Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 19
Re: IORRians' guitars
Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: July 15, 2009 18:40

mickijaggeroo
Thanks for the answer, I´ll most likely invest in another Edwards. The Keith relic, well, the one I bought is the last one I´ve seen, unfortunately.

As far as I know, they're discontinued, so my only hope would be second hand. But I'm sure that getting the '72 Custom Re-issue is close to the same thing.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: July 18, 2009 23:36

Now it's here, and I love it already.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: August 25, 2009 12:02

Took this pic last weekend.

Genuine 1992 Zemaitis, 2003 R4 Braz. Board, 2009 CR7, 2007 R9, 60RI Strat.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: August 25, 2009 12:34

Some more pics of the Zemaitis that Tony built for me in 1992.
Not one of his high end models but still an awesome guitar.

Date: August 25, 2009 13:19

Very nice collection Phil Good!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: boogie ()
Date: August 25, 2009 15:28

Hello guys
at first I'd like to (re)introduce myself as I've been logged in in the past with different nicks - colditalianpizza, partner in crime ... -
here's my attempt to reproduce keith's micawber

[flipside64.blogspot.com]

see ya

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: August 25, 2009 18:28

My 52 tele reissue has the laquer finish. Im thinking about having it redone. Any one have a tele with laquer and had it refinished w nitro finish? Other than looks any improvement w sound?

Go Dawgs!

Date: August 26, 2009 15:55

@@#$%&
I think most it depends on wood so please be sure what kind is yours: ash,swamp ash and alder are highy resonant so it could be worth. A polyester lacquer finish doesn't allow body wood to breathe as nitro does so stripping it out and repaint it could be a solution but it's not easy at all especially if you'll do it by yourself. Don't know about the cost a luthier could ask You.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: August 26, 2009 19:19

A refinish can be expensive and can reduce the resale value of your guitar. I prefer nitro, but can live with polyurethane (and there are those who prefer it).

Don't even think about trying the job yourself and be very careful about who you trust to do it. My advice would be ...don't. If you really want a nitro finish on a 52 R.I., buy one - the USA model is good and, of course, there are custom shop options. You could sell your current guitar if you really need the cash towards the purchase (I would keep it as back-up or for a different tuning, etc., but I do tend to hang on to guitars for the flimsiest of reasons).

You may be lucky and get a cheap used nitro body off eBay or similar and transfer the electrics etc., but the simplest way is to get another guitar if nitro really makes that much difference to you.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 26, 2009 23:28

nankerplege Other than looks any improvement w sound?

No! ...well, maybe if you were a bat.

boogie
... A polyester lacquer finish doesn't allow body wood to breathe as nitro does so stripping it out and repaint it could be a solution but ...

I'll just quote Mark Kendrick, master builder from Fender here:

Nitro is not a superior finish. An electric guitar doesn't 'breathe' at 120 db.

you can read the rest here: [www.iorr.org]

Date: August 26, 2009 23:51

Yes that was very helpful. No way I would try it myself. The problem with buying another guitar is that I just bought a Dan Armstrong and my wife is probably going to kill me. So no funds for a while

Go Dawgs!

Date: August 27, 2009 10:53

@open-g
polyester or poliurtehane finishes are thicker and heavier (and less expensive)than nitro hence the wood vibrations are less, that's sure. other is how much You can hear the difference. anyway what did You expect from a fender builder as a reply considering fender is using poly finishes since 1968? and why most of custom products are finished in nitro? I don't think just for the look ...
ciao

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 27, 2009 11:00

I would have to agree. In my experience, a guitar with nitro finish has more resonance and to my ears a better sound.

Date: August 27, 2009 12:35

My old guitars smiling smiley

5 stringed Tele:

Black Strat:

Cherry Strat:

Semi acoustic Washburn:

Date: August 27, 2009 16:30

boogie
@open-g
polyester or poliurtehane finishes are thicker and heavier (and less expensive)than nitro hence the wood vibrations are less, that's sure. other is how much You can hear the difference.

huh, generalisations eye rolling smiley
poly finishes can be thicker & heavier - but don't have to be. think of the thin finish and thin skin. only a few Custom shop models have no poly undercoat.
less expensive was Leo's and still is Fender's motivation.
a nitro finished body with some flaws showing would need to be snaded, filled and repainted over and over again. now,that's expensive and very time consuming. it takes weeks, better months, 'till the nitro cures.

boogie
anyway what did You expect from a fender builder as a reply considering fender is using poly finishes since 1968?
ciao

what do I expect? Mark Kendrick basicly says: "Nitro is not a superior finish. I like polyester. I like Nitro colors too."

and why most of custom products are finished in nitro? I don't think just for the look ...

that's not even true! only very few CS fiddles are nitro finished through and through. you'll have to research hard to find one and have lots of $$$ at hand.
most of 'em have a poly undercoat.
it's a marketing gimmick. if the maket demands nitro - they shall have. ('cept for the undercoat, lol)

Date: August 27, 2009 16:40

nankerphlege
Yes that was very helpful. No way I would try it myself. The problem with buying another guitar is that I just bought a Dan Armstrong and my wife is probably going to kill me. So no funds for a while

That Dan Armstrong - is it an acrylic, like Keith's? ...and yet you have a problem with polyurethane on your Tele?

dang! that's bound to sound real dead spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: August 27, 2009 16:47

terraplane
I would have to agree. In my experience, a guitar with nitro finish has more resonance and to my ears a better sound.

