Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Deconstructing the 1973 European Tour
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 10, 2014 18:02

Silver Dagger
Why de-construct it? With Mick Taylor back in tow we should be talking about re-constructing it. >grinning smiley<

BOOM!

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: July 10, 2014 19:57

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

Taylor also saw his own decline, as well as that of the producer, the engineers and lots of others associated with the Stones.

Taylor was too modest then, unfortunately not aware of it.smiling smiley I don't hear a decline during his tenure with the Stones.

Physical and mental decline, something he has brought up numerous times himself smiling smiley

It didn't affect his playing with the Stones back then, we have to give him that one. cool smiley

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: July 10, 2014 20:00

I love the Rotterdam rehearsal from this tour , even with bad sound, imagine can you hear the music live?

Date: July 10, 2014 20:08

Rehearsal- can you hear the mobile
Best sounding cd I have of this

CD 1:
1. Rocks Off [02:35]
2. 100 Years Ago [11:49]
3. Can You Hear The Music? [08:00]
4. Hide Your Love [10:59]
5. Angie [04:56]
6. Shine A Light [02:43]
7. Star Star [07:02]
8. Gimme Shelter [12:45]
9. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) [01:45]
9. 100 Years Ago [01:39]
10. Dancing With Mr.D [07:59]
11. Brown Sugar [01:49]
CD 2:
1. Star Star [14:08]
2. Can You Hear The Music? [04:25]
3. Star Star [07:30]
3. Dancing With Mr.D [00:30]
3. 100 Years Ago [00:27]
4. Angie [04:05]
5. Jumping Jack Flash [03:40]
5. Jam [06:20]
6. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) [06:29]
7. Happy [05:00]
7. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) [01:29]
8. Can You Hear The Music? [05:49]
9. Shine A Light [02:12]
10. 100 Years Ago

Date: July 10, 2014 20:18

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

Taylor also saw his own decline, as well as that of the producer, the engineers and lots of others associated with the Stones.

Taylor was too modest then, unfortunately not aware of it.smiling smiley I don't hear a decline during his tenure with the Stones.

Physical and mental decline, something he has brought up numerous times himself smiling smiley

It didn't affect his playing with the Stones back then, we have to give him that one. cool smiley

Like I said, when a poster questioned how Taylor felt about the band and himself in 1974, I think Taylor was proud of what he did on IORR (judging by the interviews back then - and later).

Keith played brilliantly in 1978, but we might question his shape in that era. These things are not necessarily connected.

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: July 10, 2014 20:26

Chacal
Deluxtone
Regards Taylor - I've said before in '73 threads - it was at the time DE RIGEUR to have a 'hotshot' lead guitar to the fore. Think Focu and jans hammer for example. .

I assume you meant 'de rigueur' ? (= strictly obligatory, or required)

Also: Focu -> Focus ? Jans Hammer -> Jan Hammer ?

Yes Chacal, thanks. Too much haste 'Late at Night'

Date: July 10, 2014 20:35

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

Like I said, when a poster questioned how Taylor felt about the band and himself in 1974, I think Taylor was proud of what he did on IORR (judging by the interviews back then - and later).

Keith played brilliantly in 1978, but we might question his shape in that era. These things are not necessarily connected.

In '78 he was on the mend - but a shadow of his '69-'73 shape - and the band too.
Yes the band were more in gear and fired up than in '75'-76. But they would never recapture their '69-'73 form.

(I'm sure you'll disagree DP. But would you post examples from youtube of great Keith playing in '78 on a separate '78 thread).

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 10, 2014 21:04

So why did LOGIE leave???

Date: July 10, 2014 21:36

Deluxtone
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

In '78 he was on the mend - but a shadow of his '69-'73 shape - and the band too.
Yes the band were more in gear and fired up than in '75'-76. But they would never recapture their '69-'73 form.

(I'm sure you'll disagree DP. But would you post examples from youtube of great Keith playing in '78 on a separate '78 thread).

I don't need to post anything. All the fans have Some Girls Live In Texas, treasure Keith's playing there and regard it as the top of his game.

I bet Taylor thought Keith was in excellent shape in 1973/74.

Date: July 10, 2014 21:37

Agree keith1978 was awesome

Date: July 10, 2014 22:16

Deluxtone
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

I really think Keith was too much of a selfmade man to judge what his best days as a guitarist were, a matter of taste. I prefer his playing with Mick Taylor during the "golden era". Taylor and Richards got the best out of each other back then imo, be it '69, '70'71'72,'73 or '74. Even during the Stones' afterglow it shows that something "special" happens when Richards and Taylor share the stage. (Midnight Rambler CYHMN).

Date: July 10, 2014 23:00

And Taylor and Wood aren't "self-made" men? winking smiley

Date: July 10, 2014 23:11

Sure they are. I was referring to Deluxtones' remark.

---> MT, 1973.smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 10, 2014 23:37

Wow, what kind of threads IORR used to have...

- Doxa

Date: July 10, 2014 23:39

Real impressive

Date: July 10, 2014 23:40

U could actually learn stuff about the band

Date: July 10, 2014 23:45

Doxa
Wow, what kind of threads IORR used to have...

