Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Pictures of the STONES in the East Village, 1981
Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 14, 2012 18:23

schillid
That was an incredible day

After college, I was living in New York, where P, a friend of mine, had also moved. P was working for a certain famous fashion photog. And when the Stones hired that photographer, suddenly my friend P was on tour with the f***ing Rolling Stones! I could not believe it! I begged P to tell me where the Stones were rehearsing in NYC. But he said that he was sworn to secrecy, and he wasn't allowed to tell.

One afternoon, the phone rang and it was P calling. "Whatever it is that you're doing..." he said, "Just drop it. Grab your camera and get over here to St. Mark's Bar and Grill now. The Rolling Stones are here shooting a video!"

I ran out and sure enough, there they were: Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, just hanging out on a stoop. It was their shoot for "Waiting On A Friend." Keith actually walked right by me. And I thought what I could possibly say to one of my guitar heroes, Keith Richards? I said simply, "Keith, can I shake your hand?" He came over and extended his right hand, while he ran his other hand through his messy hair.

Later, after it was dark, the Stones were taking a break on their tour bus, which was parked next to the bar. The door to the bus opened, and P stepped out. He walked over to me, and he handed me a "cigarette," which was still burning. He said it was from Keith. As I held it, I was torn. Should I save this or smoke this? I wondered. On one hand, I thought: Keith would want me to smoke it. On the other hand, if I saved it forever, it would make a great momento. I won't tell you which I chose. A short time later though, P got off the bus once again, and he handed me a red guitar pick that he said Keith had been using.

I still have that guitar pick and I saw the Stones that summer at JFK Stadium in Philly.

Great Story! So P was on the whole 1981 tour? What exactly did he do? He must have a bunch of photos/stories never seen/told?

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 14, 2012 20:18

2000 LYFH
So P was on the whole 1981 tour? What exactly did he do? He must have a bunch of photos/stories never seen/told?

He was a photography assistant... I don't think they went on the entire tour

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: September 14, 2012 22:37

Thanks for great recount of what must have a been a very cool day for you. The story along with the photos, simply fantastic. Good for you! Uh, anything else?

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 14, 2012 23:11

There's various other threads on iorr with discussions & some other anecdotes about this

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: September 15, 2012 04:25

Interesting that Keith had the sash/scarf thing going even back in '81. I guess I was wrong thinking that it was only prop to cover up his paunch in recent photos. He's been wearing it all along!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home