm guessing smack, coke booze and the co#cksuc*ing blooze...

...i am on NONE Of that stuff, not even hard alcohol...at all...and certainly don't 'admire' him for it...or emulate it, or suggest it as anything but a door to untold misery for anyone who thinks that's the way to negotiate your life...

but, that's what he was doin' at the time...yes, there's a huge difference between being in your 20's and your 60's after really driving a lot of crap thru your liver...not to mention health things that aren't related to drugs per se, like his arthritis and head injury...(injuries)...

i don't know wassup for sure and i'm not saying i do...
my feeling is that he will be fine once they break out of the circus dog and pony show thing a little...i think he's stone cold dead disoriented by the endless sameness of it all...he's a vital, brilliant guy and will rise again...

Posted by: pilfer ()
Date: August 2, 2007 10:02

The only my concern is Keith’s liver is getting worse and worse everyday and who knows what else can happen to his other organs too – I’m sure, he should not drink at all at his age. Mick is fit and Keith is going down. I’m not that much offended if I see Keith drunk, I’m ready too see him in any condition. But it gives a lot of pain to realize that he’s killing himself. And the Stones are not going to exist without him. But let’s hope for the best…
Let's be honest, the set list for that Helsinki show looks interesting but I would not call it too original: All Down The Line is far from being any kind of revelation and they did not even performed I’ll Go Crazy. I sang every word with Mick in Saint-Petersburg, it was a brilliant show but still there’s a thought that came into my mind – I suppose, now the presence of Rough Justice gives the right to call this tour “A Bigger Bang Tour”? winking smiley

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: August 2, 2007 10:06

^ I sure hope you're right about Keith rising again. I got the feeling he's bout to realize he's not 20 anymore. Not many people do until it's too late, rock stars or not. On the other hand Dylan has stopped twice, the speed years ended in 1966, and then he quit heavy drinking after the dreadful 80's, tho' arguably the drink wasn't the only reason for his dry spell, (heh, heh)

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 2, 2007 10:43

I listened to that Aftonbladet clip. They also have a text review up (by the same reporter of course) and I take it that he does like to diss the Stones when he has the chance? The review was indeed somewhat, well, sensationalist. He still gave them some credit though where it was due. He liked Paint It Black, for instance.

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: August 2, 2007 10:49

Good morning!

The gig was good, the band is in tight form, with the exception of Keith sometimes. The set list was the best I`ve wittnessed (this was my fifth gig). The crowd responded very well. Only song, which had a lame response was Sweet Virginia, where Mick wanted us to sing-along. I´d guess Finnish don`t recognise the lyrics so well.
Everyone I met after the gig were enthusiatic and from according to discusiions with these random visitors, Keith`s condition didn`t bother them.
Ronnie was surprisingly good, Mick had fun with the audience and delivered a very rough rock singing. Charlie, well you all know.
CYHMK was absolutly suberb, so was PIB. Compared to Licks gig in Helsinki the b-stage wasn´t that good. 2003 they played Respectable and it was mixed very hard rocking then. As you have already mentioned, Satisfaction does´t fit to b-stage.

I have some holidays left. I´m going to Tallin for one night. I think I´ll be able to show you some pictures during the weekend!

Posted by: starkjo ()
Date: August 2, 2007 10:54

Hi all, new to this forum. Just wanted to tell my side of the story about the Helsinki gig.

The concert itself was awesome. The setlist was as good as it gets. Right from the start, Start Me Up worked very well, though Finnish radio stations play it way too much - like many other major hits by any artists. Major highlights of the concerts were without any doubt She's So Cold, Sweet Virginia, Rough Justice, and the best moment of the night, Can't You Hear Me Knocking.

About Keith then. His vocals on You Got The Silver were excellent, though he did have to check the teleprompter every now and then. He did fall a couple of times during the concert - the first time, he didn't get up for a while, he continued to play while lying on his back. Immediately when he fell, Ronnie went over to him to check that he was ok. But Keith seemed to be in a good mood, striking his great poses and chit-chatting. But apart from perhaps 7 or 8 songs, his guitar playing was quite horrible. The sound was really good at my location - down on the grass, just a bit away from the B-stage. You could clearly hear that he played the wrong notes SEVERAL times - when he played, that is. As someone mentioned in a previous message, he did fool around quite a bit on stage, which always is nice to see. And he is himself, and I think he's allowed to do just that. And the Swedish journalist Markus Larsson - as linked to the text on the Aftonbladet website - can truly kiss his own ass. Keith did NOT spoil the concert. If he thinks so, fine, that's his opinion. But please - don't write THAT unprofessionally, not even for a tabloid paper. Shame on him. Of course, mr Larsson also wrote "I wanna be with you" instead of "Wanna hold you". The small things account...

