Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Singing at the Stones Beacon show.
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 20, 2007 15:28

Listening to the boot of the Beacon show recently kind of made me wonder. Since it was an audience recording the perspective of course allowed plenty of audience feedback. One thing that was easily noticable was that the audience was singing along with every song so loudly that it appeared to be kind of annoying from outside listener point of view.

In my opinion it seemed to distract from the show itself. Its one thing to sing along to a song but with what seemed to be the whole theatre of fans screaming the lyrics to every song seemed a little overboard.

Now not being there I'm sure those of you who were inside would testify that it was indeed a magical experience to which I would not argue but only envy. Those who were there probably participated in the shouting match so I do not expect similar response.

Does anyone else see it that way? Or hear it? Did it take away from your experience?

Re: Singing at the Stones Beacon show.
Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: March 20, 2007 15:38

if im at the show i'll sing along, but yeah it can ruin a boot,as can off beat clapping! I always pray the person next to me isnt recording!

OLDKR

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 20, 2007 16:37

I was at the show and many people did sing along, to all the songs, especially the less common live songs like Connection and I'm Free. To some people's disbelief, most fans at Stones shows do know much more than the usual warhorses. The experience was great, it seemed like one big happy Stones party. Everyone seemed to love every song they played, especially the more rare ones.

As far as listening to boots go, it can be annoying if you have some guy standing next to the taper and his voice is present throughout, but the show was meant for everyone there to have a good time so not much you can do or say about that.

Another show where everyone seemed to sing along to every song was the show I saw in Hartford in 2002. Again people seemed to really appreciate the lesser played songs like Can't You Hear Me Knocking. And everyone went nuts during Manish Boy on the b-stage. When you are there and the fans are that invloved it makes for an electric crowd and show.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 20, 2007 16:48

Hound Dog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it can be
> annoying if you have some guy standing next to the
> taper and his voice is present throughout

YES!!!! I want to kill the dude who's standing next to the guy recording the Horsens show. Screaming throughout.
Of course the show isn't supposed to be recorded, and all the screaming adds to a great evening. On boots it's just annoying though...

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: JaggerFan ()
Date: March 20, 2007 19:27

This is one of the several reasons why I have no time for audience recordings (except for one hilarious moment on Neil Young's 1989 boot Crime in the City)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 20, 2007 19:47

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> Hound Dog Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > it can be
> > annoying if you have some guy standing next to
> the
> > taper and his voice is present throughout
>
>
> YES!!!! I want to kill the dude who's standing
> next to the guy recording the Horsens show.
> Screaming throughout.
> Of course the show isn't supposed to be recorded,
> and all the screaming adds to a great evening. On
> boots it's just annoying though...

Its even worse when the taper himself feels the need to speak as well!

Posted by: triplelicks ()
Date: March 20, 2007 20:09

I loved how different the atmosphere was at the Beacon!! I felt like I was surrounded by friends in someone's living room and the Stones were there, too! An audience filled with 98% people who were huge fans and most likely had gone on a stressful roller coaster ride to see them that night was like no other. The audience didn't detract at all from the performance - but we did fuel the fireworks on stage.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 20, 2007 20:15

OK if you sing but some time the guy next to you is singing so horribly bad and loud that it is ruining the show. Then I move away to enjoy thye show for myself. After all it's a Stones show, not a karaoke event.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: March 20, 2007 20:44

bv Wrote:
> OK if you sing but some time the guy next to you
> is singing so horribly bad and loud that it is
> ruining the show. Then I move away to enjoy thye
> show for myself. After all it's a Stones show, not
> a karaoke event.

Part of what continues to reciprocate the communal atmosphere of a Stones show is the fact that everyone is singing together. I don't think I would've enjoyed the show I went to as much as I did if people around me weren't singing, dancing, joking. I think part of the appeal is that you picture yourself singing along with the live accompaniment of the band. I'd check your pulse or make sure you weren't a stick in the mud if all you do the whole show is just listen. Let it loose there, Beev, we know you like to let your hair down every once in a while!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 20, 2007 21:32

>> we know you like to let your hair down every once in a while! <<

smile: letting one's hair down is all well and good, but having a pair of burly drunks bellowing two lines of Ruby Tuesday
over and over and over in your ear isn't everyone's favourite way of enjoying a show.
people singing along can be great, as long as it's not invasive.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 20, 2007 21:39

I've experienced annoying singing by people next to me, too.
I wish Mick would say
"All right! You have to be quiet down there, and not sing while we're on stage. And please...SIT DOWN, and pretend that nothing is happening here!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-20 21:42 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 20, 2007 21:41

with sssoul Wrote:
>
> smile: letting one's hair down is all well and
> good, but having a pair of burly drunks bellowing
> two lines of Ruby Tuesday

double smile: experiencing 80.000 burly drunks "singing" ruby t in wembley was one of the my best memories of a stones concert!

