Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: IORRian's amps
Posted by: NickB ()
Date: February 6, 2008 15:00

This is my amp. It's only 15 watts switchable to 7 but it's loud enough!! The tone is so good. I have the same set up as shown in the pic but made the cab open backed as opposed to the closed back it came with.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 23, 2008 15:15

My potential live set up for the new band I've just joined.

All I need is a roadie who can drive! :lol:

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 23, 2008 22:16

1962 fender (brown) super,1971 fender (silver) twin reverb,1998fender prosonic.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: June 23, 2008 23:47

with hiwatt speakers

and a

with marshall 4x12

Date: June 24, 2008 10:33

Nice Custom 50W, guitarbastard! I have a Biacrown custom 50W Combo.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 24, 2008 11:33

My latest purchase: a Boogie MK I, reverb, EQ, 60/100 watts, Altec Lansing speaker. This amp is number 808 from March 1977, Keith's Boogie is number 804 from March 1977.

It is the best sounding amp I have ever owned and played -it blows my Boogie MK IIB out of the water. It's instant Keith -El Mocambo, 1978 tour, Some Girls, Emotional Resque, Tatoo You. If you play this you can understand keith started to play more and more country licks and bends from 1977 on - a Tele and this amp has just the best overdriven country sound in the world. Think Whip Comes Down, Before They Make Me Run, Respectable, Slave (with a LP Junior!), She's So Cold, T&A, Start Me Up.

I was never aware that a speaker is SO important to your sound. I think at least 50% of the sound of this Boogie is the Altec Speaker. Man, what a fantastic speaker it is!

Mathijs

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: June 24, 2008 11:58

DandelionPowderman
Nice Custom 50W, guitarbastard! I have a Biacrown custom 50W Combo.

thanks! after all that "rack-shit" i bought beginning of the 90ies, i was finaly lucky. VERY LUCKY. the sound is just amazing. it has so much attack! it's so direct, defined, warm and powerfull...men. the best thing i ever bought.
would love to hear your combo!

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: June 24, 2008 12:09

A Fender Princeton 112

Date: June 24, 2008 12:42

This is my other amp, a Fender Super 60. I run the Orange tiny terror and the Super 60 at the same time on stage giving a nice fat sound!!

NickB

Date: June 24, 2008 14:57

<thanks! after all that "rack-shit" i bought beginning of the 90ies, i was finaly lucky. VERY LUCKY. the sound is just amazing. it has so much attack! it's so direct, defined, warm and powerfull...men. the best thing i ever bought.
would love to hear your combo!>

That's great! Bought mine in the early 90s. Warm distortion, very distinct sound. Check it out here: www.sonicbids.com/barbariantwins

Date: June 24, 2008 22:19

Mathijs

It is the best sounding amp I have ever owned and played

Does this mean you want to sell your Foundation Bass amp? thumbs up

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: June 24, 2008 23:18

Love both of these heads but the Orange is certainly more practical, given that the Hiwatt is louder than sin and has the most sensitive master volume imaginable. I used a '58 Junior and the Orange on our recent recordings (myspace.com/budokanrocks)through a small cab w/ a Celestion speaker and it sounded beautiful-sizzling and warm.

Love those Orange Tiny Terrors as well. Our other guitar player just bought one and we used it for all the lead o/ds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-24 23:19 by andrewm.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 24, 2008 23:33

Juts built myself a Fender Tweed Deluxe (5E3). Great project, and it sounds awesome. Only 15W but what a tone.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 25, 2008 02:21

His Majesty
My potential live set up for the new band I've just joined.

All I need is a roadie who can drive! :lol:
Christ, what a rig HR! I noticed that the gold plating has worn off your Custom. Did you make a concerted effort to remove it or did it come of from normal wear and tear?

Date: June 25, 2008 02:23

Mathijs
My latest purchase: a Boogie MK I, reverb, EQ, 60/100 watts, Altec Lansing speaker. This amp is number 808 from March 1977, Keith's Boogie is number 804 from March 1977.

A very cool amp indeed Mathijs. Well done!

Date: June 25, 2008 02:44

ChrisM
I noticed that the gold plating has worn off your Custom. Did you make a concerted effort to remove it or did it come of from normal wear and tear?

The tailpiece has been like that since I bought it, but the super clean gold pickups looked odd with it so I used a fine sanding pad and took the gold of the pickups to match the tailpiece.

There's still some gold around the edges and in about the polepieces though, but it isn't bright like before. cool smiley

Date: June 25, 2008 18:22

Looks great HR. I'd love to hear that combo plugged in and turned up. Care to share any sound bites?

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 25, 2008 19:16

NickB, what type of cabinet do you play the Tiny Terror through? is that a 4x10? my friend has a Tiny Terror but I feel is not getting the amp's best sound through his 4x12 cab.

