Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Who at the Nassau Coliseum on 3/11/07
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 12, 2007 14:13

Did anyone happen to catch this show? I so desperately wanted to go. I am very much into the Who now, and want to know all about them. I realize I'm coming to them rather late, since I've been a Stones fan since 13, and I'm kicking myself for all the opportunities I had to catch them on this tour.

Do you think there is a chance that they will come back to the states after Europe?

Is there 1 definitive book on the band that someone could recommend to me?

Thanks!

Re: The Who at the Nassau Coliseum on 3/11/07
Date: March 12, 2007 14:36

They kicked off this U.S. Tour on 12th September in Philadelphia and apart from a Christmas/January break have been there since. Perhaps unlikely they will return Stateside fo a while.....

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: March 12, 2007 15:01

VoodooLounge13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did anyone happen to catch this show? I so
> desperately wanted to go. I am very much into the
> Who now, and want to know all about them. I
> realize I'm coming to them rather late, since I've
> been a Stones fan since 13, and I'm kicking myself
> for all the opportunities I had to catch them on
> this tour.
>
> Do you think there is a chance that they will come
> back to the states after Europe?
>
> Is there 1 definitive book on the band that
> someone could recommend to me?
>
> Thanks!

There are several very good books about The Who around.Dave Marsh's Before I Get Old covers the band up to the first farewell tour of 1982. Very scholarly, but thorough. Unlike his Springsteen books, it's not remotely sycophantic and is incredibly well researched.

Maximum R n B by Richard Barnes is a lot more gossipy and less academic. It covers the period up to the second farewell tour (1989). again it's fairly critical, but you do get a lot more about the scandals, the hotel room wreckings and pete's near fatal drug and drink period.

I'd also recommend Anyhow, Anyway, Anywhere by Matt Kent - it's a coffee table book that's packed with detail. If you're a fan you'll want it. Otherwise, the first two are superb.

Date: March 12, 2007 15:17

Nikolai - thanks so much for book suggestions. I appreciate - I'm starting to go about finding all of the Who's CDs, some of which I'm finding are out of print or soon-to-be out of print...

Posted by: rich-wdc ()
Date: March 12, 2007 21:39

I saw THE WHO last week. Great, great show. They still rock -- very passionate, the riffs are wonderful, attitude is terrific. (And I had a "falling out" with them in 99 after a pretty bad concert -- so now I have resurrected my respect for the band.)

Also - openers on this leg of the tour, ROSE HILL DRIVE, cannot be missed.
Three guys, straight-up rock attitude, feel and look. Very Zeppelin-esque.

Posted by: BeantownBoss ()
Date: March 12, 2007 22:44

The who will be doing sheds this summer in August. I know they have some dates on hold as of right now.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: March 12, 2007 23:02

VoodooLounge13 Wrote:
> Nikolai - thanks so much for book suggestions. I
> appreciate - I'm starting to go about finding all
> of the Who's CDs, some of which I'm finding are
> out of print or soon-to-be out of print...

Which ones are going out of print?

As far as I know, they're going to be reissuing the following albums in expanded editions between 2007-2008:

The Who By Numbers - extra studio material, including the full band Blue Red & Grey, plus alternate mixes of Slip Kid etc; then there's a whole disc of live stuff too.

The Who Sell Out - expanded to include a disc of the Fillmore 1968 show (which was going to be issued as a live album prior to Tommy), properly mixed.

Quadrophenia - four CDs - the album, plus outtakes, plus portions of two live shows from 1973 and 1996. The last two Cds were meant to have been released in 1999.

If you're just starting out buying Who CDs, the ones I'd get without hesitation are:

Who's Next
Quadrophenia
The Who Sell Out
Live at Leeds
Tommy

Those are, arguably, their masterpieces. That said, I've been listening to The Who By Numbers A LOT recently. I got into The who when I was 11 and didn't like it much then. Now that I'm 40, losing my hair, waistline and the little looks I had, I'm appreciating it more and more. Lol. It's a very dark album (despite Squeezebox), full of personal recrimination and self-doubt. Daltrey is at his snarling best and Townshend's lyrics are searing, more world-weary than angry. Plus Gazza likes it, so you know it must be good. I'd put it up there with those classic, dark night of the soul albums - Tonight's The Night, Berlin, Blood on the Tracks and Nebraska. Dave Marsh is very very good on Townshend's post-Quadrophenia crisis.

