Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 15 of 19
Re: IORRians' guitars
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 3, 2014 02:14

DandelionPowderman
Yep, that's the one. But I thought my amp was the same as Koen complained about as well?

I only played over a Hot Rod Deluxe, with black tolex. Maybe the newer ones with the tweed color are improved. What's your amp?

Date: March 3, 2014 11:53

This one

Date: March 3, 2014 12:19

Yeah, that looks like the same I had.

Date: March 3, 2014 12:54

You had three channels: Clean, drive and more drive?

Would be interesting to know more about your trouble with the distortion. I remember you weren't happy with the tone (sort of "impersonal") you were getting in general. I can relate to the latter, to some extent.

To sum it up (based on my experiences):
- Great crunchy sound on the middle (yellow light) channel (Master: 4, Drive: 5, T, B and M on 5-ish), reverb: 1-2.
- Great clean sound
- Solo sound (drive and more drive) straight through the Fender pedal: The tone is a bit dull. Stinging sound with little "personality".

Ironically enough, this amp sounds way better when not playing Fender guitars. The smoothest and best sounds come from a Les Paul, an Egmond and a Gretsch Electromatic.

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: March 3, 2014 13:13

DandelionPowderman

Would be interesting to know more about your trouble with the distortion. I remember you weren't happy with the tone (sort of "impersonal") you were getting in general. I can relate to the latter, to some extent.

- Great crunchy sound on the middle (yellow light) channel (Master: 4, Drive: 5, T, B and M on 5-ish), reverb: 1-2.
- Great clean sound
- Solo sound (drive and more drive) straight through the Fender pedal: The tone is a bit dull. Stinging sound with little "personality".

Ironically enough, this amp sounds way better when not playing Fender guitars. The smoothest and best sounds come from a Les Paul, an Egmond and a Gretsch Electromatic.

A friend of mine use the Deluxe and he is very satisfied with the distorted sound it gives and uses only that. I thought the Deluxe is the smaller brother of the DeVille, the same amp just smaller. But could it be that the Deluxe has a better crunch channel?

I agree though, that it sounds better with a Les Paul, than with a tele or strat. Might be that the amp is very bright on its own and with a fender it gets to bright? I dont know.....

Date: March 3, 2014 13:21

DandelionPowderman

Yes, three channels, it's been a few years. My other beef with it was that even at 2-3, the clean channel was already very loud. Anyway, I sold it, and used the money to build my own Tweed Deluxe, and I've never looked back.

Date: March 3, 2014 13:28

Koen
DandelionPowderman

Yes, three channels, it's been a few years. My other beef with it was that even at 2-3, the clean channel was already very loud. Anyway, I sold it, and used the money to build my own Tweed Deluxe, and I've never looked back.

That's great! thumbs up

It is correct that you have to lower the clean sound, compared to the other channels, for leveling if you wanna switch during a song.

Date: March 3, 2014 13:31

gibsonman
DandelionPowderman

- Great clean sound

A friend of mine use the Deluxe and he is very satisfied with the distorted sound it gives and uses only that. I thought the Deluxe is the smaller brother of the DeVille, the same amp just smaller. But could it be that the Deluxe has a better crunch channel?

I agree though, that it sounds better with a Les Paul, than with a tele or strat. Might be that the amp is very bright on its own and with a fender it gets to bright? I dont know.....

Yeah, it isn't THAT bad. But a Tube Screamer or a Fuzz Face sound warmer, if wanna have a lot of distortion while playing solos, for instance.

You're right on about the trebly/bright sound.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 3, 2014 13:44

I am convinced that the future of "traditional" amps (as opposed to software) will be a single channel hi-fi machine to do the hard work while pedals and preamps will add the color.

C

Date: March 3, 2014 13:57

DandelionPowderman
gibsonman
DandelionPowderman

- Great clean sound

Yeah, it isn't THAT bad. But a Tube Screamer or a Fuzz Face sound warmer, if wanna have a lot of distortion while playing solos, for instance.

Never tried the Tube screamer, but I might try it soon then. Just have to learn to use my new Vox first....

Date: March 3, 2014 14:07

I now remember I also tried a TS on the clean channel, but it just wasn't my sound, it felt like patching it. Of course, I only tried it with a Tele >grinning smiley<

Date: March 3, 2014 14:25

grinning smiley

Date: March 3, 2014 14:28

gibsonman
DandelionPowderman
gibsonman
DandelionPowderman

- Great clean sound

Never tried the Tube screamer, but I might try it soon then. Just have to learn to use my new Vox first....

