Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Robin Trower
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: March 11, 2007 01:29

Who likes this guy's signature guitar style? I bought a couple of the albums way back when, and did see the lineup that produced "Bridge of Sighs" and "Long Misty Days" in concert. No theatrics, no pomp, no showboating.

If you're a fan of the Stratocaster, you know who he is.

Yes, he's from the Hendrix school, but I loved his wall of sound approach, which didn't assault the senses with light-speed solos, but instead filled the arena with waves of wah-wah, sustain and distortion.

He was one of my 70s guitar heroes. Also, I enjoyed the voice of the late James Dewar, who was the bassist/lead vocalist in the Robin Trower Trio.

Re: OT Robin Trower
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 11, 2007 01:39

I like the guy. He plays about every year in my town and still draws a sellout crowd.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 11, 2007 01:48

Didn't he have a song "Too Rolling Stoned" ?

Date: March 11, 2007 02:28

Koen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Didn't he have a song "Too Rolling Stoned" ?

Yes.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 11, 2007 04:49

I saw Robin Trower for the first time in April '06 in San Francisco. Great show. He still plays wonderful guitar. His singer now is Davey Pattison who used to be in Gamma,with Ronnie Montrose. He does a great job on the Trower songs.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: March 11, 2007 05:11

Very interesting you should bring this up.

So my mom came to pick me up from school for spring break, and I decided to drive the long drive. Tempted to put in the requisite 40 Licks, or a mix CD that I made of other Stones numbers, my mom whips out a Robin Trower greatest hits CD. I had never heard of him before. When we visited the Rock 'n' Roll hall of fame just before I went to school in the fall, she bought this CD there, and I must say, he's pretty good. I found his solo-ing to be alright, it didn't exactly catch my ear, but that's because I thought he was kind of drowned out in the mix. The CD has some live tracks on it as well, and his live persona is definitely better than studio.

Incidentally - do we have any IORR members here from Chicago? If so would they be at all interested in grabbing a drink since I just turned 21 a few weeks ago?

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: March 11, 2007 05:11

Did he have anything to do with Les Dudeck (or wathever)??.
a guitar friend of mine goes crazy whenever Central Park gets played - anywhere.
but also - the friend is a brilliant guitarplayer.
I modded his Tele to his likes - and yeah, really suits him.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: March 11, 2007 12:45

Yes I remember that man..used to have a lp fom him live in Stockholm...i liked it...he was suportact on the Stones 1976 europe tour...was not he in Procol harum??

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: March 11, 2007 15:28

I saw Trower at Winterland in San Francisco, I believe in '74. He was absolutely tremendous. A 3-man band, that's it; their sound was superb.

He played virtually every one of his then numerous hits. He was seen as true rock royalty at the time - his Winterland shows sold out very quickly and a year or so later he headlined at Oakland Stadium (50,000 people).

Bridge of Sighs is a really special effort that has largely been ignored for the last 15 years or more; at some point the general R&R public is going to start remembering Robin Trower again - let's hope he's still around and healthy enough to take advantage when that happens. I know he still plays today; I heard a recent interpretation of 'Crossroads,' and it was definitely jammin'.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: March 11, 2007 19:33

they put out a remaster of Bridge of Sighs with a bunch of bonus tracks recorded live at a promo gig for the album (mid-'70's). very very fun.

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: March 11, 2007 23:16

Bridge of Sighs is one of my favorite albums of all time.

And the queen is bravely shouting,
"What the hell is going on?"

Date: March 11, 2007 23:47

One track that resides on my PC is "Long Misty Days". I love the sustain that Trower pulls off here. In the second verse, he plays a one-note drone that floats above what is basically a dirge. Very nice, minimalist and atmospheric.

That's one of the things that impresses me about him. He goes for "feel", rather than resorting to histrionics, or more vulgarly, "guitar wank".

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 12, 2007 01:20

My personal Trower favorite is, Victims of the Fury.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: March 12, 2007 02:39

Robin Trower is great, l saw him a couple of times at The Fillmore East in N.Y.C,always put on a great show,imho he gave Eic Clapton a run for his money as one of the best white guitar players.
At Pirate Bay you can find a great compilation of two of his greatest work."Twice remove from yesterday" and "Bridge Of Sights",also there is a Kings Biscuit live set from 1977.
ENJOY IT

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: March 12, 2007 09:51

rooster Wrote:
> Yes I remember that man..used to have a lp fom him
> live in Stockholm...i liked it...he was suportact
> on the Stones 1976 europe tour...was not he in
> Procol harum??

This is it, one of the best live albums there is. His guitar playing on this one is really fantastic. A friend of mine saw this concert - it was at Konserthuset in Stockholm - and he says it was incredible loud.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 12, 2007 16:36

I've never heard of him - was he in a band?

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: March 12, 2007 16:46

Yes, he was in Procol Harum way back when....

He was more blues-ish sounding then. After his move to solo became a little more Hendrix-sounding.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: March 12, 2007 18:00

excellent.......I've always loved his music......I listened to him a lot in the college dorms back in the 70's

Date: March 12, 2007 23:47

For a free live concert, go here: [tela.sugarmegs.org]

BTW, a live DVD was released in Feb 2006. It's a show performed on Robin's 60th birthday. I may pick that one up. Just $15 on Amazon.

Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: March 13, 2007 02:04

He was in Procul Harum but his solo record had nothinh to do with shades of pale.
I had a live lp that really rocked. If I'm correct Too Roilling Stoned was on it indeed.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: March 13, 2007 12:56

Svartmer Wrote:
> rooster Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yes I remember that man..used to have a lp fom
> him
> > live in Stockholm...i liked it...he was
> suportact
> > on the Stones 1976 europe tour...was not he in
> > Procol harum??
>
>
> This is it, one of the best live albums there is.
> His guitar playing on this one is really
> fantastic. A friend of mine saw this concert - it
> was at Konserthuset in Stockholm - and he says it
> was incredible loud.
>
> [i159.photobucket.com]
> rowerLive.jpg

Yes thats the one!!!Nice to see it again after all these years!And indeed ''to Rolling ''is on it!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-13 12:59 by rooster.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: March 13, 2007 13:20

I´m posting a song from the album for those of you who haven´t heard him. There´s nothing like a Stratocaster, a Marshall and the volume up to eleven.

[www.sendspace.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1859
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home