Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Performance" Showing In NYC This Weekend
Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: February 10, 2007 01:00

February 9, 2007 -- Mick Jagger found satisfaction as an actor in "Performance'' (1970), directed by Nicolas Roeg and Donald Cammell. Jagger plays a fading rock star whose London house is invaded by an on-the-lam mobster (James Fox). Anita Pallenberg (pictured with Jagger) is compelling as one of the rocker's two female housemates (Michele Breton plays the other). "Performance'' unreels this weekend at Lincoln Center's Walter Reade Theater as part of a retro salute to Cammell, who committed suicide in 1966, spending the final 45 minutes of his life watching his life fade away in a mirror held by his wife.

Re: "Performance" Showing In NYC This Weekend
Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: February 10, 2007 02:33

Thanks!!! I have Performance on DVD but I've never seen it on the BIG screen so I may go.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: February 10, 2007 04:18

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 10, 2007 04:41

Mick Jagger filming Performance - London October 1968 - Baron Wolman

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: February 10, 2007 12:26

if someone goes to the theatre, maybe they could comment a little on how things went; leave some impressions here? ty.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: February 10, 2007 12:29

custom55 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks!!! I have Performance on DVD but I've
> never seen it on the BIG screen so I may go.

I've been looking for it for years...still haven't found what I'm looking for...or - actually - I've seen on play.com that a new version is expected in March of this year (or was it May?) ;-)

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: February 10, 2007 17:38

Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: February 10, 2007 18:56

i can't go and have never seen it before, but i think they are re-releasing the DVD in April....

Date: February 10, 2007 23:41

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: February 11, 2007 00:00

12 March is release date according to Amazon:

Performance [1970]
DVD ~ Michelle Breton

(2 customer reviews)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RRP: £16.99
Price: £12.74 & eligible for Free UK delivery on orders over £15 with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions
You Save: £4.25 (25%)

Availability: This title will be released on March 12, 2007. Pre-order now! Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 11, 2007 00:13

Feb. 13 is the release date in the US.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: February 11, 2007 00:55

i saw it in a theater about 5 years ago in NYC. it was great to see it on the big screen. every time i see it i seem to understand it a little more!

Date: February 11, 2007 01:23

[videowatchdog.blogspot.com]

More Words on PERFORMANCE

Warner Home Video's forthcoming DVD of PERFORMANCE is the most beautiful, comprehensive, and comprehensible presentation of the film I've ever seen... but.

Truly, the quality of image and sound is a revelation, and the disc provides a most welcome subtitling option (like the audio, in English only) that clarifies all that the ear cannot easily interpret. The subtitles aren't always perfect, though: when Chas (James Fox) calls his nephew "good boy" on the telephone, the subtitle reads "goodbye," even though they continue talking; there are other faux pas as well, yet somehow "Orbis Tertius" is spelled correctly. Unfortunately, as often happens with DVD subtitles, the song lyrics are not transcribed; they may, however, be present in the closed captioning.

The audio is given a particular boon by the clear digital separation of the dialogue and music/effects tracks, which allow the music in the film to stand out and sparkle (I'm now much more aware of music cues in the film that were not included on the album), and the dialogue to be heard separately from the sounds that have heretofore bled into it, making it more easily understood even without the subtitles. Never before have I followed the details of the plot so well. Never before did I catch the reference to "Mick" before Chas shoots the man who beat him in his apartment, the one time Chas calls Turner "Nick," or Pherber's suggestion that they call "Dr. Burroughs." (Isn't he "the man who works the Soft Machine"?)

The tragic "but" to which I referred in my opener is a very irritating and needless one. During the "Memo from Turner" sequence, when Turner (Mick Jagger) raises a glass in a toast and cries "Here's to Old England!" (reprising an earlier line of Harry Flowers, played by Johnny Shannon), his lips move... but... no sound comes out! Other dialogue heard during the song is intact, so why not this? Boo, hiss.

This mistake aside, I had the feeling while watching this disc that it might be the first time I have ever seen PERFORMANCE at the correct projection speed. Everything about the picture seemed a semi-tone lower in register, more comprehensively paced. As I noted yesterday, there's a difference in running time over the previous Warner PAL VHS and NTSC laserdisc releases that amounts to an additional 6 seconds. At present, I can't be sure of where all those seconds occur, but the main titles seemed more revealing than I remembered them, so I took the time to write out a cutting continuity of the title sequence, as it appears on the new disc, and compared it to the shots that open the British tape. I found two brief shots omitted from that earlier continuity; there is an additional shot of Ann Sidney naked between the legs of James Fox and a followup cutaway to the Rolls-Royce, placed immediately prior to a similar shot that shows Fox rocking Sidney from side to side between his legs -- to be blunt, the shot of her giving him head prior to the shot of his orgasm. (The Rolls was removed only to maintain the editing rhythm established by the sequence, so that one Rolls shot wouldn't directly cut to another -- thus tipping the audience off that something had been removed.) Also, one of the shots included in the earlier continuity, also between Fox and Sidney, goes on some frames longer here, permitting a brief glimpse of Sidney's pubic hair. Also, this sex scene was darkened considerably in all earlier presentations, but is brighter here, permitting more obvious glimpses of full frontal and rear nudity, by Fox as well as Sidney. Likewise, later in the film, when Pherber (Anita Pallenberg) is filming Turner as he sleeps nude and covers his genetalia with his hands, a single frame is intact showing Jagger's testicles.

