Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

question for BV
Posted by: lynn1 ()
Date: February 10, 2007 16:52

Your house, your rules....I get that, but...

Why all the sensitivity to politics, accounting etc when you allow downloading of boots on the site? Isn't that a bit hypocritical? In many corners of the political spectrum (even though no $ is changing hands) this would be considered on the gray line of what is acceptable. My personal opinion about your section to download is that I have no problem with it because through the years I have bought a lot of Stones material on less than robust media (tapes, 8 track and cds). I actually believe that I am entitled at this point because I have been sold products unable to stand the test of time.....Anyway how do you justify it? Isn't that unfair to the Stones? Is it consistent?

Re: question for BV
Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: February 10, 2007 17:00

He won't answer in public, I guess.
Send him a private eMail!

Posted by: keefkid ()
Date: February 10, 2007 17:04

i can answer the politics thing..

it just gets way too UGLY and nasty most of the time, i think its great bv deletes that stuff

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 10, 2007 17:12

Many messageboards do not allow discussion of politics or religion because people end up not respecting one another and it quickly degenerates into flame wars. I think the accounting thing was because he felt it was off topic and didn't want to litter the board with unnecessary posts not specifically about the Stones, but that's just a guess. However, as to allowing us to download from boots...how is he being hypocritical? It would be unfair to the Stones if he had a site where people paid to download their shows or buy unreleased songs or alternate versions. He runs a site where fans can get the bootlegs for free. The objection against bootlegs is that theives are profiting from material when the artist, label, songwriters, publishers do not. BV allows us to share the material thereby giving diehard fans what they want (everything) and not allowing thieves to profit off someone else's talent. He also allows official material that is no longer available to be downloaded rather than allowing people selling used CDs to offer them for outrageous prices and again profit unfairly. The only rule he enforces is that officially available material not be downloaded because that is stealing and is unfair to the Stones, Virgin, ABKCO, etc. Doesn't sound hypocritical at all to me and I would guess the Stones and their lawyers are well aware of it.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: February 10, 2007 17:19

What's the similarity of downloading boots and arguing politics? The Stones don't lose money on boots or make money on boots so what's the harm to them?

The political threads always wind up with pissed off people going off.

Posted by: ForeverFAH ()
Date: February 10, 2007 18:24

Free speech is suppressed here by the Stones Minister of Propaganda and it pisses people off. However, I think if people were allowed to spout off about anything people would be pissed off as well. It's a no win situation.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 10, 2007 19:33

If you look back to all the politics post it ends in a fight, you are left your right or in the middle if you want discusse this you should look look each other in they eye

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 10, 2007 19:37

I have to agree with everybody else. I totally support the no politics policy and I don't get the connection between politics and bootlegs. The music is supposed to be what this site is about. So trading music is the most fundamental part of IORR.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 10, 2007 20:26

As much as I would like to engage in some of those discussions, I would tend to agree that these issues bring out inevitable hostilities amoungst the participants. Not in every situation but in many.

As I have suggested before, I still would be in favor of a thread dedicated to just those discussions. These and some other topics should be designated a sole thread. Frequent regulars would relish the idea to kick a new door open to have casual conversations outside of interupting someones thread. Many members would just enjoy a little open conversation.

Again it BV's site and he has stated before that he despises the task of "cleaning up" messes. And messes do happen from time to time. Maybe he does not have sufficient bandwidth or desire to partake in such a task. The problem is so many topics have been rehashed over and over it has become difficult to come up with really interesting topics to generate considerable posts. Maybe someday people.

Posted by: lynn1 ()
Date: February 10, 2007 23:36

C'mon some of the Stones' finest work has been directly attributable to expressing the angst of the political environment at the time. The band is absolutely connected to the real world. That said, I agree that 99% of the population is unable to express political views without engaging in personal attacks which is downright sad--even true for members of the IORRean tribe!

As far as connecting the dots from downloads to politics, I would clarify the point that it is a little hypocritical to insist on the one hand that certain topics are off limits while simultaneously arguing that one's version of bootleg transfer is totally acceptable. The transfer of digital files is a political/business/real world issue. No one cares about audience recordings? Then why do they tell us that it is prohibited to record the show before it starts? CD quality bootlegs are ok because it doesn't infringe direcly on a Stones recording label? So who actually owns the radio rebroadcast rights or the right to record and distribute the music/concert? Please!

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: February 11, 2007 00:30

What I am wondering is this: does anyone really care about this? I mean REALLY care. Bjornulf does his thing; we hang out and talk about the Stones, guitars and music. The philosophical pros and cons of boots...does anyone stay up at night wondering what Bjornulf's take on the matter is, and if this jives with his site?

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: February 11, 2007 00:44

NICOS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you look back to all the politics post it ends
> in a fight

Yeah, god forbid we did that. Maybe you spent too much time in Scandinavia too.

