Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: The Stones with Muddy Waters, live in 1978
Date: May 8, 2017 11:27

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
with sssoul
>> I meant, it's 1978 according to Bill Wyman,
it goes along fine with the setlists in that book. <<

yeah i know, but even Bill has some photos on the wrong pages.
i'm not insisting or anything - it just looks more like Barbarian Keith to me.
but then: it is the same cat, and not even a year difference,
so it's not strange that there'd be a resemblance. :E

- Chicago 1978 (don't know who took it, sorry!)

It looks like 1981, but could very well be 1979. It's not 1978, judging by Keith's hairdo etc.

It is 1978, the clothes etc.

Not that pic. The pic with Keith and Willie.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 8, 2017 11:38

Rockman

Keith back stage with Willie Dixon Soldier Field Rolling With The Stones - Bill Wyman.....

Ahh ok! Sorry. No idea... I agree it doesnt look like 1978 but I think it is. His hair wet after the show.Could be 1979.Different hat but the rest...And Keith is not 1978-skinny. Keith wore that necklace leathery thing around his neck in May 1979.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-08 11:48 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: May 8, 2017 11:53

Redhotcarpet
Rockman

Keith back stage with Willie Dixon Soldier Field Rolling With The Stones - Bill Wyman.....

Ahh ok! Sorry. No idea... I agree it doesnt look like 1978 but I think it is. His hair wet after the show.Could be 1979.Different hat but the rest...And Keith is not 1978-skinny. Keith wore that necklace leathery thing around his neck in May 1979.

More likely with 1979 than 1978, imo. You can see he's in better shape physically, he's more awake (not as sedated) in 1979, his hairdo is fuller and different + the leather necklace.

How many times did he meet with Willie in that period, though? Willie has different clothes in those two pics smiling smiley

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: May 8, 2017 12:27

1978, 8th July: MUDDY WATERS. Chicago, Illinois, Quiet Knight Club.The Stones jam with Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon & Pinetop Perkins.
Musicians: KR (gtr)/MJ (voc)/RW (bass)/CW (dr)/Muddy Waters(gtr, voc)/Jerry Portnoy (harm)/Bob Margolin (gtr)/… (bass)
Note: Probably in the early morning hours, so it was already July 9. 1978

Date: May 8, 2017 12:29

RipThisBone

1978, 8th July: MUDDY WATERS. Chicago, Illinois, Quiet Knight Club.The Stones jam with Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon & Pinetop Perkins.
Musicians: KR (gtr)/MJ (voc)/RW (bass)/CW (dr)/Muddy Waters(gtr, voc)/Jerry Portnoy (harm)/Bob Margolin (gtr)/… (bass)
Note: Probably in the early morning hours, so it was already July 9. 1978

Then point me to pictures of Keith in 1978 with that hairdo and those leather pants smoking smiley

Date: May 8, 2017 12:31

It is 1979 has to be thumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 8, 2017 14:22

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
with sssoul

It looks like 1981, but could very well be 1979. It's not 1978, judging by Keith's hairdo etc.

According to Getty Images:

"Keith Richards meets Blues legend Willie Dixon backstage at a New Barbarians concert. The New Barbarians were a side project of Keith Richards, Ron Wood(both of the Rolling Stones), and Stanley Clarke, a respected jazz bassist and producer."

The New Barbarians played in Chicago in April 30th, 1979, so maybe that's when they met backstage.

Date: May 8, 2017 14:29

Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
with sssoul

"Keith Richards meets Blues legend Willie Dixon backstage at a New Barbarians concert. The New Barbarians were a side project of Keith Richards, Ron Wood(both of the Rolling Stones), and Stanley Clarke, a respected jazz bassist and producer."

The New Barbarians played in Chicago in April 30th, 1979, so maybe that's when they met backstage.

Thanks, Cristiano - I knew it wasn't 1978. Nice to get it confirmed smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 8, 2017 14:30

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 8, 2017 16:49

DandelionPowderman
Testify
Rockman
Yeah Yeah Muddy....inopeng has summed it up pretty well...

Willie Dixon took the Stones down to the Quiet Knight club.
Story goes that Keith fell to his knees and kissed Muddy's
hand when they met.....

Have never seen a set list of the jam...No listings at all
in the Muddy Waters Complete Discography by Phil Wight/Fred Rothwell...

Do have photo/s somewhere of Mick with Lefty Dizz...think it was
even mentioned in Rolling Stone magazine at the time

Quiet Knight Club....Terry Abrahamson

Ronnie is playing the harmonica in the picture?

And bass smiling smiley

Note: There's no harmonica in that picture... It's the back end of Muddy's microphone blocking Ronnie's mouth.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: May 8, 2017 17:10

mr_dja
DandelionPowderman
Testify
Rockman
Yeah Yeah Muddy....inopeng has summed it up pretty well...

Willie Dixon took the Stones down to the Quiet Knight club.
Story goes that Keith fell to his knees and kissed Muddy's
hand when they met.....

Have never seen a set list of the jam...No listings at all
in the Muddy Waters Complete Discography by Phil Wight/Fred Rothwell...

Do have photo/s somewhere of Mick with Lefty Dizz...think it was
even mentioned in Rolling Stone magazine at the time

Quiet Knight Club....Terry Abrahamson

Ronnie is playing the harmonica in the picture?