The featurettes are very good. The longer one is about a good deal more than just the film's censor problems; in fact, it hardly touches on them. It's more of an overview of the film's development and production, and an appreciation of its current status. The interviewees include star Anita Pallenberg, producer Sanford Lieberman, associate producer David Cammell, Jack Nietsche Jr. (son of the film's late music supervisor), and author Colin McCabe. The "Memo from Turner" piece does attend to the behind-the-scenes of filming that sequence, and features some neat footage of Cammell directing Jagger, as well as shots not in the final assembly. The trailer is in mint condition.

How the producers of this disc could have been sharp enough to track down millimeters of never-before-seen footage to include in this gorgeous assembly, making it the most complete and brilliant-looking version of PERFORMANCE ever, yet so careless as to mute an important (at least resonant) line of dialogue, I can't explain. I hate to rain on this release over something so minor, especially when it accomplishes so much else, but the error is minor only in length; anyone who already knows this movie is going to miss that line, and wince in pain when they discover it for themselves.

I'd still recommend this disc very highly. If you haven't seen PERFORMANCE, you must; if you're already among the converted, you know you'll have to get this -- just resign yourself to the fact that this won't be the last time we line up to buy this title.

PERFORMANCE streets on February 13.
Copyright by Tim Lucas.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: February 11, 2007 06:56

who is the third woman in the tub?

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: February 11, 2007 07:20

I believe that is Michelle Brenton.

Date: February 11, 2007 07:42

i'd like very much to be in that tub...

i understand the following book explains all the symbols/meaning of the movie:

[cgi.ebay.com]

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: February 11, 2007 07:51

why did the guys wife hold the mirror when he commited suicide?

john scialfa

Date: February 11, 2007 09:38

i didn't read the book yet...anyone else read it?

Date: February 11, 2007 14:21

I can recommend the BFI book on PERFORMANCE by Colin MacCabe but I don't know the one referenced above. BTW I think there are only 2 women in that tub : )

Date: February 12, 2007 13:59

Lay-out of tiles is very effective......

ROCKMAN

Date: February 12, 2007 22:40

James Fox.....Mick Jagger on the set of Performance 17 September 1968 - Daily Mail

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 12, 2007 22:45

That's 2 wierd photos

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-12 22:47 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: February 12, 2007 22:45

Rockman Wrote:
> [i9.photobucket.com]
> IMMERBOY%202/GLIMMERBOY%203/GLIMMERBOY4/NICETILES.
> jpg
>
> Lay-out of tiles is very effective......

You were looking at the tiles Rockman?? winking smiley

The tiles may be efective but I see the de-cluttering your home idea had yet to catch on - they must have had every bubble bath and shampoo in the shop! smiling smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 12, 2007 23:02

I wonder what the muted line of dialogue is!?

Good page about Donald here: [www.phinnweb.org]

But oh my...

"Brando and Cammell had kept in touch, but they fell out spectacularly in 1974 when Cammell fell for China Kong, the 14-year-old daughter of one of Brando's lovers. Cammell used to pick China up from school and take her out on little trips to the desert. Sometimes he'd even forge notes to keep her away for the whole day, and they began a completely illicit affair, which could easily have landed Cammell in jail. They married in 1978, when China turned 18."

:/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-12 23:10 by His Majesty.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 12, 2007 23:14

backstreetboy Wrote:
> why did the guys wife hold the mirror when he
> commited suicide?

When Cammell's 1995 film Wild Side was cut by the producer, he committed suicide by shooting himself, though his wife claimed the wound was not immediately fatal, and that he asked for a mirror so that he could watch himself die. (This is disputed in the published Cammell bioraphy.) A posthumous "director's cut", commissioned by FilmFour, and edited by his widow and co-screenwriter China Kong and editor Frank Mazzola, was released in 2000 to critical acclaim.
wiki

btw, theres a small but tripping typo in initial post...
>>Cammell, who committed suicide in 1966<<

Date: February 12, 2007 23:19

ROCKMAN

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 12, 2007 23:34

>> I wonder what the muted line of dialogue is!? <<

>> The tragic "but" to which I referred in my opener is a very irritating and needless one.
During the "Memo from Turner" sequence, when Turner (Mick Jagger) raises a glass in a toast and cries
"Here's to Old England!" (reprising an earlier line of Harry Flowers, played by Johnny Shannon),
his lips move... but... no sound comes out! Other dialogue heard during the song is intact, so why not this? Boo, hiss. <<

Date: February 12, 2007 23:40

ROCKMAN

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 13, 2007 06:43

with sssoul Wrote:
> >> I wonder what the muted line of dialogue is!?
> <<
>
> >> The tragic "but" to which I referred in my
> opener is a very irritating and needless one.
> During the "Memo from Turner" sequence, when
> Turner (Mick Jagger) raises a glass in a toast and
> cries
> "Here's to Old England!" (reprising an earlier
> line of Harry Flowers, played by Johnny Shannon),
>
> his lips move... but... no sound comes out! Other
> dialogue heard during the song is intact, so why
> not this? Boo, hiss. <<

I should read more...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1869
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home