Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick & Keith's solo songs as Stones songs??
Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 15, 2006 05:42

What if Keith's solo material had Mick's vocals (& general input)? What if Mick's solo material had Keith & Ronnie's input? In other words...what if all the solo projects were ROLLING STONES projects? Any thoughts? Specific songs with great potential? Example: If Mick had sang Keith's "Take It So Hard"...could it have been a classic Stones song? Food for thought.

Re: Mick & Keith's solo songs as Stones songs??
Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: October 15, 2006 09:05

I have thought of that too. Mick writes some great solo songs but they have a much different sound than the Stones. Very pop like- except for Wandering Spirit which sounded more like the Stones.

You can take some good pop sounding songs like "Visions Of Paradise" and "Don't Call Me Up", have keith add a more rock sound and make the songs even better.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 15, 2006 16:46

Yes.....Mick has always admitted that his solo stuff is more pop/dance. Although I like Mick's solo work, Keith & Ron could add a lot. When Keith put out his first solo album it received critical acclaim...but I remember one writer wondering what could have been if it had been a Stones album with Mick on vocals.

Also, while recently listening to "A Bigger Bang" I noticed some similarities to Mick's song "Throwaway"....can't remember which track. But as Keith has said, their songs all have siblings & cousins.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: October 15, 2006 19:34

Keith songs that would have been great on a Stones album: Take It So Hard, Struggle, How I Wish, 999, Will But You Wont. For Mick: Kow Tow, Just Another Night, Joy.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 15, 2006 19:35

I think that 'Wandering Spirit' would have been a hell of a Stones LP!
'Eileen' could have been sung by Mick.

'Wicked as it Seems' was sung b Mick. They called it "Love is Strong".

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: October 15, 2006 19:39

Almost Hear You Sigh was a Keith song that he had written with the Winos but didn't release. Mick obviously ended up singing it with the Stones - and you can hear how Keith's would have probably sounded if you have heard those Steel Wheels outtakes that leaked a few months ago.

Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: October 15, 2006 21:37

If Talk is Cheap had been a Stones album, it would have been the best Stones album in the last 20 years.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 15, 2006 21:44

Of course, the other members of this band, Rolling Stones, wouldn't be happy about doing the selected member's solo-songs.
The only songs I think could have been pulled of, would be I Can Feel The Fire or Sure The One You Need (played 2 times in 75). The reason: Those tracks written by Keith/Mick, they features several Stones members, and they were released as a sort of bridge from Ronnie to Stones, instead of a sidepath away from the RS.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 15, 2006 21:48

Midnight Toker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keith songs that would have been great on a Stones
> album: Take It So Hard, Struggle, How I Wish, 999,
> Will But You Wont. For Mick: Kow Tow, Just Another
> Night, Joy.

As "Kow Tow" was a personal diatribe aimed at Keith, I think there might be a problem with that one!

I think quite a few songs on that "Primitive cool" record reflect his deteriorating relationship with Keith. "Kow Tow" and "Shoot off your mouth" reflect his frustration and anger at him, and "Party Doll" sounds like a resigned and poignant farewell to their friendship. I even think that 'Throwaway' could be interpreted as reflecting on their relationship too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-15 22:07 by Gazza.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 15, 2006 22:00

Don't forget "Lonely At The Top".

Posted by: FARAWAY EYES ()
Date: October 15, 2006 22:40

I think if we put together the best stuff from Keith and the same of Mick solo, we could have got more killer Stones albums. I respect their decisions coming out with ideas on their own, but it's just a fiction, it is good though, to imagine a brandnew Stones album in 1987 or 88 'mixing ideas' of Talk Is Cheap (which I think could be a Stones album itself alone anyway) and Primitive Cool' or later on in 1992 a mix of 'Wandering Spirit' (which can be alone a Stones album as well) and 'Main Offender'.
I also think that if we put together the ideas of Mick, which led to Goddess and the songs of 40 Licks sessions we could have got a decent fresh material from the Stones in 2000/2001!

