Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: If Charlie Watts had to retire would the Stones continue?
Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 9, 2021 23:37

NashvilleBlues
RisingStone
angee
IMO, just from following Charlie from afar, he wouldn't be comfortable sharing his drumming with another drummer while playing with The Rolling Stones.

Probably he has never done that with the Stones.
He certainly did on the ARMS 1983 shows, though, with Kenney Jones.

Wasn’t there another drummer (percussionist) with Charlie at Hyde Park 1969?

Yeah, a bunch of African percussionists. Enter wiki...Ginger Johnson and His African Messengers. They played percussions, not drums, though.
In US 75 and Europe 76, Ollie Brown also played percussion with the Stones.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 10, 2021 00:30

If his health is good
lets just have Charlie on drums ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 10, 2021 01:18

I don’t think Charlie would share his drums with another drummer.That would be an admission he can’t do it anymore.He would just retire

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: August 10, 2021 04:54

Pecman
Keith has said...without me, Mick, and Charlie...there would be no Stones...

Pecman

There is no Charlie now but they are still completing the tour assuming the rising Covid cases in the U.S. don't cancel it again first.

Personally, I feel they should cancel the tour. This feels more like the X-Pensive Winos or New Barbarians. If they are going to do it just call it the Glimmer Twins and friends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-10 04:55 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 10, 2021 09:09

The band that will be behind Mick is nowhere near as good as the New Barbarians.
They had Mac and Bobby with Zig and Stanley Clarke.
Nothing against Steve and Daryl but they’re not in the same league, session players do their job but that’s about it.
The Rolling Stones means something, you’re seeing greatness on display.original styles, one of a kind unique musicians.
Jagger will save this shit show but it’s gonna be the hardest work he’s ever done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-10 14:49 by lem motlow.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 10, 2021 09:46

lem motlow
The band that will be behind Mick is nowhere near as good as the New Barbarians.
Nothing against Steve and Daryl but they’re not in the same league, session players do their job but that’s about it.
The Rolling Stones means something, you’re seeing greatness on display.original styles, one of kind unique musicians.
Jagger will save this shit show but it’s gonna be the hardest work he’s ever done.

dood is the most underappreciated member in this band. I mean we appreciate him, we just don't have a clue how absolutely indispensible he is.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 10, 2021 18:33

"dood is the most underappreciated member in this band. I mean we appreciate him, we just don't have a clue how absolutely indispensible he is."

I think some of us do have a clue how indispensable Mick is.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-10 18:34 by angee.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: August 10, 2021 20:34

treaclefingers
lem motlow
The Rolling Stones means something, you’re seeing greatness on display.original styles, one of kind unique musicians.

dood is the most underappreciated member in this band. I mean we appreciate him, we just don't have a clue how absolutely indispensible he is.

Oh I think most of us do.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 10, 2021 21:00

Lady Jayne
treaclefingers
lem motlow

Oh I think most of us do.

yes. I was drinking last night. it happens.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: August 11, 2021 19:30

Of course they would,now is all about the money and as long as Mick And Keith can stand up they will continue with the charade.....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: August 11, 2021 20:49

Mick is the voice of the Stones, i wouldn't call his musical instrument virtuoso complimentary efforts particularly indespensible to the sound the bsnd make , OK he plays a mean harp and an unneeded shitty guitar to a couple songs , but the musicianship is behind him, yes he's still a great performer but the sound is down to people like Keith and Charlie.
I mean let's be honest they are all past it with the exception of Ronnie, who incidentally is living 3 months at a time between scans.

I always though Mick Jagger brought Taylor along on the 50 and counting tour as an insurance in case Ronnie fell off the wagon, well over a period of several years Ronnie proved his reliability and Taylor was no longer needed, just curious, would it make good sence for MJ to bring Taylor along again just in case, its not like they can replace Ronnie last minute, i really think an extra guitar is needed anyway these days, just makes good sence to me to have Ronnie, Keith and Taylor in the mix, and also brings in another Stone to make up for Charlie's absence.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 12, 2021 03:54

lem motlow
The Rolling Stones means something, you’re seeing greatness on display.original styles, one of a kind unique musicians.

very well stated. I had to think about that for a moment .. there was a previous New Barbarians with Willy Weeks and Andy Newmark.. they were great too
But yes how Stanley Clarke ever became involved with an offshoot of the Stones is a great, fun mystery.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 12, 2021 06:02

lem motlow

That was then, this is now.

Date: August 12, 2021 06:04

ROPENI
Of course they would,now is all about the money and as long as Mick And Keith can stand up they will continue with the charade.....

