Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Senior Research Paper: Stones
Posted by: DancePartTwo ()
Date: March 20, 2007 07:14

So, I've decided to write my Senior Research Paper on why the Stones are the World's Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band. My teacher says it's too subjective of a subject, but I am out to prove her wrong. Anyone have any interesting facts, opinions, or statements to help me out on this thing?

Re: Senior Research Paper: Stones
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 20, 2007 07:36

i have some ideas if you wanna leave your email somewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-20 09:00 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 20, 2007 12:38

If you are so positive about proving her wrong, you must have some strong ideas yourself. Have you explored those?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 20, 2007 14:23

DancePartTwo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, I've decided to write my Senior Research Paper
> on why the Stones are the World's Greatest Rock
> 'n' Roll Band. My teacher says it's too
> subjective of a subject, but I am out to prove her
> wrong. Anyone have any interesting facts,
> opinions, or statements to help me out on this
> thing?

Your teacher is right. Saying someone is 'the greatest' is entirely subjective. Despite Sam Cutler's assertion at the beginning of "Get Yer Ya Yas Out", you cant 'prove' it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-20 14:25 by Gazza.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: March 20, 2007 14:27

You can guide your paper towards reasons why you feel they can be considered such, but you'd probably need to provide in comparison with another band.

What is your thesis statement?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 20, 2007 14:30

Listen to Uncle Gazza. I tell ya that.
Still: "greatest" may be possible to prove; yet "best" totally impossible.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 20, 2007 14:57

Jumpin'JackFrash Wrote:
> You can guide your paper towards reasons why you
> feel they can be considered such, but you'd
> probably need to provide in comparison with
> another band.
>

Compare them to Bon Jovi. That should be safe enough.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 20, 2007 15:01

Compare them to another British Invasion band - the much-derided Herman's Hermits. winking smiley

Perhaps a better topic would be their influence on music over four decades. For example, there wouldn't be a GNR/Aerosmith/Sex Pistols/etc. without the Stones.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 20, 2007 15:02

And the Stones may have been much more boring without Pistols grinning smiley
...Now were (I'm) confusin' the ol'son, dont ya think, Elmo? winking smiley

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: March 20, 2007 15:04

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> Compare them to another British Invasion band -
> the much-derided Herman's Hermits. winking smiley
>
> Perhaps a better topic would be their influence on
> music over four decades. For example, there
> wouldn't be a GNR/Aerosmith/Sex Pistols/etc.
> without the Stones.

What he said. And Gazza. Proving something is the greatest/best/nicest is impossible; it all depends on your own interpretation of greatness etc. 'The First to do xyz' is something you can make a go of - in fact, if you wanted to do an economics/business paper you could *certainly* make a damn good case history on how the Stones changed the notion of touring, that no matter what artist goes out on the road, and that includes U2, that the first thing they do is take down the 'Rolling stones guide to touring'...

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: March 20, 2007 15:19

The teacher is wrong. It is not just another band, it the convergence of the correct moment in time, place, music, art, fashion, culture, and, youth taking contol of its own destiny for the first time. Plus it is a magic band with the perfect individuals of the time. You outline the paper breaking it down to A- time; B- place; C- music, etc., and send that "teacher" back to school.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 20, 2007 15:47

The teacher may be "wrong" but the teacher is the one handing out the grade.

And the basis for that can be pretty subjective. (Perhaps he/she hates the Stones??)

Take the hint and spare yourself some grief: find another topic.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: March 20, 2007 15:54

Maybe just why they are CALLED the world's greatest RnR Band, not that they ARE the greatest [although we know that they are] smiling smiley

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 20, 2007 16:12

Jumpin'JackFrash Wrote:
> You can guide your paper towards reasons why you
> feel they can be considered such, but you'd
> probably need to provide in comparison with
> another band.

> What is your thesis statement?

Stones are the World's Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band.

A paper should not be graded based entirely on the subject title. Although many instructors frown on modern genres of music because it can be subjective and too interesting to the writer. Many instructors want their students to actually choose a subject that involves quite of bit of physical researching. If you do intend on focusing on the Stones as a subject, interviews with members here including BV, will provide you with valuable insight and primary sources of information.

Posted by: jack_daniels ()
Date: March 20, 2007 16:24

I'd advise you to look up some literature based on the statement of Thomas (1937):

"If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences"

So if everyone believes the Stones are "The Greatest" they will act accordingly. Like a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's a bit psychology but useful in your thesis.