Date: October 16, 2006 00:53

FARAWAY EYES Wrote:
> > I also think that if we put together the ideas of
> Mick, which led to Goddess and the songs of 40
> Licks sessions we could have got a decent fresh
> material from the Stones in 2000/2001!

maybe but it would still have been an album of Mick songs, as Keith's entire released songwriting output between 1997 and 2005 consists of one song - the appropriately titled Losing my Touch.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 16, 2006 00:56

struggle,999,big enough would work from Keith
any Wandering Spirit stuff from Mick

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 16, 2006 00:59

Wonder what Keith could do with War Babies...?

ROCKMAN

Date: October 16, 2006 01:00

shoot them, probably!

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: October 16, 2006 01:06

Never mind Mick versus Keith, and Ronnie and so on. Put Charlie on any of these albums and you'd be very close to the Stones sound. And Bill for that matter.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 16, 2006 01:08

Yeah shoot 'em full of riffs......

Still need ya address Gazza

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 16, 2006 01:41

I don't hear Jagger singing any of Keith's songs myself. That is just what makes them special: the strange off phrasings, upside down rhyming, every verse with a different length. jagger would have a coniption and have to iron every thing out; and then they would not be the same tune any more. I mean,"Struggle" straightened out?? That is what makes it. I don't think there are 4 bars the same in that whole song.
But I can hear Keith on some of the Jagger songs, especially the later ones. On "She's the Boss" nothing. But "Wanderign Spirit" yes and even more on "Goddess". I think Keith would have been superb on all those songs.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: October 16, 2006 04:53

wandering spirit cuts to hell all the shite stones material since after undercover. that shouldve been a stones album.

Posted by: largelingerie ()
Date: October 16, 2006 08:05

Talk is Primitive

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 16, 2006 08:29

How about Wandering Offender, or Cheap Spirit

Love Talk is Cheap great disc and a lot of tunes would have fit the stones mold perfectly. Wandering Spirit is such a strong disc and sounds so much like the stones best stuff...a combination of the two as stones would have been classic! Better than any of "their" official releases as a band since, say, Some Girls??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-16 08:51 by whitem8.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: October 16, 2006 13:48

Isn't Bridges to babylon exactly the album you mean by this post?!?!?!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Brumstone ()
Date: October 16, 2006 15:14

Raoul Duke Wrote:
> If Talk is Cheap had been a Stones album, it would
> have been the best Stones album in the last 20
> years.

Totally agree!

With a smile on your face and a tear right in your eye

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 16, 2006 16:08

shit with this solo projects is that one has impresson that Keef'n'Mick put their best songs aside for them, instead of working on them as Stones projects. not each and evry solo song would be good as Stones song, but Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge would be much better albums with Stones versions of best solo tracks. hey I believe there would not even be a 5 year gap between SW and VL if they worked on solo songs in Stones context. so I believe the band suffered from solo projects. Imagine VL without some weaker songs and best of KR and MJ solo releases at the time it would be a very classic album with great great songs all over. like Exile

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: October 16, 2006 17:24

'God Gave Me Everything' would be interesting to hear with the other Rolling Stones in place of the multitracked Lenny Kravitz.

As for 'Joy', I can't imagine the song with Keith instead of Bono on vocals, and Pete Townshend's guitar part couldn't be replaced either.

The late 80s/early 90s solo stuff is OK the way that it is. Hearing one or the other of these tunes in concert would be nice though, like Throwaway, Out Of Focus or Eileen.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 16, 2006 18:00

Every song off of Primitive Cool would not work, because that LP is garbage.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 16, 2006 19:26

Hate It When You Leave
Evening Gown
God Gave Everything I want
Connection in Winos' style

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: October 16, 2006 19:32

You shouldn't take it so hard...

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: October 16, 2006 20:04

As long as Mick leaves his production ideas behind--that's what made Talk is Cheap so much better than Dirty Work.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 16, 2006 20:24

I always liked them for not doing it.
They are not the @#$%& Eagles!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1551
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home