Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Just a little thread about the Mellotron...
Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: July 7, 2008 21:14

I know John Paul Jones played the Mellotron live at Zep shows. Pretty sure that JPJ uses the Mellotron on "No Quarter" when Zep played that song live. I have heard Palnt make quips during shows about "JPJ on the Mellotron."

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 21, 2009 07:49

Beat Instrumental - September 1965

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: February 21, 2009 08:41

1cdog
I know John Paul Jones played the Mellotron live at Zep shows. Pretty sure that JPJ uses the Mellotron on "No Quarter" when Zep played that song live. I have heard Palnt make quips during shows about "JPJ on the Mellotron."

John Paul Jones played the Mellotron onstage in Zep shows between 1972 and 1977. After that, he had switched to a Fairlight synthesiser. He used it on The Rain Song, Kashmir, and Stairway. I'm pretty sure he plays only electric and acoustic piano on No Quarter.

Posted by: wolfi ()
Date: February 21, 2009 11:09

Steve Winwood also used the mellotron on one or more of his early albums, where he played most or all of the instruments. I just don't have the information at hand but it's in the booklets coming with the cds.

Posted by: terra3 ()
Date: July 17, 2009 23:20

Not about the Mellotron, but something of potential interest . . .

JPJ used a Hohner ElectraPiano for some of the keyboard parts in studio recordings, including running it through outboard effects for the studio version of No Quarter. In concert, he used various Fender boards with effects (including Maestro phase shifter) to achieve that sound. The Mellotron was there as well . . . the obvious string accompaniment to Rain Song and others.

I picked up a used ElectraPiano a couple of years ago from a farmer north of my place. $125 picked up in the barn. Pretty decent shape. Even told him that it was somewhat unique and hard to find. Didn't care . . . felt that if someone was going to play it, that was good enough for him. Laughed like hell the first time I pounded out the intro to 'Misty Mountain Hop'; there was 'that' sound. If you are interested:

[www.flickr.com]

In '73 remember having bad seats off to the side and slightly rear of the stage for a Buffalo concert. One positive was being relatively close and behind JPJ. As clear as I could make it, interesting to watch the concert from that perspective.

Of interest perhaps? . . .

[www.geocities.com]

Date: July 17, 2009 23:37

As a follow-up to my previous post. An interesting place for those in the Calgary, AB, Canada area . . .

[www.cantos.ca]

The Cantos keyboard museum has quite the collection of keyboard and associated hardware on display. Even more than that, they actively restore donated or purchased goods. A tech there is going to assist me with the restoration of my ElectraPiano, having restored one for the collection (if you checked out the photos, as an example, the foam that the hammers rest upon will disintegrate with the slightest movement other than the fall of the hammers). And a rather interesting note for this forum is that the museum is now the resting place of the Stone's Mobile Recording Studio (the one used on 70's vintage recordings).

I don't know if it's buried somewhere on their new website, but they used to have a very cool virtual panoramic tour of each of the rooms of the museum, with pop-up info on specific instruments. Can't find it any more.

My two bits for the day . . . hope some was of interest.

Date: July 17, 2009 23:44

Jesus . . . . . . didn't pay attention to the links that I provided . . .

ElectraPiano

JPJ

Hope I did this correctly this time around . . . . . .

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 18, 2009 00:06

Mike Pinder from The Moody Blues was and will always be the greatest mellotron player of all time. Just listen to the first 7 albums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-18 04:11 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: July 18, 2009 11:38

In the context of The Moody Blues Mike was of course IT, but his way of playing it wouldn't have worked with The Rolling Stones, King Crimson etc.

My personal favourite mellotron moments are via Brian Jones and Ian McDonald of the original King Crimson. I love how Mike used it on Tuesday Afternoon, very beautiful and tasteful!

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: July 19, 2009 14:14

I read somewhere that there is a slight delay in sound when you hit a note. Watching the videos I did't see that. I remember reading that no one in the studio could get it right until Brian had a go at it.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 19, 2009 18:56

When you would hit a key it would play a pre recorded tape that you could hold for only i beleive 8 seconds at the most before the tape would end. Release the key and the tape had to rewind by springs to the begainning. Each key had it's own tape loop. And played whatever you had recorded on it. It was originally used for sound efffects. Train whistles, dog barks things like that. There was a section with prerecorded brass and strings. Listen to The Moody Blues' It's Life Strange. That's not an orchestra you're hearing. That's the mellotron. I guess it was difficult to play.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-19 18:58 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: July 19, 2009 19:15

I remember reading about a band that actually bought Brian's old Mellotron from his parents and then divided it into a smaller instrument with a saw. I don't know if it's true. Horrible if it's true! sad smiley Not only did they slaughter a Mellotron MK II but also a Mk II that belonged to Brian Jones.

