Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...191192193194195196197198199200201...LastNext
Current Page: 196 of 210
Re: What is the next concert you have tickets for?
Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 20, 2023 18:52

treaclefingers
DGA35
treaclefingers
tatters
Thinking about going to see Seal if I can get off work early enough this Sunday. Failing that, I do have a ticket to see 1970s pop-rocker Al Stewart on Monday.

What a coincidence!

I'm going to see 1970s pop-rocker Rod Stewart in August!

I can't believe how poor tickets sold for Rod, especially with Cheap Trick opening! I bought tickets again earlier this year after I got a refund from last year. Kind of pissed off when I saw they were part of the Concert Week $25 tickets a week ago, same as the Doobies in Abbotsford!

Hmmm...if you think you're pissed off, think about me. I didn't even know they were $25, that isn't what I paid last week! You going to Elvis Costello in a couple of weeks?

I started a thread about $25 concert week, but it was quickly merged into overpriced concert thread for some reason. Maybe that’s why you missed it.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 20, 2023 21:35

treaclefingers
DGA35
treaclefingers
tatters
Thinking about going to see Seal if I can get off work early enough this Sunday. Failing that, I do have a ticket to see 1970s pop-rocker Al Stewart on Monday.

What a coincidence!

I can't believe how poor tickets sold for Rod, especially with Cheap Trick opening! I bought tickets again earlier this year after I got a refund from last year. Kind of pissed off when I saw they were part of the Concert Week $25 tickets a week ago, same as the Doobies in Abbotsford!

Hmmm...if you think you're pissed off, think about me. I didn't even know they were $25, that isn't what I paid last week! You going to Elvis Costello in a couple of weeks?

No, not going to Costello, not a fan really. Closest I came to him was when wife Diana Krall played a song with McCartney in Vancouver several years ago and he was watching! I believe Elvis gets spotted occasionally in record stores in town.
I did mention on the Springsteen thread that I bought a ticket for Van last week. I check regularly on ticketmaster for updates and just happened a few new tickets were released so I bought a single ticket, first row upper bowl around center ice for $190! First show I'll see by myself!

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 21, 2023 05:16

Have quite a few concerts coming up the two I'm looking forward to are The Corrs, Matchbox Twenty with Goo Goo Dolls opening for them

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 21, 2023 15:03

Boz Scaggs in Macon

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 25, 2023 22:44

just added GnR in Madrid to my Dylan tour in Spain

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 25, 2023 23:51

The Cure 1 week from today!

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 26, 2023 02:44

Bottlerock Music Festival in Napa with thousands of drunks. Lucius, Mike Campbell and War but gonna miss Billy Strings since his set overlaps Mike Campbell and Lucius.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 26, 2023 02:50

DGA35
treaclefingers
DGA35
treaclefingers
tatters

What a coincidence!

No, not going to Costello, not a fan really. Closest I came to him was when wife Diana Krall played a song with McCartney in Vancouver several years ago and he was watching! I believe Elvis gets spotted occasionally in record stores in town.
I did mention on the Springsteen thread that I bought a ticket for Van last week. I check regularly on ticketmaster for updates and just happened a few new tickets were released so I bought a single ticket, first row upper bowl around center ice for $190! First show I'll see by myself!

Van the man? I've seen a Stones show by myself a couple of times. Once in Toronto, once in Vancouver. In Toronto I was travelling alone on business and in Vancouver I couldn't find anyone that wanted to go (1998) for the price, what was it then $80?

Posted by: fzv98d ()
Date: May 26, 2023 02:58

Boygenius

Date: May 26, 2023 06:01

fzv98d
Boygenius

I have them next weekend. Looking forward to this. Saw Phoebe Bridgers as the opener to the opener for Conor Oberst in 2017. Knew she would make it big.

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: May 27, 2023 05:00

While this is a "next" thread I'll still recap March to May's. Partly to recommend some of the younger acts. There are worthy young rockers out there... and you can see them for bargain prices.

March 12 - Haley Reinhart - Richmond
Fabulous voice and vocal stylings. Her parents raised her right, with big helpings of rock n roll, of which there's a good mix of covers in her shows.

March 27 - Springsteen (arena) - DC
Great. I've never followed him or any band around for multiple shows in the same tour, so I didn't care the setlist is basically static.

March 29 - Screaming Females - Richmond
The start of their tour and we sold it out for them. Here's a blurb on them I ran into on AllMusic.com: "Can we all agree that Marissa Paternoster is an unsung American treasure? At a time when plenty of people have the foolish idea that rock is dead or dying, Paternoster is a performer who ought to be a genuine rock star with her passionate, full-bodied voice and rough but powerful guitar heroics, all of which should be obvious to anyone who has spent some time with the music of the Screaming Females."
Me: Lol. It's the internet, dude. No, we canNOT all agree... on ANYthing. But I agree with everything except those four words. $20 bought me a show of scorching guitar rock experienced close up.

