Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones and Sgt. Pepper
Posted by: IgotDbluez ()
Date: February 6, 2007 03:49

This was in our local paper yesterday...got a kick out of it!

Mary Anne May's entry in a contest to meet the Rolling Stones in 1965 ended up on the iconic Beatles cover.

'Sgt. Pepper' has Memphis connection
By Leanne Kleinmann

February 4, 2007

"It was twenty years ago today, Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play ..."

Just those words can start die-hard Beatles fans, from middle school to middle age, singing through the iconic songs on what Rolling Stone magazine called the "most important rock 'n' roll album ever made."

From the concept to the music to the cover art, "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" was groundbreaking. It's also 40 years old this year, an anniversary that's contributing to a storm in the blogosphere about exactly what Apple, creator of the iPod, is going to announce tonight with its ad during the Super Bowl.

But back to "Sgt. Pepper," and that psychedelic album cover. There are the boys, John, Paul, George and Ringo, in their Day-Glo satin military coats. There's an army of cardboard cut-outs of people the Beatles admired, from Bob Dylan to Sigmund Freud. And there, in the far right corner, is a slouching Shirley Temple doll, wearing a striped shirt that says, "WMPS Good Guys Welcome the Rolling Stones."

The sweater was the creation of Mary Anne May, at the time a senior at Immaculate Conception High School. WMPS, a big AM-radio station in town, had a contest to win a chance to meet the Stones at their 1965 concert at the Coliseum.

May, a big fan, was determined to win, so she "bought a kids striped shirt at the dollar store." Mick Jagger was wearing striped shirts a lot onstage then, she pointed out. She stitched the letters on and hoped for the best.

Her dream came true, and during intermission, she went backstage, holding her contest-winning creation. "Is this for me?" asked Jagger, taking the shirt. That's the last she saw of it.

It eventually made its way to Peter Blake, the British Pop artist behind the Sgt. Pepper cover. May found out her shirt had made the big time when someone at WMPS spotted it on the album cover in the summer of 1967.

"I rushed over to Pop Tunes to have a look," she said, but she still had to save up her money to buy the album. (She no longer has her copy.)

Tonight, Apple may announce that, at long last, the Beatles catalog will be available to download from iTunes. "When I'm Sixty-Four," "With a Little Help from My Friends," "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds," all there, 40 years later, as digital music files.

Mary Anne May is now an elementary school art teacher who still lives in Memphis. Of her shirt's brush with fame: "I have no idea where it is now. I'd love to have it back."

Re: Stones and Sgt. Pepper
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 6, 2007 04:22

Here ya go Mary Ann...if ya here readin'...

Paul McCartney - Adam Cooper - Geoge Harrison........Photo Michael Cooper Blinds & Shutters

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: February 6, 2007 04:29

I had never realized that it said WMPS AM-79. That's cool. Thanks for pointing that out

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: February 6, 2007 05:17

that's Dion (looks like the 'ruby baby' LP cover photo) right next to macca's right shoulder,
just above and to the right of the cowboy with the big white hat (tom mix?)
yo dion!!

very cool bg vokes on dandelion beatboyz! (generally the same time period, no?)

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 6, 2007 11:57

Stones made their Sgt Pepper with 'Their Satanic...', and it's not good. Only Dirty Work is weaker...

2 1 2 0

Date: February 6, 2007 14:15

So the entire top 10 in the download charts next week will be the Fab Four!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 6, 2007 14:19

Come On Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stones made their Sgt Pepper with 'Their
> Satanic...', and it's not good. Only Dirty Work is
> weaker...

Maybe it's time to sttart kicking this in the head, TSMR has many good moments, far from being their weakest album.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: February 7, 2007 17:35

And both albums are reflections on its time,
neither a copy of the other...

Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: February 7, 2007 17:43

Not sure, but I seem to recall that doll with the Stones sweater being up for auction on Ebay awhile back.

Date: February 9, 2007 12:02

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 9, 2007 14:44

thansk Rockman.

Always liked Dion. His latest album "Bronx in Blue" is absolutely superb - well worth checking out

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: February 9, 2007 14:53

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 9, 2007 15:22

Compared to TSMR a album like BLACK & BLUE is a brilliant Must Have...

HEY NEGRITA HERE AND THEN....

2 1 2 0

Date: February 9, 2007 23:14

Sgt Pepper Anniversay Edition MOJO 160 - March 2007

ROCKMAN

Date: February 9, 2007 23:16

wow!! thanx rockman! that dion post was incredible...really appreciate that post And pic!! LOVED the quote...
dion blows me away one more time. ty.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-09 23:18 by Beelyboy.

Date: February 9, 2007 23:48

Pleasure...Beely...Gazza...might be worth checking
the Dion interview in Record Collector February 2007...interesting

Seems like Bronx In Blue has only just been released in the UK.....

ROCKMAN

Date: February 9, 2007 23:59

Sgt Pepper Anniversay Edition MOJO 160 - March 2007

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 10, 2007 00:26

flower Power Rockman........................thanks

Date: February 10, 2007 00:37

Rockman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Seems like Bronx In Blue has only just been
> released in the UK.....

well that's just great; i think UK rockers will especially appreciate this, probably moreso than the general american public...this level of acoustic blues playing, and natural supple swagger is very highly double awesome.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1984
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home