Go for it!

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: March 4, 2014 12:31

Koen

Mine is not a Hot Rod DeVille but a Blues DeVille Reissue which mimics the '93 Tweed series. It only has 2 channels.

[www.fender.com]

The 3-channel Hot Rod DeVille has a supposedly more modern sound.

[www.fender.com]

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: March 4, 2014 15:12

DandelionPowderman
gibsonman
DandelionPowderman
gibsonman
DandelionPowderman

- Great clean sound

Go for it!

I only use the clean channel of this amp and use pedals - mainly a Fulltone OCD - for dirt. Play a double-cut Gibson with P90s (like a Les Paul Special) through it and have been getting complimented on the sound! It IS a loud amp,though, and I use it with a rock band. For quieter gigs I use a telecaster through a smaller amp (although I'm in the process of "upgrading" a tele for louder duties).

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: March 4, 2014 15:38

I got a Hot Rod Deluxe after years of playing a Peavey Bandit transistor amp. What a difference! It took me a while to get used to but I think it's great. The crunch channel is ok as long as you don't crank the overdrive too much. It has a weird kind of "flabby" bottom end, which is great for solos but ugly for rhythm. Yes, it's loud but so what?! It takes pedals really well too.

Date: March 4, 2014 16:48

phelge
I got a Hot Rod Deluxe after years of playing a Peavey Bandit transistor amp. What a difference! It took me a while to get used to but I think it's great. The crunch channel is ok as long as you don't crank the overdrive too much. It has a weird kind of "flabby" bottom end, which is great for solos but ugly for rhythm. Yes, it's loud but so what?! It takes pedals really well too.

With all kinds of guitars, or just Fenders? My Gretsch rhythm sound is awesome, while the Tele sounds a little dubious (volume knob on 5-ish on overdrive with the crunch channel).

The amp is a little light on bass with my Fenders as well...

Posted by: King Bee ()
Date: April 30, 2014 15:20

Posted by: King Bee ()
Date: April 30, 2014 19:59

Date: May 1, 2014 00:14

I just recently got an Orange amp. That thing is a beast.
BTW I have one of the black Feneder Tele Customs too. Incredible guitar.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 1, 2014 01:09

Palace Revolution 2000
I just recently got an Orange amp. That thing is a beast.

...Like the color of an amp makes a difference confused smiley......just kiddinggrinning smiley

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: May 1, 2014 01:51

DandelionPowderman
This one

I have one of those too! Lots of tone capability with that thing. Our front man plays so loud though, the deluxe just can't cut through. Sounds really terrific with any of the ES 3XX guitars.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: June 9, 2014 00:36

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-07 12:40 by colonial.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 9, 2014 01:05

DandelionPowderman
This one

I have the Deville model same thing with 2 10's. Reverb tank went from bad 5 cent diode. Midrange pot was shot after a few months. Silver plating tarnished after a year. EQ is hard to control at high volumes. I'm sorry I bought the thing. Third version is out with new improvements. Most new fender amps are junk made in China.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 9, 2014 11:20

The Fender Hotrod DeVille comes with either 2x12" speakers or 4x10".
The Fender Hotrod Deluxe has a single 12" speaker just like the tweed Fender Blues Deluxe, which I have.

all of these amps can be improved by changing the first pre-amp (V1) tube from stock 12AX7s to 12AT7.
it will lower the gain of the preamp and make it sound less sharp/edgy.
also the volume knob becomes more controlable.

A speaker swap can also help to improve your sound. the stock Fender speakers aren't the best tools in the shed.

Date: June 12, 2014 22:25

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-07 12:42 by colonial.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 12, 2014 22:44

gibsonman
DandelionPowderman
gibsonman
DandelionPowderman

- Great clean sound

Try a Hotcake with your Vox.

Date: June 12, 2014 22:48

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-07 12:42 by colonial.

Date: June 12, 2014 23:28

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-07 12:41 by colonial.

Date: June 13, 2014 01:05

MingSubu
gibsonman
DandelionPowderman
gibsonman
DandelionPowderman

- Great clean sound

Try a Hotcake with your Vox.

Hotcake? Have to say I really like my vox. I often use a boost pedal and that makes a really good thicker sound. But, I haven't sold my DeVille, and probably never will. Thinking of a a/b switch and use both amps on stage... winking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 15 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1291
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home