Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Las Vegas Review-You Had To Be There
Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: November 14, 2006 07:23

For Stones purists and historians, this will likely go down as one of the more notable shows they've ever done. I just got back from Las Vegas this afternoon after having gone there to see the show on Saturday evening.

The set list has been posted elsewhere and I won't go into a song by song critique. That's been done ad nauseum with so many other shows. Instead, a few comments.

From talking to many people at the show, and despite the fact there didn't seem to be too many casual fans there, not a lot of people seemed to be aware that Mick Jagger's father was critically ill or that Jagger had been in London to see him. Most of the crowd then was unaware how close they likely came to not seeing this show at all. An uncomfortably disproportionate number of them were over 40 and intent on drinking like they were 20 again. Uncomfortable in the sense that many of them were likely hating life Sunday morning and not able to remember what a great show the Stones gave.

Jagger seemed more animated than usual, which is saying something. By the 4th or 5th number, I told my wife that doing the show was likely an emotional release for him. Being onstage was his "safe" place. He got a lot of love from the audience, and his "thank you's" had more meaning than normal. He didn't skimp on a lyric nor a movement. My wife, not particularly a Stones fan, commented he seemed driven by something.

Which would be a great way to describe Ronnie Wood. This was my 10th overall Stones show, and easily the best I've ever seen Wood perform. For my money, he seemed to be the leader of the band in Vegas. Never have I heard his guitar parts be so crisp, his focus so keen, his energy so infectious. If a headline were to be written of this show, it would be something along the lines of "Jagger and Wood Tell Band They'll Take It From Here". One song in particular made the crowd realize they were witnessing pure, unregenerated Rolling Stones. As the players all gathered around Charlie, he filled the air with thunderous drum beats. Jagger emerges as one with a harmonica as he proceeds to rip into Midnight Rambler. Wood was stellar throughout the song. It was easily the best version I'd ever seen or heard, and Jagger seemed possessed.

While Jagger's voice seemed ragged in spots, and at one point on the B stage he said he was "as dry as the desert", the voice problems that have plagued him weren't going to beat him this night. Sway, Streets of Love, She Was Hot and Sympathy For The Devil were vocal standouts. Towards the end of the show, Jagger did seem to be running on fumes, but you could tell this was one he had to do.

Of course, none of us who knew about Joseph Jagger's illness knew he had passed away before the show. The benefit of hindsight makes the bows and final goodbyes of the evening all the more poignant. The entire stage group took their bows, then the four Stones. Instead of Mick being the last to leave, Keith and Ron led Mick away and Charlie Watts, of all people, did the final waves goodbye to the audience, all of whom saw one hell of a show.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-14 07:29 by Long John Stoner.

Re: Las Vegas Review-You Had To Be There
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: November 14, 2006 07:26

Thanks Long John, I SO MUCH WISH I could see one of these shows with Ron Wood on fire. I will have to find a DVD.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 14, 2006 07:58

What a great review! Thanks so much for sharing your passion with us! Man I wish I could have seen it! I hope it circulates on DVD. Wanna see Ronnie on fire!

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: November 14, 2006 08:01

Long John Stoner really told it like it was.....

I knew before the show of Jagger's trip and Joe's passing and it just made the whole thing more magical. It was definitely Joe's show!

Boise will be a celebration of his life and I wish you could all be there.... just do it in spirit anyway, Sarah, aka Sparkly top

Posted by: triplelicks ()
Date: November 14, 2006 09:14

Thanks for the great review LJ Stoner. I hadn't heard about the final bows - that's incredible.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 14, 2006 09:18

Keith and Ron led Mick away.....very touching.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 14, 2006 11:20

Thank you Long John. Nice review!
I thought many people did know about Joe Jagger's illness.
And I like Sarah did find out about the death and was worried that he couldn't g6 on, until I realized he'd do it anyway. Mick seemed more emotional than usual, with good reason of course, and more talkative.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 14, 2006 11:35

Thanks for the review from this special night.

