Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Difference between Stones fans and fans of THE WHO
Date: November 17, 2006 08:36

I'm a fan of both the Stones and THE WHO. I saw both bands last week in Las Vegas. One thing I've noticed is a major difference between fans of each band.
Stones fans tend not to want to hear Stones War Horses, Greatest Hits, Hot Rocks, overplayed radio songs, etc. However fans of The Who would be pissed off if The Who did not play their War Horses such as Won't Get Fooled Again, Baba O' Riley, Who Are You, My Generation, Can't Explain, Pinball Wizard live in concert...to name a few.
Why is that?
Interesting phenomena...

Re: Difference between Stones fans and fans of THE WHO
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 17, 2006 09:29

I have never been a fan of Daltreys voice, but I like The Who's sound....it is special, or shall I say it was...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: November 17, 2006 09:32

I think there are varius reasons.
- There are only 50 % of the original band on stage, while the bass player died in 2002, fans must be happy enough to see them in 2006 on stage.
- Simple as it is, The Who's back catalogue is not as big and good as the one of the Stones.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: November 17, 2006 10:01

Hanns makes a good point about the back catalogue of the Who not being as big as the Stones. Don't the Stones have nearly twice as many studio albums?

Besides the Stones have toured much more over the last twenty years or so- so the warhorses have been played to death.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: November 17, 2006 10:29

maybe it's a Vegas thing.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 17, 2006 13:30

Who fans were more violent at the show I saw them at.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: November 17, 2006 13:35

The Who have a brace of excellent singles and albums (65-73) to pick from. They've done specials like a Quadrophenia tour but untill 1999- they hardly toured at all. If they keep this rate up in a couple of years time the same complaints will come out.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 17, 2006 15:54

I've always liked the Who.

But for whatever reason, rightly or wrongly, I don't see them as a band anymore.
It's not just that half the personel are different. It's more to do with the lack of continuity in their work history I think. The Stones have retained their identity by never stopping, they evolve and change but stay the same.
With The Who it's like Pete and Roger going on the road to play some old Who songs. Yes, I know they've just done a well received new album...but I don't connect it with the Who of old.
Any of this make any sense ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-17 15:59 by Spud.

Posted by: Monty5 ()
Date: November 17, 2006 15:56

Hanns Rainsch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> - Simple as it is, The Who's back catalogue is not
> as big and good as the one of the Stones.

Not even close.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 17, 2006 15:59

You will find a far, far lower chick ratio at a Who show.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: November 17, 2006 16:00

I see ur point Spud and kinda agree but it is good to have them back for probably one last time. And the album is an absolute corker! Tea and Theatre is a very graceful finally........

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 17, 2006 16:38

jamesfdouglas Wrote:
> You will find a far, far lower chick ratio at a
> Who show.

This is very true. I remember lining up in the freezin' f***ing cold with my Mrs outside the Shepherds Bush Empire in the very early morning hours of 21st December 1999 to get tickets for the WHO's two "millenium club shows (21st and 22nd December), and at some point she made a stark observation. As she was walking back to where we were all lined up from a "emergency black coffee run", she noticed one particular feature of the line of people that had built up outside the venue ......... SHE was the ONLY female in attendance !! Aaaaaagh, guess that's why I love her !!

Another thing I've noticed is that you get told off at WHO shows for wearing Rolling Stones T-shirts. Outrageous, wot's the matter with some people ?? Don't know if it happens the other way round, because I've ever seen any WHO T-shirts at a Stones concert.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 17, 2006 16:46

I can't picture people telling anyone off for wearing any shirt - even a Beatles shirt - at a Stones show!

Getting told off at a Who show... geez! Well, maybe Who fans consitutde a lager ratio of tortured angry sods. I mean, I passively dig the Who, but how many Stones songs are about alienation???

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: November 17, 2006 17:05

the Stones fans are balder and the Who fans have bigger noses.......and it's a tie between pot-bellies

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-17 17:09 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 17, 2006 17:21

I was a big fan of both bands when I was younger. Saw them both in my youth. (I can remember the Who with their own "Keith" back in the day.) But I've only remained passionate about the Stones.

For awhile, I stayed a fan of the Who for some time after Moon's death. I also dug some of Townshend's solo stuff. I went to see a reconstituted Who perform "tommy' at RCMH, "Quadraphenia" at MSG, and Townshend at BAM in the 80s and 90s. Pretty good shows all, in fact...

But I've lost interest in them as a band. "It's Hard" could have been called "It's Over"... And when Entwistle died...

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 17, 2006 17:30

Beast Wrote:
> jamesfdouglas Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You will find a far, far lower chick ratio at a
> > Who show.
>
> This is very true. I remember lining up in the
> freezin' f***ing cold with my Mrs outside the
> Shepherds Bush Empire in the very early morning
> hours of 21st December 1999 to get tickets for the
> WHO's two "millenium club shows (21st and 22nd
> December), and at some point she made a stark
> observation. As she was walking back to where we
> were all lined up from a "emergency black coffee
> run", she noticed one particular feature of the
> line of people that had built up outside the venue
> ......... SHE was the ONLY female in attendance !!
> Aaaaaagh, guess that's why I love her !!
>
> Another thing I've noticed is that you get told
> off at WHO shows for wearing Rolling Stones
> T-shirts. Outrageous, wot's the matter with some
> people ?? Don't know if it happens the other way
> round, because I've ever seen any WHO T-shirts at
> a Stones concert.