Mick was absolutely fantastic in his efforts and show on stage. He sounded, looked and moved great. Ronnie's playing was also fantastic - not to mention Charlie, who has never sounded better than now. I stand behind my words - if Keith would have had a slightly better day, the band have hardly ever played better than they do in the year 2007. The rest of the band and the singers were also great - perhaps Lisa Fischer was even better during the Babylon tour, but Bobby Keyes... His playing on Can't You Hear Me Knocking was sweet to hear!

Two things must be said. Both are quite predictable, but I'd like to bring them up anyway. Firstly, the Finnish audience was way too lazy and quiet. I know that most of the audience would like to sit down and enjoy themselves, and that we (I'm Finnish myself, by the way!) are quite quiet. But this is a rock concert! Some people complained when we stood up right from the beginning, but I really can't - and seriously don't want to - SIT during a CONCERT! You gotta move... Secondly, the setlist... Of course you can discuss this to the bitter end, but perhaps it still needs to be talked about. The whole second half is way too predictable. I know that a major part of the audience is expecting those specific songs, but still... Well, I think there's room for more experimenting - not even rarities necessarily, but some other songs as well. With a back catalogue such as theirs! But, Hot Rocks is the most sold album after all...

But a truly beautiful night in Helsinki. The ticket price alone (got mine for 60 euros at the last minute - I decided to wait this time to see if I could do it this way in stead of queuing and sleeping outside the ticket offices and stadiums, like I did before I got a family...) was worth for experiencing She's So Cold and Can't You Hear Me Knocking alone.

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: August 2, 2007 11:12

Too bad I wasn't there. Awesome setlist. Though I am still waiting for warhorse changes which is wishful thinking

Posted by: Finnstone ()
Date: August 2, 2007 11:13

Oh I am such a happy FinnStone!

The floor seats we had in A4 were so great and all that talk of people having to sit down during the show and a worse atmosphere was rubbish. I have been to many GA standing Stones shows and I don't know why people moan about the seats on pitch system. With reserved seats we could stay in the bar longer, wander about the stadium, go to the merch stands, go to toilet just before the start, buy food/drink, put jackets/bags under our chair, dance and more. And it was so nice not having to queue/stand for hours for a good place and then for some tall drunk to push through and stand right in front of you.

The skies were warm, sunny and bright blue at the beginning but thankfully by the end it was dark and the stage could really be seen in full affect. And the stadium was totally full even the very last row at the back. Mick was so right when he said he was glad the gig wasn't the night before(cold wind and rain).

I was worried about Keith at the beginning but he seemed to wake up when it came to his two songs. He did them very well. I think rather than moan about his faults we should be lucky we can still see the legend on stage. There will never be another human riff.

Ronnie was working very well with his Finnish made guitar with the blue light!

Charlie looked really with it but his drums didn't seem to be quite loud enough in the mix for me.

The musical highlights for me were Sweet Virginia, CYHMK and Paint it Black.

Mick was fantastic, he just never grows old. He talked alot of Finnish, even did the introductions in Finnish and totally won over the crowd! Everyone laughed alot at his 'cheap shoes' jibe at Lisa while on the big screen she didn't understand a word he said.

Walking out of the stadium everyone seemed really happy and thrilled at the show.

THe Stones are still Rolling!

Posted by: Adi Tyler ()
Date: August 2, 2007 11:18

Show us some pics!

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: August 2, 2007 11:53

Really looking forward to those pics!

Posted by: TooMuchAlcohol ()
Date: August 2, 2007 12:44

Keith was in horribe condition! I could almost cry when I saw him at stage. The man was so drunk that he barely stand. I am still very much sad and shocked because the last night. How can my life long hero make such a clown for himself sad smiley

I didn't saw him falling at B-stage since I was quite near the stage (A2), but I saw him falling down during She So Cold and I also saw him nearly falling couple of other times. At one point he was far left at stage and suddenly I saw him starting to fall down bacwards, but hopefully there was a fence behind him and that saved him. I was real scared in that moment. I really thought he would fall down from the stage.

A falling down during She So Cold was even more shamefull when he keep playing while lying on stage and pretending that nothing happened.

I won't say anything about his playing because (thank god) he played very little.

Sorry about the very negative opinion, but this is what I am thinking about.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1907
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home