Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Life & Times of Michael Cohl
Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 16, 2006 22:14

The Stones took your money long time before Michael Cohl. They performed in stadiums and sold T-shirts even in the 70's and 80's. The shopping and moneymaking is a part of the modern world. Check out the shopping malls over the next 5 weeks and ask yourself is this because of Michael Cohl, or is it part of the world you live in. Also, ask your girl friend how many shoes she owns. Probably more than two pairs. And Michael Cohl does not sell shoes...

PS. By the way. I can't find this "product" on Amazon. Anybody having a link? Thanks!

PPS. I don't work for Michael Cohl. I don't even know him. But I know he is just a regular guy. I see him all the time. Not at all like some people talk about him here. Except for being clever and good at what he does, he is just a normal guy. No big deal. But I suppose people feel better by thinking he is a bad guy, knowing all your money goes every time the Stones tour...

Bjornulf

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 16, 2006 23:49

georgeV Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is a very good documentary with lots of Stones
> footage and interviews with Mick and keith, Cohl's
> wife and children, business associates. It was a
> realistic view of some of his business practices,
> hard driving work ethic and disposition as a MEAN
> SOB according to his son. They address some of the
> legal accusations that the press has made over the
> years and you have to wonder how he got away with
> some of the stuff he has pulled. Legal or illegal?
> If it weren't the world of rock 'n roll, you would
> have to wonder if he could get away with some of
> the monopolizing stunts he has pulled.

Thanks George,
you answered the inital question

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 16, 2006 23:59

If anyone has seen this video....why is Bob Saget in it?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: November 17, 2006 00:45

bv Wrote:
> The Stones took your money long time before
> Michael Cohl. They performed in stadiums and sold
> T-shirts even in the 70's and 80's. The shopping
> and moneymaking is a part of the modern world.
> Check out the shopping malls over the next 5 weeks
> and ask yourself is this because of Michael Cohl,
> or is it part of the world you live in. Also, ask
> your girl friend how many shoes she owns. Probably
> more than two pairs. And Michael Cohl does not
> sell shoes...
>
> PS. By the way. I can't find this "product" on
> Amazon. Anybody having a link? Thanks!
>
> PPS. I don't work for Michael Cohl. I don't even
> know him. But I know he is just a regular guy. I
> see him all the time. Not at all like some people
> talk about him here. Except for being clever and
> good at what he does, he is just a normal guy. No
> big deal. But I suppose people feel better by
> thinking he is a bad guy, knowing all your money
> goes every time the Stones tour...

wise words. I mean that really honestly. fans think often in a romantic way and dont wanna see reality. just think about how a lot fans judge when it comes down to Mick and Keith. Mick is respected as a great singer, but theres always this image that he is the businessman in Stones, whereas Keith has image that he is supercool, in in for the music and does not really care about money. in many fans reactions there is stereotype that if fans are not happy with certain things, they blame Jagger, never Keith. if certain things are great, fans tend to honor Keith more than Jagger. now theres no need for this anymore: Mick and Keith can both be good guys because we have a bad guy in the game: Cohl. now Cohl serves as the bad guy people can blame for whatever they dont like around their favourite band. they can project all their Stones frustration at him - and at same time forget that he is employed by the Stones. he is not big bad decisionmaker, decisions are made by Stones (including Keith!), but I dont feel sorry for Cohl because he is well paid.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: November 17, 2006 01:15

Who is Bob Saget?

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 17, 2006 01:31

Bob Saget is a second (or 3rd) rate stand-up comedian. He was on the sit-com Full House and he currently hosts a night-time gameshow....not DEAL OR NO DEAL..the other one...i forget what it's called...ONE AGAINST 100....or something like that. He's most well known for being the previous host of AMERICA'S FUNNIEST HOME VIDEOS.

[en.wikipedia.org]

His name was in the credits as listed on the IMDB site for this video. (see 1st post)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-17 01:35 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: November 17, 2006 04:18

I do not recall him being in the documentary. I remember Bill Ballard Cohl's business partner, Cohl, his wife and two sons, Mick, Keith, a competing promoter from back in the day. I think there may have been footage of Harold Ballard who is Bill's Dad (deceased) and former owner of the Maple Leaf Gardens and the Toronto Leafs, other promoters who owned companies that Cohl bought. Maybe Saget shares a name with one of these people?

Date: November 20, 2006 01:42

Bjornulf is correct. Michael Cohl is not a bad guy in any way. Thanks to him, I was able to access the Rattlesnake Inn this past September in Halifax. I had a chance to meet him there and say thanks. He was very polite and engaging. He certainly was not throwing his weight around. No one in there was. Most people in life are just like us - regular and ordinary - thank God for that.

Date: November 20, 2006 02:16

When the Stones did the tour rehearsals club gig at the Phoenix club in Toronto Canada on Aug 10 2005 Michael Cohl let in some 20 or so fans during the show. He is not in charge of the doors or tickets at all but still he helped true fans in so that they could see parts of the show. Also he gave hints to anyone who attended the rehearsals during the late summer of 2005. He is certainly not a bad guy. He is just a business guy who happens to make the Stones into a commercial product, like they have been years and years before he met them. Like it or not.