How did you experience that? confused smiley

two guitars from the same batch, made on the same day - don't even sound identical!
try a different set of strings or change the heigth of the pickups and saddles - then you'll probably hear a difference.

...but poly vs. nitro? xcuse me, while I lmao.

ps. we're not talking about acoustic guitars or violins, btw.
in which case I'd agree.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-27 16:50 by open-g.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 27, 2009 16:58

Usa-strat -79

Epiphone Les Paul -04

2 1 2 0

Date: August 27, 2009 17:34

Open-G;

I think I understand your point but the tele is a completely different beast than the DA. I am still working on getting 'used' to the DA so right now I cant give a good evaluation other than with the single coil pu it is like a lp jr. on steriods. But the tele sounds wonderful with the paf in the neck but the single coil lacks twang--- "could be the pickup" but the guitar is not responsive and is lacking just a little something. Besides the laquer finish looks great but is hard play (can be a little sticky feeling) and feels about 6 inches thick

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: August 27, 2009 18:13

Hello,
I just got a Gretsch 5129. I love it. I named it Les b/c it arrived the day Les Paul died.

My next quest is a Reverend Club King RT. I played one a few months ago and was absolutley blown away.

Date: August 27, 2009 18:56

...but the guitar is not responsive and is lacking just a little something.

I'd suggest to try small steps first.
try the old luthier neck tighten and get more sustain trick @ no cost.

1) tune your guitar
2) slacken the 4 neck screws each 1/4 turn. tuning will be slack now.
3) re-tune
4) thighten the neck screws. tuning will be sharp now.
5) re-tune, done.

If for any reason the neck wasn't sitting in it's pocket as best as it could - it will now and the guitar will feel more responsive and snappy.
if it's the same as before, then it was ok. nothing gained, nothing lost.
2 out of my bunch of Teles fared well with that lil treatment.

a sticky finish can be approached with some fine 320 grid sandpaper. done that - feels fine.

changing pick-ups...well, that's a wide field of options.
before changing I'd try pup-height adjustment, then maybe pots & caps replacements.

good luck

Date: August 27, 2009 18:58

Cafaro
Hello,
I just got a Gretsch 5129. I love it. I named it Les b/c it arrived the day Les Paul died.

My next quest is a Reverend Club King RT. I played one a few months ago and was absolutley blown away.

Without pics - it never happened grinning smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 27, 2009 19:15

here is my two cents on this 52 tele reissue .before striping the finish ,try replacing the pickups with fender custom shop texas special tele picups .this is what i use in my 1993 usa 52 butterscoth tele and this guitar screams with tone .i own 8 guitars and this one plays so easy and is dripping with tone no lie .yeah this one is the ugly duckling of the bunch but man i cant tell you enough good things about the tone and how easy it plays .something about an ash body with a maple neck and the right pickups and you have tone NIRVANA .keep rocking .use fender amps !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-27 19:21 by The Greek.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 27, 2009 22:22

Nitro is good because it is easy to apply thin. Poly is bad, because it is almost always applied thick. If you apply poly as thin as nitro I am certain nobody can hear or feel the difference between them.

To add: ALL Fender guitars, including the expensive CS Fender guitars, have poly undercoats. All Fender guitars not from the CS but marketed as nitro actualy are 90% poly with a thin nitro top coat.

All Gibson guitars marketed as nitro are 100% nitro. The difference in Fender and Gibson is due to the strict Californian environmental laws.

Mathijs

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 27, 2009 22:53

Mathijs
Nitro is good because it is easy to apply thin. Poly is bad, because it is almost always applied thick. If you apply poly as thin as nitro I am certain nobody can hear or feel the difference between them.

To add: ALL Fender guitars, including the expensive CS Fender guitars, have poly undercoats. All Fender guitars not from the CS but marketed as nitro actualy are 90% poly with a thin nitro top coat.

All Gibson guitars marketed as nitro are 100% nitro. The difference in Fender and Gibson is due to the strict Californian environmental laws.

Mathijs
good post ,especialy about the california laws .

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 27, 2009 23:30

@ Dandelion Powderman

Somewhere in the backround of your nice little band photo is the part of a Premier Drum.
Now, - I like that!

Have you got a pic of all of the drums? (I know-very OT)!
Best (and greetings to "your drummer")

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-27 23:31 by CousinC.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 28, 2009 12:50

open-g
terraplane

How did you experience that? confused smiley

two guitars from the same batch, made on the same day - don't even sound identical!
try a different set of strings or change the heigth of the pickups and saddles - then you'll probably hear a difference.

...but poly vs. nitro? xcuse me, while I lmao.

ps. we're not talking about acoustic guitars or violins, btw.
in which case I'd agree.

Playing electric guitars without plugging them in is how you can hear it. Yes, I am aware of how string height, guage will affect sound as well.

Date: August 28, 2009 13:35

For CousinC:

Sorry, this is all we have. I bet you'll like my drummer's own set better, a 60s Pearl Jazz set w 10 inch snare. See down below (at least, he does smiling smiley ). The Premier kit was the venue's property.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 28, 2009 14:12

Mine came in useful when I got shipwrecked the other week.

Posted by: heinz_str ()
Date: August 28, 2009 15:10

[[b]size=medium][/size]US Stratocaster, Ultra Floyd Rose
Gibson Explorer lim. Edition, Korina Wood
Martin HD28
Martin D18
Ovation Custom Legend
Taylor CE 314[/b][/b]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1421
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home