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: July 19, 2009 19:39

Thanks More Hot Rocks. Go to the web site www.mellotron.com to find out more about the instrument.

Date: July 19, 2009 23:03

tonterapi
I remember reading about a band that actually bought Brian's old Mellotron from his parents and then divided it into a smaller instrument with a saw. I don't know if it's true. Horrible if it's true! sad smiley Not only did they slaughter a Mellotron MK II but also a Mk II that belonged to Brian Jones.

I think that story possibly relates to a prog rock band called Garden Shed, but their mellotron wasn't Brians as far as I am aware.

However, Tom Keylock mentioned in Uncut magazine circa 2005 that a mellotron was taken from Cotchford and delivered to Brian's parents after Brian's death, so perhaps the story of it being sold and the cut up is true! How sad if it is!

I recall finding a link to somewhere that talked about the Mellotron at Olympic Studios. My memory of what I read was that the Mellotron in Olympic belonged to Keith.

Date: July 19, 2009 23:11

originalstones
I read somewhere that there is a slight delay in sound when you hit a note. Watching the videos I did't see that. I remember reading that no one in the studio could get it right until Brian had a go at it.

The MKII Mellotron had a faster action than the later models. Hence why trying to play something like Brian's fats and choppy MKII Mellotron part on We Love You on a MKIV Mellotron is really hard work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-19 23:21 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: July 20, 2009 00:55

Re: What happened to Brian's Mellotron?

I once read that Dennis Bovell member of Matumbi, a London based reggae unit, claimed to have used Brian's Mellotron on a recording in the seventies
I don't have any idea whether this story is true, but anyway here's a scan of the relevant part

turnersmemo
Couldn't remember that one, had to look it up. On page 376 Dennis Bovell tells about recording Matumbis first
demo in 1973, a cover of Hot Chocolates Brother Louie:

[Excerpt from Lloyd Bradley's Bass Culture - When Reggae was King]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-20 04:03 by Sohoe.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 28, 2009 02:34

bump

HMN

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 28, 2009 21:29

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: November 30, 2009 15:11

baxlap
John Paul Jones played the Mellotron onstage in Zep shows between 1972 and 1977. After that, he had switched to a Fairlight synthesiser. He used it on The Rain Song, Kashmir, and Stairway. I'm pretty sure he plays only electric and acoustic piano on No Quarter.
No Fairlight AFAIK but an Yamaha Electone GX-1. It was a big white thing with three keyboards and pedals. Even though it was sold as Yamaha's top organ it was in fact a fully programmable polyphonic synthesizer. There are about 25 left in the world today. Benny Andersson of Abba used one, Aphex Twin has got one and also Hans Zimmer.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 2, 2009 01:15

bump

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: December 2, 2009 02:05

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-22 04:14 by misterfrias.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 2, 2009 14:56

And didn't the Who use one as well??

Date: August 18, 2010 03:42

bump

HMN

Date: August 19, 2010 01:55

Bump

HMN

2010 Light Years From Home
Date: August 19, 2010 20:23

I can neither afford or be bothered with the hassle(ie taking it to gigs etc) of owning a real mellotron so opted for this lil thing instead.

Here's my take on Brian's great mellotron playing on 2000 Light Years From Home. Backing track is taken from Satanic Sessions box sets...

smoking smiley

Re: 2010 Light Years From Home
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 19, 2010 20:34

His Majesty
I can neither afford or be bothered with the hassle(ie taking it to gigs etc) of owning a real mellotron so opted for this lil thing instead.

Here's my take on Brian's great mellotron playing on 2000 Light Years From Home. Backing track is taken from Satanic Sessions box sets...

smoking smiley

Nice to hear you're back, HMwinking smiley.

Date: August 19, 2010 20:58

kleermaker
His Majesty

smoking smiley

Nice to hear you're back, HMwinking smiley.

Thanks, was in need of a short break from iorr craziness. grinning smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 19, 2010 21:57

There's a mellotron sitting at the Cleveland Rock and Roll Hall of Fame identified only as being used by the Rolling Stones in the 1960s. There is no attribution to any individual member of the group. There is also a dulcimer in the paltry Rolling Stones section that is not identified as to who owned it, or what songs it was played on. Although I love the Hall, and have spent considerable time there, they are quite scant on their visible Stones holdings.

Date: August 19, 2010 22:00

Perhaps it's Mick's as he donated his to Hard Rock Cafe years ago.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 19, 2010 23:53

His Majesty

smoking smiley

Fantastic to see a Brian Jones bit being shown. Is this difficult or techical to play? The high registered parts does seem intrictate to me (no skills on a keyboard).

Mathijs

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1635
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home