Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Make It Funky" DVD - Keith on "I'm Ready" question
Posted by: René ()
Date: January 17, 2007 11:21

Is Keith doing the lead vocals on this one, or is it just a All Stars performance with thousands of musicians on stage (wich is usual for All Stars performances).

Re: "Make It Funky" DVD - Keith on "I'm Ready" question
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 17, 2007 11:25

Keith sings lead on it.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 17, 2007 15:46

Not only does he sing lead, but he plays better on it than at nearly any show since the Winos finished. Sadly its only one song, but it happily recalls the great performance of Eddie Cochran's Something Else at Boston 1993 or Seville 1991. I understand why the Stones don't cut loose like that on tour anymore, but like the 2005 press conference mini-set, it makes the hairs on your arm stand up just to hear them actually play together like a real band again.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 17, 2007 15:50

I was at the filming. He did about three songs at the show. I remember he did "Things I Used to Do" which I don't think made it onto the finished film.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 17, 2007 15:56

Cool. Any other memories, Edith Grove? I heard Keith was drunk during Things That I Used To Do and that's why it wasn't used, but he seems perfectly coherent during I'm Ready and the interview footage. I wish Virgin would do an Essential Crossexion for Keith and turn up some of these gems as well as Run Rudolph Run/The Harder They Come 45 and the amazing snippet of Nearness of You that's heard in Basquiat. I know its the same version as the common bootleg, but the quality is perfect, its speed-corrected and I salivate just thinking about getting the real deal.

Date: January 17, 2007 16:05

All of Keith's tunes were done in sequence at the end of the show. Assuming the interview was done before the show, then I suppose he had time to get drunk before the end of the evening. I don't recall having that impression, though.
Joss Stone was there, but I don't recall seeing her on the video.
If you haven't seen the video yet, please do. It's a great documentary on New Orleans music.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 18, 2007 01:04

yes, it's a good movie--introduced me to several great artists. Oddly, it was screened here in nyc in the immediate aftermath of the hurricane (had been scheduled in advance).

Date: January 18, 2007 09:10

>> If you haven't seen the video yet, please do. It's a great documentary on New Orleans music. <<

i concur. and i really wonder what happened to Things I Used to Do.
according to Nico's site that's the only other number Keith did, besides I'm Ready -
but Edith Grove, you recall a third one as well?? fascinating!

Posted by: einte ()
Date: January 18, 2007 10:21

someone post it it before...here's the link

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 18, 2007 14:48

with sssoul Wrote:
that's the only other
> number Keith did, besides I'm Ready -
> but Edith Grove, you recall a third one as well??
> fascinating!

I could be wrong. That show happened a couple of years ago and it was a rather long night. Lots of downtime between acts due to the filming. It was exciting to see so many great artists in one place, and I'm sure there are other details I've forgotten.

Date: January 18, 2007 19:42

thanks Edith Grove! very cool of you to be there.
i don't mean to press for details/memories you don't have (i can relate to it being fuzzy!)
but if you happen to recollect ... was there anything evident to you that would explain why
Keith's other number didn't make it to the DVD? he does seem a bit stressed in the I'm Ready footage,
but i know he gets like that sometimes in that sort of situation, so i don't assume there were any Dire Reasons,
but i'm always interested, in case anything stands out in your memories of the event.
either way, have some popcorn.

Date: January 18, 2007 21:08

Perhaps the fact that I woke up the next morning with a hangover might have something to do with my recollection! All that downtime between acts provided for several trips to the bar without missing much.

Seriously, though, I don't recall particularly enjoying Keith's version of Things I Used to Do. I do not think it was a good selection for him. He did not play much on that one, mostly singing and posing like he tends to do. I've seen other artists who can really bang that one out on a guitar, so I suppose it was somewhat of a letdown for me. Just my opinion. Another reason could be that the film maker simply did not have the room to include another song.

www.makeitfunky.org has more info

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-18 21:29 by Edith Grove.

Date: January 18, 2007 23:10

thanks for the input, Edith Grove!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1775
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home