Bjornulf

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: November 20, 2006 03:19

bv Wrote:

> PS. By the way. I can't find this "product" on
> Amazon. Anybody having a link? Thanks!

This Cohl biography is part of a series produced by the CBC, the state run television and radio broadcaster in Canada. More information here [www.cbc.ca]

They have some biographies from the series for sale but it looks like Cohl's isn't one of them.

Maybe they can help you if you send an e-mail and ask nicely...

Date: November 20, 2006 03:25

I know it was broadcasted one time in Canada, a couple of months ago, but I have never seen it for sale. According to a industry report I have read about this programme, it is a first ever when Michael Cohl is actually talking. Should be pretty interesting. Anybody in Canada taping it?

Bjornulf

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 20, 2006 04:50

Harm Wrote:
> Why should we hate them? I just "hate" him for
> turning the stones into a company

Well, the Stones turned into a company when they became professional musicians. Hard to believe, but true.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: February 7, 2013 20:28

bv
I know it was broadcasted one time in Canada, a couple of months ago, but I have never seen it for sale. According to a industry report I have read about this programme, it is a first ever when Michael Cohl is actually talking. Should be pretty interesting. Anybody in Canada taping it?

This is a really old thread but I'm trying to locate the program "Satisfaction: The Life and Times of Michael Cohl"

Was this ever available at any time?

Amazon lists it but it's "currently unavailable"

www.amazon.com

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: February 7, 2013 20:39

Try contacting the CBC. I know they have programs they've aired for sale.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 7, 2013 20:42

GumbootCloggeroo
Try contacting the CBC. I know they have programs they've aired for sale.

The Cohl's Biopic Channel?

They're still around?

Date: February 7, 2013 21:15

Michael Cohl sent me two backstage passes once. He had seen a Stones newspaper article I wrote - a light-hearted one about how I had missed a 2005 Stones show because of a kidney stone attack. I never asked for the passes.

Backstage I got to thank him. I found him friendly and approachable.

BV is right. Without guys like him, we wouldn't be seeing our favorite groups.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: February 8, 2013 01:25

jagger is a business man,that is the reason we have to pay £450.00 for tickets & more,stones were laughing all the way to the bank with $38 million.
ITS ONLY ROCK-ROLL BUT WE LIKE IT

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: February 8, 2013 22:05

Video clip about Cohl from 2011 on CBC:

www.cbc.ca

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 20, 2017 18:02

IT’S NOW ON ITUNES (2017) TO RENT OR PURCHASE

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 20, 2017 18:14

35love
IT’S NOW ON ITUNES (2017) TO RENT OR PURCHASE

And on Amazon as well: [www.amazon.com]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 20, 2017 18:42

What's he up to these days?
Is it Broadway productions rather than concert tours?
I wonder if he sees much of Mick.

Date: November 20, 2017 22:12

My favorite story Michael Cohl ever tells: (copied)
They call me back, at which point Keith pulls out his knife and slams it on the table and says, “What the hell do I have you for? Do I have to go over there and fire him myself? One of us is leaving the building – either him, or us.” I said, “No. I’ll go do it. Don’t you worry.”

Good documentary, just viewed entire 45 minutes. I’d seen clips before and read the Barry Avrich book.

Date: November 20, 2017 22:22

Bill Ballard passed in 2014 RIP
[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 20, 2017 23:06

I have met a few years ago, Michael Cohl in Amsterdam while The Stones performed in The Netherlands and he was pretty ok with me.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 21, 2017 15:01

"The world´s greatest concert promoter?"
Moneywise, maybe.

In terms of credibility amd loyalty and vision
it´s of course Bill Graham and then Fritz Rau.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: November 21, 2017 20:33

Pick up the book Ticketmasters and start reading at page 196.

Date: November 21, 2017 21:04

Dan
Pick up the book Ticketmasters and start reading at page 196.

Oh, ew. I bought the Kindle edition for $4.99
I did not realize the connections here.
Everything is so sorted and tainted
taking a break.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 22, 2017 17:37

Seems a lot of people forgot about Jagger deciding Graham wasn't fit. Cohl presented something Jagger, for once, didn't have to worry about: risk.

Cohl offered to act as a national promoter, risking a huge multimillion-dollar guarantee for the opportunity to make big money.

Both Graham and Cohl made their way to Barbados to meet with the group in person over Presidents Day weekend. Graham spent two fruitless days attempting to convince the Stones and their advisers that what had worked the last time would work again. "Bill Graham was told that the difference between his offer and Cohl's was 'tens of millions,'" said a source familiar with the Barbados meetings. "Over and over he was told, 'No matter what you offer, you can't match Cohl.'"

Ultimately, a contract between Cohl and the Stones was signed in Barbados in mid-March. As a consolation, Graham was offered a high-paying position as "creative consultant," which would have put him in charge of such concerns as public relations and stage set designs. He turned that down. Losing the tour has apparently devastated him; although the promoter still isn't talking, he seemed uncharacteristically low-key and distracted during the press conference for an AIDS benefit concert a week after the deal with Cohl was concluded.

[www.rollingstone.com]

There's a thread about Bill Graham here:
[www.iorr.org]

Graham was crushed about the Stones not using him? Keith's response: It's just business.

The Stones grew up, Graham was still a fanboy.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1908
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home