And bass smiling smiley

Note: There's no harmonica in that picture... It's the back end of Muddy's microphone blocking Ronnie's mouth.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Ha ha, that's true - unless Ronnie was so stoned he thought he'd get some sounds outta Muddy's mic that way winking smiley

Date: May 8, 2017 19:57

DandelionPowderman
Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
with sssoul

Thanks, Cristiano - I knew it wasn't 1978. Nice to get it confirmed smiling smiley

Me too really. Got confused because ot that other 1978 pic. cool smiley

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: April 7, 2021 15:08

[fi.pinterest.com]

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Date: April 7, 2021 21:51

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: April 7, 2021 22:29

November and December of 1978 saw Muddy and his Band opening for Clapton on Clapton's 1978 European tour.

If you would want some first hand accounts of the Stones sitting in with Muddy in 1978 in Chicago visit Bob Margolin's website and drop him a message. Bob was Muddy's lead guitar player during that time period.

bobmargolin.com

Date: April 7, 2021 23:16

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: April 8, 2021 02:21

Rockman, great find on that picture!

That is Bob Margolin (Muddy's lead guitar player I mentioned earlier) behind Mick's out stretched right arm.

Date: April 8, 2021 02:39

Yo Yo .... pleasure 1c

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: January 5, 2022 04:03

I know that this is an Old Post - I am researching Chicago 7-8-1978 (I was at Soldier for The Show) ... ... For The Record I am 99% that this Photo is Cropped and 99.999% that is Not Willie Dixon ... I saw Willie Dixon around 10-Times Late 70's (My Call is that Ain't Him). It Don't Look Like Him and that hat ain't his style ...

Date: January 5, 2022 04:05

Rockman

I know that this is an Old Post - I am researching Chicago 7-8-1978 (I was at Soldier for The Show) ... ... For The Record I am 99% that this Photo is Cropped and 99.999% that is Not Willie Dixon ... I saw Willie Dixon around 10-Times Late 70's (My Call is that Ain't Him). It Don't Look Like Him and that Hat ain't Willy's style ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-05 04:32 by 2120Wolf.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: January 5, 2022 04:26

2120Wolf
Rockman

I know that this is an Old Post - I am researching Chicago 7-8-1978 (I was at Soldier for The Show) ... ... For The Record I am 99% that this Photo is Cropped and 99.999% that is Not Willie Dixon ... I saw Willie Dixon around 10-Times Late 70's (My Call is that Ain't Him). It Don't Look Like Him and that hat ain't his style ...

I think that is Willie Dixon speaking to Keith. Also, Willie’s son standing in the background. Probably after the Barbarians show in Chicago 1979.

Date: January 5, 2022 04:37

swimtothemoon
2120Wolf
Rockman

I think that is Willie Dixon speaking to Keith. Also, Willie’s son standing in the background. Probably after the Barbarians show in Chicago 1979.

Yes Very Well Could Be Back Stage at The Old Chicago Stadium ... ... I'm Still Going With 99% Cropped Picture & That is 99.9999% Not Willie Dixon ... Again ~ Don't Look Anything Like Him and No F'ing Way Would Willie wear that Hat ... I'd Bet $5,000.00 That Ain't Willie Dixon

Date: January 5, 2022 04:38

2120Wolf
swimtothemoon
2120Wolf
Rockman

Yes Very Well Could Be Back Stage at The Old Chicago Stadium ... ... I'm Still Going With 99% Cropped Picture & That is 99.9999% Not Willie Dixon ... Again ~ Don't Look Anything Like Him and No F'ing Way Would Willie wear that Hat ... I'd Bet $5,000.00 That Ain't Willie Dixon and NO THAT AIN'T HIS SON BOBBY ... Completely Incorrect ~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-05 04:39 by 2120Wolf.

Posted by: dropped ()
Date: January 5, 2022 05:57

? Lonnie Brooks?

Date: January 5, 2022 08:18

2120Wolf
2120Wolf
swimtothemoon
2120Wolf
Rockman

Yes Very Well Could Be Back Stage at The Old Chicago Stadium ... ... I'm Still Going With 99% Cropped Picture & That is 99.9999% Not Willie Dixon ... Again ~ Don't Look Anything Like Him and No F'ing Way Would Willie wear that Hat ... I'd Bet $5,000.00 That Ain't Willie Dixon and NO THAT AIN'T HIS SON BOBBY ... Completely Incorrect ~

I do believe the person in the picture is Willie Dixon. However, I’m not
sure the person in the middle is his son. Will try to clarify both individuals with a person who will know for sure. I agree the cowboy hat may be a bit out of character for Willie - but he often wore a hat and a suit coat. I could be wrong though…

Date: January 5, 2022 09:50

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: January 5, 2022 11:04

It' the same suit

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 5, 2022 20:23

Could be Lonnie Brooks with Keith (Lonnie would often wear a cowboy hat), and Lonnie's son is a great guitarist in his own right, though I'm not sure Lonnie was that heavy...but it could be him and his son.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-05 20:23 by kovach.

Date: January 6, 2022 09:13

Lien
It' the same suit

Yes it’s the same suit coat. You have solved the mystery!

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: January 7, 2022 08:26

Lonnie Brooks also with cowboy hat.

source nytimes.com/

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1976
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home