C

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 21, 2007 15:53

Gazza Wrote:
> Its even worse when the taper himself feels the
> need to speak as well!

You referring to Drake and the Columbus recording? There it's just cool IMO. "They played "Sway" man. Fvck, I've been waiting forever for them to play that". smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Date: March 21, 2007 16:59

bv Wrote:
> OK if you sing but some time the guy next to you
> is singing so horribly bad and loud that it is
> ruining the show. Then I move away to enjoy the
> show for myself. After all it's a Stones show, not
> a karaoke event.

That may be a good idea if your alone. But, where do you move to if your in an assigned seat?

The problem with playing a small venue is that it does turn into a huge karaoke event for every song.

Posted by: spikey ()
Date: March 21, 2007 19:01

I don't remember being overly bothered by it. I find it far more annoying to have to peer over people who won't sit down.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: March 22, 2007 11:28

All of this explains why Stones audiences are a generally quiet and miserable lot...apart from the few who join in during the dirge-like YCAGWYW.

For the those attending the IOW gig, get ready for Keane fans joining in with every single word.

You should join in! I can hear all those Stones fans now, singing at the top of their collective voices, "I'm getting old and I need someone to rely on..."

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: March 22, 2007 11:44

A lot of bands have chosen to record their live albums in Japan just because the Japanese audience is usually rather quiet during the songs. Imagine Child in Time from Made in Japan recorded with an American crowd screaming their lungs out...

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: March 22, 2007 11:55

It can be annoying if many fans sing every single word of each and every song. I never experienced that with the Stones however. It happened to me once with U2. The fans sang so loud it was impossible to follow what was going on onstage. And after a while people around me started to look angry at me because I didn't sing!

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: March 22, 2007 12:03

Svartmer Wrote:
> A lot of bands have chosen to record their live
> albums in Japan just because the Japanese audience
> is usually rather quiet during the songs. Imagine
> Child in Time from Made in Japan recorded with an
> American crowd screaming their lungs out...

...which makes the recording of such "live" albums utterly pointless. They should go and do it in a studio.

It's the reason too, why so many soundboards sound so godawful.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: March 22, 2007 12:15

Barn Owl Wrote:
> Svartmer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > A lot of bands have chosen to record their live
> > albums in Japan just because the Japanese
> audience
> > is usually rather quiet during the songs.
> Imagine
> > Child in Time from Made in Japan recorded with
> an
> > American crowd screaming their lungs out...
>
>
> ...which makes the recording of such "live" albums
> utterly pointless. They should go and do it in a
> studio.
>
> It's the reason too, why so many soundboards sound
> so godawful.

Not at all pointless, you get the live sound and you get the audience, but they donĀ“t take over completely. I heard a dreadful example recently, Rush in Rio where you hardly can hear the band at all.
Soundboard recordings are another matter, they usually have no ambience, a very dry sound and no crowd at all, godawful I agree.

Date: March 22, 2007 15:04

There once was a time when a band would prod the audience to sing along on a particular song. Every band has a couple of sing a long numbers.

I remember at a Crosby Stills and Nash show the "sing a long" part was during "Teach the Children". Or Queen's "We Will Rock You" medley.

But the entire set in a small theatre? Again I was not there but listening to the audience tape posted by Urban Steel, it sounded way overboard. Everyone screaming every lyric to every song just seemed to distract from the show.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: March 22, 2007 19:39

The Beacon gig was a wet dream for every fan in that joint. If you had been there you would have been singing to. I was standing off to the right (Keef side) and everyone around me was hardcore fans. No one bothered anyone else with their singing. It was more like a choir of Stones fans than drunk idiots belting their lungs out. I knew it was a good crowd when everyone was singing along on She Was Hot. Also you have to consider that the sound system affects the way people sing. When you can barely hear yourself you can easily sing along without SHOUTING. The only audience recording to surface of this show comes from the back of the venue. If the taper was closer to the PA you would think it was the hottest show of the entire tour. I almost regret not taking my gear into the second show.

-Drake

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home