Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Wanna Hold You --> Two different versions?
Posted by: mrrockandroll ()
Date: February 14, 2007 17:31

I have two copies of the Undercover album: an old one (late 80s) and a new one (recently bought). On the old one Wanna Hold You starts with a strong guitar intro like you hear/see on the Bridges To Babylon DVD. On the new one, the song starts with the band playing and Keith + Background vocalists humming/crooning the intro. How come these different versions?????

Re: Wanna Hold You --> Two different versions?
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: February 14, 2007 18:04

My old album version does not include the verse that goes "you sure look good to me, so what's it gonna be, it's up to you to choose, I'll make you an offer, you can't refuse".

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 14, 2007 18:43

the original LP and cassette versions were different, with the cassette version featuring the extra verse.

The Virgin CD reissue has the longer version - I'd need to go and dig out my original CBS version of the CD, but I think the version on that one has the "original LP" edit.

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: February 14, 2007 18:48

Yes there are two versions as Gazza wrote. The shorter version (3:13) was on the original LP + CD (the CD is very rare now) on EMI and the longer version (3:50) was only on the original musicassette (EMI). On later LP and CD releases (CBS, Virgin) they used the long version, so the short one is hard to find today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-14 18:50 by midnrambler.

Date: February 14, 2007 18:52

The only CD with the short version is the EMI version? Never owned that one. Thanks for clarifying.

Like you say, it must be quite rare as that was their last EMI album before CBS took over the back catalogue and reissued them all in the late 80's.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 14, 2007 18:57

They originally released two versions Cindy's album version (version IV according to Dieter Hoffmann, 3.13 min) and the other on the official cassette (#III, 3.50 min). And so I had to buy both but therefore I didn't have to make a copy for my car stereo...
Both running times are not toooo long to cut the track to fit on the album's side. Actually with the long version both sides would have run almost identically (about 22.25 min).
Maybe the lyrics didn't fit as he was confessing his (this time) true love to her. Probably somebody made a mistake and it got released on cassette. There was a similar story about Heart Of Stone (US and UK versions differ)?!

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: February 14, 2007 19:09

Perhaps the best version is the acoustic bootleg studio version.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 14, 2007 19:13

>> the acoustic bootleg studio version <<

you mean the one from the so-called Honeymoon Tapes?
recorded in a hotel room, not a studio - and yeah that one is strong

Date: February 14, 2007 19:13

think theres two edits of Heart of Stone. The demo version released on Metamorphosis is different for sure as well. Jimmy Page may even be on that one.

Time Is On My Side has two different mixes as well - one of them features an organ intro, one a guitar & organ

The versions of Everybody needs somebody to love, though are the real oddity. The version issued on "The Rolling Stones No.2" was a longer take, with the shorter take issued on the US album "Now" being a studio run through that was released by mistake.

Posted by: pay pay ()
Date: February 14, 2007 20:29

I bought Under Cover today,it has the 3:12 version of Wanna Hold You.Seems like the longer version would be better,though.

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: February 14, 2007 22:54

Aren't there two different versions of "I'm free", too? I thought I read something like that somewhere. I'm not sure, but the versions on More Hot Rocks and The Singles Collection sound pretty similar to me, so where's the different one!?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 14, 2007 23:29

Nope Mac....I'm Free.....only one version

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Borna ()
Date: February 14, 2007 23:47

the same is with Slave and Luxury, they got 30+ seconds on cds

Date: February 15, 2007 08:50

Sorry, I mixed up Time Is On My Side with Heart Of Stone: organ and guitar intro story.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: February 15, 2007 14:22

Re I wanna hold you I checked my Virgin Cd and it's 3:12 long. I'm confused as I used to have the cassette but can't remember how long it was on the cassette.

NickB

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: February 16, 2007 11:51

NickB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Re I wanna hold you I checked my Virgin Cd and
> it's 3:12 long. I'm confused as I used to have the
> cassette but can't remember how long it was on the
> cassette.
>
> NickB

Virgin Artwork says that Keith wants to hold you for three minutes and twelve seconds but CD actually features the long version (at least on my Virgin copy).
To my ears the vinyl version is just a shorter edit of the long version. No added guitar intro.

Posted by: silkcut1978 ()
Date: February 16, 2007 12:57

There are two versions of "Sympathy For The Devil" as well, which is maybe the rarest one of them all in case you collect the original releases.

I'm actually moving to my new house these days and there's no need to try to find the LP, so I can't tell any details by now except for the fact that the demo-version is on the British Mono-release with the very first Matrix-number. On later Mono-releases the demo was replaced with the final version.

