Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Life & Times of Michael Cohl
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 15, 2006 06:08

Has anyone seen this, to tell what its about?
well, I can guess quite a few things - but still...

Satisfaction: The Life & Times of Michael Cohl (2006)
The most famous man you have never heard of. The story of Rolling Stones promoter Micahel Cohl.

They don't give much info here^^
[www.imdb.com]

Re: The Life & Times of Michael Cohl
Posted by: RollingStoner ()
Date: November 15, 2006 07:41

Wow. As if Cohl doesn't have enough money............ I bet he felt satisfaction when he took all of our money.

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: November 15, 2006 08:22

Oh, I already saw this, it used to be called "The Life and Times of a Big, Fat, Ugly Rat" (the Rat no one wants to know) It had some good bits here and there....

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: November 15, 2006 08:29

I wonder if he's surrounded by 18 year old models all the time?

Date: November 15, 2006 08:34

There's not enough money, even in the Stones camp....

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: November 15, 2006 08:36

I'd like to see Bill Graham come back and kick his ass. I would pay $450 to see that.

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: November 15, 2006 11:20

What's the problem with Michael Cohl? I never get this. He is after all a Rolling Stones employee. Not a dictator who staged a coup and completely changed the direction of this band. They were money mad long before he made an appearance. He may have influence but Mick is no dummy. The high ticket prices, shortened set-lists, stadium tours and total lack of studio output are all down to Mick and Keith. Give this guy a break!!!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: November 15, 2006 11:28

iamthedj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MGive this guy a break!!!

any limb in particular?

Date: November 15, 2006 14:16

yeah, start with that GROSS AQUALUNG Beard.....

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 15, 2006 15:34

So, nobody has seen it?
I didn't want to start a Micheal Cohl bashing thread 'ere.

Date: November 15, 2006 15:43

Yeah, It's on Amazon, there's no reviews cause NO ONE CARES. I've seen a short interview with him on 60 minutes or some thing - just another hard core, heartless businessman trying to look like a hippie - no big deal, he's not the only one to suck on the blood of the true artists and musicians, nothing new. I'd rather watch my wonderful little dog have a satisfying bowel movement......he comes back SO HAPPY, with his tail waging....

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: November 15, 2006 15:46

Wasn't there an hour long special on Candian TV about Cohl this year? Did anyone record it?

Date: November 15, 2006 15:56

Does anyone honestly believe that the poor little rock stars have had their minds corrupted by some heartless corporate business man? If so I suggest that you reconsider. Jagger is a businessman himself. Perhaps the most successful in the business. Cohl is a simple employee, carrying out the wishes of Jagger. Whether you want to believe it or not!

Date: November 16, 2006 15:13

Sorry but it does make a difference. The Stones under Bill Graham were much different then now (or since they started with Mr. Rat Michael Cohl). Also, the reason you don't have a perfect copy of a DTS surround sound LADIES AND GENTLEMEN DVD in your insightful little hands at this very moment is a one Mr Allen Klein. Yeah, we ALL KNOW Jagger is a businessman - LONDON SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS - but the people he works with make a difference. Jagger doesn't operate in a vacumm - he has ton of hands pushing and pulling on him and he's gonna be highly influenced and have his mind changed here and there.... (so, once again, Cohl is a piece of garbage)

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 16, 2006 15:18

They should never have thrown Andrew over board.

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: November 16, 2006 15:31

MicksBrain Wrote:
> Jagger doesn't operate in a vacumm - he has ton of
> hands pushing and pulling on him

Mmmmm

Posted by: Monty5 ()
Date: November 16, 2006 15:38

Bingo Wrote:
> I'd like to see Bill Graham come back and kick his
> ass. I would pay $450 to see that.

Would $450 buy a floor ticket for this event or one in the upper level?

Date: November 16, 2006 15:55

MicksBrain, while I respect your opinion, I have to say you are wrong! The reason the Stones were different under Bill Graham is very simple. It was the 60's/70's and rock and roll had not yet become the corporate monster it is now. Nobody more than this band helped make it so more than the Stones, who charged ridiculous prices for tickets in the 60's too. Bill Graham disliked Jaggers business/money minded approach to music as early as 1969 and has gone on record saying so.
Jagger is influenced not only by people working for him but also other bands developments in the financial field. At the end of the day the last word is Jaggers. Cohl is an employee, who joined the Stones family twenty years after it was clear that they were money mad. He no doubt has come up with new money-spinning plans but thats his job.
If people want to believe that Cohl is the reason behind all of this bands faults they have no idea who The Stones are!

