Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: Deconstructing the 1973 European Tour
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 9, 2015 07:03

Regardless of what has been said here, Richards said himself that the band was hot off the road and wanted to get into the studio to record what became the It's Only Rock and Roll album.

In my personal opinion, '72 was really tight and so was early '73, then they became coked out mad men (although extremely listenable) on the European leg and eventually by '75 I can't get into it. I need to check out '78 because I am not a fan of Jagger's vocals in '75.

Bitch, Sweet Virginia, HTW, Silver Train, and 100 Years Ago were all played in Europe '73, but dropped for whatever reason.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: May 9, 2015 13:07

TravelinMan
In my personal opinion, '72 was really tight and so was early '73, then they became coked out mad men (although extremely listenable) on the European leg and eventually by '75 I can't get into it. I need to check out '78 because I am not a fan of Jagger's vocals in '75.

Bitch, Sweet Virginia, HTW, Silver Train, and 100 Years Ago were all played in Europe '73, but dropped for whatever reason.

I do not see much drug affects on the 1973 European tour, as opposed to 1975/76, especially Jagger's voice. I mean, the Brussels performance of Midnight rambler might be the best Stones live recording of all time (on a par with the 1969 GYYYA Version, of course). They were simply brillant, and the new songs added a special flavor. Remember , it was the Glam Rock era. The audience recordings prove that the actual sound was represented on the soundboard recordings. Unfortunately they did not release the Newcastle recording in glorious stereo.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 9, 2015 17:37

Don't get me wrong, it's probably my second or third favorite tour. It just seems a lot faster than the previous tours.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 9, 2015 18:12

TravelinMan
Regardless of what has been said here, Richards said himself that the band was hot off the road and wanted to get into the studio to record what became the It's Only Rock and Roll album.

The 1973 European Tour contains some of the greatest Rolling Stones concerts. Not only London, Newcaste, Rotterdam, Brussels and Berlin, but also Frankfurt and some others are simply fantastic.

Very understandable that they didn't Sweet V. in Europe; Silver T. seemed to be too similar to All Down The Line. And maybe they found 100 Years Ago too difficult in the end. A pity, because it sounds great on the otherwise not so good audience boots. Btw: they didn't drop HTW. It has been played at least in Rotterdam, Brussels and Berlin I know by heart.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 9, 2015 18:23

72 beats 73 for me although I like both. 72 Had a more eclectic mix of styles and sound with the choice of songs, more Keith Solos, Bobby Keys, Jim Price and Nicky Hopkins. The 73 winter tour is kind of an extension of STP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-09 18:24 by ryanpow.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 9, 2015 18:30

ryanpow
72 beats 73 for me although I like both. 72 Had a more eclectic mix of styles and sound with the choice of songs, more Keith Solos, Bobby Keys, Jim Price and Nicky Hopkins. The 73 winter tour is kind of an extension of STP.

Well, just a matter of taste. I personally love the 1972 tour very much, but the 1973 tour even more, perhaps because I was there too, when they played in Rotterdam.

I think Billy Preston was certainly on par with Nicky H. Besides I like the band more when it's just the band playing, so the less horns the better. And as for Keith's live solos ...

The 1973 winter tour is in my ears a phenomenon of its own. A transition from the 1972 tour to the European 1973 tour or something.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: May 16, 2015 14:28

saltoftheearth
HEILOOBAAS
Keith plays furious rhythm but Mick T.'s 'fill' kicks in the afterburners. For years I have struggled w/trying to define what it was in 1973 that set the Euro/UK tour apart from the 1972 STP tour. One word - UNINSPIRED. Out of all the 72 shows I've heard, the only one that truly sucks is Ft. Worth #1. For some strange reason Keith doesn't start playing right away, the tidal way excitement leaks out, Mick stands there muttering and the concert is lost. But that show is arguably better than any from the Fall 73 tour. Mick's vocals were pretty awful. I mean, I can't even listen to Angie except for Brussels #1.

?????

Uninspired? That's the last thing I would say about that tour. Mick's vocals were pretty awful in 1975, but 1973 was simply brillant, whereas it is clear that on any tour there are some 'runthrough' nights, you can't avoid them.We always tend to judge by present standards but in 1973 it was essential to have a guitar hero in the band. As important as Ronnie later was, he would not have fit within the 1973 lineup.

It took me something like 20+ years to come up w/the 'uninspired' definition. And I know it's my opinion. I'm just a scruffy civilian wot listens to Mick most of the time. And I will stand behind my definition. In 72 all the shows had some moment(s) of exhilarating beauty. It's just that some of the 73 Euro shows sound tired. Of course they probably were tired after playing essentially the same set for 16 months.

Date: August 26, 2017 14:28

DD
Hello.

For what it's worth, I reckon Perth 1973 (therefore, a show in between the '72 US tour and the '73 European tour) is the best live album I've ever heard by any band, full stop.
So, actually, all of you debating which of the two aforementioned tours was best are wrong. It was, of course, the Oz and NZ tour. Simple, really.

Declan

I'm reading this thread from beginning to end. So I'm gonna go get my Perth 73 cd and listen to that.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 26, 2017 16:08

I like the 1973 tours, but 1969/70 was even better. Taylor "overdid" it in 1973.

Date: August 26, 2017 16:26

69 and 72 were the best of the tours between 69-75, imo.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: August 26, 2017 17:36

The 69-73 Stones concerts belong to their best and I always enjoyed and still enjoy boots and albums of that time. Madison Square Garden 69-Altamont-Frankfurt73-Brussels73 and Rotterdam 73 are my favourites, Rotterdam for attending one of the 3 sold-out shows.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 26, 2017 19:56

TravelinMan

Me either, in that less to last paragraph of yours.
I had to go back for HG '78 but really really deeply love a whole lotta that tour.

I think this a cool thread topic; '72 so diffent from '73 in lots of ways, but hard to argue with Brussels and etc...

Date: July 12, 2018 11:59

Hi, Chelseadrugstore. I actually met a lady at Peso's Mexican Lounge on Lower Queen Anne Hill in Seattle. In September 2006 I was a regular there. And don't ask me how I connected with a stranger and found out she was at Vienna 1973. But the electricity seems to emanate from us.

In any case, I wanted to make one correction to your erudite post about Vienna. Chip Monck was most deffo not at Vienna 1973. I knew this already. But a little over a year ago Mr. Monck and I began collaborating on a project of evocative posters of the 1972 American Tour. We spoke on the phone once when he rang me from outside Melbourne, Australia, where he lives.

He told me he was not allowed to travel with the crew to the Australasia shows because Australia would only let one felon [Keith] in.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 12, 2018 12:39

69-73 Stones concerts : gold Stones live era

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: July 12, 2018 22:24

Monsoon Ragoon
I like the 1973 tours, but 1969/70 was even better. Taylor "overdid" it in 1973.

You know, in Auckland in 1973 I felt he overplayed, I was expecting the 1969 ya ya's sound. We got a lot of noodling that day in February

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 13, 2018 16:06

midimannz
Monsoon Ragoon

You know, in Auckland in 1973 I felt he overplayed

From the tape that circulated the band sounded very weak and under-rehearsed that day. To me it's the worst MT-era show.
Maybe Taylor was overplaying to compensate for the other 4? grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home