- Doxa

Some things will never change. winking smiley

Date: July 11, 2014 00:09

I still can't understand what "best" Keith got out of his playing in 1973 compared to his LMG-solo on Still Life or his playing on Down In The Hole or Bitch in Atlantic City - not to forget Hate It When You Leave from Boston or How I Wish from the Palladium. But maybe there is something I don't get with his open G-playing/strumming back then.

If so, it would really be a shame, because I have written songs and played around with the 5-stringer for 26 years...

Date: July 11, 2014 00:14

Erik_Snow
I'm familiar to your thoughts, it's an interesting subject.
They threw away the acoustic Sweet Virginia on the European Tour, and also the songs Keith shined on...Bitch and Bye Bye Johnny. Rocks Off was not a Taylor-solo-song in 72...they threw away that one too.
There were only one song left, where Mick Taylor couldn't shine on...Star Star, as Keith did the solo. You'd expect them to come up with a different setlist, if they didn't like Taylor's soloing throughout the songs.
That's a bit odd...
Just making an "but-on-the-other-side"-post, here.

Deluxetone: You should read Erik's post (he's not exactly a "Woodist"), regarding what we were debating earlier.

This post was brilliant in 2006, and still is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-11 00:15 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: July 11, 2014 03:13

DP,

We didn't get into a debate, ('73 vs. '78), nor would it be fruitful.
(Was once sent Handsome Girls. Wasn't much impressed). Erik's stuff generally is sterling.

I remember this thread from 2006.(I was a more regular presence at the time).
(When I added to it recently it I hadn't realised that it had been dug up from the past).

Infact bassplayer was a very regular presence too.

Sorry others, that's enouh of our personal asides.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 11, 2014 04:12

get back on Thread please!!

what was a beautiful read is once again hijacked...

Date: July 11, 2014 04:54

Total hijack

Date: July 11, 2014 16:54

DandelionPowderman
I still can't understand what "best" Keith got out of his playing in 1973 compared to his LMG-solo on Still Life or his playing on Down In The Hole or Bitch in Atlantic City - not to forget Hate It When You Leave from Boston or How I Wish from the Palladium. But maybe there is something I don't get with his open G-playing/strumming back then.

If so, it would really be a shame, because I have written songs and played around with the 5-stringer for 26 years...

IMO there is no room for entire and absolute truth on iorr.org when it comes to the Rolling Stones' musical abilities, let alone asking for individual musical recognition to emphasize this, at least I don't... Like I said, it's a matter of taste. But then enjoying or debating 50 years of RS, that's epinephrine and fun. There is something in it for everyone..smileys with beer

Date: July 11, 2014 16:58

Gooo
Total hijack

Is it? This was my post before some posters started picking on Keith:

"A lovely tour (judging from bootlegs) from a lovely era which they took as far as they could. In a way it ended with the 1976 tour.

Then, like so many times before, they evolved and brought in more current music in the mix. And Keith became more active on stage again, which is always a good thing for the Stones, imo.

Date: July 11, 2014 17:05

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

IMO there is no room for entire and absolute truth on iorr.org when it comes to the Rolling Stones' musical abilities, let alone asking for individual musical recognition to emphasize this, at least I don't... Like I said, it's a matter of taste. But then enjoying or debating 50 years of RS, that's epinephrine and fun. There is something in it for everyone..smileys with beer

I agree, but at the same time one would be blind not to notice that lots of the numbers Keith was shining on were taken away for the 1973 tour.

That a certain kind of posters claim that Keith was better off and improved his contributions without Bye Bye Johnnie, Bitch and other Keith numbers is nothing but unfathomable - it's borderline provocative, imo.

But back to topic. Like I said before I was interrupted - a lovely tour.

Date: July 11, 2014 17:30

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

I agree, but at the same time one would be blind not to notice that lots of the numbers Keith was shining on were taken away for the 1973 tour.

That a certain kind of posters claim that Keith was better off and improved his contributions without Bye Bye Johnnie, Bitch and other Keith numbers is nothing but unfathomable - it's borderline provocative, imo.

But back to topic. Like I said before I was interrupted - a lovely tour.

Keith's Chuck Berry solos, his rhythm guitar, everything he did actually, was splendid during the '73 tour. I think he shone there, not the least cause of the incredible Ampeg sound on stage. In '73 the Rolling Stones were a band for self mutilating borderliners. I was there in Rotterdam'73, and left deaf as an adder. smiling smiley

Date: July 11, 2014 17:37

There was only ONE Berry solo left for the 73 tour. Bitch and BBJ were omitted.

The open G-playing was sharper later on, imo. The Ampeg was gone in 77.

Date: July 11, 2014 17:54

Yes I know. But I still think Keith was shining during the '73 Stones tour, the best rhythm player Taylor could ask for.

Date: July 11, 2014 18:01

LuxuryStones
Yes I know. But I still think Keith was shining during the '73 Stones tour, the best rhythm player Taylor could ask for.

So THAT'S why he was shining smiling smiley

Date: July 11, 2014 18:29

That's one of the reasons indeed, and one
of the reasons Taylor was shining.
What a couple they were. smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1853
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home