Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rod Stewart 2006 new album
Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: October 11, 2006 18:46

What don you think about this new album?
In myu opinion very poor and sad, no power and ver cheese album, Dios mio!! what happened with Rod?¿
I saw him in concert in 2004, Los Angeles, in his show concert, half opereta and half tv show and depress, he has such a wild innate power and doing all these cheese stuff and easy money with these all albums, my god.
Hoping some friends such Ronnie Wood make change his mind some day.
carlos
tenerife, spain

Re: Rod Stewart 2006 new album
Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: October 11, 2006 19:07

Yawn! Rod is truly a dinosaur!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 11, 2006 23:52

Bought the CD yesterday for only $10 CDN (opening day special). Listened to it on the way to work this morning. Not bad, not good. Problem is that he plays the songs pretty much like the original versions so it's basically him doing karaoke!
I read a recent interview with Rod and he said words to the effect that he's bored of writing tunes and that other artists of his era release good new music but it doesn't sell ie Stones, Paul Simon, etc.
Don't think this album will sell like his previous Songbook albums did.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 12, 2006 05:57

It's crap. Rod's comment display nothing less than contempt for his audience, and confirm what we already knew -- he is a lazy artist that has wasted his talent.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: October 12, 2006 06:29

Overall, it's an easy listen and pulls it off. Strongest track to us was "I'll Stand By You"...interesting hearing a guy sing it.

Posted by: TatteredTongue ()
Date: October 12, 2006 06:55

It's getting advertised 10x more then ABB!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 12, 2006 08:27

It will be a hit because it's about as mainstream as 'rock' can get, despite a total lack of inspiration in terms of performance or concept (and song selection). TV is running ads all the time. I love Rod with the JBeck Group, Faces & 'solo' from '67 to '76 or so but this disc, which a friend played, sounds utterly lifeless.

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: October 12, 2006 09:18

One of the greatest singers of all-time bottoms out. This album is nothing more than a karaoke album with Rod singing...the song selection shows no imagination whatsoever....it's karaoke night at the Holiday Inn next to the airport in some redneck podunk town on a Saturday night. Horrid, just horrid. But it's always been about money with Rod, not art or producing anything lasting (other than his first 4-7 solo LP's and the Faces output).

I for one won't be buying it, as much as I love Rod's voice. I heard it playing in Barnes & Noble ("Best Of My Love" by the Eagles!!!!! YUCK!) and it almost sent me screaming from the store. I thought 'Body Wishes' was Rod's nadir, but that album is 'Every Picture Tells A Story' compared to this one.

So sad that Rod won't bother to write anymore...or even do an album of soul/r&b covers. I read once where Rod wanted to be remembered primarily as a songwriter. He won't be remembered for that I'm afraid. He WILL he will be remembered as The King Of Cheese. What a disgraceful waste of God-given talent.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 12, 2006 17:05

Hearing Elvin Bishop's song is worth buying.
I really appreciate Rod's and Clive Davis's choice.
My inclination is on par with "Coast to Coast Overture and Beginners".
I like it.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: October 12, 2006 17:15

the guy sold his soul to the business, making variety music as Clapton, Sting, Elton John, Phil Collins and more did.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: October 12, 2006 19:04

Rod Stewart is a complete and utter turkey.

He is to rock music what that Meatloaf guy is to hang-gliding.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 12, 2006 19:06

Sad part is Meatloaf never was anybody to begin with.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: October 12, 2006 19:09

Hey I saw Rod last night on American TV, agree with the line that all he is now
is Karaoke at a Bowling Alley Bar!! Read where Jeff Beck and Rod were in studio
recently anf Jeff bailed on the session due to Rod not being able to "hit the notes" anymore!!

Sad - Jagger sings circles around him these days..

So much for a Faces re-union..

MLC

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: October 12, 2006 19:11

Rod really needs to come back to his roots...I mean he needs some rock'n'roll, blues and folk album...just like his first albums...the new album sounds like karaoke. no soul or power!! C'mon we got a guy that can help him..that's woody!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 12, 2006 19:23

I like this CD a lot, but it's obvious that Rod has hit a severe writer's block.

Note to Rod: Grab an acoustic, have a few beers, call Ronnie Wood, and write a few good songs.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: October 12, 2006 19:36

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-29 08:36 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 12, 2006 19:48

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like this CD a lot, but it's obvious that Rod
> has hit a severe writer's block.
>
> Note to Rod: Grab an acoustic, have a few beers,
> call Ronnie Wood, and write a few good songs.

haven't bought it, but will and expect to enjoy it. Good songs; a good singer. What's not to like? I don't get it...the guy hasn't really written anything of note in decades, so that expectation is no longer relevant....

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: October 12, 2006 19:49

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-29 08:36 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: October 13, 2006 03:05

Posted by: solmask ()
Date: October 13, 2006 03:44

He should have done a covers album with Rick Rubin as producer he would have chosen some good tunes like he did with johnny cash. For me the album title is slightly misleading great rock classics of our time more like rock ballads of our time.I think the album is more for the American market than anywhere else its just a shame that a great voice is reduced to this type of karaoke.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 13, 2006 11:40

Rod can't actually like the songs that he is singing on this album. In the past, when he has been inspired, his choices have been amazing. Reason to Believe (Tim Hardin); Have I heard You Lately (Van Morrison); The First Cut is the Deepest (Cat Stevens); Downtown Train (Tom Waits); Waltzing Matilda (Waits again); Groom Still Waiting at the Alter (Dylan). I see nothing comparable on the new album tracklist.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 13, 2006 13:14

I remember Tetsu Yamauchi said to me, " We of Faces never listened to Rock and Pop music at that time.
We always loved John Mayall , Paul Butterfield Blues Band (Elvin Bishop), Dylan, Van Morrison,
Long John Baldry, The Meters, Little Feat, Bobby Womack, Sam Cooke and Otis."

I am glad to know that Rod is trying to go back to the roots.

Posted by: RedlandsRodge ()
Date: October 13, 2006 18:29

From Blender magazine Q&A with Rod

When will you make a real album with your own songs again?

Well Bono keeps telling me that I've got to start writing again, so I suppose that's the next one up. I haven't written for a long time but I've started picking up the old acoustic again.

[www.world-of-keith-richards.piczo.com]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 13, 2006 22:11

Really nice job with Dylan's "If Not For You".

Even better than Olivia Newton John's version!!! She's looking better though. Someone post a picture of her in the black leather from Grease.

Rod has always done a nice job with Bob's material.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-13 22:11 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: brokenhands ()
Date: October 14, 2006 04:30

Rod returns to rawk? Yeah, right. The guy is freakin' John Davidson, Steve Lawrence, - all those 50's/60's guys covering other people's songs - I believe the term is "vocal stylist".

Rod is AFRAID to RAWK. Rod wants to be the next Tony Bennett. Sorry Rod, Tony will ALWAYS be classier than you.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: October 14, 2006 04:38

,,,,, i heard it in an elevator today,,

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 14, 2006 04:39

rod the mod bashing sure seems to be in vogue these days. i like the bloke.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 14, 2006 05:06

Rod will get his second consecutive U.S #1 album the next week with sales of 200-220k in the first week.
The American Songbook series has sold almost 8 million copies in U.S since 2002 (Vol.1 = 3.25m / Vol.2 = 2.72m / Vol.3 = 1.82m)

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 14, 2006 05:27

Pff. Rock classics?

Hardly.

Someone should have tricked him and made him cover his own songs from the 70's...at least that would have been better than the garbage in this new cd.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: October 14, 2006 06:39

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1893
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home