Apr 2 - Titus Andronicus - Richmond
From a review of much the same show three weeks earlier in Portland (https://glidemagazine.com/289349/titus-andronicus-and-country-westerns-share-guitar-rock-glory-in-portland-or-show-review/)
"The sheer level of guitar shredding in these first few minutes immediately set the tone for a rock show that never lost a single bit of momentum in its eighty-minute stretch. There is something patriotic about the way this band carries themselves with their combustible combination of chorus lines shouted in unison, upbeat piano that would make Billy Joel smile, and a never-ending stream of ascendent guitar solos. ...It is not a stretch to draw comparisons between Titus Andronicus and Bruce Springsteen, with both acts waving the flag for the working class of New Jersey through big-hearted rock and roll. Some acts might shy away from Springsteen comparisons, but not this one. Returning to the stage for one last tune, [they] busted out their proudest rendition of “Glory Days.” Their hard-edge punk take on this classic tune signaled to the audience that they are hellbent on keeping the glory of American rock and roll alive and also brought the show to a triumphant close."
I saw three New Jersey rock bands in a week, and heard Glory Days from Bruce on Monday and from T.Andronicus on Sunday. $16.50! Give em a try.

Apr 22 - Amanda Shires - Richmond
Great. Often dark lyrics, or sharp lyrics (I'm rock & roll; and you're golf) in some excellent tunes. Another night of hearing extremely talented people in a smaller venue. For $22. Got her sig on a cd cover, an album promo flyer, and I nicked the Sold Out sign off the venue front door and on that as well.

Apr 28 - Lydia Loveless - Richmond
Not great. They bumped her back from 7:45 PM support act to 6:45 PM earlier support act, behind a local semi-successful band. Outdoors on a gray, damp day, she played a short set, half an hour. S'ok, one disappointment isn't bad, I've had very good luck with shows this year otherwise.

May 3 - Yeah Yeah Yeahs - DC
Great. The opening gig of their new tour. Sold out. Karen O is the same unique, indefinable presence she's been from their start in 2000. She said she was so happy being back doing this that she almost cried backstage before coming out. I realized that in their aughties heyday I came to know them mostly from late night tv appearances. A retrospective of some YYY songs, from tv, mostly.

* Y Control
on Conan O'Brien May 8, 2003
[youtu.be]

* Cheated Hearts
on Conan O'Brien in 2006
[youtu.be]

* Gold Lion
on David Letterman March 29, 2006
[youtu.be]

* Turn Into
on UK's Live Friday Night with Jonathan Ross May 19, 2006
[youtu.be]
and, same year, live in London
[youtu.be]

* a live-audience show in a Melbourne Australia radio station studio, Sep 16, 2006. 55 min. Way Out
[youtu.be]

* Down Boy
on David Letterman July 26, 2007
[youtu.be]

* Zero
on David Letterman April 14, 2009
[youtu.be]

* Date With The Night
at England's Glastonbury Music Festival Summer 2009
[youtu.be]

* Rich
live 2010
[youtu.be]

* Burning
on Jimmy Kimmel September 2022
[youtu.be]

May 3, 2023 in DC the YYYs included Y Control, Gold Lion, Down Boy, Zero, Date With The Night, and Burning.

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-03 21:52 by TheBluesHadaBaby.

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: May 27, 2023 18:16

Next, for the "next" part.

On the schedule as it stands now:

June 4 - Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes - Richmond
Saw him once before, in I think it was 1979, on his Hearts of Stone tour. Springsteen wrote a bunch of songs on that album and it was the best thing that I've heard, at least, from Southside.

June 21 - Sarah Shook & the Disarmers - Richmond
The New York state fundamentalist Christian-raised & home-schooled, now Carrboro NC nonbinary outlaw country rocker mom is coming back around. Always a good show, and very affordable as well.

July 30 - Ana Popovic - Richmond

Aug 8 - Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - Richmond
Saw his wife in April. It's the husband's turn. While he's the much bigger star, honestly, good luck to him matching her show.

Aug 12 - Parliament Funkadelic featuring George Clinton - Richmond

Aug 19 - John Fogerty - Fairfax County VA
Never seen him live before, this is long, long overdue. Proud Mary is certain to be devoted to Tina.

Aug 28 - Bruce Springsteen (stadium) - DC
I am hoping for a setlist refreshening for the U.S. stadium leg.

Aug 31 - Gary Clark Jr - Doswell VA
Also never seen him live. Got good seats for this and am really looking forward to it.

Nov 25 - Liz Phair - DC
Performing the entire Exile In Guyville album in its 30th Anniversary Tour. Saw her in 1999 in a double bill with Alanis. For my tastes the 3 greatest Women In Rock albums of that decade were Guyville, Live Through This, and Jagged Little Pill.

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 17, 2023 13:02

Probably the least rockin' concert I've ever been to, but I saw a frail, trembly, 85-year-old Peter Yarrow play a show this past Thursday. He was joined by fellow octogenarian Josh White Jr. on a couple of songs, so that was cool.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 17, 2023 13:45

I was supposed to see Social Distortion the first weekend of July in a club. Unfortunately, Mike Ness was diagnosed with tonsil cancer & the band postponed the tour & new album. The good news is the cancer was caught early & Mike's prognosis is good. So now my next show is Buddy Guy on August 10.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: June 17, 2023 15:13

Depeche Mode at the Twickenham Stadium. Tonight!

