Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Get Your Leeds Lungs Out!
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: December 1, 2006 16:43

I was listening to this last night, and I see alot of people rate it up with some of the best boot's ever.... The version and intro to Midnight Rambler has a kinda bo' diddley & rollin' and tumblin' feel which is very interesting.......

dead flower's makes a good appearance but to me the song's still sound like they are trying to find themselves. like Keith always says "Can't wait to take the album out on the road and see where the song's lead" ( not an exact quote, but we 've all heard him say something along these lines"

but my point is I don't rate it that high. there isn't really anything going on musically exciting. it sound's like they are kinda having an off night.

and the tunes are just slow. I know it'll sound crazy but the first thing that popped in my mind is that this sounds like a grateful dead concert.... it is just so laid back and almost sluggish.

Interesting none the less......... o.k. let the hate post's begin heheh

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Re: Get Your Leeds Lungs Out!
Posted by: HoldOnToYourHat ()
Date: December 1, 2006 16:51

I agree its not the best..but the version of Satisfaction is unique, and the "Let it Rock" really smokes! Other than that I agree the playing can sometimes seem too lethargic..but the sound quality is good and it's interesting to hear Brown Sugar w/o the Keyes sax solo. The lack of audience sound kind of detracts from the listening experience..all in all i'd say this boot is above average, but nowhere near a Perth 73 or a Philadelphia 72.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 1, 2006 17:01

Marhsall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was listening to this last night, and I see alot
> of people rate it up with some of the best boot's
> ever....

No, that's not true...speaking of this board at least...it's fairly common that it's a bit of a laid-back performance, of course it's a must, because of the soundquality.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: December 1, 2006 17:34

Marhsall Wrote:
> I was listening to this last night, and I see alot
> of people rate it up with some of the best boot's
> ever....

Part of the issue is that it is easier to appreciate and enjoy the good sounding boots even if the show overall is laid back (Leeds) or distractingly sloppy (last '73 Australian show, I think).

> The version and intro to Midnight Rambler
> has a kinda bo' diddley & rollin' and tumblin'
> feel which is very interesting.......

Jagger and the soundman seem to have had a running battle over how to avoid feedback from Jagger's harmonica so the band figured out that a limited "drum/harmonica" set at the beginning of Rambler would give Jagger and the soundman some time to get it right. Those intros provide a cool groove intro to many Ramblers.
>
> dead flower's makes a good appearance but to me
> the song's still sound like they are trying to
> find themselves.

They were playing this song for an entire tour (1970) before they put it largely to rest after this short English tour. I think they played it only for the L&G movie during the '72 tour and then put it to rest for many tours. So this is more of the end rather than the beginning.

> but my point is I don't rate it that high. there
> isn't really anything going on musically exciting.
> it sound's like they are kinda having an off
> night.

One of the nice things about a clear recording is that one can hear more interplay, notes that get buried in an audience recording, etc. For me, Taylor's solos on DF and the mid-solo on BS are among this best for those songs. Also, Richards' tone on BS sounds great.

The band seems somewhat more engaged in the Roundhouse show from around that time, but I still very much enjoy Leeds.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 1, 2006 18:12

I totally love this one, and I think the version of 'Satisfaction' is by far my favorite of any. Even '72 w/ Stevie W. I love the laid-back feel to the groove, gives the song a totally different feel, not emphasizing the famous riff at all, but more the groove of the song. I also think Mick's vocal is brilliant on this version.

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: December 1, 2006 18:18

Where could I buy a copy of this DVD. I'd really love to have a look. Any ideas?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 1, 2006 18:21

I'm very fond of this recording though I do acknowledge it is a bit laid back at times. I really like the reworking of "Satisfaction" and the version of "Let It Rock" is one of my all time favorite tracks that feature Keith's great guitar playing. The way he paraphrases Jagger's vocal lines at points is phenominal and the second lead break and return to the verse is super charged rock and roll at its ulimate expression, in my view at least.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: December 1, 2006 18:26

that version of Brown Sugar aint too shabby

Posted by: stein ()
Date: December 1, 2006 18:29

It`s on my top five boot list.

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: December 1, 2006 18:34

Sorry to be repetitive as I know it gets on everyone's nerves, but, could anyone tell me where I could find a copy of this DVD. It sounds amazing!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 1, 2006 20:04

Maybe Urban Steel will start posting pre 1981 stuff

(crossing fingers)

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 1, 2006 20:08

iamthedj Wrote:
> Sorry to be repetitive as I know it gets on
> everyone's nerves, but, could anyone tell me where
> I could find a copy of this DVD. It sounds
> amazing!

It's a CD (or LP).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-01 20:12 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 1, 2006 21:30

Check the Hot Stuff forum on this site.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1740
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home