Years ago somebody told me that there's an early pressing of "Out Of Our Heads" (again UK DECCA) too, which included (a) demo-version(s). I was never able to confirm this as my Mono-releases are exactly the same as every other UK-version but I don't have each and every Matrix-version. Anybody ?

silkcut

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: February 16, 2007 21:28

I've read about the existence of a few edited versions of Sympathy.
Shorter versions, with one or two verses cut out. Nothing special it seems. Is this demo-version truly an alternate take?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 18, 2007 14:59

mrrockandroll, if/when you're around:
could you be more specific about the "old" Wanna Hold You that you mentioned in your first post?
do you mean it starts with an intro that's *only* guitar, no drums or vocals or anything?
which version of Undercover is it on - what format (CD? cassette? vinyl?), and what label?
there's a thread over on the Hot Stuff forum about it - [www.iorr.org] -
so if you could enlighten us that would be helpful, thanks.

Date: February 21, 2007 19:09

Dieter Hoffmann lists four versions for Wanna Hold You. #1 was Keith singing with Ronnie on the drums (3 guitars recorded). #2 has new lead vocal + new lead guitar plus a pedal steel guitar added. #3 (cassette release) has a new lead vocal once more, the original lead guitar (#1) remaining but the extra guitars from #2 wiped out. #4 (vinyl lp release) has the vocals we discussed erased.
#1 and 2 were done Nov/Dec 82, #3 and 4 June-Aug 83.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: January 13, 2018 12:09

CindyC
My old album version does not include the verse that goes "you sure look good to me, so what's it gonna be, it's up to you to choose, I'll make you an offer, you can't refuse".

Blasphemy.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 13, 2018 12:16

All rsre and bootleg versions incl. the new found rehearsal (Virchov Tape) are to be found on the 6CD set by Goldplate.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: January 13, 2018 13:12

Gazza
The only CD with the short version is the EMI version? Never owned that one. Thanks for clarifying.

Like you say, it must be quite rare as that was their last EMI album before CBS took over the back catalogue and reissued them all in the late 80's.
That EMI version is not that rare. Believe it or not 6 different stamplers were used to press European version CDP 7 46024 2 and at least 3 (but maybe 4) for Japanese black triangle version EMI-Toshiba CP35-3087. I would say, these are reasonably big numbers for the CD's that were pressed in 1983-1984. European 'silver' version is a relatively easy catch on ebay. Japanese black triangle with OBI is a different story.

And the short version can also be found on the recent Japanese only editions from 2014 onward. But be cautious - there is 2013 re-issue with 2009 mastering. So you have to know how to distinguish those 'Japanese only limited editions'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-13 13:13 by ironbelly.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 13, 2018 14:00

Monsoon Ragoon

All rsre and bootleg versions incl. the new found rehearsal (Virchov Tape) are to be found on the 6CD set by Goldplate.

It's the Goldplate GP-1701CD1-6CDSET - [dbboots.com] , Hot Stuff Japan (April 2017) .

List of all 'Wanna Hold You' - Bootlegs: [dbboots.com] .

ironbelly

And the short version can also be found on the recent Japanese only editions from 2014 onward. But be cautious - there is 2013 re-issue with 2009 mastering. So you have to know how to distinguish those 'Japanese only limited editions'

At least Universal Music Japan assigns always a new Catalog-Number (UIxx-xxxxx) for each new CD/SHM-CD/SACD edition - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] , [www.Discogs.com] .

Date: January 13, 2018 14:15

I bought the cassette in 1983, and was surprised when I got the vinyl album years later with a truncated version..

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: January 13, 2018 14:34

Checked. I have the 3.12 version.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 13, 2018 14:59

DandelionPowderman
I bought the cassette in 1983, and was surprised when I got the vinyl album years later with a truncated version..

That was my experience in reverse, had the US vinyl w/ truncated version for many years, and found out on a forum (possibly iorr) about the longer version w/ extra verse.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: January 13, 2018 14:59

Irix

ironbelly

At least Universal Music Japan assigns always a new Catalog-Number (UIxx-xxxxx) for each new CD/SHM-CD/SACD edition - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] , [www.Discogs.com] .
I know. But there are too many of those numbers winking smiley
Anyway, SACD-SHM UIGY-9084 and Platinum SHM UICY-40072 contain short version 3.15 for sure.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 13, 2018 16:25

ironbelly

I know. But there are too many of those numbers winking smiley

And the actual problem is: you cannot see at a first glance if they are the 2009 Masters or the 2011 Flat-Transfers ....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1543
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home