Posted by: COUSINLOU ()
Date: March 13, 2007 04:40

I WAS AT THE SHOW. THEY WERE ROCKIN. AWESOME EXTENDED VERSION OF MY GENERATION, WON'T GET FOOLED AGAIN WAS OFF THE HOOK. NEW ACOUSTIC STUFF WAS VERY GOOD AND SOUNDED CRISP. THE BOX OFFICE STILL HAD TICKETS FOR SALE ON THE DAY OF THE SHOW. DEFINITELY WORTH CHECKING THEM OUT. ZACH STARKEY WAS PLAYING HIS ASS OFF AND TOWNSEND WAS AWESOME.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 13, 2007 06:50

Nikolai Wrote:
> VoodooLounge13 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nikolai - thanks so much for book suggestions.
> I
> > appreciate - I'm starting to go about finding
> all
> > of the Who's CDs, some of which I'm finding are
> > out of print or soon-to-be out of print...
>
>
> Which ones are going out of print?
>
> As far as I know, they're going to be reissuing
> the following albums in expanded editions between
> 2007-2008:
>
> The Who By Numbers - extra studio material,
> including the full band Blue Red & Grey, plus
> alternate mixes of Slip Kid etc; then there's a
> whole disc of live stuff too.
>
> The Who Sell Out - expanded to include a disc of
> the Fillmore 1968 show (which was going to be
> issued as a live album prior to Tommy), properly
> mixed.
>
> Quadrophenia - four CDs - the album, plus
> outtakes, plus portions of two live shows from
> 1973 and 1996. The last two Cds were meant to
> have been released in 1999.
>
> If you're just starting out buying Who CDs, the
> ones I'd get without hesitation are:
>
> Who's Next
> Quadrophenia
> The Who Sell Out
> Live at Leeds
> Tommy
>
> Those are, arguably, their masterpieces. That
> said, I've been listening to The Who By Numbers A
> LOT recently. I got into The who when I was 11
> and didn't like it much then. Now that I'm 40,
> losing my hair, waistline and the little looks I
> had, I'm appreciating it more and more. Lol.
> It's a very dark album (despite Squeezebox), full
> of personal recrimination and self-doubt. Daltrey
> is at his snarling best and Townshend's lyrics are
> searing, more world-weary than angry. Plus Gazza
> likes it, so you know it must be good. I'd put it
> up there with those classic, dark night of the
> soul albums - Tonight's The Night, Berlin, Blood
> on the Tracks and Nebraska. Dave Marsh is very
> very good on Townshend's post-Quadrophenia crisis.

Nikoli,
Where did you read about the upcoming reissues? I am very excited by the prospect of a four disc Quadrophenia. For me that is Townshend stunning masterpiece and totally blows Tommy away. I would love official live material from that tour,and outakes.

Date: March 13, 2007 14:20

Nikolai,
The ones that I seem to think are out of print are Hooligans, Blues to the Bush (an internet only cd), and Two's Missing. Perhaps I misspoke with my going out of print comment, and I should have said are near impossible to find - like Magic Bus and the original 1 ball on the cover version of Tommy w/ the London Symphony.

I am just getting into the Who's cds at age 31. Considering I've been immersed in the stones for 18 years, I'd say I'm darned late the Who. lol I had My Generation - the very best of, but that didn't have my 2nd favorite song of theirs (Behind Blue Eyes), so I had to pick up Who's Next, which positively BLEW me away. I couldn't believe 1 album could be that good. I mean I put it right up there with anyone our boys have done. I couldn't stop listening to it for a long time - drove my wife nuts.

I really wish I could have caught them on this tour - my only hope is that they come back to the US. Course then I'd still have to find someone to go with because the Mrs. doesn't like the Who. lol

I have Quadrophenia & Maxium R&B too now - those are both pretty good, and I'm awaiting Join Together, Live at the Isle of Wight, A Quick One, Who's Missing, Who's Last, Live From Toronto, Magic Bus, Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy, I'm A Boy, Exciting the Who, and Live From the Royal Albert Hall - I can't wait!!! And I've gotten a lot of their solo stuff too.

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: March 13, 2007 15:05

Much better in September at the garden. "So so" show

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1818
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home