In wikipedia: [en.wikipedia.org]

I'm just a Monkey Man

home.planet.nl/~verm6412/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-20 16:28 by jack_daniels.

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: March 20, 2007 16:33

One point you could make is that Chuck Berry songs define "rock and roll" due to the rythm of the two string combanation of the tonic note and the alternating 5th and 6th notes, which provide the "roll" and no band has ever been as great at playing the Berry style as the Stones. Of course Elvis never used Chuck's rythm and was certainly Rock and Roll, so it can't be proved conclusivly but you can make a good case hopefully.

Date: March 20, 2007 16:37

The Sicilian Wrote:
> Jumpin'JackFrash Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You can guide your paper towards reasons why
> you
> > feel they can be considered such, but you'd
> > probably need to provide in comparison with
> > another band.
>
> > What is your thesis statement?
>
> Stones are the World's Greatest Rock 'n' Roll
> Band.
>
> A paper should not be graded based entirely on the
> subject title. Although many instructors frown on
> modern genres of music because it can be
> subjective and too interesting to the writer.
> Many instructors want their students to actually
> choose a subject that involves quite of bit of
> physical researching. If you do intend on
> focusing on the Stones as a subject, interviews
> with members here including BV, will provide you
> with valuable insight and primary sources of
> information.

Sorry, Sicilian, that's not what a thesis statement is. A thesis statement is a series of three (or more) statements that are used as the main arguments in order to prove a larger point. The three points themselves are supported by research. Because this is a research paper, he will actually need hard evidence, and not conjecture in the form of IORR forum members, because they are not "experts in the field". An example of a thesis statement is:

"As demonstrated by (preview some of your sources), the career and impact of The Rolling Stones through X reason, Y reason, and Z reason will be explored, in order to show that the Rolling Stones are in fact the world's greatest rock 'n' roll band."

Admittedly, as others have pointed out, it's not a viable research thesis to have a conditional, subjective thesis - which is why perhaps it is best to explore the impact the Stones have had on the music community, or why, in comparison to other bands they can be seen as "better," simply on the basis of comparison. At least this example is how Thesis statements were taught to myself (an advanced english student) in high school from the years of 2000-2004. I hope this clears things up.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: March 20, 2007 16:54

This topic is starting to remind me of a certain lonesome schoolboy who came to check out London town and ended up on the wrong end of a young policeman's truncheon.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 20, 2007 17:19

"Prove that they have been around the longest."

You might need to write some filler....

Date: March 20, 2007 17:33

cbtaco19 Wrote:
> This topic is starting to remind me of a certain
> lonesome schoolboy who came to check out London
> town and ended up on the wrong end of a young
> policeman's truncheon.

Oh, my word. How old were you when this happened?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 20, 2007 17:57

Id say go for it. It is a broad subject, just narrow in one thing or a few things. A good paper couuld come out of it it. If it were me, Id foucs on the 60's , I think that would be the most relevent to the assignment. The stones are more than just a band, theyre a piece of social history. After you get your paper back with an A on it, you can use it to roll a fat doobie!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-20 18:06 by ryanpow.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: March 20, 2007 18:02

... its not a good idea to go an try to prove any woman wrong..

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 20, 2007 18:29

As usual, Elmo is/was right! winking smiley

Good point, Bro. The Pistols gave the Stones a kick in the ass that ignited Some Girls.

Posted by: DancePartTwo ()
Date: March 21, 2007 06:25

So far here's what I have in mind for this paper; extremely tentative, mind you. Also, I told my fellow Stones experts helping me on this that my goal is just to get the "D-" (some sort of passing grade). I am really doing this to prove that every persuasive essay (not compare+contrast as someone else suggested) is subjective to a certain extent. There are no facts to support or oppose gay marriage, the death penalty, or assisted suicide, yet these seem to be the most popular subjects selected as well as supported by the teacher.

Point 1: How the term "World's Greatest Rock 'N' Roll Band", intro'd by Sam Cutler in 69, has the well-known connection to the Stones, and is seriously uncontested (weakest point, mostly to provide history, background)

Point 2: How the quantity and range of music produced as songwriters, studio performers, live musicians and solo artists qualify them as the worlds greatest...

Point 3: How the quality and success of their music as far as #1 singles, platinum + gold records, and concert + touring success validates them as worlds greatest...

I appreciate the points brought up and I would love continued input!! My email is LiveAtTheBBC@gmail.com if you want to shoot anything over there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1661
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home