Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT-Zepplin to tour US summer 07
Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: February 1, 2007 03:03

I really doubt it 100% as Plant has always kept his word they won't reform and replacing the drummer isn't in the books and won't be the real thing. So everyone get out your Plant solo cds and play them loud as that's the closet you're gonna get I think.

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: February 1, 2007 03:11

Oh--do not get me wrong--I PRAY it is arena tour--who needs to go to a stadium--better than nothing.........but not by much. That is true for any band--I had a GREAT time at Giants Stadium during Licks and the sound quality and performance were both very good, but it was really more of a party with a bunch of my friends than an indoor show--for example at an indoor show I would never leave my seat to get a beer--at an outdoor show, whole different ball game.

I too am skeptical, this seems to fly in the face of all of Plant's recent public statements where he made it pretty clear he did not feel the need to have any sort of reunion--obvuiously Page would do it in a heartbeat and has said so. Given his comments about being left out of Plant/Page I presume JPJ would be interested.

I thought if this was going to happen they would have done it back in '03/04 when there was that whole Zep rebirth going on. That said, I will go.

If.....it really happens.

Quadruple platium in a month is really pretty sick if you think about it...Though I thought Page did an UNBELIEVABLE job on both the dvd and even more so imo, the cd which I put up there with any live record I have ever heard in terms of sound quality and how well the band plays. That and Ya Yas are my 2 all-time favorite live releases (official).

I do not understand why all these kids who were not even born when Zep ended fans--crazy if you think about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-01 03:14 by Glass Slide.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 1, 2007 04:48

OK, let's assume the Lead Balloon flies again this summer.

Will it be a bare-bones band, or will we see an extra guitarist (or two), backup vocals, or maybe even a dedicated keyboardist to relieve JPJ of doing double duty?

I prefer bare-bones or maybe just a second guitar to round things out.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 1, 2007 04:50

Edith Grove Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK, let's assume the Lead Balloon flies again this
> summer.
>
> Will it be a bare-bones band, or will we see an
> extra guitarist (or two), backup vocals, or maybe
> even a dedicated keyboardist to relieve JPJ of
> doing double duty?
>
> I prefer bare-bones or maybe just a second guitar
> to round things out.

If they bill themselves as Led Zeppelin. I would think it would be pretty bare bones. I don't think they ever used backup singers. An extra rhythm guitarist might be a possibilty.

Date: February 1, 2007 04:59

Ok--I am REALLY convinced this is total, unadulterated BS.

I went over to led-zeppelin.com and on their message board they
are LAUGHING at this--apparently there is an article from the Sun out there
but; 1) It is the Sun 2) If you look at what it says, "22 years after they broke up..." that would make the article 4-5 yrs old since they "broke up" in 1980.

Secondly--there is a theory that this rumor (and this makes sense given the initial post) that this is a rumor started by Clear Channel to get ratings for
their fleet of classic rock stations.

Plus, think about this---Page supposedly is going to release a solo record--why on earth would he do that if "Led Zeppelin" was reforming--makes no sense.

Clear Channel should not be pulling these low rent stunts.

Of course, I would love to be wrong here; unfortunately I do not think I am.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 1, 2007 05:17

Glass Slide Wrote:

> Page supposedly is going
> to release a solo record--why on earth would he do
> that if "Led Zeppelin" was reforming--makes no
> sense.

Mick released Goddess In the Doorway shortly before the Licks tour. Perhaps he was expecting some spillover effect with the upcoming Stones tour to boost sales of his CD? BTW, I like Keith's idea for the CD title!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 1, 2007 05:20

Well first of all Clear Channel is Satan. But I don't think anybody took it seriously. Plus it's fun to kick around and I noticed there's a lot of Led fans on here.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: February 1, 2007 05:26

Well if that was Mick's plan, it failed rather spectacularly, didn't it? lol
Actually, I like that disc, but unfortunately for him, no one else really cared.

There is a difference between Page and Mick when it comes to solo records.

Mick--wanted to do solo records regardless of what the Stones were doing.

Page--I honestly do not think would ever had done a solo record if he could have kept laying with Plant. Maybe because he does not sing, I do not know.

I truly think this is nonsense promulgated by Clear Channel to creat buzz for their classic rock stations.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 1, 2007 05:52

Plant is recording a country-influenced record in Nashville. According to an interview in the Dec. issue of "Mojo" he's not in touch w/Page these days. This story appears to have been regurgitated from 4 years ago -- the Sun article states:

"Robert, 54, Jimmy, 58, and 56-year-old John Paul"

when in fact Robert is now 58, Page is 63, and Jones is 61.

Date: February 1, 2007 05:57

Exactly, it also says the band "broke up 22 years ago" which dates the article as 2002-2003.

Plus I read an article with Plant a couple of yrs ago (possibly Mojo) where he said something like "Page thinks the future of western civilization as we know know it is dependent on a Zeppelin reunion and I fail to see it in those terms"

Hard to see that guy (who DEFINTELY does not need the $) doing a 180 some 18 mths later.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 1, 2007 06:20

In a recent article/interview in a rock mag with Page, he was asked what he would say if Robert called him up for a Zep reunion. Jimmy's reply..."are you sure you have the right number?"

Doesn't sound very promising.