I am actually most disappointed with the removal of the Anna Nicole thread. After all the crap I got for saying I felt like eating raw horse meat on the "RIP Barbaro" thread, I was licking my chops at the prospect of posting something that would include BOTH necrophilia AND cannibalism smiling smiley

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 11, 2007 01:06

No politics at IORR...OK for me, even though FrankM and Beely had a interesting conversation some months ago, because it always gets into fighting and stupid rage, like if we we're talking about the 2nd world war.
But to share bootleg recordings...nobody has anything against that, apart from some kind of record-label-bible. BV is not responsible for the links people put up either. I don't see the connection. I don't download MP3s, but I think it's nice that people can listen to these recordings for free, instead of buying expensive bootleg-labels.
What's the connection between these 2 things? If you mean that everything should be a "perfect utopia" at IORR, then BV would have to do a lot of work...ban all the posters with a low IQ or a wierd sex life and get rid of all pictures uploaded here becuase we don't owe the rights of those pics, etc etc

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: February 11, 2007 01:16

if low iq's and a weird sex lives start to be entrace requirement criteria,err....
where does that leave me? this is not a question i want answered thank you.
never mind...i have to loosen somebody's cuffs now
brb....

Date: February 11, 2007 01:18

Say hello to Cindy from me, Beely!

Date: February 11, 2007 01:19

Raoul Duke Wrote:
> NICOS Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If you look back to all the politics post it
> ends
> > in a fight
>
> Yeah, god forbid we did that. Maybe you spent too
> much time in Scandinavia too.
>
> I am actually most disappointed with the removal
> of the Anna Nicole thread. After all the crap I
> got for saying I felt like eating raw horse meat
> on the "RIP Barbaro" thread, I was licking my
> chops at the prospect of posting something that
> would include BOTH necrophilia AND cannibalism smiling smiley

Only the word Politics is enough to start quarrel.

Thanks I love Scandinavia

Date: February 11, 2007 01:33

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> Say hello to Cindy from me, Beely!

lol, uh oh...she's gonna kick BOTH our asses now...
i'm changin' my screen name before monday...dang erik!!

i told her i would NEVER be her beast of burden
she laughed laughed well she nearly died
showed her the back of my hand she said oh look what the cat dragged in...
she's a dangerous beauty; it's rough justice on me
i just hope she lets me down real slow.

Date: February 11, 2007 01:38

And don't drive to fast beely

Date: February 11, 2007 01:45

thanks nicos, i think i just made the biggest mistake of my life.
____ _____ ______

btw, didn't mean to disrepect the actual theme of the thread or the ongoing posts; or the serious intent of the dialouge.
no hijack intended.

saw a quick chance for a cheap joke and folded like a shirt.
shoulda known; hmmmmm, maybe there's some way i can blame this on Erik.

Date: February 11, 2007 01:46

Don't blame it on me, blame it on the stones

Date: February 11, 2007 01:52

don't start me up with those clinton lovers...
oooopsss...

Date: February 11, 2007 01:55

Don't blame it on sunshine
Don't blame it on moonlight
Don't blame it on Erik_Snow
Blame it on the boogie

Date: February 11, 2007 02:01

This is taking an unsuspected turn, maybe we should post some funny pictures, to make it perfect ?

Date: February 11, 2007 02:04

Cat fight
[media.skoopy.com]

Date: February 11, 2007 02:07

...uh oh...i better get out of this thread...
got to get an errand done anyway; WHERE'S THE KEYS TO THE BLIMP CINDY????
seeeyyaaaaaa....

Date: February 11, 2007 02:16

Have a safe trip, stay away from republ....

Date: February 11, 2007 02:19

plenty of dicks in both parties believe me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-11 02:23 by Beelyboy.

Date: February 11, 2007 02:28

Beelyboy Wrote:
> plenty of dicks in both parties believe me.

Oh yes, I'm not taking sides, it was just to start a discussion! :V)

> very cool cat fight; i watched every round...
> disagree with the decision; 2nd round started
> FURIOUS...

I noticed that too....Cognac was the leader in this fight, but maybe it was the number of "hits" that made the winner, and BJ had a quick one...but one can a poor boy do....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-11 02:43 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: JoeHill ()
Date: February 11, 2007 08:37

Concerning downloading of Stones boots. Some artist care about boots. Some do not and in fact appears to build their fan base (Bob Dylan, Greatful Dead, etc.) I put the Stones in this camp. Numerous Stones interviews they have conveyed they do not care about boots, just don't pay too much money (or any) for that matter. There is a boot of Mick buying boots in NYC. If the Stones really cared, they would have expressed concern or stopped it a long time ago. The world/technology changes...now people are not at the mercy of Stones bootleggers..but free music shares...with no interest of the almightly buck...I had a number of my tapes bootlegged without permission...

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1917
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home