Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: 2010 Light Years From Home
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 20, 2010 01:53

Mathijs

Fantastic to see a Brian Jones bit being shown. Is this difficult or techical to play? The high registered parts does seem intrictate to me (no skills on a keyboard).

Mathijs

It,s just a general interpretation of the parts he played on the bootleg outtakes, the officially released version has 2 layers of mellotron so might be impossible or very hard to play as per the record.

Re: 2010 Light Years From Home
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 20, 2010 03:59

His Majesty
I can neither afford or be bothered with the hassle(ie taking it to gigs etc) of owning a real mellotron so opted for this lil thing instead.

Here's my take on Brian's great mellotron playing on 2000 Light Years From Home. Backing track is taken from Satanic Sessions box sets...

smoking smiley

Terrific! Your next assignment is to do the same with all of Brian's Mellotron parts! That's really great, HM.

Does Brian do two layers on We Love You, or is he just busking it?

Do you have any analog/tape recording equipment? If so, can you get the backwards/forwards flute Mellotron thing going like Lennon did in the Magical Mystery Tour film?

Also I just found out that the beginning of the Kinks Phenomenal Cat are preset Mellotron bars of music. Meaning they weren't original parts played by Nicky Hopkins; just push a key and you get 8 seconds of music (like the into to Bungalow Bill).

Re: Just a little thread about the Mellotron...
Date: August 20, 2010 05:11

Yeah some great mellotron on Village Green album! We Love You is just one part, no overdubbing. I'll have a go at that part tomorrow! smoking smiley

Date: August 20, 2010 05:13

tonterapi
I remember reading about a band that actually bought Brian's old Mellotron from his parents and then divided it into a smaller instrument with a saw. I don't know if it's true. Horrible if it's true! sad smiley Not only did they slaughter a Mellotron MK II but also a Mk II that belonged to Brian Jones.

If the above story is true this might be half of Brian's MKII mellotron!!! eye popping smiley

[egrefin.free.fr]

Some background info as to why it might be Brian's mellotron.

[www.gardenshedmusic.com]

"Mark said, (and a word of caution here: it had been pointed out to me that Mark had a long history of incredible storytelling), that he had bought the Mellotron from the parents of the late Brian Jones, guitarist with the Stones. It was this instrument that became the Half-a-'Tron, or as we were eventually to call it, the Black Melly."

Date: August 20, 2010 05:28

This of course is what the Mellotron totally ripped off... although in their defense at the time the Bradley's etc who made the Mellotron weren't aware that the fellow who brought two chamberlins over to UK from US had stolen them!

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 20, 2010 10:01

Tony Visconti also played Mellotron on the T.Rex Slider album.

Date: August 22, 2010 12:04

I had a go at We Love You today using a different i-pad Mellotron app...

Date: January 9, 2011 15:26

Rare footage of John and Yoko playing John's very rare black MKII Mellotron at home in 1969.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1648
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home