Date: June 25, 2008 22:42

His Majesty
Mathijs

It is the best sounding amp I have ever owned and played

Does this mean you want to sell your Foundation Bass amp? thumbs up

Well....I had to let go of that one some time go ago...

Your rig looks fab. I hope you don't have neighbours!

Mathijs

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 25, 2008 23:47

Mathijs

It is the best sounding amp I have ever owned and played -it blows my Boogie MK IIB out of the water. It's instant Keith -El Mocambo, 1978 tour, Some Girls, Emotional Resque, Tatoo You. If you play this you can understand keith started to play more and more country licks and bends from 1977 on - a Tele and this amp has just the best overdriven country sound in the world. Think Whip Comes Down, Before They Make Me Run, Respectable, Slave (with a LP Junior!), She's So Cold, T&A, Start Me Up.

I was never aware that a speaker is SO important to your sound. I think at least 50% of the sound of this Boogie is the Altec Speaker. Man, what a fantastic speaker it is!

Mathijs

How much was it, if I can ask?
And what tubes?

Date: June 25, 2008 23:53

tomk
Mathijs

Mathijs

And what tubes?

Just under 2000 euro ($395.000), pre-amp tubes are '60's RCA, power tubes are '70's GE.

Mathijs

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 25, 2008 23:59

Mathijs
tomk
Mathijs

Mathijs

And what tubes?

Just under 2000 euro ($395.000), pre-amp tubes are '60's RCA, power tubes are '70's GE.

Mathijs

Are you gonna replace the tubes or keep as is?
What tubes came in the original Mrk 1 ?
Do you use your Boogie as is or do you use an extension speaker
(not for volume, but for tone)?
Great find, btw.

Date: June 26, 2008 00:10

tomk
Mathijs
tomk
Mathijs

Mathijs

And what tubes?

Mathijs

Are you gonna replace the tubes or keep as is?
What tubes came in the original Mrk 1 ?
Do you use your Boogie as is or do you use an extension speaker
(not for volume, but for tone)?
Great find, btw.

I replaced the V2 tube as the EQ was cracking a bit, and I swapped the 12AX7 that drives the reverb with a 12AT7 -I never use reverb, but the reverb driver does change the tone of the amp. I keep the power tubes as they are: I don't believe in worn out power tubes. They're either good or broken in my opinion.

Until now I have not used the Mk I live nor in the studio, so I don't know how it behaves at really loud volumes yet (my neighbours disagree though). I have bought a spare Altec Lansing speaker, and I am planning to by a nice cab for it. So, when in need I can add this cab to my rig. From my Boogie Mk IIB I know that one 12" speaker is not ideal live on stage -too loud when you're in front of it, inaudible when you're standing next to it.

Mathijs

Date: June 26, 2008 10:22

Mathijs

Well....I had to let go of that one some time go ago...

Your rig looks fab. I hope you don't have neighbours!

Mathijs

Oh dear, I wish you'd got in touch!

As for my neighbours, they are just as noisy as me at times, so they have no right to complain! grinning smiley

Date: June 26, 2008 13:05

cc
NickB, what type of cabinet do you play the Tiny Terror through? is that a 4x10? my friend has a Tiny Terror but I feel is not getting the amp's best sound through his 4x12 cab.

Hi cc I play it thru the Orange 1x12 cab which has a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker. It was a closed back cab but I changed it to open back with a 1 & 1/2 inch gap so I could here myself more easily on stage and so the speaker had more freedom to move. Your friend also needs to match the impedance correctly as the Tiny Terror is 16ohms.

NickB

Date: June 26, 2008 13:28

All those guys who have loud amps you need a power scale device installed in your amp (this is not a DIY job unless you are proficient in amps) that lets you hear the tonality of the amp but at lower volumes. This link might be useful.

[www.amptone.com]

If you don't fancy opening up your amp and fiddling around inside you could use an attenuator. This link might be useful.

[www.amptone.com]

Laters

NickB

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 26, 2008 15:48

A tip for folks with any Fender derived 6L6 toting amplifier who's looking for atht Keith type "clean with attitude" grind.
Try a couple of JAN 5751 tubes in the various preamp positions and a pair of TAD 6L6WGC in the output. Folks with modern Fender Deluxes or DeVilles may be especially impressed.

Date: June 26, 2008 15:59

Spud do you think that might work for my Super 60?

NickB

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 26, 2008 22:04

thanks Nick. Actually I think it's a 4x10 he uses (by THD), but he may have the impedance set to 8 ohms, incorrectly.

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: September 15, 2008 18:39

Simply the Best.

www.swartamps.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-15 20:20 by Roadster32.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home