By "charade" you mean....

Date: August 12, 2021 15:31

GasLightStreet
ROPENI

Touring without Charlie,Charging an enormous amout of money for tickets,liying about Charlie's condition,they knew before the announcement that he could not tour,making up the whole bs about Charlie calling Steve and asking him to play for him.going on tour with COVID on the rise everywhere,etc...

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: August 13, 2021 07:55

ROPENI
GasLightStreet
ROPENI

Touring without Charlie,Charging an enormous amout of money for tickets,liying about Charlie's condition,they knew before the announcement that he could not tour,making up the whole bs about Charlie calling Steve and asking him to play for him.going on tour with COVID on the rise everywhere,etc...

If Charlie is too old and frail to play with the Stones then it's possible Mick and Keith are being kind, they are playing on without him because they have no choice ( tickets already sold to an already postponed tour ) and are officially keeping him in the band as a Rolling Stone, I don't believe Charlie is coming back, but at least Mick and Keith have said the door is still open for his return to the fans. That's actually a nice thing to do.

Date: August 13, 2021 08:07

ROPENI
GasLightStreet
ROPENI

So. In your excellent wisdom, it does not occur to you that "they" knew about his condition prior to releasing a statement that Charlie asked Steve to sit in place for him because.. Charlie can't so he... oh, right, ONLY because of contracts etc. How foxian of you to just assume such things because... it removes some of the shine from your Rolling Stones top fan trophy?

Your response if nothing but fake news. A wrong opinion. "Charging an enormous amount of money" - get over yerself. Enormous amount of money. What a joke. When's the last time you bought a ticket? 1981? Of course they knew what was going on before it was announced. Step off whatever bizarre train yer on.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 13, 2021 10:01

Rocktiludrop
ROPENI
GasLightStreet
ROPENI

If Charlie is too old and frail to play with the Stones then it's possible Mick and Keith are being kind, they are playing on without him because they have no choice ( tickets already sold to an already postponed tour ) and are officially keeping him in the band as a Rolling Stone, I don't believe Charlie is coming back, but at least Mick and Keith have said the door is still open for his return to the fans. That's actually a nice thing to do.

My thoughts too. I see no betrayal of fans as some others here claim at all. It's obvious that something is wrong with Charlie's health that does not allow him to tour right now, and they have to get this tour done to leave the door open for probably not more than a small handful of 60th Anniversary shows next year WITH CHARLIE if his health allows. No foul play at all, just what the circumstances require.

Whatever they plan for next year's 60th Anniversary, they want to do it with Charlie because it will be their final bow as a performing unit.

Date: August 13, 2021 15:23

GasLightStreet
ROPENI
GasLightStreet
ROPENI

So. In your excellent wisdom, it does not occur to you that "they" knew about his condition prior to releasing a statement that Charlie asked Steve to sit in place for him because.. Charlie can't so he... oh, right, ONLY because of contracts etc. How foxian of you to just assume such things because... it removes some of the shine from your Rolling Stones top fan trophy?

Your response if nothing but fake news. A wrong opinion. "Charging an enormous amount of money" - get over yerself. Enormous amount of money. What a joke. When's the last time you bought a ticket? 1981? Of course they knew what was going on before it was announced. Step off whatever bizarre train yer on.
wow I would suggest decaf,u r wind up too tight,relax is just my opinion,you don't agree good for you...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: August 14, 2021 06:08

ROPENI

Just curious: what charade?

Being an active band?

Or a creative band?

And what defines that?

If you go by Mick, his observation of The Rolling Stones not becomeing "The Beach Boys" certainly has become true in regard to The Rolling Stones: regurgitation.

But they HAVE done new material, even not counting BLUE AND LONESOME.

Big difference. But as far as their live shows go... no difference.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 27, 2021 05:17

Maybe Charlie's passing was an omen to the rest of the band members and crew. COVID is spreading and is extremely dangerous for these guys at their advanced age and medical history. Call off the tour now.

Posted by: mmurphy0817 ()
Date: August 27, 2021 05:28

wow- many here seem to be making a lot of assumptions. I am guessing most all of us have relatively little insight into who knew what when and what decisions were made by whom. ALso based on some media reports (not saying they are accurate) there was conjecture that Charlie would return, but things took a turn for the worse. True??? False??? Only his family and the Stones and their inner circle know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-27 05:36 by mmurphy0817.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 1, 2021 02:47

Did Charlie have a personal drum tech or did some other person take care of his kit and needs? Anyone know?

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2033
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home