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: November 16, 2006 19:06

It is a very good documentary with lots of Stones footage and interviews with Mick and keith, Cohl's wife and children, business associates. It was a realistic view of some of his business practices, hard driving work ethic and disposition as a MEAN SOB according to his son. They address some of the legal accusations that the press has made over the years and you have to wonder how he got away with some of the stuff he has pulled. Legal or illegal? If it weren't the world of rock 'n roll, you would have to wonder if he could get away with some of the monopolizing stunts he has pulled.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 16, 2006 19:14

Since it is the music BUSINESS sometimes people learn from their mistakes. Perhaps the Stones wouldn't be consider "money mad" by some if Allen Klein had not taken such a huge advantage of them when they were young.

Anyone who works for a living in any field eventually gets sick of being taken advantage of if they are ruled by unscrupulous people.

Bill Graham was not exactly the most clean-cut of rock promoters.

It will be interesting to see how the Stones feel about Cohl after this leg of the tour is over. Perhaps they will agree that mistakes were made on all sides, not just Cohl's?

You can hardly blame the Stones if fans choose to spend their money flying across America and Europe to see every possible show. I suppose this could be compared in some ways to being a "shopaholic."

I didn't like paying several hundred dollars for Stones tickets but the shows gave me my money's worth, and I don't regret a thing. One of the shows I had hoped to see, flying from Los Angeles to Paris, was cancelled and while I lost dough and was inconvenienced and disappointed I understood that the show can't always go on. I felt that Keith surviving a serious fall was more important than my pleasure and budget.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-16 22:03 by stonesrule.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: November 16, 2006 19:16

Cohl's life

He came, he stole, he died

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 16, 2006 19:24

According to the credits....Bob Saget is in it. It's gotta be good! AMERICAN TOUR'S FUNNIEST HOME VIDEOS? Remember when they had to cancel? ha ha ha ha... Remember when Keith got hit in the nuts by a t-shirt thrown by a fan? hee heee hee... And when a world famous singer couldn't sing because he had laryngitus/sore throat due to outdoor stadium concerts in October/November scheduled by MC? hilarious!!!

Bob Saget?? What the hell?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-16 19:26 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: November 16, 2006 20:49

iamthedj Wrote:
> Does anyone honestly believe that the poor little
> rock stars have had their minds corrupted by some
> heartless corporate business man? If so I suggest
> that you reconsider. Jagger is a businessman
> himself. Perhaps the most successful in the
> business. Cohl is a simple employee, carrying out
> the wishes of Jagger. Whether you want to believe
> it or not!

Amen to that brother, its silly to blame Cohl ,he WORKS for the band the ones that make the final decisions on anything that has to do with the band are The Stones themselves, to blame the messenger is stupid, the same goes when some of the know it all in the board blame Chuck for the shitty lists of songs they have played for most of this tour, Mick decides which song will be played. End of the story.

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: November 16, 2006 21:09

Does it say what he keeps underneath that hideous beard of his?

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 16, 2006 21:11

yes.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: November 16, 2006 21:47

He keeps an army of gnomes that are supposed to give their lives for him if he is attacked. I just read it on the internet.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 16, 2006 21:56

People are just jealous. Michael Cohl made the Stones available t everyone. For a price of course. Sure we hat'em all. Bill Gates. Walt Disney. Michael Cohl. Anyone who commercialize something. But what is the alternative? Wake up guys. They needed him when he arrived. Touring is not that easy. Most promoters go bankrupt. Even Michael Cohl did that once. But he learned which is a good quality and then he learned how to make our boys available to everybody. In Tokyo. In Melbourne. In Hockenheim. In Prague. In Oslo. In Tallin. In Istanbul. In Buenos Aires. In Regina. In Rio. In Hartford. Still counting. PS. Since when did the Beatles tour?

Bjornulf

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: November 16, 2006 22:03

It's all bullshit. When your successful you get a pat on the back. A weldone. But if your too successful people are jealous and hate you. So that makes me ok. I don't have anything.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: November 16, 2006 22:05

bv Wrote:
> People are just jealous.

Why?
I'm jealous of people who can play instruments, artists,...people like that...

Michael Cohl made the Stones available t everyone.

What?

Sure we hat'em all. Bill Gates. Walt
> Disney. Michael Cohl.

Why should we hate them? I just "hate" him for turning the stones into a company

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: November 16, 2006 22:14

Well, actually I'm jealous he can hang out with the stones and we don't

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home