Date: November 14, 2006 11:38

<For my money, he seemed to be the leader of the band in Vegas>

That was also my impression on the Bergen (Norway) gig. Ronnie really was the driving guitar force there.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 14, 2006 11:38

Great review. I read also that whereas Keith usually does his "I'm not worthy" bow to Charlie, on this night he did it for Mick. A quite unprecedented show of affection, I'd have thought.

Posted by: Gunnar ()
Date: November 14, 2006 12:14

Thank you, Long John!
Your review is very well written and moving. I appreciate it a lot. I love this band and my respect for their history and ongoing efforts is immense. God Bless the Rolling Stones!

Posted by: dj ()
Date: November 14, 2006 13:40

Thanks, John. Great review. Very moving. Another reason to be in awe of this amazing band.

Posted by: Tralala ()
Date: November 14, 2006 13:59

Yes, thanks! I don't think a review has ever moved me like this one. I only wish I'd been there. Not only for the show, but also to show sympathy and support. And I would probably have cried like a baby when Keith and Ronnie led him off stage. I guess that was a magical moment.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: November 14, 2006 14:15

Excellent.......

Posted by: OILY_DIPSTICK ()
Date: November 14, 2006 14:16

A fine review, and fine comments to follow.
The best contribution to the forum for a long time.
Unity when it's needed.

God Bless The Stones, Oily.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: November 14, 2006 15:14

WOW !!! That gave me goose bumps. Thanks for sharing that.

Posted by: PedroThePimp ()
Date: November 14, 2006 16:22

Is there a boot of this show yet?

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: November 14, 2006 17:35

Thank you for your words. I agree with your review/comment. The best show I have ever seen Ron Wood play- no messing around. No pointing to the crowd. He totally ripped it up! Amazing show!

Posted by: bat _outta_hell ()
Date: November 14, 2006 18:48

Long John...for the lack of a better term, off the cuff..your review was
spot on!!
Thanks for taking the time and effort, it was eloquent.

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: November 14, 2006 18:52

Yes LJS is right, it was a very loud (even up in the Balcony) and intense concert, one of the very best, and so good to hear them in a relatively intimate Arena setting, after the Euro stadiums tour.

I hadn't accessed the Web or my emails since early Wednesday, so when I read just around 4 hours before the concert about the death of Mick's father, my immediate thought was f... it, here we go again, another cancellation but this time I'm thousands, rather than hundreds, of miles from home. I tried to put aside those selfish thoughts to try and put myself in Mick's shoes, wondered would it be best to delay the grief and find comfort in that world that is the stage, doing what he loves the most and surrounded by his second family ie. fellow musicians and those of us that have long been following the circus.

I'm sure there were concerns about the potential criticism and financial repercussions if the Stones were to cancel or postpone yet another date, but Mick made the decision that 'the show must go on' and they gave a performance none of us priviliged few that were there will forget.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 14, 2006 19:30

Thank you for that very poignant review. It's very moving and gratifying to read about the silent show of support for Mick from his fellow Stones.

I wholeheartedly agree about Ronnie - his guitar-playing star seems to be shining extremely brightly of late.

Posted by: Fredluvzstones ()
Date: November 14, 2006 21:22

Great writeup John! Thank you!
Fred Hardin
Pleased to meet you.......

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: November 14, 2006 23:55

Thanks, John. Great review especially because you mentioned the touching moments of the show. After having read all the reviews of the lucky people who were there it seems this was obviously a very special night.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: November 15, 2006 00:28

....so how was Bonnie Raitt?

