Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Best ever version of Brown Sugar (mp3 posted)
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 26, 2006 16:04

I just listened to this track, and as much as I love the studio version and the ones from '72 and '73, this has gotta be the best recorded version I've ever heard of Brown Sugar -- Paris 1970 (whatever the date was). It's included as a bonus track on the Pittsburgh '72 bootleg "The Royal Dragon", and it's apparently a soundboard. I wonder where the rest of this concert is in this quality?!

Anyway, take a listen if you're up to it.

[www.update.uu.se]

Re: Best ever version of Brown Sugar (mp3 posted)
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 26, 2006 16:05

The Black Box version aint too bad either.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 26, 2006 16:42

I'll take the one from Juilliard over any version I've heard in the last three decades

Proof that they can nail a great version of it even without the saxophone

Posted by: southboundtrain ()
Date: October 26, 2006 16:50

The bass, drums and sax are heavy in this recording, which disqualifies it as being "best" in my book.

Posted by: russr ()
Date: October 26, 2006 16:59

Wow. This version is so much clearer, cleaner and present than the Paris 1970 CD I have.

Do you know who put this out? The whole show may be better.

Thanks.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 26, 2006 17:00

still amazes me everytime i hear it........why this song towers above so many others is a beautiful mystery

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 26, 2006 17:01

The Juliard version is fantastic,as is the rehersal take. Ronnies performance is nothing short of sublime. They proved they don't need any back up whatsoever.

One of my favourite versions is the one on Love You Live

Date: October 26, 2006 17:07

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the "Juliard version"?

The one I posted may be heavy with sax, but I like it mostly for the blastin' tempo, the drawn out guitar noodling and Taylor's leads all over it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 26, 2006 17:28

the version from the ABB press conference at Juilliard School of Music on 10 May last year

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: October 26, 2006 17:34

Those early Brown Sugar's were great. A good example would be the Leeds, 1971 version, same show as where the Let It Rock for release came from.

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: October 26, 2006 18:28

That solo in the end is really fabulous, thanks a lot! Any chance to post this in a downloadable format?

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: October 26, 2006 20:32

My fav version is the flip side to @#$%& Blues with Clapton on guitar.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 26, 2006 23:20

I like the footage of Jagger entering through the tongue, and Richards rocking on his Stratocaster from the CS Blues movie.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: October 27, 2006 00:05

Altamont is great, 1976 Knebworht or Paris (the one on 25X5, flatbedtruck clip with overdub)

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: October 27, 2006 05:39

I am fairly certain it is the same version that is on "Shake Your Hips," the VGP two disc set from Berlin 9/16/70 and Paris 9/23/70. The last song on the Paris disc is BS described as "On Line Recording." This Paris show is a really nice recording. As for this performance of BS...I cannot think of another performance quite like it. After Jagger says "Come on!" Taylor solos the snot out of it. Unusual for that song. At the end Jagger screams and gives some excited "Alright's!" And in case you missed my point: He solos the SNOT out of it. :-)

BTW: The DF performance from the Berlin show is notable. Jagger's mic blows. The song sounds as if it is played as an instrumental. It's a nice listen. Keith and Taylor can hold my interest even without vocals.

Posted by: Keith The Beast ()
Date: October 27, 2006 06:14

That's a damn good version of Brown Sugar, first time I hear a version of it without the sax solo. My personal favorite is the one from Four Licks, from Twickenham. Everyone is perfect on that version, I really love it.

Posted by: Anderson ()
Date: October 27, 2006 12:56

Any version (that I've heard) from the 1972 tour beats everything else before or since, including the Sticky Fingers version. Since 1990 it's been sung to flat, of course.

Date: October 27, 2006 18:01

I hadn't thought about that "On-Line Recording!" thing on the Paris CD, and never noticed any difference in sound. But that bonus track on The Royal Dragon always impressed me. Probably the same recording, maybe different sources. Either way, those '70 shows are amazing. I recently put on Essen '70, and it's easily one of my favourite Stones boots (along with Brussels '73, about half of '72 and Sydney 27th Feb '73). A pity they're so few in listenable quality.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: October 27, 2006 18:22

This is one of the coolest versions I've heard, but I prefer the live version on L&G and another good one is the one from '75 on the flat bed truck -probably the most energetic!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: October 27, 2006 18:26

I will second Anderson's comments. Generally speaking the '72 versions of BS are my favorites. It was a great, concise and brisk opening song used to introduce the musicians. In '73 Taylor often played slide for the first part and fingered the second. I prefer the fingered versions of '72. It covered a lot of ground in less than 4 minutes. I really do not like the stretched out versions they often play today. I feel the same way about the extended JJF's, Satisfaction's and TD's. The band does not make much happen in those final minutes and frankly I lose interest.

The recordings from the '70 period are frustrating. Many are very listenable and I am pleased to hear them. They are trying to be good recordings, but you'd like them to be just a bit better.

I once read someone's opinion that for various reasons the '70-'71 period was the band at its best. I am not sure I agree with that statement, but I understand why it was said.

Date: October 27, 2006 18:28

S.T.P Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> another
> good one is the one from '75 on the flat bed truck
> -probably the most energetic!

That's Paris June 7th 76, if you're thinking about the 25X5 version.

Date: October 27, 2006 18:36

Erik_Snow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's Paris June 7th 76, if you're thinking about
> the 25X5 version.

Hei Erik-Snow, no I'm thinking on the actual version from BBC radio I think?

Date: October 27, 2006 18:51

Here is the one I'm refering to:

[download.yousendit.com]

Date: October 27, 2006 19:00

Oh yes, STP, I believe you! I just didn't think that version was that highly regarded, due to the soundquality...therefor I assumed Paris 76.

Date: October 27, 2006 19:05

Yes too bad about the sound quality, the backing vocals are excellent!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1506
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home