Whoops, sorry about that. Posted under Beast's login. It was supposed to ME !!

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: November 17, 2006 17:30

I am also a big fan of both, and saw both shows last week.

When you take away both of their warhorse songs, the stones songs are 'stronger'- more solid.

The who is great, but the amount of great songs that mick and keith has written is much greater. I like the more obscure who songs, but nothing like the top 100 songs of the stones.

It was very special to see the Who and the Stones back to back (with very good openers too- the Pretenders and Bonnie Raitt).

Posted by: Chav Watch ()
Date: November 17, 2006 18:32

Stones fans smell nicer than Who fans.

Date: November 17, 2006 18:34

Many great insights, thanks. The Whwo went 24 years without new material whereas the Stones have had several albums/CD's. I'll have to tally up the number of albums each had between 63-82 and see if there's any disparity there. I'm certain the Stones had more Top 40 hits as the Who emerged more as an art-rock band for a while but can intertwine PoP hits when need be.

Quite honestly, I think there current band sound may be their best...thier live performances were erratic and sound quality was notoriously awful when they were younger and had all 4 original members.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 17, 2006 18:41

I remember Keith Moon walking off stage in a sulk for about half an hour at one gig in the early 70s.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 17, 2006 18:44

When I saw The Who at the London Forum a few years back, I did notice that there were a lot of 50 somethings in the audience, but they semed far less conservitive than the average banker you seem to get at a Stones show these days.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 17, 2006 18:55

I was there for the Who's first show of a tour (76? im guessing) in Boston... where they had to stop the show* after only 2 songs, because Keith Moon couldn't continue,,, unbelievable, sad... And Keith Moon's decline (like Brian Jones') so apparent, even at the time. Sad...I don't think people were completely surprised when he died soon after that...

*The Who later performed a rescheduled make-up concert in Boston...a lot like we see these days... and tonight in AC!

BTW, Nice that the Stones are back tonight... wish i was going! I hope everyone enjoys a good show.

to the Stones:
"Have a good show tongiht."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-17 19:09 by schillid.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: November 17, 2006 20:39

it's beacouse 50% of who songs just suck, and only very few stones songs suck! love the who, they wrote some real masterpieces, but the're so incostant!

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: November 17, 2006 22:18

The 2 front row Who gigs I've caught...I wore Stones shirts. I certainly got plenty of dirty looks from fellow front row people...and even Pete himself seemed annoyed with it. I figured if he said anything (highly unlikely)...I'd just semi-quote Pete himself..."they may be your friends...but they're my @#$%& idols"!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 17, 2006 22:25

I liked then till I saw Daltrey's 80s-hairstyle.
Also noted lack of broad, strong song material.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: November 17, 2006 23:21

The crowd sucked at the recent Who show. The crowds sucked at recent Stones shows too. Other than that I don't really understand what the OP is getting at except if you spend too much time inside the hardcore circle jerk of any popular band you are going to hear a lot of people complaining about too many hits in the set.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: November 18, 2006 01:09

The WHO used to be my second favorite band when they had Moon and Entwhistle but in the last 20 years, I've lost interest. I have seen them 6 times, mostly in the 70's and I can testify to the fact that they were AMAZING! Extremely powerful! I have seen Tommy all the way through 4 times and Who's Next also and they were top shelf, no one except the Stones could compare in their day. Even Pre-Tommy, I CAN SEE FOR MILES days, they were raw power! By the way, I'm female and in the 70's at least half of the audience was female! Daltrey was a HOTTIE! I think after Moon died they should have just quit. Kenney Jones was ok but they ended up fighting alot amongst themselves, Townsend and Daltrey have never really loved each other like Mick and Keith do. Their competition is lethal! At least when Mick and Keith fight" theres no doubt about the affection they have for each other! I always though Pete was one day going to KILL Roger! Pete is IMO a true genius, TOMMY will stand the test of time as a masterpiece! I won't go to see them today, I want to remember them at their peak!

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: November 18, 2006 01:12

P.S. I think Frank is right, WHO fans do not mind hearing the warhorses because they rarely tour so any time they play, it's a treat! ( I personally don't want to see this version of the WHO but I am in the minority I think!). Their catalog is pretty extensive, not like the Stones but still BIG! They have lots of material to select from.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 18, 2006 01:31

They have enough material to change around a couple of songs a night.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 18, 2006 02:45

I saw both shows last weekend too, wearing a Stones jacket at the Who.
I waited for the warhorses at the Who, true, for reasons people said.

As far as feelings between Pete and Roger, I noticed a definite comaraderie
at the show, especially when they were jamming on My Generation.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2885
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home