Posted by: jrg ()
Date: November 15, 2006 02:16

I was walking near the MGM about 4 PM, on the way back to my hotel to get ready for the show. When I approached Treasure Island, I noticed the billboard reporting the Joe Jagger had passed away earlier in the day. I felt like I was just punched in the stomach. I knew the show was not cancelled since MGM was still showing the Stones billboard. I spoke with a few hardcore RS fans who were not aware of Joe's death. I was surprised that hardly anyone I spoke with knew.
As far as the concert is concerned, It was unbelievable. Certainly a different concert in a very positive way. MJ was more energetic than I have ever seen him be. He was speaking a lot more to the fans than usual and appeared to be in a very festive/positive mood. Ronnie was unbelievable as were the rest of the Stones. Dean Goodman's review is right on about Keith when he leaped off the ramp to the main stage. My heart stopped for a second, but Keith was very much in control. A memorable moment for me is during You Got The Silver when Ronnie was playing a riff and Keith kneeled down on one knee in front of Ronnie and looked up to him with a smile as if Keith was the biggest Ronnie Wood fan.
MJ put his arm around Ronnie more than usual as if they were best of friends.
What was different at the end of the show is that Charlie was the last off stage and spent extra time waiving both arms to the fans behind, on the side and in front of the stage. Charlie had the biggest smile on his face while doing so.
It was not the RS show that I expected, but much better. Something different was happening and I loved it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-15 20:21 by jrg.

Posted by: woodish ()
Date: November 15, 2006 02:35

excellent review long john yet i can't help but notice you don't mention KEITH at all. how was he looking and playing??? did RONNIE carry him the whole show?

Date: November 15, 2006 02:45

Lukester..long time no type to you. Hope all is well with you.
We walked in and Bonnie Raitt was BOOMING. I thought oh crap I shoulda brought earplugs. It was reverberating. What a beautiful voice...she was just outstanding as was her band. Her keyboard guy Cleary is amazing.

Posted by: Lukester (IP Logged)
Date: November 14, 2006 02:28PM

....so how was Bonnie Raitt?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 15, 2006 02:46

jrg wrote

John is right about Keith when he leaped off the platform. My heart stopped for a second, but Keith was very much in control....

jrg Dont fully get what you mean....can you please elaborate on this ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: November 15, 2006 03:20

bat _outta_hell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lukester..long time no type to you. Hope all is
> well with you.
> We walked in and Bonnie Raitt was BOOMING. I
> thought oh crap I shoulda brought earplugs. It was
> reverberating. What a beautiful voice...she was
> just outstanding as was her band. Her keyboard guy
> Cleary is amazing.
>
>
>
> Posted by: Lukester (IP Logged)
> Date: November 14, 2006 02:28PM
>
>
> ....so how was Bonnie Raitt?

Hey bat,
It has been a long time. I wondered what happened to you. So this is twice you've seen the Stones in Las Vegas this tour? ....and thanks for the Bonnie Raitt feedback. I've always loved her. I met her in 1977 at my college. She's a foot and a half shorter than I am...great slide guitarist.
Take 'er easy.

Date: November 15, 2006 03:25

Lukester Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> bat _outta_hell Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Lukester..long time no type to you. Hope all is
> > well with you.
> > We walked in and Bonnie Raitt was BOOMING. I
> > thought oh crap I shoulda brought earplugs. It
> was
> > reverberating. What a beautiful voice...she was
> > just outstanding as was her band. Her keyboard
> guy
> > Cleary is amazing.
> >

Been reading off and on...but not posting much. Yes 2nd time for me...and my feet haven't hit the ground yet, from Saturday

Came by to say hi, missed your great sense of humor!
Take care.
> >
> >
> > Posted by: Lukester (IP Logged)
> > Date: November 14, 2006 02:28PM
> >
> >
> > ....so how was Bonnie Raitt?
>
>
>
> Hey bat,
> It has been a long time. I wondered what happened
> to you. So this is twice you've seen the Stones in
> Las Vegas this tour? ....and thanks for the
> Bonnie Raitt feedback. I've always loved her. I
> met her in 1977 at my college. She's a foot and a
> half shorter than I am...great slide guitarist.
> Take 'er easy.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1979
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home