I’m on my way to London now.
The only UK date on their extensive European tour — why don’t they play more on their home turf? Somehow reminiscent of last year’s Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds’ tour itinerary.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 17, 2023 15:40

Bruce Springsteen, Hyde Park, July 8th. Three weeks to go!

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: June 17, 2023 17:13

Tue night - Queens of the Stone Age first non festival date of euro tour at Halifax piece hall. Despite only being 20m drive from my house first gig there for me - beautiful setting, built in 1779 and about 5k capacity for gigs

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

And the night after I’m back for war on drugs at same venue

Date: June 18, 2023 04:28

yorkshirestone
Tue night - Queens of the Stone Age first non festival date of euro tour at Halifax piece hall. Despite only being 20m drive from my house first gig there for me - beautiful setting, built in 1779 and about 5k capacity for gigs

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

And the night after I’m back for war on drugs at same venue

I saw New Order there in September 2021. Indeed, a beautiful place — definitely the most beautiful outdoor venue I have ever been to bar none. It reminded me of an attractive Italian square, Venice or Siena for example. It became particularly atmospheric under the sun in the twilight. I want to visit it again. Someday I will.

Regarding Depeche Mode concert. I saw them in Japan in 1985, 86, 88 and 90. They stopped touring the country after that for some reason. Then, after 23 years interval, I saw them again in Manchester in 2013. When I saw DM in Japan, they consisted of three synthesizer players and a singer. But at the cavernous Manchester Arena, with an added drummer in the lineup mercilessly hitting and kicking a double-bass drum kit, their sound morphed into a full-blown arena rock, loud, huge and bombastic, which I didn’t like. Another show at the same venue in 2017, my impression the same. Now this stadium extravaganza. I kind of changed my view and accepted what and where they are. In the 80s DM were a synth-pop band. The music DM play these days is a type of industrial rock, so to speak, in the similar vein of Ministry or Nine Inch Nails. That’s how they are now. In a way it is a natural consequence, as the DM old model may have influenced these groups when they started. You could see a full circle shaped there. At Twickenham, the crowd went enthusiastic and loved them. And I found I enjoyed the show, too.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-18 11:54 by RisingStone.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: June 18, 2023 07:43

The Cure at Madison Square Garden, June 21.

Posted by: GeirGG ()
Date: June 18, 2023 10:09

Peter Gabriel tomorrow in London, then Siouxie in Wolverhampton, The Damned in Bath, and then Peter Gabriel again in Manchester. Then Springsteen in Gothenburg.

Date: June 18, 2023 10:37

Peter Gabriel for me is on Thursday in Glasgow. Then The Chameleons on Friday in Edinburgh.

Date: June 18, 2023 11:23

TW Classic in Werchter Belgium with Springsteen, Simply Red and Jack Johnson followed by Calexico in Utrecht

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 18, 2023 13:09

Tove Lo, Brussels
The Chicks/Maren Morris, Amsterdam
Grace Jones/Suede, Antwerp
Natalia Lafourcade, Paris
Chris Isaak, Brussels
Bruce Springsteen/The Chicks, London
Lana Del Rey, London
The Weeknd, Brussels
Iron Maiden, Antwerp
Roy Ayers, Antwerp
Seal, Brussels
Sugababes, Brussels
Gracie Abrams, Brussels
Luke Combs, Brussels
Diana Ross, Antwerp
Madonna, Antwerp
Billy Strings, Antwerp
Lil Yachty, Brussels
Extreme, Antwerp

Date: June 18, 2023 13:26

BowieStone
Grace Jones/Suede, Antwerp

Heading there after Calexico in Utrecht for both days.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: June 18, 2023 14:08

Lemme see: The Doobie Brothers, then The Struts, John Mellencamp, Garbage and Neil Gallagher, Shinyribs, GA Satellites, Green Day, Joan Jett, Phantogram, White Reaper, The Cult, Cody Jinks, Foo Fighters, The National, The Manzingers, Old 97's, Father John Misty, Nick Cave, Amyl and the Sniffers and The Oshima Brothers

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 18, 2023 21:05

Gary Clark Jr., theater show.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 18, 2023 21:14

right now I can't really make up my mind if I should see Billy Gibbons tomorrow

Posted by: chris girard ()
Date: June 19, 2023 02:23

Seeing Joss Stone in August, just saw Taj Mahal.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 19, 2023 05:16

chris girard
Seeing Joss Stone in August, just saw Taj Mahal.

Was Taj Mahal worth seeing? I'm undecided on that show.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: chris girard ()
Date: June 19, 2023 06:41

Taj has a good voice for a man who is 81 years old, can still play like a champ. I was a bit under impressed by the opening acts, Mississppi All Stars,were just OK. Los Lobos were good if you like Latin rock/blues. Taj plays for a hour or so, would like more of him and less of the opening acts. He's not too expensive and he;s worth it.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...191192193194195196197198199200201...LastNext
Current Page: 196 of 210

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1619
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home