Date: February 1, 2007 06:32

Hairball Wrote:
> In a recent article/interview in a rock mag with
> Page, he was asked what he would say if Robert
> called him up for a Zep reunion. Jimmy's
> reply..."are you sure you have the right number?"
>

That is HYSTERICAL!! Page has a very dry sense of humor.

More importantly (and unfortunately) that really sums it up.

Shame on Clear Channel--at the end of the day, that is who I blame--after all the Sun article is 5 yrs old and the statute of limitations on it's foolishness has passed. Clear Channel is obviously desperate for ratings.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: February 1, 2007 06:39

will Bonzo's son play drums?....I haven't been reading the posts...

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: February 1, 2007 06:59

Clear Channel has surley done everything in their power to ruin RnR. But this guy is in the Booking aspect of the company. He has no connection what so ever to radio. I don't really see the connection. If someone listens to classic rock, aren't they going to listen to the station that plays that genre? How does the rumor of a Zep reunion boost ratings or advertising revenue?

Date: February 1, 2007 07:11

Oh I think if Zeppelin were to actually reunite and go on tour, it would create tremendous buzz for classic rock radio---it would make them relevant to what is going on currently--a position they rarely find themseleves in--though between the Stones, the last 2 yrs and reunions by the Police and VH it is probably been far better than normal. Add in U2 to that as well.

Listen, I hope your friend is right, it is just REALLY hard to believe given the overwhelming amount of evidence to the contrary.

At this point I need something FAR more believable than some someone from Clear Channel---all the evidence points in the opposite direction.

Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: February 1, 2007 09:55

i had tickets to see the who with page and the crowes opening at msg back in 2000, page cancelled due to a back injury. they were replaced by the wallflowers - how lame. missed them but the who was great best who concert during the years 1982- 2003

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 1, 2007 10:37

I reckon it's all PROBABLY nonsense.

But given Zep's stature, I'm not sure whether they're to be admired or considered crazy for NOT doing it. It's a license to print money !

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: February 1, 2007 10:56

did anyone see "page and plant" in '98? it blew my mind and they played a lot of led zeppelin. i don't see why a reunion gig is not out of the question.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 6, 2007 15:08

OK here is another article about it - I really hope this happens, no matter the cost I will be there!!!!

[www.albumvote.co.uk]

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: February 6, 2007 15:24

Page isn't Page anymore.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: February 6, 2007 15:36

custom55 Wrote:
> Page isn't Page anymore.

Shit, who is he nowadays?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 6, 2007 15:38

They really need JPJ back in the fold - I'd pay good money (is there any other kind?) to see the 3 remaining guys.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 6, 2007 15:51

I've actually dragged out my Zep cds since 1st hearing of this, and while I always liked them, I was not the HUGE fanatical fan of theirs, as to me so many of their songs sound alike. And like with the Stones, there are those songs that I absolutely despise (Dazed and Confused, and The Song Remains the Same being the 2 main ones), but IV is one of the greatest albums of all-time, hands down top 10. And since I've started listening to them again, the prospect of actually going to see them has got me extremely excited!!!!

How bad do you think it could be ticketwise?? $400? $500?? It was said more than the Stones, and the Stones best were like $300-$350 - except for the floor seats in MSG - those were $500...

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: February 6, 2007 17:18

Svartmer Wrote:
> custom55 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Page isn't Page anymore.
>
> Shit, who is he nowadays?

He can't play.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 6, 2007 17:22

ehhhhh? rubbish.....

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 6, 2007 17:42

Just a thougt: do you think when launching licks tour from a yellow Zeppelin, the Stones did a a kind of unconcious lick to Led Zep? Do you think someone of their circle was aware of the collide of the two symbol : the tongue and the aircraft?

Maybe Armet was smiling...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 6, 2007 17:48

Interesting idea, Joker. Sure you're not the Riddler?

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: February 6, 2007 17:49

I've actually analyzed this prospect last year and my conclusion was that if Zep toured PROPERLY they could break all previous tour statistics for a given year i.e number of shows, amount of tickets sold, retail value of tickets sold etc. It would not be easy but it is possible. They would have to record a new studio album, they'd have to have a stage production as grand as The Stones or U2, they'd need a War-horse heavy set-list and backing musicians and singers and first rate production, management and promotion. A tough chore but doable.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 6, 2007 18:16

You dont know what the setlist would be when you buy your ticket. Besides, with a 27 year gap, its a safe bet that they wouldnt need to rely on new material or extra musicians. The hype alone would make it massive.

However, youre right. If they wanted to tour on a huge scale, they could outgross any tour in history, They still have an enormous fanbase and appeal, and take into account the fact that hardly anyone under the age of 43-45 has seen them play live. The potential is staggering.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-06 18:20 by Gazza.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: February 6, 2007 18:17

Sadly, I too am joining the camp that this is mere speculation, probably not going to happen. I would totally love it if it happened, but it just does not look likely. The Sun article contradicts itself and looks to be taking a weak rumor and trying to turn it into news. And the other article cites a "Torotno" radio station as its source! C'mon!! At least spell it right!

I just watched Plant's DVD from his box set 'Nine Lives' and he really seems to be in a different musical place these days, beyond Led Zep nostalgia. He all but says so in the end.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home